Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

this game features one of the stupidest plot points ever

i'm looking forward to it

Just one?

I'm disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Samovar posted:

Ooh, ooh, ooh!

Recruit the Sherman-equivalent character ASAP!

The first game didn't even let you go 10 percent Aldo Raine. I have my doubts you'll be allowed a full on March to the Sea.

...But it would be pretty great if it did.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

ahahahaha

One of our main characters is a loving engineer. We're off to a great start :allears:

That's good, right?

It means she can solve problems. Practical problems.

I'm pretty sure "More gun" is a good way to deal with the problem "The squad leader is stupid even by anime protagonist standards", right?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Sniper and Tank?

Or Lancer?

No.

This game adds some new classes.

They are... fairly anime. I'll leave it at that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, right now I hate Zeri least. By a lot.

He seems to be taking this seriously, he has the brains God gave geese, and when we get the cliched class president rear end in a top hat his response matches the audience.

Can we just off Avan and Cosette right now and leave him to find someone more capable for the other protagonist spots?

Like maybe a rock with googly eyes glued to it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, the regular army in Valkyria Chronicles 1 existed solely to be a comically and borderline evilly inept caricature of WWI generals failing to grasp basic tactics and obvious traps and being blithely unconcerned with the well-being of their own men while making GBS threads all over the protagonists despite their obvious success and also the fact that they own a super-tank.

I thought they existed to make the 40K Imperial Guard high command look good.

Edit: And, since we're a group of ill trained conscripts expected to achieve the impossible, I say we go with something morale raising.

The Suicide Squad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

-Troika- posted:

It's possible to beat this game with literally nothing but Stormtroopers and Armored Techs (and variants thereof). :negative:

To be fair, you could beat X-Com: Enemy Unknown with nothing but assaults and assaults in training. It being possible to run a game with only one class is fine. Heck, it can even be fun.

Never having a reason to regret only going with one class, well, that's a problem.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

My next update includes karate chopping an ice cube and being super impressed by it, so I think you guys are overthinking this

At this point, thinking at all is overthinking this.

Valykria Chronicles 2, I have an offer. Why don't we replace Lotte with Lotte from Bad Machinery?

She's just as inappropriate in a battlefield situation and it would make no sense, so you'd be satisfied. Meanwhile, the viewers would have a character other than Zeri with two brain cells to rub together. We'd all win.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

The Empire isn't involved at all, the Federation is backing the rebels. Risking a war by giving potential future enemies advanced technology seems dumb, especially with factors like Helmut who's enough to keep a peace treaty intact.

Then again, "dumb" is a bit too lenient for VC2 at times.

edit: Someone request art or something, I need a new page for this update.

The Federation kidnapped a friendly head of state just after talks concluded to get them what they wanted. Again, while embroiled in war, after a previous neutral party had gotten into bed with them on the whole "KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THE DIRTY IMPS!" platform, they kidnapped Cordelia.

And before you think of it, no. They were not going for a basic false flag to really energize Gallia into DOUBLE hating the Empire.

They are just that loving stupid.

What I'm saying is, they fit right in.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I am seriously starting to dislike Zeri. He's not nearly as cool or witty as the game thinks he is and he seems to always be starting poo poo in these character skits.
I mean okay, this time it's in character. He's a Darcsen and he's obviously nursing a grudge against Imperials. But how many times has he insulted or got into verbal slap fights with other characters over petty poo poo?

To be fair, if you had to live with the cast of the game 24/7, you'd hate everyone too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

The Diebal Mountains-Encyclopedia

A mountain range near the border in southern Gallia. Its mountaintops are covered with snow throughout the year. There were once ragnite mines here, and many Darcsen mine workers settled in the area. The mines are abandoned, but the Darcsens remain.

Darcsens frequently revolted due to the conditions they had to work under, and this led to raised awareness for human rights issues. The area holds special meaning for the Darcsens, which is why the rebels have targeted it so aggressively.

And now they are mostly dead. :smith:

Hey, there's no need to be that glum.

There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Pretty sure Jane just Liked Murder in general.

She liked murderin' Imps even more than just general murder,, but she's a fan of both.

Good old Jane. She had the right idea.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I admit I'm actually morbidly curious about what the gently caress is up with the butler.

