Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm going to take a staycation next month and it will be a perfect time to sit down and put up a store. Last time I used that samurai tool to do keyword research, is there anything better now? What is considered a good volume result these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My cousin has a factory that manufactures a specific type of condom, but they don't do a good job marketing it. I think I've identified a keyword niche that I can win, but the overall market seems to be dominated by Trojan to the point where if I search for "condom" Google automatically includes the search term "Trojan". Is there an opportunity here? My other concerns are margin since the retail price for a box of 12 is only about USD $18.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 16, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

A couple thoughts; seems like they are better off seeking larger suppliers to sell to but can't hurt to set up a quick website and take orders if their shipping department can do it easily. It's hard to compete with such established companies like Trojan - is there a particular thing that sets your product apart? Try long tail keywords and ads focused around that aspect. Trying to outcompete Trojan's per-click price on words like 'condom' seems like a quick way to blow your budget for no gain. Personally, I'm less likely to buy a brand of condoms I haven't heard of before. I might be adventurous but not when it comes to my condom busting - so if it's a question of 'we make the same thing as Trojan but slightly cheaper' I'm not sure that would generate the online revenue you need to cover costs.

The thing that would set the product apart is that it is the world's thinnest condom as verified by Guiness. The market samurai results above were for a term specific to that niche-- I wouldn't plan on competing in paid search for broad terms like "condom". There is also a very good .com domain available for that niche search term so I think my chances of ranking #1 for that term are decent.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Sounds good to me. I'd buy some.

Just a question of how much you make per box sold and shipping + ad costs associated, then. Also the ability of the shipping department at the factory to handle orders for just a couple boxes that come in (I'm assuming right now they ship in bulk to retailers?). It's fine with small volume but after a bit it can bog shipping down if there isn't a good plan. You'll also need to pay for customer service at some point, for the inevitable angry unreasonable calls you'll get from individual customers.

You might already have all that :)

According to adwords, to compete in paid search for variants of "thin condoms" is going to be about $3.20 CPC, which I am not going to pay. What's another way I can get enough traffic to test my conversion rate before going further down this niche?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Snatch Duster posted:

However, you'll still find that search ads will probably cost around $1 - $2 per click. My suggestion is to run Google Shopping campaign which have the highest conversion rates and one of the lowest cpcs. Unlike with Amazon, Google doesn't charge a listing fee or take a percentage of the sale. So if Joe Smith in Texas clicks your ad at $0.19 and buys a pack for $18, you made a 94.7x return. The highest CPC for G Shopping I've seen were for Honda Generators, which is extremely competitive, at $0.21. The down side of G Shopping is zero ad copy and it is extremely hard to target specific search terms. But if you know your way around Merchant Center and how Google's shopping algorithm works, your products will dominate those searches.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm not very familiar with Google Shopping so I'll check it out.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

Thought about having him sell directly on Amazon with them doing your shipping?

Easier to break in and take over a niche market like that especially since you can get reviews quickly on it.

They are already selling direct on Amazon and using Amazon fulfillment. Unfortunately it looks like they are trying to do direct retail business at the same time as selling through distributors. In effect, their strategy is to compete with their distributors. I don't think this is going to work long term but they're offering to drop ship so it's very low risk for me.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I had a chat with a friend of mine that has a brick and mortar store and he said in those situations where the manufacturer completes directly in retail he just doesn't do business with them. Maybe I'll just try it out for a bit or suggest we go to an affiliate model instead.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I have another niche that might be more promising than condoms:

I suppose someone could deduce the keyword I used to generate these results but I'll rely on the goodwill of goons to not snipe my idea.

There seems to be a lot of traffic for this keyword, and the competition looks to be mostly big box stores like Home Depot, Bed Bath and Lowes. Does this look more promising? Products are selling around $80-$120 per sale which seems to be a better price point than a box of condoms.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 20, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Ok I've reposted my new potential search keyword data from Market Samurai, removing my search term. There is one direct competitor with a .com domain matching the keyword but I'm wondering if there is room for two entrants in the market given the search volume? Would anyone willing to have a chat in private?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

For what it's worth I saw your keyword and there are more than 2 competitors in that market even if they don't all have a domain name that is exactly that. Just sayin' because I know websites selling those things already although you might end up ranking better on SERPs if you are exclusively centered around that product and have the keywords in the URL.

I guess my question really is is it still worth it to enter the market even with existing competitors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm wondering if the best opportunities now are for identifying markets created by new products. Looking back I see I had advance notification of sous vide and e cigarettes before they arrived in north america and those would have been great to get in early on.

• Locked thread