Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is it still possible to use Google's keyword planner for this? I'm putting some keywords in, but it's only giving me search ranges (10k-100k, super useful) and I'm not sure how that compares to SEOT numbers.

Also, is protective equipment (or really anything that could cause injury in the event of failure) a bad idea for this? I'm wondering if I'd be opening myself up to litigation if anything ever happens.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Sorry for the double post, but I have some revised questions if anyone still reads this thread.

I went back and re-read the old thread. According to that, SEOT is about 42% of total search volume. Since Google doesn't directly show volume anymore, I'm wondering if my workaround is valid:

I put an absurdly high maximum CPC in, and found that the number of projected impressions levels off at around 16000 per month. This means that there are about 16000 total searches for that term per month, right? Or is there something I'm not accounting for?

Pretty much every niche keyword I have researched brings up Google Shopping results. In some cases, the shopping results are in a banner at the top and text ads are only shown at the bottom of the page. What is causing text ads to not show above the fold? Also, should I be focusing on Google Shopping placement instead of text ads, regardless of whether text ads appear before search results?

Biggest question: From what I can gather between this thread and the SEO stuff I've been surrounding myself with the past few days, getting ranked highly requires high quality backlinks and a broad site with a fair amount of content. I'm trying to figure out how this could work outside of hobbyist niches. For example, if my niche was "shoe organizers," how am I supposed to build a site filled with quality content around that? Should I just avoid niches that don't cater to content generation?

• Locked thread