Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

oliveoil posted:

How do people feel about affiliate marketing? That's the one where companies give you free products and coupon codes that you use to entice customers on their behalf, right? I thought that sounded like a neat way to make money online, but it seems like if your clients aren't giving you good freebies and discounts, you're not going to send them any customers, so you're not going to make any money. Do you just keep looking through companies until you find some that give freebies and work predominantly with them?

The bottom recently fell out on this on the Amazon side, as they purged tons of reviews that weren't verified purchases. I believe their policy going forward is that pay-for-play reviews (e.g. get a free thing and review it on the Amazon store) can get a seller account banned.

As far as doing it as a content provider (e.g. you have a blog and want people to give you free stuff to review on it) it's all pretty niche, and I believe the only really successful people doing it have enormous specific audiences relating to that category of audience. This was common in the "mom" category a few years ago where if you ran any kind of quasi-popular blog related to baby crap you'd have free stuff coming out of your ears.

A correction though, affiliate marketing is any case where you provide traffic/leads to an eventual seller. So for example, just having an Amazon link to a product page with your affiliate id is affiliate marketing. Another would be where you have a link to GoDaddy and someone registers a domain using your affiliate link, etc etc. There doesn't have to be any coupons or free product involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread