Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So for anyone who is in the process of doing this, do you have any recommendations on how to or if you even should consult a lawyer for your business? Are there lawyers that specialize in web-commerce or startups and what should you expect to pay in legal costs for starting your business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have a feeling that I'm about to make this thread way more active than it has been. Another question, using the first post as a guide I've been searching for niches and good keywords. I think I've found a niche, there aren't any commercial sites for it yet, which I take as a bad sign. There don't seem to be a lot of searches for it. So while hypothetically I could rank near the top would it even be worth it for me?

Also does anyone have experience with any other tools besides Market Samurai? Seems a bit clunky, was looking at Long Tail Pro as an alternative but then some of the metrics are a bit different, not sure if thats better or worse. Market Samurai seems to have mixed reviews online. It's hard to tell with all of this SEO stuff online though. Online marketing and SEO is like the new version of the guy selling I will teach you to be a millionaire courses out of the newspaper classifieds.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So if I'm doing all of this right I think I may have found a niche that I could do well with blog posts, ebooks, etc to drum up more content to get eyeballs to the site. In fact I've started to write articles already and have 5 in the can for a potential launch. I still don't know if I'm reading Market Samurai correctly though. For my potential site I've got a monthly SEOT of 3402, 8100 searches a month, an average ad-word of $,71 and a monthly SEOV total of $2415. Is that too small of potential money to pursue?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sepist posted:

So I'm trying to do some A/B testing - I have a landing page I use to bring in customers who already know what daily fantasy sports are, but what I'm realizing is it's not a good landing page for some of our adwords campaigns, which are probably being clicked on by people who have never heard of daily fantasy sports. I created this landing page in an attempt to explain daily fantasy sports and see if it draws in more conversion than our existing landing page: https://dailydraftstar.com/site/index3

So from someone who probably hasn't heard of it, do you get a general understanding of it just from that page? Is it too wordy?

I like it. The text might be a bit small though for some. I could see some people thinking it's to wordy and not reading the whole thing and what sets your site apart from others.

So I've been researching niches. Think I may have found a potential one. Here are my Market Samurai results:

I've been writing blog posts for the site as well. My main concern is that product is one of convenience mainly. Anyone could go out and buy the items I'm selling individually. My product just combines a lot of them into a kit. The customer does get savings by being able to get a variety without the bulk. Just concerned that the convenience wont be enough to justify the price and therefore not enough profit for me to spend time on. I also thought that I could write and sell an e-book on the site as well. That may ultimately be the direction I go, an e-book and amazon affiliate links to related products. That way I could at least learn the ropes of shopify, seo, and everything else on this site so that when I do find a good niche I have a better idea of what I am doing. To that end I did go out and pay for a business license for $160, three years of hosting for $150, and a paid copy of Market Samurai for $100. So now I've got skin in the game, I'm an official LLC have a tax-ID the works. Hopefully I didn't just throw away $410...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

If it doesn't work out you've still got the ability to try other things, what with the LLC and the hosting and the SEO tools.

I wouldn't expect to hit the lottery your first time, you know?

More than anything I'm looking at this as the price of an education. I work in IT and I get a ton of questions from people about online marketing, SEO, and starting a site. This way I at least know enough to point people in the right direction or refer them to some bigger companies. I think getting an LLC and the groundwork done first will help in the long run. I'm more nervous about loving up my taxes or something with the LLC even if I don't make any income. I'm going to be talking to a friend who is a CPA later this week who can hopefully get me enough info so that I dont shoot myself in the foot at least.

From everything I've read in the old thread as it progressed and have seen elsewhere online, the secret is to work hard! There's no gimmicky seo trick you can do anymore to pump your site up long term and get it to stay ranked highly. That's why I'm focusing on quality content first. I want to try and get at least 30 articles written to launch my site with. That way I can at least have amazon links in to hopefully bring in a few pennies. Gives me an opportunity to reach out to other wholesalers and point to a quality site to try and get a good discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just wanted to give an update to my unbridled enthusiasm from earlier in the thread. I still haven't launched my site. I spent about $350 on my business license and 3 years of web hosting so I'm in the red. I have been still working on my articles and ebook however so it's not a total loss yet. Seems like the more I write the more research I do the bigger the book gets. I'm hoping to keep at it for another few months and edit it down to a nice concise gem of a book.

• Locked thread