Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Bard and ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

From what can be gathered, officer stuff is part of the normal University courses. I actually mentioned that regarding Welkin :v:. The actual Military is anyone voluntarily joining, they just already have the basic training. The Militia was anyone drafted or who volunteered to join the war effort, and it was actually one of the few times it made sense as to why you got teenagers in your anime warzone.

Welk's still just an officer in the militia, and the regular army spends the entire game looking down on him. He was mostly just handed the rank because no one else was available for it. It's not a prestigious position. This school is for elite future officers in the real army.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I thought they existed to make the 40K Imperial Guard high command look good.

Edit: And, since we're a group of ill trained conscripts expected to achieve the impossible, I say we go with something morale raising.

The Suicide Squad.

There's no death in this game. You can send everyone straight into a wall of bullets and they'll just end up in the hospital for a couple of days. Their biggest fear is being bullied by the preppies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It probably doesn't need to be noted, but these are only the basic, starter classes. Snipers still exist. And are probably better because of the smaller maps and instant deploying.

Tae posted:

The downside is that Lancers are horrible for anything else, as their aim makes Shocktroopers look like snipers and do meh damage against soldiers.

Unless I'm misremembering, Lancers can actually one-shot most soldiers if they get a head shot (which means they do effectively the same damage as a sniper). They just have really bad aim so it's hard to get head-shots even at short range.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

The range that a Lancers has to be to reliably headshot a soldier is basically a range even an Engineer can kill, or an Armored Tech can reach. Another advantage I didn't mention for Armored Tech is that their swing covers a 180 arc, so you can hit multiple bunched up units together if the situation arises. Also, their melee destroys sandbags so you can save up your grenades later that turn.

Yeah, but armor techs can't kill soldier in one turn no matter what they do, so that's sort of an advantage for lancers, technically. If you just happen to have a lancer there already or whatever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

"I'm a weapon, no, a shield!"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

So they took everything that made Engineers vaguely useful and gave it to a blast-proof melee weapon class and then gave Engineers worse guns.

Bullet-proof, not blast-proof. They are immune to bullets.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

The Militia can only be summoned against invasion. This is internal. That leaves you cadets. The creme de la cremeeof Gallia's youth.

OKAY. So I get why the military would be unable to fight off another war. But then he just goes "No, they wouldn't fight anyway because it's an internal affair." So either we have the most badass single Academy (that's one, one academy in the entire country) that is staving off an entire southern half of the country of Rebel faction. OR, the rebels are really just shits pretending to be revolutionary.

Except we will soon see the Rebels are far more equipped and advanced than the Empire did back in VC1, so....?????

He says the Militia wouldn't fight anyway. The Militia is entirely separate from the Army. It's implied that the ragged remnants of the Army is trying to stop the Rebellion but need all the help they can get.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I always used Engineers to capture unguarded bases, because why not? They never ended up useful though, even when promoted.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wekin's not army, and the Militia is only mobilized for external invasions. Welkin's never wanted to be Army, so why is it surprising that the dorky nature-loving guy gets a dorky nature-loving job?

I mean, there's definitely a bizarre sense of non-urgency given the apparently ongoing genocide, but no matter how helpful they were in the previous war those two are just normal civilians now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Most people who fought in wars didn't want to be there. They fought out of a sense of obligation or got drafted and had no say in the first place.

Ergo, he feels no obligation and can't be drafted because of whatever legal issue prevents the Militia from being used in civil wars.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Watch as it suddenly turns out to be some Railgun thing, where they're not the worst, they just have latent powers that are not prevalent (because the protagonist is there see)

Yes, the Power of Friendship. I mean, obviously.

Ragtag band of underdogs comes together through the motivational speeches of the idiot (while Zeri helps them actually win). Also, the idea is less that they suck at shooting stuff and more that they all have bad personalities.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 8, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

David Corbett posted:

He broke a foot of ice with his bare hands? Really? As a general rule, a foot of clear ice is good to hold something like eight tonnes.

You need to brush up on your anime tropes. Alexis talked about being a master fencer, therefore he's a martial artist of some kind, and therefore he can do silly things like break the ice by striking its pressure point or whatever. It doesn't necessarily imply that he can exert more than eight tons of force, just that he's implausibly skilled in a vaguely mystical martial arts sense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Don't they have to actually do something? Kill a solider, capture a base, etc? I remember it being something like that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

By far the worst thing about A ranking kill-all missions is that it always involves hunting the last pixels of grass to reveal the enemy. Then spending that turn throwing a grenade to pop them out and then hoping they don't doge your attack. Just the worst.

I noticed that you have a shocktrooper hunting in the grass. Scouts are pretty good at it though, because they can see into grass from a distance. So they're actually good at scouting, amazing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You shoot them with lancers? I always went for headshots from behind with either snipers or shocktroopers. It's easy enough to get them to face the way you need them to with armor techs, although it uses a lot of CP to switch back and forth.

Personally, I felt that this is the moment when the game got fun. I love going up against unfair odds.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 15, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Omobono posted:

Nah, he'd be Valkyring without the need of Maxie's cheap knock-off armor if that were the case.

Still, I don't get why Baldren didn't report on a Valkyrie appearing. Lanseal/Cordelia having an actual Valkyrie on active duty is not something that you want to hide, doubly so if it's the second magic princess nuke they have. They know it's the second because they know everything else, so they probably know about Alicia and if they don't have a couple spies tracking her movements they're bloody idiots.

