Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Sedisp posted:

Location of the tube maybe. Second or two of extra time it takes the bottom design to hit the top might just do it.

You've picked up on the launcher position. It was actually aligned with a hit coming left and downwards with the front of the ship. If you moved it away from danger I wouldn't be surprised if that's as important as the direction the missile shoots out at. I'd also move the frontmost crew compartment back because a frontal hit with a missile could also destroy that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I just don't get it sometimes. No matter how I turn the tube, it looks like the missles are coming out the back of the ship and then turning towards the enemy.

For instance, why is this happening:

With this:

And if the tubes are pointed in the wrong direction... I've tried the opposite direction, does the same thing.

This design now beats the default pretty handily, but still, the missles fire out backwards.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Garfu posted:

I just don't get it sometimes. No matter how I turn the tube, it looks like the missles are coming out the back of the ship and then turning towards the enemy.

For instance, why is this happening:

With this:

And if the tubes are pointed in the wrong direction... I've tried the opposite direction, does the same thing.

This design now beats the default pretty handily, but still, the missles fire out backwards.

What if you move the missile launcher to the first gap in the front? Or the second?

Also just a small nitpick that is probably just preference, but for support missile boats I like to have only a single launcher for the single big punch since they are primarily for taking down flagships. (I set them as artillery).

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 2, 2016

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

What if you move the missile launcher to the first gap in the front? Or the second?

Same thing

edit: helps a little bit. But why having them on those little winglet things, with nothing in front obstructing them, make them arc out backward.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have a suspicion that with missiles, the game simply draws a line between the center of the ship and the turret, and launches them on that vector, there's no actual turret arc for missiles.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Garfu posted:

Same thing

edit: helps a little bit. But why having them on those little winglet things, with nothing in front obstructing them, make them arc out backward.

What I'm thinking is that based on the position on the model, that is where it actually generates the missiles from.

OwlFancier posted:

I have a suspicion that with missiles, the game simply draws a line between the center of the ship and the turret, and launches them on that vector, there's no actual turret arc for missiles.

Yea.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah, I moved them around all over and finally found some spots where it fires with only a slight arc outwards. I've spent 4 hours in the ship designer and haven't even really played the game yet so I think I'm done with this design for now... Heh.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Garfu posted:

Yeah, I moved them around all over and finally found some spots where it fires with only a slight arc outwards. I've spent 4 hours in the ship designer and haven't even really played the game yet so I think I'm done with this design for now... Heh.

Well show off the final design, or upload it to the community page. I'm always interested in more efficient support ships.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Well show off the final design, or upload it to the community page. I'm always interested in more efficient support ships.

Sure:

That ends up winning a 100v100 with about 85 remaining against the default missile boat at size 10.

For some reason the little wings with no obstruction shoot out backwards, yet this design with the missile right up against some armor and other missile hexes shoots mostly straight.

Cost over the default missile boat is like 10% more $/labor so that's pretty good.

Also I figure the lower speed isn't that big of deal since the missiles range will make up for it but I don't really know about that yet.

This beam design completely obliterates the default, 90 remaining in a 100v100:

Could probably add more armor to it

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 2, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Wait are you not matching the sizes?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Wait are you not matching the sizes?

Sizes match

This is what I have so far:

Top set, is default carrier vs one I created. 1v1 the right one obviously wins. 1v1 with 10 of each of the same support ships, right wins handily.

Middle set is the default missile boat, right ships win with 85 remaining.

Bottom set is the default beam ship, right ship wins with 90 remaining.

I just uses a test dummy carrier like in that guys video to test the support ships.

Haven't even really gotten to the game yet but the ship designer is pretty fun in itself lol.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 2, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Flagships slow down to keep pace with their support ships, so speed is definitely a consideration. Though less so if you make heavy use of ftl for strategic movement.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah I evened everything out around at around 3.4 so that should work.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Remember, when your command ships get in the 5 and 6k sizes, big supports really help kick serious rear end.

Of course I like have 2k 10sized fighter swarming my ships.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I try to follow a rough proportion of Flagship Size compared to support options, that I'm sure changes non-linearly as you increase in size.

