Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
It'd be nice if other empires couldn't build outposts in systems where you have outposts, especially if you're at war. Just had a game where the empire I was at war with would continually build outposts in my systems over and over again no matter how many times I destroyed them. It was also annoying how my system defenses would just let this happen if the outpost was out of immediate fire range. The systems had outposts full of support and planets full of support but they'd all sit there doing nothing.

Is there some option to have system defense be more proactive? If not, it would be nice if there was. My defenses consisting of mobile support ships shouldn't just sit there and watch the enemy we're at war with build an outpost that's a millimeter outside their firing range. This leads to a really annoying game of whack-a-mole, especially on higher difficulties where AI are allowed to cheat so them losing ~300K per mole whacked means nothing to them.

BlondRobin posted:

4: please, please, please, please, please make some kind of ban on colonizing new worlds in territory held by people you are at war with. I cannot seriously believe any empire anywhere could convince a billion civilians to load up and decide to live behind enemy lines, and it is incredibly frustrating to watch the AI decide that planet in one of my systems way behind the line of conflict is definitely the planet they want to live on- and now I have to send a fleet back to deal with it, wasting my time and losing more money holding a planet I had no use for just so they can't take it again and make me play this irritating game of Whack-A-Mole. It hasn't even created interesting openings where one of my fleets is occupied, either; it usually just wastes time. Financially it's a wash, as they have to pay to colonize it and I have to pay to prevent them from doing it again.

Agreed. However, you can prevent other races from colonizing systems by building an outpost there. Once the outpost has been completed and has been in place for 2 minutes (IIRC) then no other races can colonize that system without taking out the outpost first.

However, outposts are pretty weak and unless I missed something you can't design your own. I'd like to have the ability to design my own outposts. Perhaps add an outpost hull that doesn't allow engines and has a fixed upkeep cost of 10% of the build cost. Might also be nice if there was a component that added to the defense building output of the outpost. Either that or make it a fixed amount based on the outposts scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
One thing I think would be nice for the research screen is an optional view or maybe separate page that lists the techs by category like we're used to seeing in other games, then clicking on the tech you want will take you to the research screen and outline the path to that tech. Better yet, it'll queue all the techs up to and including that one and research them as soon as RP becomes available.

Right now it's kind of a PITA to figure out "How do I get better guns/shields/whatever?" when you're new. Hell, even finding out what guns/shields/whatever are available to be researched is a pain with the current screen and it's easy to miss techs as techs of the same type aren't all grouped together. There are some small groupings though which may lead you to think that those are all the options for that type of tech, but generally that isn't true.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Latest release seems to be pretty crash happy. I've crashed twice in the last 90 minutes or so. Might have something to do with the game being creating in an older release (though still a final release version, not beta). I'm playing as stock Hoonan with 6 players set to 2nd highest difficulty level with 2 60 planet spiral galaxies. If I can repro the crash I'll post the save and repro steps on the official forums. Neither crash happened immediately after a player action, so it'll probably be a pain figuring out how to repro it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I'm surprised Space Sector hasn't reviewed the game yet. I e-mailed them about it but surely they have a review in the works. They've been pretty good about reviewing pretty much every 4X and space-related game that comes out.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
FYI Adam Solo got back to me and said they're planning on posting a review next week on Space Sector.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

tonberrytoby posted:

Bought this on the steam sale, but I have only played the tutorial for now.

The most annoying thing for is that I can't find a way to control the game speed while I am in a menu. Especially annoying in the diplomatic and research menus.
Did I miss a button, or do I have to look up some keyboard shortcuts?

There is an option (I thought it was enabled by default) to pause the game when you're not on the system/map view. Other than that you can map a key to pause/unpause and I believe there are key mappings for speed up and slow down.

e: Doh, didn't see the reply obviously.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rhjamiz posted:

Has anyone played with the Hive mod on the workshop? I love the idea of bug-race lifestyles but after toying with it, it feels rather unbalanced. But I'm not sure if that's just me.

______________________^

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Firgof posted:

More sneak peaks!

Edit: For serious though, we will be pushing out a large amount of information about the expansion very soon, including its target launch date. We're kinda/sorta waiting on Valve right now to do some stuff before we put that information out. So hang tight!

Rude. :colbert:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

OwlFancier posted:

He was super pumped for sword of the stars 2 before it released and was super pissed off when it was a pile of poo poo. He likes his spergy space 4Xs.

Yeah, I tried to find a video of him being pissed off about SotS2 to post here but couldn't find it, just his impressions of their first "fixed" upload after the release that was still bullshit.

Pretty sure he'd like Star Ruler 2.

Not sure why people think it's so hard to learn this game. Just stop thinking it's a MoO clone and go through the tutorial and it's really pretty easy to pick up and things make sense, in general anyway. :) The Diplomacy is far and away the best in any 4X I've ever played. Most games just do the boring trade/treaty window that is almost the exact same as it was in MoO days, with better graphics and possibly a few more options. I've always treated it as a boring necessity to con techs out of the AI or get the AI off my back for a while. With SR2 it's actually fun to use and has a lot of utility that directly impacts how the game plays.

If the worst happens and the studio closes I hope some other 4X game designers down the road pay attention to the diplomacy design in this game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Firgof posted:

It's tomorrow so you're not that far off.

:vince:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Purchased and downloading, then blowing off work to play. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Deadmeat5150 posted:

No poo poo, Ive never had so much fun at diplomacy.

Nah, making sure the diplomacy balance is >= 5 is way more fun. I also really like adding and removing poo poo to see if options are even possible for each AI player instead of just graying out those options and explaining why on mouseover. (Yes, I'm obviously bitching about Stellaris but that's also pretty much every other 4X as well.)

Definitely the biggest improvement/innovation in this game compared to the standard 4X formula.

• Locked thread