Well, he got in a car accident, and he didn't have any insurance, so...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thundersword238 posted:

So now that her missions are done, I want to talk about Alexis. Alexis is my favorite character in the game, and honestly one of my favorite female characters in video games/anime period. And part of that reason is that unlike tons of other characters like her, who's story revolve around "was raised as a boy but secretly wants to be a girly girl," Alexis is totally alright with being a super manly lady. And that's pretty cool.

I honestly can't name a ton of female characters who are androgynous or masculine for their own sake. Alexis' problems don't stem from wanting to be a girl, but from other people's perceptions of her being a girl, and honestly, I can really, REALLY relate to that. I've never been traditionally masculine, and in particular it made most of middle school a living hell for me. So I've always liked characters who subvert traditional gender roles, but I find in a lot of media, especially anime, they have to secretly want to be how society tells tells them they should be. So when Alexis' story ended with "I am happy the way I am" it made me really happy.

Also she tanked a fully charged energy cannon from a V2, at point blank range, and walked it off with 2/3rds of her health. Which pretty much cemented her as my favorite character in this game, and honestly, the series.

One more thing I noticed while reading through her update: Avan of all people, is the only main character I can think of who doesn't ask the super tomboy to be more girly. Think about that for a second. Avan is the one character in anime who is totally ok with a girl acting like a man. AVAN. I mean seriously, that's rare, even for shoujo anime.

Robin and Chrom in Fire Emblem Awakening are pretty cool with Sully being much more about punching and stabbing than cooking and cleaning. Chrom outright says that it just means they'll have more in common than most couples.

Sully does have self-doubt bits in several supports, but the conclusion is always "Sully, keep on keeping on. You're fine the way you are."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I was just thinking of all my Crusader Kings II games and I thought to myself, "You know, it would be great if I could send off a crappy heir to a country in the middle of civil war in order to off him." Thinking of creative ways to kill/disinherit unsatisfactory children is a fairly large part of that game.

edit: it is a very ruthless game

So, is that why you had the prince set up a plan to murder his bride on the wedding night?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

xelada posted:

I think it is more that caring about people means she risks herself to save people who aren't of equivalent value, a Valkyrur can destroy a small arm with little difficulty, she is likely to be more valuable than a large portion of the military, additionally the only thing a Valkyrur needs to worry about are other Valkyrurs, so a conventional army would be useless in the only case where Alliase's victory isn't guaranteed. She needs to be able to do what is needed to win the war, if it means letting her support team be slaughtered then so be it.
As noble as dying to save others is all it will result in is you being dead and the enemy being closer to winning.

But she's not advocating a priority based approach. She's not saying to kill one to save a thousand, or to let some die so the rest can live. She's actively advocating not giving a gently caress about your own losses, which is remarkably stupid on any number of levels.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Drakenel posted:

Pedaling back a bit to melissa... gently caress you, VC2 artist. Wendy was cool back in the first game. She was a broken woman whose only solace was her amusement at killing. She went well with "BLEED FOR ME YOU FLOWER STAND DESTROYING FUCKS" Jane.

...I may also be reading too much of the Drakengard! LPs.

I'd say Wendy was more obsessed with explosives than murders. Like, killing people was fun for her, but she was really more about the method than the results.

More like Marion than like Jane. Jane's got her head in the game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Magni posted:

Wendy's post-game epilogue blurb in VC1 if she survives the game is that she takes her hobby to the next level and gets a job at the gallian national arsenal developing new explosives. She's living the dream. :allears:

If they just bothered to deploy her weapons, the war would be over by now.

Of course, it may be over due to Gallia vanishing in a massive inferno, but, eh. Details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I recognize this stupid psychic plot from, rough estimate, a billion issues of Sgt. Rock. Only there, the predictions were on point repeatedly for someone dying or being seriously injured, everybody but Rock started believing in it, and Rock talked about how they were soldiers in the US Army, and they took orders from the chain of command, not tea leaves. Then, inevitably, the predictions came to say that if Rock went on a mission, he'd die.

Rock said it was bull, went on the mission, nearly got crossed out, and then bulled through on sheer force of will, making the would-be psychic abandon their predictions and rely on good old guts instead of whatever they were using.

Only they didn't even get the ending right, and no-one in this is fit to clean Rock's stubble.

• Locked thread