Basically my "shield" ships are about 1/10th the size of the flag ship. These are the ones that have the high damage close range weapons on them. Their purpose is to target all the "gnats" and other enemy support ships that get close to the flag ship. About 1/8th of my support fleet in "size" are these guys.

The next size are the beam ships. They are about 1/2 the size of the shield supports. They are set to cannon, and are equipped with lasers. I assume the cannon behavior has them engage with the other fleet, and flag ships. 1/4th or so of the support fleet are these.

After that the Missile boats. Again they are about 1/2 the size of the beam ships. These are the primary dps of the fleet. They are set to Artillery and make up around 1/3 to 1/2 of the fleet.

Finally my raiders. These are the "gnats" they are the smallest ships about 1/100th the size of the flag ship, equipped with burst weapons and supply stores. They are set to "Brawler" and they swarm around in the system which is pretty cool looking. Run into a Homeworld system and they will get 12x stacks of blockade on those planets in no time flat.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I feel like I'm leaving a lot of money per budget cycle on the table. Is that bad? Once I get a couple level 3 planets up it always seems like I have a huge budget and I don't know what to spend it on. I just started playing so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Bremen posted:

You just export a planet's resource to the beacon.

q_k posted:

If you hover over the different projects you can see they require ore, defense support, tech support, or power support. Those are generated by a resource which produces that pressure type except for ore. You transfer it over to the gate by either dragging and dropping it from the planet producing it, or click on the planet, and right click on the gate and it should give you the option to export to the gate.
Found it because of these posts, thanks! Click planet -> right-click bacon.

What about fleet management? Is there a way to see all your fleets on one screen like there is with planets?

Also, being able to remove/collapse all of the inputs and outputs of planets on the planet tab would be very nice. So would being able to scroll left and right on that tab, as would being able to set up a default/global setting for planets and ships to autobuy support.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
If you cool and good goons put up your ship designs on the community thing I'd be thankful. Ship design is where my brain turns to sludge, peering over other designs in the simulator might help me actually crack this one.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I just uploaded this one:

The only exotic part of it is the destroyer hull and the super computer. Muon Cannons are what really make it shine though. 4 Laser turrets and 2 torpedo's allow it to cut through fleets and after a few promotions it's able to take on remnant fleets that are much larger. A bit low on supplies, but I usually redesign my ships once I get the Quantum Compressor. Lots of redundant systems and a shielded hyper/jump drive allow you to escape reliably if you get in too deep.

A tough ship and pretty efficient imo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Garfu posted:

I feel like I'm leaving a lot of money per budget cycle on the table. Is that bad? Once I get a couple level 3 planets up it always seems like I have a huge budget and I don't know what to spend it on. I just started playing so I'm probably doing something wrong.

The only things you can spend money on are colonization (because that eats pop for a while and costs you income) imperial buildings (which are useful but generally inefficient compared to finding more resources) and ships. Oh and maybe some unlocks in diplomacy research and affinities, but generally you're spending money to colonise or build stuff.

If you don't need to build stuff or colonise, you can't do much other than let your money tick over and make sure it's being spent on a useful welfare option. If you're doing it a lot, consider taking the affinity that doubles welfare expenditure effectiveness.

The game is kind of weird in that it's actually designed to not allow you to stockpile resources, you are building productive capacity, not a giant dragon hoard of money that you can turn into armies at will. When you are on a war footing you're expected to churn out ships and use them steadily, when you're not on a war footing you're building your economy and inefficiently pumping money into research, diplomacy, or energy. If you want a big army you're going to have to build it up over time, you can't build it all at once with a stockpile.

The game plays out a bit like WW2 sometimes. Having a big standing army is great, it lets you make lots of initial gains with blitzkrieg style warfare, but eventually, economic capacity will trump it, because if your enemy is like the USA and can churn out ten ships to every one of your overengineered bulkhead filled, high initial cost monsters, they'll still win.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 3, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
That said perusing the community tab, someone made a "two-sided destroyer" and it is extremely effective because it has the engines in the front, weapons in the back, in addition to nothing in the middle of the ship. This confuses the AI targeting meaning that it's very difficult to actually damage. It beat's my destroyer design as well as a carrier with a full fleet. AI exploits aside, I like it.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Last stupid question, what's the unit scale on the galaxy map? Are the thick lines 1000 units? I want to see the range of my defense station but I can't really tell.

Nevermind figured it out, it's 500u per thick grid line, or 50u per grid square.

VVV mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Garfu fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 3, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you hold alt it displays weapon range and arcs.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

I too, like Mistborn. :allears:

Also I adore the vassal option. Holy poo poo this is so nice. I ended up the senate ruler before I got my teeth kicked in by the Hoonan's and now im just scheming politically to leverage more and more power to my master.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Dang this game gets hard. Playing against 3 normal AI and I guess mid-game you can't just up the size on your stuff anymore. I had a 4k Carrier with 250 size support ships and i got poo poo on by a 2k and 1-512 size support ship fleet. I guess my Carrier doesn't scale well.

Also what speeds up getting support ships? I had like 250 labor on my main planet and on 2x it was still so slow to fill up my support. Should I be filling fleets on other planets and not focus labor on one but many?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Fire Storm posted:

Found it because of these posts, thanks! Click planet -> right-click bacon.

What about fleet management? Is there a way to see all your fleets on one screen like there is with planets?

Also, being able to remove/collapse all of the inputs and outputs of planets on the planet tab would be very nice. So would being able to scroll left and right on that tab, as would being able to set up a default/global setting for planets and ships to autobuy support.

On the right side of the galaxy screen is a list of stuff (by default, it's things like planets with exportable resources). If you look under it, there's a button that lets you customize what shows up there; there's options for things like military flagships, civilian flagships, or Planets/Orbitals with labor, which are all godsends for minimizing micromanagement.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Garfu posted:

Dang this game gets hard. Playing against 3 normal AI and I guess mid-game you can't just up the size on your stuff anymore. I had a 4k Carrier with 250 size support ships and i got poo poo on by a 2k and 1-512 size support ship fleet. I guess my Carrier doesn't scale well.

Also what speeds up getting support ships? I had like 250 labor on my main planet and on 2x it was still so slow to fill up my support. Should I be filling fleets on other planets and not focus labor on one but many?

I don't know this for sure, but I think you're limited to one per second. I had a similar planet with stupidly high labour output and seemed to be producing cheap size 1 supports at about that rate. I think there's just a cap on how many ships can be produced in a given timeframe. If you're having trouble winning fights, use more missiles, along with maybe a torpedo on a flagship.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Speaking of Supports, please either make the global reserve bigger or give us the option of putting it on auto-cast (on planets and/or systems). It fills up incredibly quickly and it's wasted if you don't constantly empty it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Garfu posted:

Space Elevator and Iron both speed up support build speed. I might change the space elevator modifier and see if I can improve it, because yea it's pretty much impossible to field a large number of support ships no matter how much labor you have.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What's ore good for besides a few techs? Mining asteroids is cumbersome micro and i'm bad at ship design :(

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

What's ore good for besides a few techs? Mining asteroids is cumbersome micro and i'm bad at ship design :(

Ring worlds and other large orbitals. Heralds need it to upgrade and build some of their things. I find the easiest way to do it is just have a tractor ship haul ore asteroids to where your drop off point is and have a few miners at that point. You can check in on the tractor beam ship every few minutes.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
So I used to do okay at this game against Easy AI (ok I'm poo poo at the game) but ever since Heralds came out, their new and improved AI has been utterly destroying me mostly on the back of them having decent ships and keeping them grouped up. Whenever people post on here about getting 2.5k scale ships and supports that are size 250 I'm just thinking wtf because I never even get close to that level of economy. I've never gotten up to Ringworlds or anything and the maps I'm playing on simply don't seem to have enough planets to support that amount of warfare. Is everyone playing on giant, multi-galactic maps or something?

What's the general flow of gameplay that people are using? At the moment, I'm trying to scout the galaxy early on, pick a decent scaling modifier planet or a level 3 resource that looks good, grab that and then backfill all of the lower level planets needed to level that up. Once that's done, find another high level planet to do the same on. I have real trouble getting lots of Labour in my empires, and I don't think my ship designs are good enough to make up for the lack of numbers.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm in the same boat where mostly I have no idea what I'm doing. What I've been focusing on trying to learn is managing pressure and building the upgraded cities to increase the cap. Mostly though I'm terribly short on everything but especially energy which makes using artifacts properly tough.

An early game outline on what to focus on would be great.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This helped me a bunch.

Conot posted:

First of all, remember that you can right click a planet without any planet selected -> select colonize this, and the game will automatically pick planets to send people from without dipping below 1 bill.

Population on PLANETS defines quite a lot of income and colonizers eat up a lot of upkeep.

Your first aim should be to colonize the 3 planets in your home system, as well as one food system elsewhere. Level up your homeplanet to Level 2, let it recuperate some population, as well as letting the Level 1 thats feeding your Level 2 get up to full population. Spend the time either manually exploring, or sending your fleet to where your scouts have scouted, picking up anomalies/fighting Remnants. Once your planets are back up to full pop, you'll have a healthy budget and some pressure being used. You should now aim to pick up the tier 1 and tier 2 needed for level 3 on your homeworld. Your order for colonizing should always be:

Food/Water for Tier 1 -> Tier 1 -> Food/Water for Tier 2 -> Tier 2 -> Food for Homeworld

We leave food for the homeworld till last because it does nothing valuable until the planet has the tiered resources it needs. Similarly, we make sure we have food/water for our tiered resource planets first because the tiered planet is worthless without them.

At this point you should have enough planets that your colonizers are leaving from multiple sources and no planet is getting sapped all the way down to 1 pop. Remember to avoid level 0 resources (Iron, Coal, Pekelm) at the start because, while they provide pressure, they're also a drain on the treasury. Remember to build Metropolises/Megacities if your homeworld/other planets end up over pressure. Your pressure buildings won't dissapear if you go over pressure, but it will stop new pressure buildings being built, which is a big deal. Remember that pressure capacity is also a function of population level.

Thats just some general tips. I can go into more specifics if you come across some specific issues.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Can that go in the OP?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

This ship has been owning everything:

My eye has opened to non-carrier ships. I thought carriers with lot of support ships were the way to go. But I put out 5 of these guys against 2k+ sized carrier fleets and they rip through everything with barely any damage taken.

I pretty much just rush all of the stuff needed to make them at the start of every game at this point.

edit: search "battlecruiser" and "battlecarrier", this guy makes nice ships.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 4, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I've been having fun with the invasion map type just solo play. It's a fun way to experiment with the big toys that don't come up much in normal games.

I gave hard mode a good run, but in the end my huge fleets of missile bases and muon cannon supports couldn't hold the line. The last wave was a size 50,000 ship with 4k supports, totaling over 300 million strength :x

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Best thing I've ever done in a 4x and one of the coolest things I've done in a video game in general:

Annex Planet vote on hydrocarbons planet deep in enemy territory
Spend all of my influence
Build outposts all the way to planet across the galaxy
Win vote
Build fling beacon
Within seconds fling planet across galaxy to safety

That was amazing. I just literally stole an entire planet from my enemy and not it resides safely near my homeworld.

This game is so good.

I don't think I can play another game without fling beacons.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 5, 2016

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Garfu posted:

Best thing I've ever done in a 4x and one of the coolest things I've done in a video game in general:

Annex Planet vote on hydrocarbons planet deep in enemy territory
Spend all of my influence
Build outposts all the way to planet across the galaxy
Win vote
Build fling beacon
Within seconds fling planet across galaxy to safety

That was amazing. I just literally stole an entire planet from my enemy and not it resides safely near my homeworld.

This game is so good.

I don't think I can play another game without fling beacons.

I always remember my first time seeing a checkbox to allow my lasers to damage, and given enough time/damage, blow up stars. "Here go design this awesome ship and would you like it able to blow up entire planets? Just check this box."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I've now flung every tier 3 resource in the entire galaxy back to my territory.

And wait wtf there's a checkbox to allow planet damage? I've just been using Graviton beams

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 5, 2016

• Locked thread