Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe you guys can offer some marketing advice for someone not selling a product per se.

2 months ago I built a daily fantasy sports site called Daily Draft Star: https://dailydraftstar.com - It started with an ugly beta but the traction picked up quickly because of our unique lineup concept. Right off the bat an investor contacted me, a front end developer came on board for straight sweat equity because he loves the concept so much, and we had 150 users sign on for beta to test it, everyone giving it positive feedback.

I kind of picked a horrible time to do the launch, NBA season is half over and most players are shying away until baseball season starts (Monday), but we needed to hit the ground running and we still had a laundry list of features to implement. In the first week we jumped to 350 users, and have since tapered off to just shy of 500 - with about 20 cash deposits. Our revenue is dollars at this point, but our retention is good as people come back and a few new players crop up and I have an e-mail list of our players, of which receive automated e-mails when they win, including their referral code to refer friends for 3% lifetime of their winnings, and our twitter/fb page

I have a copywriter making a press release for us right now for our MLB announcement, which includes a major change to our lineup format to increase lineup variance, finally configured deposit bonuses, and a lot of features players wanted that are creature comforts. I plan to submit the press release PRlog, and my twitter campaign is basically me tweeting a free $10 game we host each day and hope that people retweet it (Only 24 followers right now, I try to post random funny quips about DFS and it results in a follower or two).

With all that said, basically, I suck at marketing. I have so much to do as the sole owner of the company that I don't even have time to get good at it. We had a marketing agency reach out to us after stumbling upon our site but they are waiting until we have an investment before we do any deals (I am bootstrapping this company, we don't have the money to bring them on otherwise). Our road to investment is a long process, we have the investors interested in the product, but they are currently vetting the market and are building a list of followup questions after our pitch, at least 5 weeks out while the paperwork for C Corp finalizes at the minimum, and I'd like to increase our traction quicker than that. We aren't big enough or legal enough (currently operating through my LLC I had prior to this while the C Corp forms) to obtain any kind of loan to fund marketing, so I need to do all the foot work.

I have tried google adwords, it's $5 per click which is crazy expensive for me. I did FB, which actually was cheap and awesome, and reddit also has a cheap advertising platform (unfortunately a bug in my code wasn't showing me if they signed up to the site when being referred by the ads, which I've fixed), so we will hit them again once we release the MLB games tonight.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Also as a side note, if anyone has the free time and also is as excited about this DFS concept as I am, I would entertain the idea of bringing a marketing expert on board for a small equity stake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Snatch Duster posted:

I am assuming you were doing Adwords search network. Did you try their display network? Its often cheaper and helps build awareness and branding.

Since you have a copy writer, do you think he/she has the capability of producing long form pieces of content that you can use to promote your website on other sites that your target market reads regularly? If so, then get them creating this stuff and placing it. Hubspot is the leader in inbound marketing, and here is a pretty good blog about it.
http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/how-to-make-the-most-of-your-content

I sent you a pm as well.

I'll take a look at their display network in the morning, I was trying to find how to do impressions only on adwords but couldn't find it, I guess I was missing the idea of "display network" as that shows me a whole different platform.

"our" copywriter is a woman on fiverr who does a 500 word press release, nothing crazy.

Answered your PM!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
An update to an earlier post about what to do next about our marketing efforts. I spoke with the OP through a phone call the next day and he was incredibly helpful, and we ended up signing a deal with his company to handle our adwords campaigns and more marketing services in the future once our revenue ramps up! Thanks!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea. Right now I have 2 marketing companies onboard (Snatch Duster's and a company that specializes in the online gambling niche) to redo the landing pages, adwords, banners, and affiliating marketing. I'm in for about $6,500 a month right now on marketing efforts which is the cheapest I can go without bankrupting myself until we have a heavy investor or we start generating good revenue.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
So I'm trying to do some A/B testing - I have a landing page I use to bring in customers who already know what daily fantasy sports are, but what I'm realizing is it's not a good landing page for some of our adwords campaigns, which are probably being clicked on by people who have never heard of daily fantasy sports. I created this landing page in an attempt to explain daily fantasy sports and see if it draws in more conversion than our existing landing page: https://dailydraftstar.com/site/index3

So from someone who probably hasn't heard of it, do you get a general understanding of it just from that page? Is it too wordy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I was just trying to abuse positive words :) It has a salary cap, so I'll add that in

• Locked thread