Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I do the niche selling stuff selling microscopes that are around $150, which I got the idea from the first OP. I'll mention this: make sure you have the profit margin here. My product cost is $96.85 per microscope, I sell exclusively on eBay which is the only place I've had success selling (I had a very nice website created, but getting volume is difficult). That means I eat shipping @ $12 each, 10% on the eBay fees, $5 on the Paypal transaction fees, and then the time to make the eBay setup look nice, product research (weeks), a logo, hosting, etc.

Although I've made money from it, it definitely isn't much, and now competitors are kind of vulturing in to undercut. And I make something like $15-$20 a sale without considering taxes. It's kind of worth it now that all the work has been done, but the sales still only lead to around $400-$500 per year net. It's passive income at this point, but I don't think I would've bothered in the beginning.

Basically do your best to ensure all your work doesn't go to waste. We had a Facebook group before for this called Goons Stacking Paper and most everyone burned out. Don't do that.

Check out The Millionaire Fastlane book it has some great ideas along the lines of this. The title sounds cheesy but it was recommended to me, and it's a really great read. It's very BFC friendly advice, too, so it's not like "go spend all your savings on a FroYo place".

Oh and use fiverr.com as a resource especially as you're getting started. I used SA Mart for a logo, but used fiverr for a phone message recording, etc. Be careful it's easy to spend more than $5. Be patient.

e added correct costs

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Snatch Duster posted:

Those are pretty tight margins. Have you tested other CSEs like price grabber, g shopping, etc? If so was the margins too low or not enough volume?

I haven't but I'll look into that thanks.

Omits-Bagels posted:

Yikes, that is a small profit margin. I think you would be better off doing affiliate marketing. Find something on Amazon that costs around $200 and then make a website that does reviews of that product. You'll make about $12 per sale but you don't have to go through all the shipping and order taking and all that other time consuming stuff.

Hm alright I may look into this again after launching something else I've been working on for a little bit, which is a lead generation site. Kind of the similar because you don't have to make a sale necessarily, just find people who want to buy and hand them off.

As far as the review site goes though is it super niche like 1 website per product?

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 1, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
e nevermind privacy concerns for my company

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 29, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Anyone have input on lead generation / brokering? I'm about halfway finished with my entire project (the software side of it), but I'm trying to figure out the best way to distribute leads.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Snatch Duster posted:

I'm not clear on what you are asking. Are you asking on how to generate leads or how to distribute leads that you get to companies/sales teams?

I'm curious if there's any input on how to distribute leads, or perhaps if there's an industry standard. As far as lead generation I think I'll be relying mostly on SEO since it's kind of niche, and no one has done it yet.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Snatch Duster posted:

If you are dealing with sales staff you can distribute the leads by region, industry specialty, round robin, or use it as a sales incentive (the best closer gets the best leads). Most CRMs have ways to do this, espcially Sales Force. Here are a few other lead distribution software companies I've looked into in the past.

http://www.getapp.com/pipelinedeals-application
http://www.b12leads.com/
http://getcake.com/

If you are creating a company like Reply! Inc where you sell off leads you get to companies that are interested in the lead vertical, you could simply distribute them by first come first serve or whoever pays you the most.

Since your software is a niche with little competition, I highly recommend creating engaging content (white papers, buying guide, ebook, etc) and promoting it. This should quickly establish your company as an authority with Google and it will have a greater impact in the long run than creating killer meta tags.

Very cool thanks for the insight. I'm working on more of a Reply! Inc for a specific industry. I'm trying to make it 100% web based and require as little personal attention as possible.

I like your ideas of engaging content. I worked in the industry, and my family from a couple generations works/worked in the industry so I could probably provide some decent content from personal experience.

Interesting software too. Thanks again.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So for anyone who is in the process of doing this, do you have any recommendations on how to or if you even should consult a lawyer for your business? Are there lawyers that specialize in web-commerce or startups and what should you expect to pay in legal costs for starting your business?

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

In my opinion it depends. Will you be the sole importer of a product from overseas? If so I'm pretty sure you're responsible for potential dangers or hazards in the product. If you're dropshipping from a company in the states, then they would carry that liability (about 99% sure here). If you're selling something gray-area illegal (like whiskey stills for example) then it could be a wise choice to consult a lawyer.

Personally I'd get an LLC business license just to be safe, but you can do that yourself with a few hundred dollars depending on where you live. I don't really see why you'd need a lawyer otherwise, unless you plan on getting more complicated with your business license like starting an S or C corp.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Woo hoo! First payout:

I'm using affiliate advertising along with blog content (more of a hybrid guide site and blog content mix).

A whopping... $0.51. :) But I just started the site last weekend.

The conversion rate for my first conversion is deceptively low; I was clicking my own links to see if they were linking to the correct product. If I can generate some more traffic I'll see what the user:link:purchase ratio is.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

invision posted:

Don't click your own links, dummy!

Affiliate as well? It only pays if someone buys something with your cookie. I read the Amazon ToS pretty thoroughly, and I don't remember seeing that in there. I may have missed it though.

Adsense/PPC yes I realize that.

On top of that I just received this:

quote:

Hi Knyteguy,

We have paid out your $12.00 reward to PayPal account.

(If you believe this is an error, please contact support+user@referralcandy.com)

ReferralCandy Team
on behalf of Company

About... $50 in passive income this month. Not bad I guess.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Snatch Duster posted:

This might be the most hilarious development in digital marketing industry in years.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/apple-launching-search-engine-destroy-google-jason-calacanis

Apple plans on launching a search engine to rival Google. I seriously doubt that it will be a "search engine" in any sense of the term.

"Search Web" well gee I wonder if that opens up a traditional search engine.

"Everyone hates Google"

quote:

Management at Google stopped listening to, and started grinding, consumers and partners shortly after they went public. Executives at Google were always a little odd, but they didn’t used to be marauders. They were nerds who wanted to spread the wealth and build up huge partnerships.

:rolleyes: I'd guess my boss wrote this if it was about Microsoft instead of Apple.

• Locked thread