Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Just keep posting ones that are particularly good or particularly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly I care about the skits a lot more than the non-story battles, but if you want to cut boring ones to keep yourself sane that's fine.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I think skits that don't show anything new about the characters can be skipped.

*Avan is asleep/eating something
<CharA> I certainly am a [trait].
<CharB> That <CharA> what a [trait].
*Avan says something ignorant.

can be skipped, but

<CharA> I'm a [trait] because [event] happened.

might have some worth.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Tae posted:

Need a new page for this update, so here's a question for format: Do you care about skits? Most skits outside of a few are very short and just a repeat of a character's quirk at times. Do they somehow make you remember characters's names better?
Normal updates contain enough anime to ache.

Skits can go get hosed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Vario Quest 2

Isn't it obvious? I'm getting out of this dump! Give me a hand, would you?
Of course not! Where are you planning to go, anyway?! You know what'll happen if you get caught AWOL. Now get down here!
Let me go! Touch me now, and you're likely to get burned, baby!

*After Avan dragged Vario off the wall*

Yeah! She's the core of my whole musical world, cat! She's a legend! Even you've gotta know about Brigitte Stark. They call her Rosie? You can hear that name and her voice echoing across the continent.
She's GalIia's angel of peace! Aw, Rosie. I love you, baby! I love yooou!

Rosie, what did you spawn

Would you calm down?
It's her big homecoming concert tonight, and I'll die if I miss it, Avon!
You'll wish you WERE dead if they catch you sneaking out!
I'll take any torture they can think up if it means hearing her live! If it weren't for her, I'd never have started singing! She's my muse!
...Fine. But I'm coming with you to keep an eye on you. And, hey, I guess I get a concert out of the deal, too.
Avaaaaaan! I knew you were a hep cat, baby! All right, let's jet!

AWOL, really?

*The two reach to the concert*

I only started to sing seriously because of a friend of mine. She's the one who helped me see the meaning in singing for people.
What meaning? What's that mean, I wonder?
That's when I really put my heart into my music, to share it with the world. I stopped singing for me, or for someone I knew, and instead sang for everyone. Because that's how I can make her dream a reality.
I've never once thought about singing like that before. For everyone...
Vario?
This one's got a lot of memories for me. It's her song: A Love Passed On.

*after the concert*

She sang for all of us up there tonight, not just for herself. And I could feel that. It set me on fire, man. And this whole time, I've been singing to myself. What an idiot. I ran around calling myself a musician, but I was just a stupid kid.
Don't be too down on yourself.
Now, it's fine. I just... I've got a lot to think about now is all.

This is a very oddly-paced quest. I feel like he should've saved some of that emotional change on the final quest instead of here.

Time for some good ole fashioned murder. It's back to the misty forest.

Cosette killing an enemy ace, barely.

2 more key missions to go for the month.

Aircraft Technology Lagging-Newspaper

2 years have passed since war between the Empire and the Federation began. Both have now developed aircraft for front line use, but sadly Gallia is behind the curve. Although we have skilled engineers, reduced wartime parts production is not meeting demand.

The army is working on airships that can be made more easily, but they are not yet ready for deployment in battle. Airships have also been sighted in areas of southern Gallia under rebel control, so it is likely they have airships of their own.

We're really hosed if the Rebels do have flight technology. And even then, Gallia is hosed in general in the next Federation/Empire war with nothing but bombers passing by the country each time.

Militia Inspectors Visit-Lotte Insider

Several inspectors from the militia visited Lanseal on the 11th to view the new drill grounds and see our training methods first hand, hoping to reinforce cooperation between the army and the militia. Corporal Homer Peron stated of his visit:

"I was impressed... I'd like to adopt some of this in the militia. The climbing walls looked hopelessly high... And the drill instructor set a gruelling pace..." An angelic smile never left his face as he spoke. Homer, you're quite shy for such a good-looking guy.

Homer's a former Squad 7 member, specifically part of Edy's crew. He's quite a masochist, so I think he was smiling because of the pain he imagined was happening during training.

Yup! Us G-Machines are gonna take first place!
G-Machines? What's that all about?
What, did you forget? That's our team name.
That's news to me! Who came up with that snorefest of a name?
It needs some fire! I say we so with Vario and the Varionettes!
That lacks class. We ought to be the Knights of the Round Object.
Hey, whoa! The matter's been settled. There's no room for discussion here.

Huh? Jarde?! And his...
Happy Time?
Friends?
Yes, that's what the registration form said.

That was Raymond's job!
Oh, Raymond...

Chloe Quest 2

Guh! Chloe... Mm? What's with the face? You look frustrated.
Forgive me for not being thrilled to see you. If you've no business, leave.
If I didn't, I wouldn't be here! The prof asked me to drop some stuff off. What's your excuse for being in here all the time but not painting anything? Your canvas is still as blank as the last time I laid eyes on it.
I didn't ask for your input! Learn to mind your own business, would you?
Is it that you're having trouble thinking about what you want to paint?
I'm not... Look, it has nothing to do with you!
So that's a yes, then. All right! Let's find you a new subject then!

*Avan drags Chloe outside*

Wha--? I never said... L-Let go! Let go of me, you maniac!

If that doesn't inspire you, nothing will. Now, up you so!
Oh, of all the... No!
Oh, come on! You'll love it. I promise. Now, here we so!
Would you LET G0?! I... I'm not good with heights!
Ha ha! Aww, That's kind of cute. I wouldn't have figured. Okay, next spot!

...Cute?

*In their class*

If you look at Zeri, and I mean real hard, like, squinting, he's handsome. And he never changes his expression from grumpy. He'd be a perfect model!
Model? You want me to model for her?
...Weeell, I suppose I could be persuaded, if you really insisted.
He's nothing like what I'd want to paint. Out of the question.
Zeri's no good, huh? Yeah, I don't blame you. All right, next idea...

*The two leave Zeri*

*In the cafeteria*

If you pointed a stew series, you'd have folks drooling. I guarantee it!
...I'm going home.

*Back in class*

Of course not! This parade of insane ideas has only inspired a huge headache!
Never did I dream there were people with tastes as out of whack as yours!
So... you're saying I'm one of a kind? Is that a good thing?
Let me think. NO. But... I suppose this was at least a distraction. One I never asked for, but I'll thank you just the same. Now, I have to go. *leaves*

I found that funny. I wish more were funny like this instead of really annoying like Lotte or Anisette.

Sigrid Quest 1

That Sigrid Eissel kid was one of them! He's a traitor, man!
Maybe he was then, but now he's a Lanseal cadet. He says he's committed to helping us fight them. And who am I to argue?
Oh, and we're supposed to just believe him? He just turns over a new leaf?
He has a point. He may have hurt friends of ours in past battles, or worse.
He betrayed a promise to Reiner, too, didn't he? Trusting him now is tough.
Aw, give the guy a chance! He's one of us now, guys! He's a part of Class G.

*Reiner and Avan go to the roof*

He says he's too ashamed to set foot in there. He's here between classes.
I can't blame any of them for thinking ill of me. I'm a former rebel. I betrayed my friends and my country for months. Asking for their trust, to say nothing of their forgiveness is, well...
Well let me hear your side of the story here. Why'd you join the rebels?
One of their commanders came to the village and started giving speeches. He laid out a case for it being the Archduchess's fault Gallia is at war. That our nation was built on an unstable foundation of lies and usurpation. He said that by enlisting, we'd be building Gallia anew with our own hands.
And that sold you?

That would mean protecting the people I love.
...I really believed that.
And so you enlisted.
I did. Only to find that the truth of the rebellion was far from that ideal. They'd parade out that lofty banner, then perform atrocities under it. I wanted to believe, but the doubt started gnawing away at me.
That was when Reiner showed up. I finally saw the truth. The movement I'd believed would win back peace was peace's biggest threat.
So you left them.

That's why I applied here, and fought my way in. Even knowing that everyone here would think me a shameless traitor.
It doesn't matter. I'll take any abuse, as long as I can keep fighting. That's the only way I can think to atone.
It sounds pretty solid to me.

Meet Class G: Sigrid Eissel

Personal Potentials
Dare Devil - Raw instincts awaken when surrounded, raising attack power against armored targets and firing accuracy.
Tech Killer - Confidence that they can best any armored tech raises the chance of inflicting status ailments when attacking.
Darcsen Hater - Become uncomfortable when a Darcsen is nearby, lowering defense.

Sigrid is a racist, and otherwise a weird unit because he wants to attack...armored targets a lot? Probably an Anti-Tank sniper of some sort...but his power only works when surrounded. I'm not sure.

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 25, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Another Erik should be a pic of Erik error.

Also jesus, musicians inspiring the troops is a real thing but it's super lazy how every single loving person of any note is from the first game. LIke, do they have no idea how small and lame that makes their game world look like?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there have been four characters from the last game and one is Literally the Queen. the other three are Welkin and Alicia who are if anything less important in the setting than they should be, and rosie, who has shown up in one character skit as a famous singer, after she was said to have become a famous singer in the first game. as a collective whole, the only one who has anything approaching an important role in the story is again, the queen.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

there have been four characters from the last game and one is Literally the Queen. the other three are Welkin and Alicia who are if anything less important in the setting than they should be, and rosie, who has shown up in one character skit as a famous singer, after she was said to have become a famous singer in the first game. as a collective whole, the only one who has anything approaching an important role in the story is again, the queen.
You're forgetting someone, daaaaarling.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Not to mention at least half a dozen Squad 7 members like Jane, Homer, and Evelyn were mentioned across lore and conversations. Granted, Gallia is a small country but Welkin/Alicia is really dumb if they're not going to do anything with them.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
I guess we'll have to wait for the dramatic, last minute reveal of their capabilities, or something.

