Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
Problem description:
This morning I noticed my virtual machine was busted up and freezing. Some investigation revealed a whole bunch of disk errors/warnings in both the guest and host. I decided not to gently caress around and backed up everything on the disk... except for one file that fails to copy: the virtual machine's virtual disk file. When copying this file, I get "Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I'd like to save as much as possible of this file. I'm sure there must be some software that can do this easily, but searching turns up a whole load of poo poo articles pimping potential adware that doesn't even sound like what I need. Does anyone know off the top of their head what I'm looking for?

Attempted fixes:
Ran "chkdsk /r" on the drive. I get this:
code:
Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...

A disk read error occurredc0000185
The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
detected in file 1092 of name \VirtualBox machines\cent7\cent7.vdi.
I don't know what that really means, because the disk is like half empty. After that message, the test continues and when it finishes it reports no problems of any kind. w@w great, thanks.

Recent changes: Nah

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1

System specs: Who cares. The failing disk is about 2 years old. Windows reports model "ST2000DM001-1CH164". Interestingly, when I went and looked at my order history that is not actually the disk I bought.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

TestDisk for a CLI, Recuva for a GUI. If those don't work, freezer trick. If those don't work, there is Linux arcanery that is beyond me.

Tolstojevski
Apr 10, 2009
If you can still mount the virtual disk, try using roadkil's copier to get what you can out of it, look into the settings and flip it to try for damaged files last. You could also use something like clonedisk to try for a 1:1 copy before doing any experimenting as a bad drive has a chance of getting damaged with any operation you do.

• Locked thread