Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

trescoole posted:

I've been thinking about setting something like this up for a while, and at the moment have a fun little niche t-shirt biz but seeing about 2k hits to something very niche and making between 60-120 bucks / month from it. Not great, but enough to cover my monthly Steam addiction.

In any case I I'm pretty good at SEO, my normal day to day biz is ranked page 1, within about 6 months from starting out with little fiddling but it's a services company and I started looking into dropshipping. The only thing I've managed to find are directories upon directories that require you to sub for months and they don't expose any info on who their wholesalers are, what types of goods they offer and more importantly if there are any APIs that I could plug into as doing the whole manual by hand thing seems very 1990's. Jokes aside, I did find two dropship APIs, one for a chinese electronics wholesaler and the other for a print shop but that's about it.

Would OP or anyone else for that matter know where to look for these APIs?

You can start with a quick Google search for manufacturers of whatever keyword you're trying to sell then add either dropship or wholesale after the search term. If they have a half decent site it will say if they have dropshipping, either because they do or they don't but are tired of getting constantly contacting about dropshipping. Some places have APIs and it will be listed as a selling point of their dropshipping service. The places that do have APIs are usually middlemen and you can get a better price point if you bypass them to just go through the manufacturer directly. Some manufacturers do offer dropshipping. Cherish them.

Edit: Forgot to add something. If you are selling something pretty generic but can't find the actual manufacturer and only middlemen, ask for pics of the items if they aren't on their site. Middlemen are generally lazy and will use the manufacturer's pics. Reverse image search them and you can usually find the manufacturer.

jabro fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Sepist posted:

So I'm trying to do some A/B testing - I have a landing page I use to bring in customers who already know what daily fantasy sports are, but what I'm realizing is it's not a good landing page for some of our adwords campaigns, which are probably being clicked on by people who have never heard of daily fantasy sports. I created this landing page in an attempt to explain daily fantasy sports and see if it draws in more conversion than our existing landing page: https://dailydraftstar.com/site/index3

So from someone who probably hasn't heard of it, do you get a general understanding of it just from that page? Is it too wordy?

You love saying "perfect team". Does your site use a salary cap like the other daily sites or can I can really draft the best players onto one team? If there is a salary cap lose the perfects and say that there is a salary cap. If there is no salary cap then make that known. That is your niche against the other sites.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

cptInsane0 posted:

I have a question. I am thinking about doing something like this. I already have web hosting, and I can set up sites super fast. In fact, right now, I am trying to grow my company, where one of my services is building web sites. I already have an LLC.

If I start doing this, do I need to start a second company, since my first one is registered as a provider of consulting services, not a reseller(other than software) of any sort?

If you will be using different names you should be good with just a DBA under your LLC. This depends on where you live and should talk to someone more knowledgeable in your state and county laws for this sort of thing.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Omits-Bagels posted:

Anyone have experience selling other people's products via Amazon? I have blog about backpacking in Europe and I monetize it through amazon commission. But what if I purchased like 50 travel backpacks and sold them via Amazon (and linked to those bags from my site). Maybe I could earn more per sale then just getting the commission alone. Then again, it would be a lot more work and I wonder how much I could actually make.

I do FBA and you can make money if you know what you're doing. You can link them from your blog, I guess, but you won't beat Amazon's traffic that is already going to them. You need to find product that has high ranking (top 5% of your main category, not sub category, is a good rule of thumb) and not many competitors. Better if Amazon isn't selling it themselves, too.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The original guy gave up and I took over. I couldn't get decent enough margin without buying at least $30,000 in inventory so I let it die. Now the market is saturated to hell.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Convexed posted:

Complete novice here, freaking out slightly.

Our website has just been redesigned and the URLs have all changes.

Through almost an accident, the term is on the first page and it's the first result after Wikipedia.

I'm slightly freaking out as it brings in a tonne of leads and Analytics shows that it's easily the hardest working of our marketing channels.

How can I try and save that?

You redesigned your website and all the links that are supposed to be pointing to stuff for people to buy are invalid now and going nowhere? Is that the case? If so, then just need to up go into the code and update the links to the correct ones.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I wouldn't suggest posting keywords. Someone basically took the previous OP's website and copied it word for word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Human Leaf Blower posted:

Has anyone come into contact with Job Killing or 7 Figure Agency? Obviously I'm steering clear of them as they are both asking for $1000's for "coaching", but their idea has merit:

Find small, local, service-based businesses that don't have a web presence and not much SEO competition, break into the market and create an optimized webpage that will generate leads for them, then sell them on your SEO services and sign up a deal with them. You only have the initial investment of building their webpage, almost no overheads apart from the hosting and adwords and steer well clear of the actual service/distribution/customers itself.

The only hard part I envisage is finding good markets to break into, with not much local competition, but also enough searches to make it worthwhile. Am I missing anything major here, and how would I go about finding good markets?

Every single business gets multiple calls for the same thing every week.

• Locked thread