Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to simplify the OP's formula, but for some reason it's producing absurd numbers to the point that I don't think it's doable for most niches?

SEOT * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 365 = AP (annual profit)

First we plug 250,000 into our AP, our minimum number

SEOT * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 365 = 250,000

Next we google SEOT to see that's it's calculated by taking the daily searches for a keyword times .42 to get the theoretical maximum number of possible hits for the #1 google result when searching that keyword

Daily Searches * 0.42 * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 365 = 250,000

Let's make that into monthly searches, since that's what keyword planner uses

Monthly Searches * 0.42 * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 12 = 250,000

Plug in our 0.01 for Conversion and .3 for profit margin

Monthly Searches * 0.42 * 0.01 * Retail Price * .3 * 12 = 250,000

Multiply all the known numbers

Monthly Searches * Retail Price * 0.01512 = 250,000

Divide by the number on both sides

Monthly Searches * Retail Price = 16,534,391~

Woah! That's a huge number. Let's round it, and also assume a middle of the road retail price of 100 dollars

Monthly Searches * 100 = 16,500,000

And divide

Monthly searches = 165,000

Okay, so what's an example of a niche item that has at least 165,000 average monthly searches and sells for 100 dollars?

That's just way too huge of a monthly search number for something we want to rank #1 in at such a high price.

Please advise. I'm really interested in trying to do this without market samurai, but I'm worried my calculations might be wrong with how absurd the minimum requirements are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Snatch Duster posted:

Products like this Panasonic's vent fans have over 160k monthly searches.

I tried testing this one and the honda one. Honda actually checked out to have more than you suggested, but panasonic fan has 1,600 searches monthly average. Panasonic Vent fan, 170. Panasonic Vent, 70. I wonder how market samurai is pulling the numbers it is?

edit: plurals of those search terms give a bit more, but I'm still not seeing 160,000. What's the phrase to broad match ratio?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Snatch Duster posted:

No broad match. The campaign did have over 3,600 keywords, however. These included product name, sku numbers, colloquial, and branded terms.

I would suggest staying away from broad match keywords when you do decide to test campaigns.

Edit: My point is that you can take a relatively mundane item like that panasonic fan and get huge volume by adding every possible search query related to the product.

At that point volume isn't the problem, but return. Thats if you decide to run Adwords campaigns.

Okay, so just that I'm clear, the goal is to rank #1 for multiple related key words, not a singular broad match keyword, correct?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

Do any of you marketing guys have any advice for me? I keep meaning to pursue this and stop. (I even PM'd Golden Bee once).

I need to find motivated sellers in real estate. People who don't have the money to fix their house to sell it with an agent, people who need to sell quick whatever. I got my start in mobile homes, which is not so competitive, but houses are. I am sending mailers to various categories of buyers (ex bought '06-'08, 2/3rds avg market value, absentee, etc), but basically it costs at least 50 cents a touch, so 1,000 houses costs 500 bucks to mail.....and for all I know all 1,000 have no desire to even sell their house. I have no web presence. I set up a crappy capture page but it really sucks. Every few months I say I am going to figure it out and get confused. I have never gotten a lead online

What is the best way to market for local stuff like this? I hired some guy when I first started but he basically stole from me. I just need people who type things like "sell my house fast" from around me (central NC) to go to my website and put their info in my form so I can call them. Where do I start?

By the way, very interesting information from the OP. I think I remember reading your old thread once, or someone like you. This type of business sounds amazing.

Pair keywords for your city, your business address, and other geographical identifiers with your business keywords that you want people to look for. Google is smart enough to show people in your area your results when they type your field into google. After all, it's local.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I feel pretty confident in my abilities to create a good website SEO wise, but I'm terrible at design. I just have no aesthetic eye at all. I also don't like the idea of spending money for a website designer. What's the best option?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

BossRighteous posted:

Welcome to WordPress.
http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

There are ton of really good themes <$100, many in the$30-$50 range. Most $10/m hosting plans have options to auto-configure WordPress, and from there theme installation takes only a few minutes. The higher end themes have more options and take longer to tweak but this is your best bet. If you go this route feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need help.

I already use wordpress and own a premium theme. It doesn't look bad, it just doesn't look good. I have no sense of style. That make sense?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

duckmaster posted:

Doesn't Market Samurai use data from Bing now? Won't this affect SEOT quite a bit?

The SEOT data is still Google, I believe. It's all the other stuff that's Bing.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Snatch Duster posted:

Absolutely, it was great chatting with you and I am looking forward to working together in the coming months.

Also, for everyone thinking about how to do SEO on your own here is a great guide.
http://webris.org/complete-guide-to-seo-for-lawyers-attorneys/

Sure it is about lawyers, but you can apply the same strategy to your site/niche.

Woah, that's a high quality link with great advice. Will definitely be using some of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What's the status of SEO now hat google has locked adwords keyword tools giving accurate results behind a paywall? I woke up one day to see that and, as someone who primarily uses it for market research, now I feel plum outta luck.

• Locked thread