Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Anybody else feeling like the honeymoon is over? I'm not having much fun and only feeling bugs

I actually feel that some of the major issues I had with the game seemed to smooth themselves out as I progressed. By the 3rd season scheduling worked fine insomuch as I didn't notice at 3 games in 3 days things, and trades got a lot more frequent and interesting (although bad teams will still sell a little to hard at the deadline - the Ducks traded Getzlaf and the Wild traded Suter). Still, I'm enjoying it and it's a challenge again because I don't know all the ways to cheat the AI like I did in 07.

Prospects particularly are pretty fun as development seems to be genuniely varied and difficult to predict at times. In 07 I never read what my scouts said and could pick a top player or two per draft on attributes alone. Now the prospects the game generates are a lot less developed at 18, and some guys that look poor early on quickly progress into excellent players and sometimes players with high ratings the attributes that used to be killer (speed, wristshot, hitting) stagnate in other areas or even decline. I find myself agonizing over some draft decisions and actually using my scouts, which I never did in 07.

I'm past the pre-created young players, so the last couple drafts have been entirely computer generated and they've been decent. There have been flaws including a WHL LW who went 1st overall despite having 38 points in his draft year (compared to 85-95 for the other top prospects) but he had decent attributes; a guy ended up being ranked 3rd overall in the final draft rankings despite being unranked in the preliminary and mid-season rankings, teams will go way off the board with high picks too frequently (players ranked 35-50 sometimes go 5th overall); and there seems to be a serious issue with players wanting to go to college never actually signing with one. Generally it has been good though, and players I've drafted I thought were sure things have gone nowhere and I've had a couple late round surprises from nothing picks.

It still has its flaws, but it's way better than FHM and if it makes it to a full release it should be quite good. I am a lot less disappointed then I was last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

I actually feel that some of the major issues I had with the game seemed to smooth themselves out as I progressed. By the 3rd season scheduling worked fine insomuch as I didn't notice at 3 games in 3 days things, and trades got a lot more frequent and interesting (although bad teams will still sell a little to hard at the deadline - the Ducks traded Getzlaf and the Wild traded Suter). Still, I'm enjoying it and it's a challenge again because I don't know all the ways to cheat the AI like I did in 07.

I'm definitely noticing stars moving. Caps traded Ovechkin, Wild traded Suter. Now a few years in the Blackhawks have traded both Toews and Kane. And Toews led the Leafs to a cup, which should be a war crime (although Malkin probably helped too--i traded him to the Flames and he walked as a free agent).

Of course when I tanked (and won the lottery for 1st overall and also had the flames pick at #4) I got fired right after the draft :argh:

I also like when the board fired my coach and then in the press acted like they didn't know what was happening. Dicks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

myron cope posted:

I also like when the board fired my coach and then in the press acted like they didn't know what was happening. Dicks.

I had no idea the board could fire your coach for you, that's amazing meddling.

I disabled human GM sacking because I figured the game would be too buggy and I want to figure out how it works first. I probably should have been canned because I finally made the playoffs after 5 seasons and lost in 6 games to the Wild. A couple of my high draft picks from then are looking like extremely mediocre players too because I relied too heavily on attributes at 18 and the guys my scouts suggested are already outstripping them. Curse those 6'2 210lb two-way centres in the 6-10th overall range, they never turn into Patrice Bergeron :arghfist:

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Big update just dropped to fix the trade and roster move AI among other things:

Changelist for 15.1.0b

New features:

Graphical playoff tree for viewing playoff stages
Added skin graphics for attributes on player and non-player profiles
New AI for evaluating the overall roster changes in trades

Database Import changes for 2014 rules:
[apply to new games started with newly imported databases only]

Changed various relegation stage stats type to playouts
Changed Swedish league relegation stage to have two rounds of games
Updated Russian league points system
Added alternative schedule with olympic break for Russian league schedule
Adjusted expected wages in Russian league
Adjusted expected wages in Finnish leagues

Database Import changes for 2006 rules:
[apply to new games started with newly imported databases only]

Fixed olympic years for older historical databases

Gameplay changes:

Improved AI evaluation of players in trades
Improved AI for trimming roster when near salary cap limits
Improved chances of players waiving their no-trade clause when being traded to a contender
Scout assignment instructions default to "Recaps only" for reports
Improved AI evaluation of draft picks in trades
Improved AI evaluation of expected turns of draft picks
Improved AI for responding to trade offers when offering out players to all teams
Improved AI for putting expensive older players on the block
Updated NAL scheduling templates to fix the issue of too many consecutive games
Updated NAL all-star game date
Fixed away jersey selection for certain leagues to use white away
Fixed GM patience not resetting between trade negotiations
Fixed league statistics CSV export for playoff stats
Disabled foreign release clauses on standard contracts at Russian teams
Nation overview screen now lists only first nationality players in the top players/youths
Fixed contract extension demand strings on contract offer screen
Fixed international tournament host selection news item year being one year off in some cases
Fixed North-American pro teams signing players from juniors during playoffs
Allowed human managers to keep three goalies on roster without warning when not coaching games
Fixed team ranking evaluations for season preview news
Fixed best players by position evaluations for season preview news
Entry level contracts signed near the end of the season will now automatically slide one year forward
Fixed being able to offer contracts to restricted free agents in Russia
Fixed rights expiry date for players drafted out of college
Adjustments to older player progression
Adjustments to player budget changes between seasons
Adjustments to shortlisting players for major hockey nations

UI changes:

Improved usability of the news screen buttons
Improved visibility of the text color in section tabs in the titlebar
Darkened screen containers slightly for improved readability
Changed action buttons in titlebar to use inverted colors for better visibility
Fixed attributes being shown on training panel with the "Hidden" attribute display option on
Fixes to some team names not displaying on various news items/screens
Fixed duplicated offering club name in offer sheet news item
Added extra information to tutorial info for screens that require confirmation before continuing
Moved "Roster" action menu with the "ask coach" actions from the subtitle menu to the key actions area in titlebar

Other changes:

Fixes to missing club names/colours in some databases
Added keyboard shortcut (ESC) for preferences in the start screen
Fixed a crash related to staff notes
Fixed a training camp related crash
Fixed a crash with contract offer screen quickflicks and see also menu

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
it should also be noted that all of those changes will work for current save games aside from the database changes. the AI updates and interface stuff will all work as soon as the patch is downloaded and all the scheduling fixes will be implemented during the next upcoming offseason of the current season in your saves

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Amazing, that's basically all of my problems with the game so far fixed.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
this was referred to as "the first biweekly update" so i guess we will be getting similarly sized updates every couple weeks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This was the kind of stuff that FHM rolled out once every 3 months and it didn't address any of the serious problems each time. I am cautiously optimistic this will turn out to be a very good game.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Where do I download the patch?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Where do I download the patch?

it should download automatically unless you have that option disabled on steam for some reason

it will prompt you to update it when you launch the game otherwise.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Oh sweet. So it's just automatically there then because it didn't prompt me?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Oh sweet. So it's just automatically there then because it didn't prompt me?

it should be, yes

you can double check by looking at your recent downloads in steam and seeing if an update was downloaded and applied

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I wonder if this:

Fixed contract extension demand strings on contract offer screen

Means it won't say "x player wants $2 million over two years" but counts the current year as one of the two years (as an example)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

To those wondering it did have a pop up for updating for me. It now says 15.1b at the top of the screen for me too.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ugh, how do i search for front office personnel? i want to hire some dudes but cant find anything but the extremely basic search bar. i remember you used to be able to do pretty detailed ones

edit: oh, scouting -> player/staff search

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 10, 2015

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ThinkTank posted:

e3: Just to load up this post, McCann is going to be lost for nothing because last year he was 'happy with his role in SSM' and refused to sign and now the board thinks rookie max for him is 'unrealistic' despite him winning all the CHL awards possible.

lol in my game mccann is a giant loving waste. he has like 8 points in 40 games and the board won't even let me offer him more than rookie minimum

on the other hand, daniel and henrik sedin are 1st and 3rd in scoring, like real life

this is cool and annoying

edit: for fuckssake, my RFAs keep loving off despite having qualifying offers

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 10, 2015

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

lol in my game mccann is a giant loving waste. he has like 8 points in 40 games and the board won't even let me offer him more than rookie minimum

He ended up going nowhere, but he had 120ish points in his final CHL season and won pretty much every major award and I think that deserves rookie max.

Verviticus posted:

on the other hand, daniel and henrik sedin are 1st and 3rd in scoring, like real life

BTW the Sedins still ask for big raises after their contracts expire despite their physical stats being in the toilet, so I had to let them walk and now they dislike me. The game made me feel bad. :(

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah in the second year they went from first liners to fourth lines and completely smashed my season. again, like in real life, the difference between 7th and dead loving last is two sedins

did you run into the same problem as me where teams think that too many draft picks cause roster problems

ThinkTank posted:

He ended up going nowhere, but he had 120ish points in his final CHL season and won pretty much every major award and I think that deserves rookie max.

do prospects ever go somewhere? it feels like they always just top out at 40 pointers, even in the old EHM, unless you draft the obvious reskins

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah Patrik Elias had one goal and ten points in 62 games and fans were calling for his head which made things stupid.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is there anywhere that shows the tips that are the loading bar thing? The loading bar in most cases goes too fast and those are probably valuable tips...

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Also my team is hemorrhaging money and I don't know why. Basically the board gives me $20M+ a year in cash injections to make it look like I'm succeeding. Is this how it's supposed to work? My player salaries are under $70M with a budget of $82M+

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i think cash injections are part of the budget

i accidentally tanked my budget by re-signing ahl players, forgetting to select 2-way contracts. gently caress

i wish there was a way to click "see player demands under condition of" contracts

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
scoring is definitely down since the patch last week

a lot fewer days with four games finishing with a score of 7-5

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

hey thinktank: is this still useful? http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=6893

also holy poo poo, willie desjardins is a bad coach in this

edit: has anyone found a way to actually trade for picks? i can offer literally three years of all of my picks for like, a 2nd round and teams refuse to do it. is it just not possible without including star players?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 13, 2015

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

myron cope posted:

Also my team is hemorrhaging money and I don't know why. Basically the board gives me $20M+ a year in cash injections to make it look like I'm succeeding. Is this how it's supposed to work? My player salaries are under $70M with a budget of $82M+

so i figured out that there's a bug where season tickets don't go on sale after the first year, meaning you're always going to be cash starved. hopefully that's fixed soon

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
i just started a second season in one save and season tickets have been sold

maybe something else triggers it and not just the season?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

hey thinktank: is this still useful? http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=6893

also holy poo poo, willie desjardins is a bad coach in this

I have never actually followed all that training stuff too closely, I usually let my coaches figure all that stuff out. It's far too micro-managey for me. Just give your team a day or two off a month by going gm options > head coach takes control of practice? no > then team > practice > select all > resting and you're good. Once they've rested for a couple days set it back to head coach takes control of practice.

Also yeah, Desjardins is terrible. I canned his rear end and hired Marc Crawford again and he won the Jack Adams.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

inSTAALed posted:

i just started a second season in one save and season tickets have been sold

maybe something else triggers it and not just the season?

do you have "board arranges pre-season games" selected?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I haven't even installed mine yet cause of Pillars of Eternity how playable is it overall

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I haven't even installed mine yet cause of Pillars of Eternity how playable is it overall

Decent to good. It's entirely playable and I'm already 5 or so seasons in. It has its flaws, but they're pretty few and far between. Future updates aren't supposed to affect save games either, so there's no reason not to start a save game. There aren't really any serious bugs left, and I feel the game is completely playable. It's missing some features that I'd like (a more dynamic/interactive draft and trade deadline, more than one type of draft ranking, better media/player interaction ala FM, etc.) but overall it's as good as EHM 2007 with tons of room for growth. If you were into the last one, I'd recommend picking it up again.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

it would be nice if one day the scouting system had more options than "gonna be a first line player" "gonna be a third line player" "garbage"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

it would be nice if one day the scouting system had more options than "gonna be a first line player" "gonna be a third line player" "garbage"

Yeah, overall scouting needs a serious overhaul. I'm not particularly interested in a scout telling me that he's fast and has a good shot and expects them to put up 90pts in the OHL next year, I can gather all that from looking at stats. I want to see more player comparisons, what skills seem to be improving, what seem to be getting worse and what their major weaknesses are. Recommendations as to what league/role to play someone to maximize their development would be great. I.E. "X Player is unlikely to improve significantly playing an overage season in the OHL, I suggest recommending assigning him to the AHL. It is of note that there are currently three Centres on AHL Team's depth chart that may limit his playing time."

I'd also like more control over the AHL/ECHL teams. Being able to request playing time/player roles for prospects would be great. Plus trying to manage an AHL team's desire to win with developing prospects is one of the more intriguing parts of the NHL minor leagues. A team like the Chicago Wolves or Hershey Bears should go out of its way to sign veterans and limit playing time for rookies.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

he projects to be a 4th line talent

comparison: like sidney crosby, but more talented

he projects to be a first line talent

comparison: like john scott, but with a smaller frame

"he should be able to put up a .975, with a gaa of 1.1"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

he projects to be a 4th line talent

comparison: like sidney crosby, but more talented

he projects to be a first line talent

comparison: like john scott, but with a smaller frame

"he should be able to put up a .975, with a gaa of 1.1"

Approximately 5 of my top 10 plrospects are currently "a less talented version of Ryan Getzlaf."

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
all of my scouts REALLY like to compare players to riley nash of all players

tarasenko is "a faster more talented riley nash"

wtf is that poo poo

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Riley Nash is probably the most generic hockey player on the planet, so technically everyone in the NHL is either a lesser or greater version than him. He is the NHL average.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
i just had a player miss 10 days because of a snake bite he received "in practice"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Sami? Is that you?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
i just fired my head coach for utilizing venomous snakes in practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Are you sure it wasn't a skate bite?

However, I think releasing cobras onto the ice surface would be a good motivating tactic for some more undisciplined players. Kessel, I'm looking at you.

• Locked thread