Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
After watching a friend stream some SR2, I've been convinced to buy it after being less than satisfied with the first one. Finally, no more allegedly-newtonian motion that sent your fleets swinging through entire other star systems while doing their decel/acceleration attack runs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Bremen posted:

I'm kind of torn whether or not to say anything here.

You've already opened your mouth, why don't you let me know how wrong I am? :colbert:

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

The ships fly great as long as you don't try to set a new course before they finished the old one, then you can get those long sweeping motions from the first game with lots of overshooting.

Huh. I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Trip report, SR2 is pretty good.

I think I like Fling Beacons as the best FTL method. No faffing about with sticking a Hyperdrive in your designs and wasting space.

When I introduce larger classes of Support Ship, even if I don't Obsolete the old Gunships/whatever, my planets stop making the smaller classes of ship for my support fleets using Defense. I don't want them to stop doing that, I do want lots of small, spammy ships too! :(

What do you guys like putting on your really big flagships, specifically in that painful lull before you get the Titan Hull (and Antimatter Generator!) research done, but when the AI insists on flying around bigger and bigger flagships despite now uneconomic they are?

Right now I'm leaning towards a big missile launcher to blap the other flagship with hits worth thousands of points, but the Reactive Armor and stuff that some ships use makes me think a more balanced approach is necessary...

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Fling Beacons are legit.

I just can't stand the 200k upkeep they impose on your empire, it really cuts down on the number of Beacons you can build.

Every FTL option is legit, even choosing no FTL at all. You can afford most of those cool nation customization options if you ditch FTL. Then you need to design your ships with lots of engines to keep up at strategic speed, and to have extreme tactical maneuverability also.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Clubbed the AI over the head again this weekend in a 5-player 100-planet game in a spiral galaxy.

I looked at the upkeep cost on the default Scout and decided I could do more for that price on a size 16 hull. Instead of scouts, I have murderous RAID FRIGATES, which nibble apart all the AI's convoys. I could trim the armor off so they go faster, but I was just using my Fling Beacon to throw them into position, and forgetting about them.

It's very silly when you pick up Artifact technologies like Neutronium Armor and Antimatter reactors early, and you haven't even researched Shield Generators. :)

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Poor Oko. I look forward to seeing the rest of the game lore!

How do you get the AI to use better ships? Victory over the Random Ship Designer's usually-useless Flagships isn't as satisfying as I hoped, even now that I'm playing on the non-cheating, human-hating difficulty level.

The AI does come up with a few good ones on accident, like the ones with giant missile launchers that do a good job of targeting my Flagship and punching holes in it. But then their next ship is a piece of garbage with all its internal space taken up by Superstructure... And the dumb bastards don't even have any Support Ships to go with it.

So far I have found the Feyh to be the most dangerous computer-controlled race, since they seem to expand normally like the Terrakin, but also get their handy faith-based shields on all their flagships, without having to research shields.

The Mono and Nylli feel weak when controlled by the AI, they do a terrible job of expanding.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

lazorexplosion posted:

I found it made them overshoot more, if anything. Not that it matters, I'm making the brawlers size 1 chaff to run ahead of the fleet and troll the enemies into shooting their megadeathkill torpedoes and missiles so they're reloading when the actual ships turn up.

That's what I ended up doing myself - My "Baby Tanktopus" design had 3 separate 'pods' with Command Decks and armor and engines, all connected by a single Railgun mount. They took a ridiculous amount of killing, with all three redundant pods needing to be destroyed to actually take the ship out.

Firgof posted:

All the behaviors and their logic will be greatly improved and further diversified when you get bothe the free update and the expansion.

:hawaaaafap:

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
I am playing a 4-player game in a 70-system Rings galaxy. The Heralds were vassalized to the First, and the Hoonan seem to be reigning supreme whilst I war with them on and off.

Right now I am trying to match the Hoonan's 2000+ size flagship, and I now have the option to build a Colossus hull ship for the first time. However, there seems to be no advantage over the Titan hull, I have two 3072-size ships, one Titan, one Colossus, and the Colossus is more expensive in up-front costs and upkeep.

In fact, I made a third Titan design that tried to copy my 3072 Colossus as closely as possible, and aside from some minor advantages like a second decent-sized Torpedo tube and some extra extra bridges, the Titan version was considerably cheaper for most of the same stats.

What is the point of the Colossus?

Fun bug (?): Your Overlord will support your efforts to diplomatically annex their systems.

I also think the "Increases Power Generation by 25%" research did nothing. I had a power-heavy Graviton Condensor starkiller designed before I got that research, and a redesigned version after was not any different.

KlavoHunter fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 1, 2016

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
I saw some weird behavior in my last game regarding annexations. At one point, the AI had 5 Annex Planet cards played... all for the same planet, at the same time.

AI overlords of AI vassals will happily support their underlings' desire to annex their clay. It doesn't just happen when the defeated player starts some overlord-annexation shenanigans!

I pretty much finished my last game off by planting Outposts in every system in the galaxy, and having so much research done that they were able to take out all AI attempts at building fleets, after I destroyed the fleets they started the Last War with. Mass Outposts to boost your Xenophobia attitude is strong as gently caress, the ultimate where I get cash from destroyed enemy fleets gave me at least 20 million bucks in the opening moments of the Last War, and had me over 200 million when I decided to build a size-63k flagship...

Heralds and their auto-expansion were fun to play as :)

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im thinking of getting this game (I was almost getting stellaris but it seems to be a couple pf patches/DLCs to being good, so will wait) right now, but I have two questions first:

2- should I get the DLC too?
Yes, though I think the DLC needs a patch to make some of the Secret Technologies more effective.

quote:

EDIT: 3- how is the combat? I love 4X games but Ive always been more of a turn-based guy. I can manage real time when it doenst requires fast thinking, like in paradox games, but I dont have patience/skill for frantic classic RTS like starcraft or whatnot

Nice and slow, and there's a pause game function. No crazy micro necessary, pause the game and plan a big attack, tell one fleet to warp in front of the bad guys and one behind, and you should get satisfactory results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Baloogan posted:

pay fullllll priiiiiiice

also it literally IRL took me a year to realize that there wasn't anything special about your starting world aside from a built in water resource and a factory.

Your starting planet has a large number of tiles, so it's not bad to make it into your capital, especially when your Tier II resource planets have few tiles.

• Locked thread