Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I myself would like there to be one for Sleeping Dogs, with a guide to Hong Kong and a recipe for pork buns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Manuals are dead op.pdf

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Don't forget airplane and vehicle specs.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

character profiles with blood types

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Short stories. Lets give devs a chance to show their writing chops again.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Volo and Elminster should annotate every manual

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
I would rather have a well-supported online community that creates their own content OP.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

what modern game do you think would benefit from a full on big instruction book? not putting anyone on the spot here, just curious.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

zen death robot posted:

The OP gave an example, would you like this to become a list thread or something? :whitewater:

hm, well okay we don't want that.

op, i disagree. the costs outweigh the benefits. while i enjoy a big manual like many gamers, i recognize we constitute a minority of manual likers, and ultimately developers gain nothing from making large manuals with lots of art and backstory. especially when they can sell all that in a collector's edition and people will buy it.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

but i agree it would be cool to have maybe a .pdf of game-themed recipes

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Thems was the days...

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

*burp*

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
The best manual.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I want manuals so loving thick that the staples can barely keep the thing together.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
SimCity on SNES had the best manual. Pretty huge for a console game, and mostly part strategy guide and primer on various philosophies of urban planning.

The original WarioWare manual had stickers.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I like the ones that are wire bound.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really enjoyed the StarCraft manual and the WarCraft 3 manual. I remember being insanely pissed when I opened my copy of HL2 in that big DVD case and it was just a sheet with a CD key and some generic key shortcuts.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Larry Parrish posted:

I really enjoyed the StarCraft manual and the WarCraft 3 manual. I remember being insanely pissed when I opened my copy of HL2 in that big DVD case and it was just a sheet with a CD key and some generic key shortcuts.

I remember being really hyped about Metzen's badass art.

khrits
Dec 25, 2011

And when we leave, we need to put things back the way we found them. We're not slobs.
i remember my ring-bound neverwinter manual, wonder what happened to it

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

khrits posted:

i remember my ring-bound neverwinter manual, wonder what happened to it

Which one, the NWN1 manual was just a booklet (though a fairly substantial one).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

digital Manuals have the potential to be interesting bc they could be like animated and interactive but they're usually just fake scans of what a regular manual would look like.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

digital Manuals have the potential to be interesting bc they could be like animated and interactive but they're usually just fake scans of what a regular manual would look like.

undertale is just a demo right now but it does some fun things with its manual by reading the save file

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Tayce T. and Zess T. Present: Fixins for Fun Guys

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Oh, waiat this thread just turned into another bitching about manuals thing, nevermind

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
The original Monster Hunter came with the best BBQ sauce recipe. I really miss those days.

Soral
May 30, 2009

the manual for the original sims had a "further reading" appendix at the back

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
The spiral bound manual for the first Fallout was the poo poo.

I also miss when every RPG came with a map, would look at it while the game was installing and see all the cool towns and locations I would soon be exploring.

Though the one upside to the fact that the manual is now a .pdf that nobody ever looks like, they're starting to get some personality again. For a while they were clearly written by committee to be as bland and inoffensive as possible, a few newer ones have more of a "they shoved the intern in the closet and made him write this, this is a product of his angst" feel about them, which is cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The bloodborne manual is funny because it describes maybe one half of the mechanics in the game and says "Have fun with the monsters !" or something like that

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I will have fun with the monsters, thank you manual

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Looper posted:

Tayce T. and Zess T. Present: Fixins for Fun Guys

I'd read it.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Do you remember when you had to look up stuff in the lore sections of manuals for copy protection? That was amazing, and it didn't even have to install rootkits on your computer.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Kylra posted:

Do you remember when you had to look up stuff in the lore sections of manuals for copy protection? That was amazing, and it didn't even have to install rootkits on your computer.

just like having to look at the back of the mgs case to get the correct codec frequency

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Wow, such immersion!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kylra posted:

Wow, such immersion!
*immerses your head in water til you die*

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I know that the thing I want to do most while playing a video game is to stop playing it to fiddle around with some paper or a box, and hope I haven't lost it yet. Like that time I couldn't play Ultima VII Part 2: Serpent Isle for a couple weeks.

Best gaming time of my life. Thank you printed manuals.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kylra posted:

I know that the thing I want to do most while playing a video game is to stop playing it to fiddle around with some paper or a box, and hope I haven't lost it yet. Like that time I couldn't play Ultima VII Part 2: Serpent Isle for a couple weeks.

Best gaming time of my life. Thank you printed manuals.

Read this post in Peter Griffin's voice.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Ok FAU. Where's your water bucket. I'll catch the first flight over. I'm ready.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
the kilrathi saga manual was extremely cool:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Still have my space quest 4 manual it is the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
It was cool when the whole game's story would be written in the manual but all out of order so you couldn't just read it like a novel.

• Locked thread