Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Firgof posted:

All the behaviors and their logic will be greatly improved and further diversified when you get bothe the free update and the expansion.

ETA for this, by the way? I'm trying to cajole some friends into buying the game, and new content will help. I've read the last page of your posts but haven't seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

So, it's there any point to upgrading my capital instead of, say, a random 3 Resource planet?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Lorini posted:

Two (much better, sorry BMS) streams for SR2 from QuartertoThree's Tom Chick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgd6hJjybHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVKhcWGTfLc

I got a far better understanding of the game than I had before after watching all of the first one and an hour of the second.

This is great, I'm watching the first one and it's very useful to see him explain and reason his moves.

Stupid question: how do I mine ore asteroids? I can't build miners on my homeworld.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

I played Heralds right after release of the expansion and all I had civilian wise was a Scout and a Tractor.

Yeah, this was my problem. IIRC a very early version of the game (it still had the first tech tree) had a miner design from the start, so when I didn't see it I assumed that the mechanic had changed, specially because you can build some mining stations from planets.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

A ring world is an end game luxury project.

Am I missing a key mechanic?

If you're not playing this game to build ridiculous end game luxury projects and fling planets around I don't know what to tell you.

I'm getting soundly trashed by the AI so I haven't build any end game poo poo yet

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

According to the score tracks I'm doing things wrong in the early game, and probably has to be with how pissed off I am when the AI grabs a planet where I already have colonizers inbound.

Are you supposed to keep some people around your homeworld instead of colonizing everywhere on the first 4-5 budget circles? I'm not in debt, but it seems I have no influence, pressure capacity or basically anything cool.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, it seems I was just going too fast.

Conot posted:

Your pressure buildings won't dissapear if you go over pressure, but it will stop new pressure buildings being built, which is a big deal.

Wait, so if a planet jumps from, say, 2/4 to 6/4, it'll be stuck with 2 buildings until it gets more pressure capacity? That's painful.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I did a quick 1 hour game during lunch break and I'm keeping up with the 7 Easy AIs in score, have 4 level homeworld and a healthy 1,5M budget, so I'm going to assume that I can graduate to another one of the 4X's: eXterminate :getin:

I'm rated "weak" in military. Is making all my ships 30% bigger and retrofitting them (can I retrofit something to make it bigger?) , while building a couple extra destroyers good enough? In fact, what does ship size actually do?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Won my first "real" game against 7 easy AIs! Or at least I'm basically unstoppable when I put a proposal out, Space President and the biggest fish in the pond by a large margin, so it's probably just a matter of keeping on annexing systems. Now to get my rear end kicked by harder AI. Some questions, though:

- Do the AIs ever declare war on Easy? The only aggression I've seen is from some Annex cards, and every relation towards me has been "Peaceful" up to the moment I declared war.
- Can I get more information about their military, number of planets and influence that the rating that appears in the Diplomacy screen? If 2 races are rated "Strong" in military, can I see which of us is actually stronger? Also, rating only your stockpile of influence points seems a bit simplistic, given that you have to buy cards.
- Regarding the military rating, does it count ships or does it also add things like Beacons and Orbital Replicators and whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

This helped me a bunch.

Conot posted:

First of all, remember that you can right click a planet without any planet selected -> select colonize this, and the game will automatically pick planets to send people from without dipping below 1 bill.

Population on PLANETS defines quite a lot of income and colonizers eat up a lot of upkeep.

Your first aim should be to colonize the 3 planets in your home system, as well as one food system elsewhere. Level up your homeplanet to Level 2, let it recuperate some population, as well as letting the Level 1 thats feeding your Level 2 get up to full population. Spend the time either manually exploring, or sending your fleet to where your scouts have scouted, picking up anomalies/fighting Remnants. Once your planets are back up to full pop, you'll have a healthy budget and some pressure being used. You should now aim to pick up the tier 1 and tier 2 needed for level 3 on your homeworld. Your order for colonizing should always be:

Food/Water for Tier 1 -> Tier 1 -> Food/Water for Tier 2 -> Tier 2 -> Food for Homeworld

We leave food for the homeworld till last because it does nothing valuable until the planet has the tiered resources it needs. Similarly, we make sure we have food/water for our tiered resource planets first because the tiered planet is worthless without them.

At this point you should have enough planets that your colonizers are leaving from multiple sources and no planet is getting sapped all the way down to 1 pop. Remember to avoid level 0 resources (Iron, Coal, Pekelm) at the start because, while they provide pressure, they're also a drain on the treasury. Remember to build Metropolises/Megacities if your homeworld/other planets end up over pressure. Your pressure buildings won't dissapear if you go over pressure, but it will stop new pressure buildings being built, which is a big deal. Remember that pressure capacity is also a function of population level.

Thats just some general tips. I can go into more specifics if you come across some specific issues.

• Locked thread