Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

To get in on the ground floor and offer :goonsay::

Star Ruler 2 is a fun, interesting game which takes new spins on various concepts in the 4x genre. While it doesn't much resemble its predecessor other then in name, one thing that is consistent is the ever exuberant dev team. Firgof might not post much outside of his own thread, but he interacts with the community lots.

If anyone's on the fence about this one, I recommend getting it. Its not that hard to pick up, and it has the required depth to keep you amused for quite some time!

On a less reviewy note, when are we gonna get some multiplayer goon games going? Do we have a Star Ruler 2 SA steam group going yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

I had no idea this was out so soon! :wow: Gonna have to pick it up because I enjoyed the original a great deal and I am especially eager to see A) Someone who has explicitly said "We're not trying to succeed MoO2" and B) Diplomacy that is different from the Civ model.

I quite enjoy the diplomacy system in Star Ruler 2, although I tend to dabble in it rather then focus in it. It really is diplomacy that can kick your rear end if someone goes all out on it, ranging from giving you intel to sabotaging their fleets to annexing planets and stealing artifacts.

I'm hoping to see a Galactic Armory style mod in the near future which diversifies in to a bunch of (probably superfluos) weapon types, because I love pointless poo poo like that.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

BlondRobin posted:

Realistically, I can't build a wall in space. In practice, however, only the wildest of tyrannical dictatorships would be able to load up literally a billion people and send them to screaming death at will- which is exactly what will happen when they arrive in my space and I don't want them there. If you don't want to just say 'the people aren't stupid enough to fly there,' I'd settle for stacking penalties to future colonization efforts for every time you lose a colony shortly after it's established (and it was in enemy space) or get all your colony ships killed; something like that. If you're going to send fifteen billion people on an insane mission, you'd assume after the first few billion are never heard from again people are going to be non-plussed about this and it'll take more money to coerce them (by force of arms or by propaganda) to do it.

Well, Colonizers have maintenance the whole time they're travelling, not to mention the cost of losing a billion population. I dunno how much the AI plays the resource game or if it just cheats, but certainly, having to pay colonizer maintenance the whole way out just for it to be popped is kinda its own punishment.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Since no one else seemed to be stepping on it, heres a lovely group I made!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SR2LLJK

Got a game set up for Tuesday at (I believe) 11 PM GMT/ 6 PM EST

Its not gonna have sign ups or anything, it'll be first come first serve on the day and probably be 6 people, depending on host tolerance.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Oh yeah there is. I frequently use fleets with less strength against fleets with huge strength and win. It's about your weapons, the size of them, and how you set your supports to act.

Lots of lasers is awesome, unless your opponent has a ton of armor in which case you might as well be flinging boogers at him.

Lots of missiles rocks. Mixed in with some torpedoes and you can do serious damage. Slowly.

Lots of rail guns rock. Unless your opponent has shields. Then they sort of laugh at you.

A big thing that a lot of people miss is that supplies directly interact with your fleet strength. Missiles and rail guns use supplies, as do repairs, and if your fleet runs out of supplies its combat strength could be as little as a tenth of its earlier level. Make sure your flagship has good supply storage if you're gonna use a lot of missiles, people.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Firgof posted:

Heads up: SR2: Surplus Autocannon's (the SA SR2 goon-munity) first community game is in approximately 2 hours. (5:00 PM CST)

Game is up now, password is as standard for goon games, or if you're not aware of it, its in the event description if you're in the group.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The previous Surplus Autocannons game had basically no one show up, which I'm choosing to blame on it being on a Tuesday and also European summertime starting. It was also relatively early in the evening for NA residents. So, new multiplayer game scheduled for Sunday the 5th at 1 AM GMT+1/8 PM EST

Arianya fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 2, 2015

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Reminder that the Goon MLG Invitational is in a hour. Password as standard for goon games.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Bremen posted:

Wasn't that Sunday? Or is this a different game?

Either way, can't make it tonight, sorry.

I was kinda worried this would happen, hence why I linked http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1&lid=5,0,2634853&h=5&date=2015-4-4&sln=20-21 when announcing. It IS Sunday if you're in the UK/EU, but for NA people its still in their Saturday. Shame to miss you.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Zernach posted:

This looks pretty interesting, how does the single player hold up? Does each game force you to adapt your strategy or does it devolve to a do A->B->C->Win?

On MP side, did you get a game going and if so, how did it go?

In terms of single player, its fun, with various difficulty settings for the AI. Due to the fragility of economy chains, and the length of time involved in creating new fleets, if you're not keeping up (or the AI isn't keeping up) in terms of increasing fleet strength, its quite possible to steam roll into a enemy with their economy never recovering

In terms of multiplayer, I've had no success so far, either due to poor timing or just general lack of interest :(

e: I mean, this is why ideally your economy has surplus planets to its requirement, so you're not broken by a single lost planet, but all chains have a weakness somewhere.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Agean90 posted:

This game rules. I attack other empires by literally launching massive armed space stations into them with Mass Effect relays, then follow up by launching a supply depot next to it so it can act as a beach head.

Im not sure if I can even get enough FTL capacity to launch a planet, but by space-god Im going to try.

Wait, you can do that with fling beacons? Launch stations? Jesus christ, I never even thought of that.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Apologies if this is blindingly obvious, but the video Firgof linked is a 2010 video of Star Ruler 1, not a sneak peek of Star Ruler 2.

The big ships in Star Ruler 1 always worked kinda wonky (especially for things like counting as being "in" a system for purposes of blockading), but it was still fun to fight with star-system sized ships. I'm interested to see what the Heralds have unique about them, they almost sound like a migrant/fleet-based race.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

I'm learning the colonization system of SR2 and I think I've got it figured out, but something that is annoying. Sometimes I'll start a planet colonizing, then I'll stop it for whatever reason. If any of the colony ships gets there the planet will be stuck at <1 Billion people and there is no way to start it growing again, that I've seen. Is this just an oversight?

So far it looks like I have to abandon the planet then recolonize, but that seems inelegant. Is there some way to transfer population between planets that I haven't found?

You can finish colonizing it by selecting a specific planet and right clicking the "half-colonized" planet and selecting "Continue colonizing", its just that the auto-colonizing system doesn't work with that, for some reason.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

My only real complaint is that I tend to hit ESC trying to get out of Design/Diplomacy/Whatever back to Galaxy and instead end up in the Menu. It'd be nice if the first ESC would escape you to the Galaxy tab and then the second would throw you into the menu.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Lprsti99 posted:

Pretty sure there's an option that toggles exactly that situation.

Firgof posted:

You might like the Game option: "Escape Returns to Galaxy Tab". Should do what you're describing here.
For what it's worth there's also an oft-not-seen option a lot of people might enjoy called "Automatically Pause While Viewing Other Tabs".

Lots of folks feel like they have to remember to pause when they go build a ship or etc when in fact the game can do it for you.

Well I feel like a fool now. :downs:

Thanks to both!

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Firgof posted:

Flash update just went up on the Steam forums, announcing the new Satellite-type for Orbitals and, in particular, the "Ring Habitat" shown below:

Finally Star Ruler 2 can fully inhabit the "Ian M. Banks Culture Simulator" title of its predecessor :allears:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Firgof posted:

There's a new article on Wake of the Heralds' Invasion maptype, the Senate Leader mechanic for Diplomacy, and the Influence Victory condition.

More info here!

Invasion sounds like a fun thing to do if you don't want to play a 10 hour game or you just wanna have fun with some friends.

Re: Influence Victory, will there be any way to "block" that, outside of the influence system itself? I'm having flashbacks to Endless Legend and its Drakken race, that if you let get out of control/are too far away to touch, can become unstoppable because they force peace on you and slowly rack up their victory points while you sit there paralyzed because your mega huge death swarm of bugs/humans/living armour is politically paralyzed from consuming them.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

GGLucas posted:

Like the other alternate victory condition (The Revenant parts, which are the energy victory), we made it a little softer than a "you win now" button.

There's a ton of prerequisites (become senate leader, build a senatorial palace, win both a galactic utopia and a galactic superpower vote), and if you lose your senate leader status or your palace gets destroyed anywhere along the way you have to start over. Even after you get all those things, rather than simply "winning" your empire is deemed so amazing that any planets bordering it will automatically start converting to you side, so enemies will likely have some minutes to watch their dwindling empires and try to mount a desperate last stand.

Right, that makes sense, so a last minute, Ride of the Valkyries style lightning strike on the planet with a fleet of planet bombarders could save you from the wave of blue jeans and pop music Cultural onslaught.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Just picked this up on steam! Time to get Heraldric!

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The new jumpdrives are great but have SO many bugs. From post-jump ships trying to path back to where they started, to ships consuming FTL and not actually making the jump, to the bizzare "ships do a jump but instead of jumping the flagship and its supports are strewn randomly across the path to the destination.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Theres the size 16 or so Miner that I think is a starting mining ship, but you should really upgrade that out the gate since the tiny miner can carry like, 30 ore max. Just superbly inefficient use of time, especially since their automation doesn't allow them to FTL to their drop off point and back.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

According to the score tracks I'm doing things wrong in the early game, and probably has to be with how pissed off I am when the AI grabs a planet where I already have colonizers inbound.

Are you supposed to keep some people around your homeworld instead of colonizing everywhere on the first 4-5 budget circles? I'm not in debt, but it seems I have no influence, pressure capacity or basically anything cool.

First of all, remember that you can right click a planet without any planet selected -> select colonize this, and the game will automatically pick planets to send people from without dipping below 1 bill.

Population on PLANETS defines quite a lot of income and colonizers eat up a lot of upkeep.

Your first aim should be to colonize the 3 planets in your home system, as well as one food system elsewhere. Level up your homeplanet to Level 2, let it recuperate some population, as well as letting the Level 1 thats feeding your Level 2 get up to full population. Spend the time either manually exploring, or sending your fleet to where your scouts have scouted, picking up anomalies/fighting Remnants. Once your planets are back up to full pop, you'll have a healthy budget and some pressure being used. You should now aim to pick up the tier 1 and tier 2 needed for level 3 on your homeworld. Your order for colonizing should always be:

Food/Water for Tier 1 -> Tier 1 -> Food/Water for Tier 2 -> Tier 2 -> Food for Homeworld

We leave food for the homeworld till last because it does nothing valuable until the planet has the tiered resources it needs. Similarly, we make sure we have food/water for our tiered resource planets first because the tiered planet is worthless without them.

At this point you should have enough planets that your colonizers are leaving from multiple sources and no planet is getting sapped all the way down to 1 pop. Remember to avoid level 0 resources (Iron, Coal, Pekelm) at the start because, while they provide pressure, they're also a drain on the treasury. Remember to build Metropolises/Megacities if your homeworld/other planets end up over pressure. Your pressure buildings won't dissapear if you go over pressure, but it will stop new pressure buildings being built, which is a big deal. Remember that pressure capacity is also a function of population level.

Thats just some general tips. I can go into more specifics if you come across some specific issues.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 27, 2016

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks, it seems I was just going too fast.

Wait, so if a planet jumps from, say, 2/4 to 6/4, it'll be stuck with 2 buildings until it gets more pressure capacity? That's painful.

My particular example was in relation to 4/4 suddenly shifting to 4/2, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure of your scenario...

My gut says it'll expand until its using up 4 of the 6 pressure available, but I'd need to actually test it... will do so once I get home!

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I did a quick 1 hour game during lunch break and I'm keeping up with the 7 Easy AIs in score, have 4 level homeworld and a healthy 1,5M budget, so I'm going to assume that I can graduate to another one of the 4X's: eXterminate :getin:

I'm rated "weak" in military. Is making all my ships 30% bigger and retrofitting them (can I retrofit something to make it bigger?) , while building a couple extra destroyers good enough? In fact, what does ship size actually do?

Ship size does act as a multiplier to a certain extent. Just bear in mind that you don't want to just upgrade the flagship, you want to upgrade/make new supports too, since torpedos become more dangerous to supports as flagships get bigger.

And yes, you can retrofit something to a larger size, so long as it bears the same name as the original.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Won my first "real" game against 7 easy AIs! Or at least I'm basically unstoppable when I put a proposal out, Space President and the biggest fish in the pond by a large margin, so it's probably just a matter of keeping on annexing systems. Now to get my rear end kicked by harder AI. Some questions, though:

- Do the AIs ever declare war on Easy? The only aggression I've seen is from some Annex cards, and every relation towards me has been "Peaceful" up to the moment I declared war.
- Can I get more information about their military, number of planets and influence that the rating that appears in the Diplomacy screen? If 2 races are rated "Strong" in military, can I see which of us is actually stronger? Also, rating only your stockpile of influence points seems a bit simplistic, given that you have to buy cards.
- Regarding the military rating, does it count ships or does it also add things like Beacons and Orbital Replicators and whatever?

Can't answer most of these, but:

quote:

- Regarding the military rating, does it count ships or does it also add things like Beacons and Orbital Replicators and whatever?

I believe it simply sums up all military strength in your empire, so military fleets, support ships on standby near a planet, defense stations, etc. I don't know if it makes note of things like planet-bound defenses (Railgun, Missile Defense)

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

sean10mm posted:

I haven't played a space 4x since goddamn GalCiv2, and this really make me want to get SR2.

So I guess my obvious dumb question is... how does this compare to GalCiv2? I played a ton of that game but eventually just got burned out on it, and GalCiv3 by all accounts is just a step backwards or sideways from that.

To give the closest comparison I can:

Real Time Strategy instead of Turn Based Strategy

Similar style of grid based planet building, albeit a lot of it is done automatically by your "citizens", you build big important projects

More weapon variety for fleets

Fleets are mostly made up of automatically built small ships with you specifically building the flagships

More ship customization

Tech research is more passive/based on a "tech bush" where you can choose to go down a specific chain

There's less "character" to SR2 overall, I would say. Whether thats a good or a bad thing depends on your imagination/how much you liked GalCiv2

Faster paced

Decent/strong AI, though it can be hoodwinked in certain ways to break it (though so can most AIs, so thats not saying much.)

Not much in the way of random events. There are "anomalies" which are out in the open for anyone to scan and look at, but these generally have positive outcomes and at worst spawn a middling, stationary aggresive neutral fleet.

A very strong diplomatic system. Going diplomacy heavy is not only an option but a strong one, with much more available to you then the usual diplomatic options. (Examples include Electing yourself Galactic Senate Leader for bonuses to politics, using accrued intelligence on enemies to weaken their political stance, "Investigating" them to get to see their territory and ships etc.)

These are just bulletpoints, but should give some idea as to key differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

EDIT: 3- how is the combat? I love 4X games but Ive always been more of a turn-based guy. I can manage real time when it doenst requires fast thinking, like in paradox games, but I dont have patience/skill for frantic classic RTS like starcraft or whatnot

Most of the "strategy" is strategic rather then tactical (i.e. choosing your fleet composition and your fleet movement). You can order fleets to retreat/attack but have little involvment with their actual actions once they get into combat. As poster above noted, you can pause/slowdown the game as needed.

• Locked thread