The plot of this game has totally slipped from my mind by this point because it was so unmemorable, but wouldn't betrayal be a reasonable option? We've already seen that he doesn't like how his father plans to handle politics, so maybe he's planning on getting him killed by accident so he can take over and do the revolution properly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I've just never understood how it became a fetish in the first place. I can see hoe someone would be attracted to the idea of forbidden love but why not choose one of the countless examples that doesn't result in horrible inbred children? Of course trying to understand this stuff in the first place is a fool's errand.

The best explanation I've heard is that it's about people thinking they're Nice Guys who are unfairly not given a chance by strangers. "If they really got to know me, they'd know how nice I was!" Therefore, someone who's forced to grow up in the same house as you will by definition fall in love with you at no risk. Throw in the low birth rate in Japan, and therefore these people not actually having sisters, and it's a perfect storm of narcissistic misogyny.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Intermarriage between cousins is still allowed in most of the world. Things haven't really changed all that much.

Also Japan.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For the record, mauls are anti-armor weapons, so Baldren can just walk up and one-shot your APC if you're not careful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Avan is dumb, but charismatic and willing to push others to their potentials in his own way. As much as Zeri has better motivations than "I'm going to be as good as my brother," he wouldn't have the ability to change over 20 rejects into elite soldiers. After all, the only reason why they're getting missions at all is because Avan took charge and became the leader.

It's just a minor rewrite. Zeri has all the same motivations he has now, gets unfairly thrown into Class G because of his race, and works his rear end off to whip them into shape.

...which is pretty much the exact same premise as VC3.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Presumably they just "retreat" though, and it doesn't affect the plot.

I think asking for entirely 2 dimensional characters might be a bit much though, considering that this game (and the series) pretty much has dozens and dozens of semi-generics. Keeping them easily identifiable as "the shy girl", "the punk" or "the caveman" is actually sort of helpful because otherwise they'd be completely unmemorable. Only the three main characters really need to be developed beyond a gimmick. And, well, they should've been.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

VC1 was not popular at all in Japan. The anime was where the money came from, and influenced the demographic of VC2. But then VC2 sold like poo poo as well and the developers realized the Japanese never liked the games anyway, so they went back to actual war stuff instead of high school in 3.

To be fair, VC3 is still ridiculously anime. In some ways moreso (thinking of the character-specific super moves).

It just doesn't have the grinding.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, the game tells a little character arc through the potentials of the main characters. The generics just get the one mission though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

paragon1 posted:

But Zeri is already a character? :v:

She's female Zeri.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

theshim posted:

Actually, flamethrowers - regardless of attack value - will always oneshot bunkers, turrets, and towers. :eng101:

Presumably the fire goes inside and burns the people operating it. That's how I've always imagined it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Drachir D Nalem posted:

I might be dumb to be irked by it, but why do the women's winter uniforms keep their legs bare? Just covering their arms won't help much in keeping the warmth.

In Japan, fashion is a life or death matter. I reading reading a news story about how one school actually banned pants in the winter, despite complaints.

I mean, in real life.

Anyway, Anisette's character doesn't make much sense until you realize that Edy turned out to be the most popular character from VC1, an ensemble darkhouse. So all subsequent releases in the series (the anime, this game, etc) made Edy much more prominent. She's sort of retroactively a main character.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I forgot who Coleen is. What was her gimmick again?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You wrote "Spicy" in the opening post, but that doesn't ring any bells at all. How can we call their character introduction skits a success if we don't even know what her gimmick is yet?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Alright, the desert maps are the biggest curveballs yet. Character units effectively have less AP because they're too hot under the sun, so Fencers go from kinda moving to basically stationary. The APC becomes more important than ever because they're not affected by the weather.

Isn't there a tank attachment you can get that nullifies the penalties of weather for everyone else in the zone? I think it was sprinklers for heat, a lamp for night, etc. Basically you can totally ignore this stuff if you want to.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Now that you mention it, g's and s's do have the exact same silhouette in this font.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

How are you playing such that you're running out of ammo?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lotish posted:

Having not played this game or any of the others in the franchise, I do not understand the CP economy and so whether you beat a turn limit or not just seems to be arbitrary magic.

The point is that you're supposed to be spending a lot of time fighting your way through with an entirely separate force on another map to ultimately hit a switch and open a door, but instead he just made Avan an armor tech, buffed his defense, and walked straight past a tank to get to the goal.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

I never actually beat VC2. Past May, I've basically been playing blind story-wise.

Huh, so you don't even know that word is secretly longer word? How will you be able to judge exactly how cliche the plot is?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be fair, they live in a world where all wounds can be magically healed instantly by holding up a radioactive rock.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Militia is not the Army, and people conflating them bugs me since the game's plot often relies on the difference, but I don't think the Army cares either.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's not like everyone in WW2-era Europe or the USA loved jewish people. That wasn't the main reason the war was fought: most people just didn't want to get conquered by Germany. Gallia has some tolerant people and some horrible bigots who thought maybe Hitler wasn't entirely wrong, just like a bunch of people in real life.

In terms of the US Civil war analogy, lynchings happened in the North as well. It's never been a pure matter of racists versus non-racists.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hopeford posted:

EDIT: By the way, kind of an aside but is there a reason why the super-nationalistic rebels dress up in Imperial colors?

Good guys are blue, bad guys are red. This is an inviolable law of strategy games.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

VC3 has a beach scene where you have to choose which girl to date. I don't know why that game gets a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

cdyoung posted:

Really? I thought they swapped their breast sizes because the position of Love Intrest was changed from Cosette to Julianna and they argued that the love interest was the one who needed the killer figure.

No, Cosette still the Love Interest. Even if you're misremembering, why would you even think that Juliana is the Love Interest?

Although there was mention of how they decided to turn Zeri's rivalry with male-Juliana into a flirty rivalry thing because why not.

• Locked thread