Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
So the OP says we want to rank #1 on Google for a bunch of search terms... How big of a time investment is that for someone who knows what they're doing? 40hrs/wk for four weeks? I figure there has to be lots of work since people are employed doing it.

jabro posted:

I do FBA and you can make money if you know what you're doing. You can link them from your blog, I guess, but you won't beat Amazon's traffic that is already going to them. You need to find product that has high ranking (top 5% of your main category, not sub category, is a good rule of thumb) and not many competitors. Better if Amazon isn't selling it themselves, too.

How do you handle the logistics? I heard that you need to order everything to your home, slap your own label on it, and then ship to Amazon. Otherwise you'll get randomly shut down one day since Amazon puts all items together in its warehouses and someone will often grab a competitors item when a customer orders your item, since Amazon considers them all to be the same. Then you're screwed if your competitor cheaped out on fake product, since your customer will complain that YOU sent them something fake, and Amazon will immediately disable your account and demand you stop selling fake poo poo.

fruit loop fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Is a SEOT score of > 1000 actually a thing that happens for keywords that aren't just a single word that could mean several things that don't necessarily signal buying intent? I've only done about an hour of keyword research but I haven't found one. On the other hand, that's probably expected if such keywords are so good, no? I imagine months of keyword research would be worth it when you finally find the right product and keywords.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
So how come the OP doesn't mention SEOV? Seems like SEOV is one way to show potential of keywords that have a low SEOT - just as 0.01 * SEOT * price * margin is a way to guess the potential of keywords that have a high SEOT but low SEOV.

Is SEOV useless or something? It's SEOT times the average adwords CPC for a keyword. Seems like a decent way to get an idea of how profitable a keyword could be, if you could somehow rank for it, given that other people have already noticed first and are spending tons of money on it. Or is that why we don't use it? So our ideal keyword would be mostly undiscovered, with a high SEOT and a relatively low SEOV?

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Anyone know how wrong the Market Samurai SEOT numbers are? Seems like the highest sub-1000 SEOT score I've seen is 835, and the lowest super-1000 SEOT score I've seen is 1022. The thing is, I've seen a ton of keywords with SEOTs of 835, and I'm wondering just how many of those might actually be keywords with > 1000 SEOT that MS is simply innaccurate for.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Yes, that's how SEOT is defined. That doesn't mean it's accurate. It could be that there are only a handful of numbers used to estimate search volume, even though the real numbers might be much different.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Just remembered I posted that question. ^

Yeah, so looks like Google's keyword tool itself does not give exact numbers. There are just a handful of numbers that a keyword may have for monthly traffic.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015

Mantle posted:

I'll rely on the goodwill of goons to not snipe my idea.

Don't do this. Even if goons weren't going to (there's very likely someone who will), you should know that sometimes non-goons can read, too.

Back when erotica thread was thing, there were people who were getting negative reviews and ripoffs of the successful stories mentioned in the thread. And there are certainly other - more tightly-knit - forums where jumping in on niches other people posted in confidence is a thing.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Is it really still possible to make real money with this? I found a couple dozen keywords that seemed good a while back, but stopped short of checking whether I could rank for them because it seems like even a 1-in-100 chance of finding a keyword that has real potential is too good to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
From the tools section of the OP:

quote:

Ghostery - Tag analysis tool that lets you see what competitor is doing on their site. Are they running G Analytics? Are they using Optimizely (if so drop this niche)?

What's so bad (good?) about Optimizely that means you should not go into a niche where a company uses it?

E: Oh. I thought I found something that could be sold for a few hundred dollars for a keyword where no sites have done any SEO and half the top ten are unrelated to the keyword, but it turns out that a typical item is the size of two tall people standing side-by-side and weighs 150lbs. I'm guessing this is something that I'm not going to find a fulfillment center to sell? On the other hand, seems like it can't hurt to create a testing website, no? But the SEOT * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 365 formula ends up being 1000 * 0.003 * 300 * .3 * 365 = $98,550. If it's only 10% as successful as these numbers suggest, then I'll be at about $10k per year in profit, and I would have to sell about 111 of these huge, awkward objects somehow to even get to that point.

Sounds like a no. But I noticed that the moonshine still guy has several different stills for sale, at prices from around $300 up to around $2000. This object I'm thinking of also seems to have a few variations in quality, so maybe if I got a marginally-successful site selling the cheaper items, I could expand upward from there? And I just picked $300, but you can also find these on Amazon for like $100-300.

Edit 2: I noticed that "moonshine still" has a really low SEOT of 204 despite having led to lots of money for OP of original thread. Seems like, if your price, margin, and conversion rate are high enough then a relatively low SEOT may be tolerable.

fruit loop fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 2, 2015

• Locked thread