Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mantle posted:

According to adwords, to compete in paid search for variants of "thin condoms" is going to be about $3.20 CPC, which I am not going to pay. What's another way I can get enough traffic to test my conversion rate before going further down this niche?

I apologize for being in cat jail (trolling in games) and taking a while to get back to your questions.

The problem search terms like "thin condoms" is too top of funnel, in the marketing sense. What I mean by this is that searches like "thin condoms" or "thinnest condoms in the world" doesn't necessary indicate buying intent. What you'll find is a lot of people searching for varying reasons like winning an argument, curiosity, homework, etc. However your hope is that they are searching so they will then buy, and a few will. What you need to find is middle or bottom of funnel searches that have higher buying intent that still have decent amount of searches or at the very least, hundreds of low searched terms with high buying intent. Most campaigns are a mixed bag of both type of keywords.

However, you'll still find that search ads will probably cost around $1 - $2 per click. My suggestion is to run Google Shopping campaign which have the highest conversion rates and one of the lowest cpcs. Unlike with Amazon, Google doesn't charge a listing fee or take a percentage of the sale. So if Joe Smith in Texas clicks your ad at $0.19 and buys a pack for $18, you made a 94.7x return. The highest CPC for G Shopping I've seen were for Honda Generators, which is extremely competitive, at $0.21. The down side of G Shopping is zero ad copy and it is extremely hard to target specific search terms. But if you know your way around Merchant Center and how Google's shopping algorithm works, your products will dominate those searches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thegasman2000 posted:

Saw this and wondered if it would be of any use to goons!
http://www.spyfu.com/

Spyfu is pretty good and gives some decent insights into searches, however I prefer SEMrush because it is slightly more fleshed out. However, the presentation is way better on Spyfu.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One of my coworkers, before working at our agency, worked for a online retailer. One of the ways they made money was selling products they saw on shark tank. Some how the owner was able to watch each episode early, and then called up the companies to sell their products if they weren't on Amazon.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 30, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fruit loop posted:

From the tools section of the OP:

What's so bad (good?) about Optimizely that means you should not go into a niche where a company uses it?

E: Oh. I thought I found something that could be sold for a few hundred dollars for a keyword where no sites have done any SEO and half the top ten are unrelated to the keyword, but it turns out that a typical item is the size of two tall people standing side-by-side and weighs 150lbs. I'm guessing this is something that I'm not going to find a fulfillment center to sell? On the other hand, seems like it can't hurt to create a testing website, no? But the SEOT * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 365 formula ends up being 1000 * 0.003 * 300 * .3 * 365 = $98,550. If it's only 10% as successful as these numbers suggest, then I'll be at about $10k per year in profit, and I would have to sell about 111 of these huge, awkward objects somehow to even get to that point.

Sounds like a no. But I noticed that the moonshine still guy has several different stills for sale, at prices from around $300 up to around $2000. This object I'm thinking of also seems to have a few variations in quality, so maybe if I got a marginally-successful site selling the cheaper items, I could expand upward from there? And I just picked $300, but you can also find these on Amazon for like $100-300.

Edit 2: I noticed that "moonshine still" has a really low SEOT of 204 despite having led to lots of money for OP of original thread. Seems like, if your price, margin, and conversion rate are high enough then a relatively low SEOT may be tolerable.

Optimizely just means that company is paying a crap load of money every month for professional marketers.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DarthJeebus posted:

I have a dumb newbie question about affiliate marketing. I've been looking through various products through various affiliate programs and a lot of the affiliate links take you to a separate (and often times badly designed) landing page. So if my landing page funnels people to another landing page how am I supposed to control for conversions at all? Should I just stick to Amazon, or are there affiliates who let me take orders directly from my own site? Not really interested in drop shipping, looking for a hands off approach for a small eventual passive income.

You don't really, which is one the hosed up things about affiliate marketing, if I am understanding your question. What basically is the goal of affiliate is getting a lot of people clicking your cookied link and hoping they buy something before clicking some else's cookied link which then overwrites your cookie, giving that rear end in a top hat the commission on your suggested purchase. If that makes sense.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lord1234 posted:

Having found a good niche, I set up a FB and Twitter page, as well as the website for my niche. I haven't started advertising yet, because I want to get the site fully vetted, but have already started posting/blogging. Obviously not a ton of followers(outside of some friends who have liked/followed). The question is: If I take content from some of my suppliers, that they already have on their page, and reblog it, will that help to increase my page rank?

Great question. Duplicated content isn't necassary bad and Google won't penalize you for it. However, your site will most likely never rank very high because of it organically. Think of it like this, there 10 sites out there with the same content as yours which also have all been indexed before yours. These site also probably have higher domain authority than your site since they been around longer. Google will show theirs, and sites with unique content, before yours since they had it first.

So having stolen content isn't bad if you are hoping to convert your traffic into sales, since the content probably has had a lot of thought put into to increase sales. But the content most likely won't bring in new traffic from Google search.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lord1234 posted:

This makes sense. How risky is this from a DMCA/takedown notice if I start reposting videos/rehosting them?

Probably none if the videos are provided/created by the manufacturer, it would also help if you also give them credit or a backlink.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lord1234 posted:

so I ran my 100$ through AdWords. These are lower search terms, but I appeared as basically the only advertiser for the entire day yesterday. I'm confused as to why it was as expensive to bid as it was. 22 clicks cost me an average of $4.54 per click. No conversions sadly and 1 abandoned cart, per google analytics. Is this something worth pursuing? Or should I just let SEO build it up in search listings? I've been actively blogging/social media posting about it, and am starting to get likes. Also have a cheap marketing strategy that I figure I can implement over the next few months.

