Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I didn't realize the discussion had moved here from the official forums (which seem to be one massive spambomb at this point). Any more tidbits to share? How much do I need to have ready in my Steam wallet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Take my money already.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

If this means "tomorrow" that would make for a good way to start the week. Good luck on the expansion.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Firgof posted:

Keep your eyeballs on the thread. Soon is about to become very soon.

You're killing us. Well, me at least.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Firgof posted:

More sneak peaks!

Edit: For serious though, we will be pushing out a large amount of information about the expansion very soon, including its target launch date. We're kinda/sorta waiting on Valve right now to do some stuff before we put that information out. So hang tight!

Wake of the Star Elders?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Firgof posted:

The expansion will be purchasable and downloadable through GOG.

Edit: By the way, we've got some graphical upgrades in store for y'all's viewing pleasure. Please enjoy a complementary sample.

What are "Attitudes"?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

This looks fantastic. The Attitudes feature looks just as innovative as Diplomacy in the base game. SR2 is one of the most innovative strategy games to come out in a long time. Good luck with sales!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

For whatever it's worth, I found the tabbed interface very intuitive, to the point that I wondered why another game hadn't done it sooner.

I think what makes SR2 challenging to learn is that it takes just about every RTS and 4X convention and innovates on it in a new, interesting way. So players aren't learning the "one neat trick", they have to learn many.

E.g. Planetary Annihilation looks like a cool game, but it's basically a gimmick. "Oh look! It's Total Annihilation from 1996 with spherical battlegrounds and the ability to use even bigger nukes." SR2 has new gimmicks for everything: ship design, research costs, diplomacy, the concept of influence, scale, resources, etc.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

GGLucas posted:

Like the other alternate victory condition (The Revenant parts, which are the energy victory), we made it a little softer than a "you win now" button.

There's a ton of prerequisites (become senate leader, build a senatorial palace, win both a galactic utopia and a galactic superpower vote), and if you lose your senate leader status or your palace gets destroyed anywhere along the way you have to start over. Even after you get all those things, rather than simply "winning" your empire is deemed so amazing that any planets bordering it will automatically start converting to you side, so enemies will likely have some minutes to watch their dwindling empires and try to mount a desperate last stand.

I looked at the write-up on this victory condition on Steam and thought "meh" because I dislike auto-win alternate victory scenarios. I should have known better with you guys. "Adjacent planets start flipping" is a really, really cool way to do this. It's not an automatic win, but is inevitable unless the other side does something about it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

deathbagel posted:

No need to worry, but I appreciate it! Hopefully you guys can come up with a solution. I really wanted to try the expansion out and give you my :10bux: and hopefully scratch the itch till Stellaris comes out.

Honestly, if you run "cracked" software that could be causing your issue. Such software is not going to care if it blows away some Windows DLL the game needs to run. Unless you really know what you're doing, consider flattening your OS, wiping your disk, and starting over.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

deathbagel posted:

I don't typically, however I do know what I am doing. I did in this one instance to see if it was Steam causing issues. I have 0 problems with the other 89 games that I own on Steam and the few that I own outside of Steam as well, including WoT and WoS which I have been playing unenthusiastically while I wait to see if there is a way that I can play this game, which is what I really want to be playing. Thank you for jumping to conclusions about my integrity however.

No need to climb onto a cross. I didn't impugn your integrity: I just gave qualified advice based on limited information. I'm glad you know what you're doing, though keep in mind what Firgof wrote: there is no cracked version of SR2 (or SR1): they run without DRM.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'll dogpile onto this view. The card system is one of those things that seems obvious in retrospect: "Why haven't games been doing this for years?" It's even a fun play on words. "If we play our cards right, we might convince them to do such-and-such," or, "I'm going to play the no-thank-you card."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Baloogan posted:

So, I played this about a year ago and wrote it off as crap, now I've been getting back into it because its fun. I play like poo poo, but its fun. Bought the DLC, could really use a 'guided campaign' like a extra long tutorial with goals like "level up this money planet to lvl 4"

The new focuses help with that a little bit.

• Locked thread