Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.
Okay, I've got a question--hope this is the right place to ask it.

I've been writing freelance web content for a while, and frequently do work for a large local SEO company. Most of what I've done for them have been blog posts and social media calendars, but they recently started bringing me on for web content.

When they assign me a post, they throw in key phrases, many of which aren't how normal people speak--for example, let's say the client is an RMT, the keyword they give me might be "Massage Therapy Toronto". In a blog post for a massage therapist, this is fine--instead of saying "massage therapist" you say "Toronto massage therapy office", and you have at least the words in there, as organically as possible.

Now, the question I have comes from the web content. This is static content, not a blog that exists primarily for organic search value. And the website for a financial services company, so there's an extra emphasis on content sounding formal and proper... and still I get keyphrases for products that are written like people type in search bars, but sound absolutely nothing like how people talk, such as "consumer proposals Texas".

This is example is a few pages deep on the website. Texas has no place anywhere on the page--visitors will know from the context of the rest of the site where they're located, and by all of a sudden saying Texas all over, it would even start to seem like a "Texas consumer proposal" is a special type of proposal, like "California rolls" are a special type of hand roll. Other search phrases I was given are questions that appear in headers, and they're asking me to include it in the opening paragraph as well.

So the question itself:

Is exact search keywords worth loving up your content? Is there any documentation arguing one way or the other? Of course I personally sway towards quality content over SEO value, and Google is notoriously guarded about their search algorithm, but there seem to be quite a few digital marketers around here who know their stuff who I'd like to hear weigh in on this.

The plan is currently just to do what the SEO rep says, and then just reverse the changes when their client comes to them with the same argument I'm making. (Which they will--I'm pretty familiar with how this client thinks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread