Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thompsons posted:

Thanks for the info, I figured there had to be more ore-making stuff ingame and I just wasn't looking hard enough.

Though on the topic of ore and ship elements and things, what exactly is everyone's thoughts on armor? I get the basic ideas of it (damage resistance reduces damage up to like 80%, damage threshold reduces incoming damage to whatever the DT number is), but there're a lot of armor types, all of them doing different things. Like I know reactive armor is good for smaller ships since smaller plates have a lower DT score, but what about armor placement on other things? Should I layer different kinds of armor, and if so in what order? Are neutronium plates only really good for stations? What's the big benefit of liquid armor?

I generally use plate as the basic armor, and cover it in a layer of the blue stuff, for flagships at least, assuming you build big the blue armor will shrug off most of the smaller hits without taking much damage at all, while the plate is good against everything, basically, but will slowly wear down and is a bit heavy. I tend to put the blue on the outside because I figure most of what is shooting at it will be smaller than the flagship, so it's going to take lots of little hits, while the plate helps reinforce against penetrating shots from other flagships, and also works as backup if the blue gets worn down.

Reactive I don't actually use but that's mainly because I don't build small ships, if you're designing tiny ships to fight bigger ships, then reactive will make them survive a flat number of hits regardless of how powerful they are, so it's good for punching above your weight, but far less effective against anything else.

Blue armor is also light which makes it a viable choice for lightly armored ships. Neutronium is quite resource intensive but it's much tougher, and I would say it's good for things like weapon hardpoints, where you probably won't want to use many layers of armor, but rather a single layer on the outside with nanomesh underneath to make the actualy weapon itself tougher, because if the weapon core gets taken out, the weapon goes offline, so a single neturonium layer gives you a lot of protection there while still allowing you the space to nanomesh up the weapon turret.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Man y'all beat me to it, I put together a picture showing the same idea:

Special weapons excepted, anything that's going to hit the lower antimatter core is going to come on one of those 6 lines. Focus your armor on the hexes in a line with important system cores.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

I haven't built one yet, but I'm intrigued about them. It looks like if you can get one built, and import a research, energy, influence and luxury resource to it, it should be monster. But I don't know how it compares to a normal empire with 2-3 level 5 planets.

It probably won't output as much as a few level 5 planets but if you make it level 5 then it will output vastly more than any other level 5 world will, essentially it gets bonuses as you level it up, especially to population, and it's also worth noting that unless it's changed, they have an absolutely enormous planetary surface. So you can use all the extra population (and subsequently money) to build a crapton of imperial buildings on it. God help you if you pull the Art zeitgeist because you could probably put a hundred museums on a ringworld easy for 100 influence stake with no upkeep.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Build a tractor and just haul the ore asteroids right next to the planet the ore is for! You can also use it to steal from the AI, you an grab artifacts from their territory or even abduct their mined resouce asteroids. Tractors are awesome and you don't need your miners to move very far if you use them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is probably one of the more useful designs I find, early on. It costs quite a lot to make but it has very low upkeep and can be built with starter tech. It's basically a big chunk of armor designed to not-die for as long as possible while also whittling down fleets. I tend to plop these on valuable planets as a "get the gently caress out" deterrant against raiding fleets. They combine well with planetary defences because they are hard to knock out, and as long as they're in orbit the planet will shoot as well. You can upgrade it with targetting systems if you want a longer range later on.

And that's how I would design a battleship, works fairly well though like most of my designs it's more geared towards survivability than actually killing things. It can avoid dying quite well and with some more tech like shield mods I think it would work quite well.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Vodos posted:

Build a tractor and just haul the ore asteroids right next to the planet the ore is for! You can also use it to steal from the AI, you an grab artifacts from their territory or even abduct their mined resouce asteroids. Tractors are awesome and you don't need your miners to move very far if you use them.

Yeah this - if your ore-asteroid is in an orbit around your planet it doesn't matter how bad the engines on your mining ships is. And if it's not in orbit around your planet - why isn't it? You start with tractors buddy.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I got a possibly spoiler-y question regarding a hidden tech:

I unlocked the Artificial Moons tech, which require I build 5 ring habitats. Uh, what? What are ring habitats? Something new that Ancients don't have?

Also, do they do anything special or are they just buildable moons? Because if so, not too helpful to me this playthrough.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
A lot of mechanics aren't really applicable to the Ancients. Ring Habitats are 100% useless for them because they don't have population. I could see artificial moons being useful but you won't be able to unlock them with the ancients.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
According to the score tracks I'm doing things wrong in the early game, and probably has to be with how pissed off I am when the AI grabs a planet where I already have colonizers inbound.

Are you supposed to keep some people around your homeworld instead of colonizing everywhere on the first 4-5 budget circles? I'm not in debt, but it seems I have no influence, pressure capacity or basically anything cool.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

According to the score tracks I'm doing things wrong in the early game, and probably has to be with how pissed off I am when the AI grabs a planet where I already have colonizers inbound.

Are you supposed to keep some people around your homeworld instead of colonizing everywhere on the first 4-5 budget circles? I'm not in debt, but it seems I have no influence, pressure capacity or basically anything cool.

First of all, remember that you can right click a planet without any planet selected -> select colonize this, and the game will automatically pick planets to send people from without dipping below 1 bill.

Population on PLANETS defines quite a lot of income and colonizers eat up a lot of upkeep.

Your first aim should be to colonize the 3 planets in your home system, as well as one food system elsewhere. Level up your homeplanet to Level 2, let it recuperate some population, as well as letting the Level 1 thats feeding your Level 2 get up to full population. Spend the time either manually exploring, or sending your fleet to where your scouts have scouted, picking up anomalies/fighting Remnants. Once your planets are back up to full pop, you'll have a healthy budget and some pressure being used. You should now aim to pick up the tier 1 and tier 2 needed for level 3 on your homeworld. Your order for colonizing should always be:

Food/Water for Tier 1 -> Tier 1 -> Food/Water for Tier 2 -> Tier 2 -> Food for Homeworld

We leave food for the homeworld till last because it does nothing valuable until the planet has the tiered resources it needs. Similarly, we make sure we have food/water for our tiered resource planets first because the tiered planet is worthless without them.

At this point you should have enough planets that your colonizers are leaving from multiple sources and no planet is getting sapped all the way down to 1 pop. Remember to avoid level 0 resources (Iron, Coal, Pekelm) at the start because, while they provide pressure, they're also a drain on the treasury. Remember to build Metropolises/Megacities if your homeworld/other planets end up over pressure. Your pressure buildings won't dissapear if you go over pressure, but it will stop new pressure buildings being built, which is a big deal. Remember that pressure capacity is also a function of population level.

Thats just some general tips. I can go into more specifics if you come across some specific issues.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 27, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, it seems I was just going too fast.

Conot posted:

Your pressure buildings won't dissapear if you go over pressure, but it will stop new pressure buildings being built, which is a big deal.

Wait, so if a planet jumps from, say, 2/4 to 6/4, it'll be stuck with 2 buildings until it gets more pressure capacity? That's painful.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks, it seems I was just going too fast.

Wait, so if a planet jumps from, say, 2/4 to 6/4, it'll be stuck with 2 buildings until it gets more pressure capacity? That's painful.

My particular example was in relation to 4/4 suddenly shifting to 4/2, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure of your scenario...

My gut says it'll expand until its using up 4 of the 6 pressure available, but I'd need to actually test it... will do so once I get home!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Man I wish funds werent so tight right now. The expansion is sitting on my wishlist just waiting... staring at me. All the improvements sound like so much fun.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I did a quick 1 hour game during lunch break and I'm keeping up with the 7 Easy AIs in score, have 4 level homeworld and a healthy 1,5M budget, so I'm going to assume that I can graduate to another one of the 4X's: eXterminate :getin:

I'm rated "weak" in military. Is making all my ships 30% bigger and retrofitting them (can I retrofit something to make it bigger?) , while building a couple extra destroyers good enough? In fact, what does ship size actually do?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I did a quick 1 hour game during lunch break and I'm keeping up with the 7 Easy AIs in score, have 4 level homeworld and a healthy 1,5M budget, so I'm going to assume that I can graduate to another one of the 4X's: eXterminate :getin:

I'm rated "weak" in military. Is making all my ships 30% bigger and retrofitting them (can I retrofit something to make it bigger?) , while building a couple extra destroyers good enough? In fact, what does ship size actually do?

Increases damage, supply, and health. Mostly.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Ship size does act as a multiplier to a certain extent. Just bear in mind that you don't want to just upgrade the flagship, you want to upgrade/make new supports too, since torpedos become more dangerous to supports as flagships get bigger.

And yes, you can retrofit something to a larger size, so long as it bears the same name as the original.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I feel like the expansion rounds out the game in a major way. Totally worth it.

Ok, so I got another possible bug. I think it'll be apparent from screenshots, but if you guys would like a savegame I'll get one uploaded somewhere.

Ignore the power error, I designed these ships before getting the graviton engine enhancing tech, they are indeed the same design:

So, I have liquid armor next to nanomeshes, with the idea that the mesh bonus is particularly synergistic with them (and on ablative armor, nanomesh kicks rear end with that.) But, even though these ships are freshly built and have never been in combat, liquid armor hexes next to nanomeshes are "damaged" - sometimes getting below 100 hp. It's like the liquid armor HP is 'flowing' towards the meshes which are acting like sinks. What you can't tell from the pic is that they're fluctuating around, and it seems like they're not ever healing - I have several ships which have been built for a few budget cycles with no improvements, and support stations won't shoot the healing beam at them when they're next to them.

GGLucas
Feb 12, 2014

It's not a shill account if I paid 40gp for it, right?

metasynthetic posted:

liquid armor hexes next to nanomeshes are "damaged" - sometimes getting below 100 hp. It's like the liquid armor HP is 'flowing' towards the meshes which are acting like sinks

Thanks for the report. There was indeed a problem with liquid armor when its different hexes had different maximum hp values. A fix for that issue will be in the next update.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Awesome, thanks for being so on top of things!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Does the AI realize when you commit grand theft asteroid and tractor some of their asteroids out of their regions and into yours (hey I needed that explosives mining base more than they did ok)? It seems like it does but the declaration of war I just got could be a coincidence.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How do you steal astroids that have been claimed by the AI? I don't mean with a tractor tug, I mean you come across a system, and the AI has some astroids being mined, so they are the AI's color. How do I make them mine?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Cap the planet that installed the mining base on them or remove the asteroids from their trade border by disconnecting that system from their trade region through capturing other planets/systems.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of any good LPs for this game?

I can get a handle on making planets kind of productive, but everything after that is more or less a mystery to me and there's so much going on at once that it's hard to know how to balance my time, although I basically understand that like all RTS games, keeping your budget as close to 0 as possible is probably the way forward.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

metasynthetic posted:

Man y'all beat me to it, I put together a picture showing the same idea:

Special weapons excepted, anything that's going to hit the lower antimatter core is going to come on one of those 6 lines. Focus your armor on the hexes in a line with important system cores.

IIRC, I asked GGLucas on #starruler and he said that damage doesn't travel following exactly the path of subsequent side-by-side hexes (which is an explanation I saw on a youtube video) - rather, ships are treated like rough spheres, a vector is then drawn based on the path unimpeded fire that hits it would follow, and that vector is superimposed on the ship's diagram to determine what hexes will take the damage.

Should should still armor up or otherwise nestle critical components deep in your design for protection, but long lines of armor branching out aren't the end-all of protecting a specific component.

jBrereton posted:

Anyone know of any good LPs for this game?

I can get a handle on making planets kind of productive, but everything after that is more or less a mystery to me and there's so much going on at once that it's hard to know how to balance my time, although I basically understand that like all RTS games, keeping your budget as close to 0 as possible is probably the way forward.

Not the best, and a few things are outdated, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAHLhLqHzxI gives a breakdown of various parts of the game.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 28, 2016

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I'm having a problem where tooltips for subsystems while designing ships will show up in very inconvenient places and nothing I seem to do gets them to move around. An example I'm experiencing right now:

This is the ship I just started designing. I want to place more hexes for the muon cannon around the middle, and then move the turret towards the middle, but every time I mouse over any part of the weapon's subsystem...

This happens. While it's still technically possible to add and remove hexes under the tooltip like this, it's very frustrating to do. If I remove the weapon entirely and try to place it somewhere on the right side...

Now the tooltip shows up under all the subsystem options on the left side, making it unreadable.

It isn't just this blueprint or only in design sandbox that I've been having this problem. It does look like it only happens with weapons, though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Conspiratiorist posted:

IIRC, I asked GGLucas on #starruler and he said that damage doesn't travel following exactly the path of subsequent side-by-side hexes (which is an explanation I saw on a youtube video) - rather, ships are treated like rough spheres, a vector is then drawn based on the path unimpeded fire that hits it would follow, and that vector is superimposed on the ship's diagram to determine what hexes will take the damage.

Should should still armor up or otherwise nestle critical components deep in your design for protection, but long lines of armor branching out aren't the end-all of protecting a specific component.

Oh for sure. In fact if you pay attention you'll see that after a few hexes in a row get damaged you'll get a "hook." This means that if you have an anti-matter reactor 6 pieces of armor 5 squares away aren't sufficient, but they act a good guideline for where you should place bulkheads etc.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Conot posted:

Food/Water for Tier 1 -> Tier 1 -> Food/Water for Tier 2 -> Tier 2 -> Food for Homeworld

Disagree. Prefer colonizing/leveling the higher tier planets first so they don't have to play population growth catch-up.
You want the Tier 2 planet at level 1 first (1 food and 1 water exported to the tier 2) so that the tier 2 will grow to 3 population.
If you do the Tier 2 second in order, as you've indicated, then the tier 2 will have to grow from 1 population to 6 instead of from 3 population to 6.
Leveling higher tier planets first recovers the budget quicker, but you lose out on resource pressure. I usually prefer the budget recovery.

Alternately, it's convenient to just 'Auto-import' everything from the right-click menu on any given planet. Then you just have to colonize planets whatever resources are missing as reported in a popup along the right side the screen.
Heck, you can even 'Colonize and Auto-import' from the right-click menu on an un-colonized planet.
When you get past the begin-game and want to colonize entire systems you don't even have to change your habits, just, instead of right-clicking on individual planets to 'colonize and auto-import', you right-click on a star to do the whole system.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012
Can someone fix the link on the wiki/in-game help for what resources do what?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Won my first "real" game against 7 easy AIs! Or at least I'm basically unstoppable when I put a proposal out, Space President and the biggest fish in the pond by a large margin, so it's probably just a matter of keeping on annexing systems. Now to get my rear end kicked by harder AI. Some questions, though:

- Do the AIs ever declare war on Easy? The only aggression I've seen is from some Annex cards, and every relation towards me has been "Peaceful" up to the moment I declared war.
- Can I get more information about their military, number of planets and influence that the rating that appears in the Diplomacy screen? If 2 races are rated "Strong" in military, can I see which of us is actually stronger? Also, rating only your stockpile of influence points seems a bit simplistic, given that you have to buy cards.
- Regarding the military rating, does it count ships or does it also add things like Beacons and Orbital Replicators and whatever?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Won my first "real" game against 7 easy AIs! Or at least I'm basically unstoppable when I put a proposal out, Space President and the biggest fish in the pond by a large margin, so it's probably just a matter of keeping on annexing systems. Now to get my rear end kicked by harder AI. Some questions, though:

- Do the AIs ever declare war on Easy? The only aggression I've seen is from some Annex cards, and every relation towards me has been "Peaceful" up to the moment I declared war.
- Can I get more information about their military, number of planets and influence that the rating that appears in the Diplomacy screen? If 2 races are rated "Strong" in military, can I see which of us is actually stronger? Also, rating only your stockpile of influence points seems a bit simplistic, given that you have to buy cards.
- Regarding the military rating, does it count ships or does it also add things like Beacons and Orbital Replicators and whatever?

Can't answer most of these, but:

quote:

I believe it simply sums up all military strength in your empire, so military fleets, support ships on standby near a planet, defense stations, etc. I don't know if it makes note of things like planet-bound defenses (Railgun, Missile Defense)

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
The v2 patch just appeared on GOG.com so I hope the DLC won't be far behind now.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The game is a little obnoxious about being alt-tabbed out of on Windows 10, had a couple of un-Ctrl-Alt-Deleteable black screens because of it today, you guys got a fix in mind for that?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

jBrereton posted:

The game is a little obnoxious about being alt-tabbed out of on Windows 10, had a couple of un-Ctrl-Alt-Deleteable black screens because of it today, you guys got a fix in mind for that?

Yep, had the same thing happen. Had to reboot my computer to get it back. Windows 10 as well.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So glad I didn't upgrade.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
That's really weird. I've been on 10 for about a year now and haven't had any said crashes and I am very often alt-tab'd when I'm playing.

Is there something that either of your systems (Lorini and jBrereton) have in common other than Windows 10?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

That's really weird. I've been on 10 for about a year now and haven't had any said crashes and I am very often alt-tab'd when I'm playing.

Is there something that either of your systems (Lorini and jBrereton) have in common other than Windows 10?

Odd question....is there another way you can phrase that?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Sure. What do your two computers have in common with each other that mine lacks?

We're all running Windows 10, we're all playing the game while alt-tab'd out. I'm not, however, experiencing any black-screen crashes.
So why is my rig not crashing while yours are? My first suspicion would be to your hardware and drivers. Do both of you have graphics cards in your computers? If so, what model?
What versions are your drivers at? Do either of you have something that could be interfering with the game like an Anti-virus?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

Sure. What do your two computers have in common with each other that mine lacks?

We're all running Windows 10, we're all playing the game while alt-tab'd out. I'm not, however, experiencing any black-screen crashes.
So why is my rig not crashing while yours are? My first suspicion would be to your hardware and drivers. Do both of you have graphics cards in your computers? If so, what model?
What versions are your drivers at? Do either of you have something that could be interfering with the game like an Anti-virus?

Thanks, that I can answer :).

I have an Nvidia 970 with up to date drivers. I use Nod32 Anti-virus 8.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there an event log that records the stuff that pops up in the bottom right? A couple of times, I've accidentally cleared things, or just needed to pick and choose because I'm on a laptop resolution and can't fit it on there. I don't like missing these things, but I can't find them shown anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
I'm afraid only propositions are recorded into an event log. You can find a history of them in the Diplomacy tab by clicking the "View History" button under Active Propositions.

• Locked thread