Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I know how to beat beam snipers. I will beat them. Soon.

Ish.

Soonish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Pro gate strat: Set up a trade alliance with someone then colonize a useless world in their system. Build a factory or two on the planet just to get some labor moving then build a gate, make sure you already have a gate at your homeworld. Now build a commerce station at your new world. When it's finished, build a commerce station on every system of your allies and continue to spread until every system of their has at least one commerce station.

Sit back and watch the spacebux roll in.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Conot posted:

Well, Colonizers have maintenance the whole time they're travelling, not to mention the cost of losing a billion population. I dunno how much the AI plays the resource game or if it just cheats, but certainly, having to pay colonizer maintenance the whole way out just for it to be popped is kinda its own punishment.

The AI seems to play the resource game and cheat very little. I've watched one go into debt repeatedly while trying to kill one stupidly defended system.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Hagop posted:

I have no idea what I am doing on the combat side of this game, Is their something to it beyond rub fleets together guy with more better ships wins.

Oh yeah there is. I frequently use fleets with less strength against fleets with huge strength and win. It's about your weapons, the size of them, and how you set your supports to act.

Lots of lasers is awesome, unless your opponent has a ton of armor in which case you might as well be flinging boogers at him.

Lots of missiles rocks. Mixed in with some torpedoes and you can do serious damage. Slowly.

Lots of rail guns rock. Unless your opponent has shields. Then they sort of laugh at you.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Section Z posted:

As a guy who knows nothing about this, is loving TERRIBLE at strategy, but has a fresh month of excusing impulse buys coming, I have one question before I get some rest.

Can you fire Mono's out of a giant cannon as a means to colonize other worlds with them?

Sots 1 is the only game of this type I've put in enough time to be close to 'understanding' what I was doing... Or at least, :neckbeard: at the ship battles as I win three out of ten games that involve more than one AI :downs:

This is basically how they colonize other world's. Yes.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Hagop posted:

So I still don't know what the hell I am doing on the combat side of things.

Should movement matter out side of kiting?

I tried circling a fleet I was fighting and they just spun in place and kept up with my ships, and I can't seem to find any method get get my ships to break up and bawl or even change formation. Am I missing something, as this would seem to make weapon arcs mostly useless?

If you want your supports to leave formation and do things like Raid, you have to make sure they have adequate ammo stores on board, even for laser boats.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Protip: 2,000 size 1 supports with a small railgun and a ton of engines makes for an amazing cavalry support.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I look at that as min/maxing and I despise min/maxing

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I like the mod where I can choose different weapon colors. That was actually kind of bugging me and in didn't realize it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The MP is fantastic. It was fun as hell when I got invited to test amd has only gotten better. I wish I had more free time to do it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Special funds stick around until you spend them. Think of them like money set aside for special government projects that isn't affected by the budget because it has already been set aside.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
What controversy is there surrounding SD2 other than Zero had a huge bitchfit on Something Awful because he didn't like people critiquing his darling StarDrive?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh yeah I forgot all about him promising poo poo for SD1. I tested that game too.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Reason posted:

In Quill18's Lets Try he says the game gets a little bit samey fairly quickly. Is that correct?

I haven't found that at all really. But I'm playing on multi-galaxy maps against 10 to 12 races with a crapton of stars. The political intrigue alone keeps me on my toes for a long time.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Stevefin posted:

To add to this for one more post. SD2 is an inferior game to SD1 for me, adding everything into turn based isolated game. The one thing I did like from SD1 was the combat pace

I picked up SD2 because I did enjoy SD1 despite Zero's temper tantrum and I agree. The turn-based system is irritating even if you can hold down the spacebar to make it semi-real time. The combat is... well actually it's a little boring. It's kind of pretty and I made a ship made of nothing but Vulcan cannons just to see if I could but it list appeal quickly. The pace of the game is also way off. SR2 gives you time to amass an empire and actually feel powerful before you get too involved with other races. SD2 even on the largest map you meet another race very quickly and then poof suddenly you meet everyone.

SR2 is pretty clearly the superior game here.

And it will only get better once Firgof lets me use clouds of fighters from my central carrier hint hint.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

DarthJeebus posted:

Which planets should i focus on upgrading? Your homeworld seems like the obvious first choice but is there a reason not to?

Not that I have found. Your homeworld tends to stay your powerbase all game.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Bremen posted:

I usually leave my homeworld at level 1, actually. It doesn't have any leveled resources, so its only advantage is some innate labor generation. If instead you focus on leveling up a planet with a level 3 resource, or a multi-level resource like FTL crystals, you get those as bonuses in addition to the higher income and pressure cap from being high level.

I guess I've gotten too used to being Mono now, cause I always copy some awesome resource I find.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Agean90 posted:

So this means if put a layer of reactive armor on top of plate armor then the damage from a missile will get reduced through the reactive then hit the plate with reduced force, stopping it?

This is exactly what happens and is why my layered armor designs survive against ships mich larger than they are.

Stevefin posted:

So how do you export labor?

You can only export it to a shipyard to help build giant ships.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've heard back from three youtubers I follow that said they'll take a look. Also sent off emails to several of the RPS writers demanding they look.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm banging those war drums for you dude. I want to see more games from you guys.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I would say that the tech screen is kind of a hot mess it feels like. I at least want to keep the names of techs when I scroll out.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You know what would be cool? If the systems slowly revolved around the galactic center.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Takkaryx posted:

The community page is nice, but I wish there was a way to sort or search by cost/labor/size/role/tech requirements. Once you've found a layout that works though, I like that I can just increase ship size as my econ gets rolling

As the size of my empire grows, so to do the size of my ships. However every time I bump my capitals up a notch or two, I decrease the size of their weapons and add maybe one or two more. I like more dakka.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Zombie #246 posted:

What screen is this? I don't recall something like this in the first game.

That's the planet management screen.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

JonBolds posted:

Gonna stream this in a bit, just after 3 eastern:
http://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine

:getin:

You managed to stream right when I wasn't able to watch. :argh:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

JonBolds posted:

Thanks, cheers!

The game is super fun. I am kind of bad at it, but getting better.

There's a lot to manage at once, and that's where I get bogged down. I end up with lots of spare research, or with energy piling up, etc.

Anyone have any tips for not doing that?

Plan a research goal, like ringworlds, and shotgun towards it. Spend every last dime of research you get.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Awesome! Now a way to profit more from civilian trade traffic. We need space coast guard to find contraband!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

victrix posted:

Can the AI put up a fight?

Do custom ship designs break it? Do you have to spend a lot of time fiddling with custom ships?

The AI regularly whips my butt. I mean, I'm not very good despite sinking 300+ hours into the game, but the AI is a challenge.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I play on normal, but I always play huge games.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Who needs thrusters on a ship on the thousands? Fling it to the middle of the system and watch it wreck havoc.

Agean90 posted:

Now get a few planets and mount some railguns and missile launchers on them. You raid my capital? No! My capital raids you

In Soviet Mono Empire, Capital invades ypu!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Hey Firgof, Lucas never responded to me before my game crashed so here are some screenshots of a weird graphic glitch I've been getting with Muon Cannons.

And this is just because I love showing off my armadas

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

JonBolds posted:

So! This game contains some secret differences between races that, as far as I noticed, the race screen does not list.

I learned this by starting my first game as the Oko, a Verdant race, who don't send out a stream of colony ships. They send out one giant spore.

What other secret differences are there that I don't know about? To date, I've only played Terrakin.

Mechanoids beam population to planets.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Muon cannons are best used on small ships as they are more inaccurate than railguns but fire faster. Use them on ships with Cannon behavior set and watch the wall of death spread out. Railguns are best for large ships, especially after you research the tech that gives them some physics knockback. My size 5k ship with a spinal railgun sends any ship it doesn't kill in one shot flipping across the system.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

FileNotFound posted:

How does science generation work? Even in a sizable empire I am only generating about 3.5/s...Is there a cap? I built research labs but the growth doesn't seem to be there...

The further you research the harder it becomes to produce science. There also seems to be some diminishing returns as well. Two science buildings on the same planet don't appear to double the output of the planet.

It's also a good idea to check the pressures of your planets. If it's in the red you get only a small fraction of the output.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Summer sale!

It has become quiet in here.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I like autipausing for everything but diplomacy.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Thunder Moose posted:

As Mechanoids I am encountering an issue when colonizing food/water planets. No I don't need the resources but I do want to claim them for income and any energy, research, defense, etc buff the planet may have.

The problem is upon getting colonized and presented with the "+2 population" to level up message, sending 2 batches of people over does nothing.

Bug or intentional?

It aeems intentional to me. Terraform the planet into into a level 1 resource then send over more population. Works a lot better.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Gates are by far my favorite. I had a stealth gate that I slipped behind my buddy's frontline once. As soon as it opened, right outside his homeworld, my massive fleets poured through.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I want to try a NO FTL race. Just to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There's a lot of depth in it once you figure out the various FTL methods and how best to counter them. There are counters for everything. Swarming little ships? Torpedoes. Big ships with thick armor? Rocket pods and rail guns.

• Locked thread