Should I follow this?

First thing I would suggest is turning of Display Select. Also, I bet there is a way to drastically lower those CPC. What is the break down of your Quality Scores on your keywords?

EDIT: Also I am curious if there cross pollination with your campaigns and ad groups. Do you also have search terms in different adgroups or campaign that are similar queries?

Example:
Ad Group A - flat screen tv 40 inch
Ad Group B - 44 inch flat screen television

If you have pollination, you could be raising your own costs artificially by competing against yourself.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 31, 2016

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lord1234 posted:

I've removed Display Select

so I tweaked my bid down to the minimum to appear on the first page(under 2$ a click), and I'll run another 50$ to it. I did have two ads using the same keywords, so i was competing.

Quality score on KW1: 5 or 6/10
KW2: 1/10. I've disabled it, it had a high CPC compared to the other kW's too
KW3: 5 or 6/10

Should I consider paying CPA and having a purchase be an action I will pay for? Hell I'd pay 50$ per action if it happened and still make some money.

That is the idea, focusing on CPA instead of cpc. However you don't have much data, so it'll be hard to know which search terms are regular converters.

How is your ad copy and landing page? Could they be improved to raise QS?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DogsCantBudget posted:

Would sharing this info give away his niche?

It shouldn't. I'm only looking for how those factors effect the QS.

Example:

If you hover over the keywords Eligibility Status (it looks like cartoon text box) you'll see what is affecting the keyword's QS.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lord1234 posted:

Both active keywords have a quality score of 5/10. The below average bit is the Clickthrough rate.

SnatchDuster, do you have a non-forums medium to discuss on?

Just sent you a PM.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://searchengineland.com/get-priorities-straight-structuring-google-shopping-campaigns-240785

Great read on how to do G Shopping right. For all of you running search ads on Google, I highly recommend running shopping in concert.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Google is nixing the right side ads on their SERPs. This will be a slow roll out, which will affect any of you goons testing out niches.

Basically all head terms (think "nike shoes" or "buy widget") will dramatically increase in CPC since there will be less spots, with the same amount of advertisers. However, the long tail strategy will not be as effected by this update. Google made this change to force advertisers that sell products on their sites to use Google Shopping.

http://recode.net/2016/02/20/google-makes-desktop-search-look-more-mobile-ish-to-milk-more-shopping-ads-cash/

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pillowpants posted:

I wonder if my budgeting business would have benefited from this.

Using Adwords to generate leads is solid. Most of my clients are b2b lead gen companies from SaaS to Insurance. If you are a CPA or something similar than yea, you can use Adwords or Bing Ads to bring in clients.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Bee posted:

What's your pricing structure? Clients always want "A percentage of what you earn, nothing else" while my devs would prefer "a straight hourly paycheck even if we sell 3 Dinglehorfers in a quarter."

Unstated is that there's more to Adwords than just running the campaign: there's landing pages, followup, email list, standardizing client communication (so that La Petite Chaussure doesn't start its Delivery emails with "Sup, Brah?"), A/B tests and multi-platform testing...

Its a flat retainer or percent of adspend, whichever is greater.

For example:

Its $5k per month for management or 10% of adspend, the moment they spend over $50k in a month we'll charge them 10% of their budget. So if they spent $52k, we'll charge $5,200.

In my experience this is the most fair way. Because if it was commission base, like what your clients want, then what is stopping you from doing this business yourself or fudging the numbers with view through conversions, assisted conversions, etc? They hired you to be their digital marketing partner, not their sales team imo.

I know some companies like 3Q Digital that charge a flat fee + percent of adspend + commission on each sale. Which is loving insane but they got some pretty big clients so more power to them.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yehdawg posted:

I'm about to run my second test site and I was wondering if I could get some advice on the ad campaign so that this time around it doesn't fall flat- my first test ate a fat dick

If you want, I can take a look at your campaign for you and give you some feedback.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yehdawg posted:

Thanks! I'll shoot you a message in a day or two with my finished test site and the plan for my ad campaign.

Sure thing.

FYI Google increased character limits on their search ads earlier this week. Here is a little article from Word Stream regarding the changes.

http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2016/05/25/google-expanded-text-ads

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would recommend not sticking to just France, but include all of Europe if you could. If you do just France, you'll be advertising to the same population amount of Canada and California combined.

You could test just France out but man, it'll be hard to carve out a niche with only 66 million people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry folks, i was probated for a month because my trolling in PYF cosplay thread. Some big changes occurred during my vacation. However, the biggest change was to Google's search algorithm with the launching of Penguin 4.0. Below is a link to an article from Cognitive SEO how impactful backlinks are for rankings now.

http://cognitiveseo.com/blog/12071/google-penguin-4-0-recoveries/?mail

In short, your site is immediately punished or rewarded by the quality of backlinks. So if you've been creating engaging content and earning placements on high domain authorities sites (50 DA score or higher) you should see a huge uptick in traffic and rankings. If you been buying lovely links from a blog or link network, you can expect to see the opposite. Before any changes to SEO, on-site and off, would slowly trend in a direction. Most SEO changes still are that way but with back links that is no longer the case.

• Locked thread