:anime:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Something's been bothering me this whole time: in the original game, racism in Gallia was definitely a thing, but it never got past some petty bickering even on the militia level, where actually-expressed racism would be a lot more expected due to the lesser discipline/professionalism of the soldiers. The Empire did the actual killings, but that wasn't even limited to the Darcsens, and the Darcsen's who *were* captured ended up in prison camps, not shot en masse.

Here though, we have people literally gunning down civilians in numerous areas, with practically NO mention of it at all by the country at large. To put things in prospective, Nazi Germany had to build death camps in the first place exactly *because* people, on a personal level, either avoided shooting people they were supposed to when the officers weren't looking, or became gibbering, psychotic wrecks (yes, even the SS). The killings *had* to be depersonalized for them to continue perpetually, and even then they were kept as out of the public eye as possible.

The killings in Cambodia (probably the worst case possible) were fairly similar: most prisoners were starved to death or died of disease, not shot. Even the soldiers who actually performed mass killings personally did so out of a very real fear that they themselves would be killed, as even slight military code infractions could result in the death penalty.

The idea of the rebels continually killing the Darcsens by gunning them all down for no practical reason (like looting) is absurd; the idea that people both inside AND outside of Gallia wouldn't be horrified as soon as they saw the pictures even more so.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Cake Attack posted:

how the gently caress did you forget Rodriguez

and I wont accept the answer that he was basically a noncharacter in the last game because it's better than this game's characters

booksnake fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 25, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

thetruegentleman posted:

The idea of the rebels continually killing the Darcsens by gunning them all down for no practical reason (like looting) is absurd; the idea that people both inside AND outside of Gallia wouldn't be horrified as soon as they saw the pictures even more so.
What the Rebels say they're doing and what they're actually doing are two different things and the game even addresses this with Sigrid. I'm pretty sure those who actually hate the Darcsens enough to actually shoot them en masse are the Gassenarls and they're just taking advantage of the poor state Gallia is in to incite the rebellion in the first place.

As for the actual soldiers and such they fall under 'they were ordered to.' Plus they haven't been given time to adjust to Darcsens not being second-class citizens in order to respect them as people. For those outside of Gallia it's not happening to them (and in some cases other worse things are) so they don't feel any need to get involved. See America before it got involved in WWII.

The only reason the Game makes it seem so absurd is that it's being juxtaposed with Anime School Tournament.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tae posted:

How can you justify NOT subsidizing the northern Gallian dairy industry?!
Without full transparency, subsidy will only foster corruption! You can't--

Theres some innuendo in there somewhere with Juliana, Zeri, the dairy industry and it's lack of transparency.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

EponymousMrYar posted:

What the Rebels say they're doing and what they're actually doing are two different things and the game even addresses this with Sigrid. I'm pretty sure those who actually hate the Darcsens enough to actually shoot them en masse are the Gassenarls and they're just taking advantage of the poor state Gallia is in to incite the rebellion in the first place.

As for the actual soldiers and such they fall under 'they were ordered to.' Plus they haven't been given time to adjust to Darcsens not being second-class citizens in order to respect them as people. For those outside of Gallia it's not happening to them (and in some cases other worse things are) so they don't feel any need to get involved. See America before it got involved in WWII.

The only reason the Game makes it seem so absurd is that it's being juxtaposed with Anime School Tournament.

What the rebels say they are protecting Gallia from IS the Darcsens; their willingness to destroy everything else to do that is what makes them seem like hypocrites. Also, ordering soldiers to gun people doesn't work on a consistent basis: for example, while the Nazi police battalions (the people tasked with the killings) had initial "success" in rounding up/killing minorities, so many of them deliberately missed, or turned a blind eye to escapees, or found an excuse to avoid their 'duty' that thousands of Jews managed to escape them. Not to say there weren't a fair share of psychos who volunteered for the later hunts, but most soldiers tried to avoid them as best they could. It even went the other way as well: there were cases of both enlisted men *and* officers walking away from shootings they were ordered to commit (generally because they knew the victims, either personally or because they shared a dialect), and suffering nothing from their insubordination.

Even those willing to perform the executions had their problems: one officer was crippled by stomach craps every time a hunt was scheduled, eventually costing him his position and getting him sent to the front lines due to 'cowardice'. When he got there? He earned the Iron Cross and managed to work his way up the chain of command, even surviving the war (IE, not a coward in the least). Not to say he wasn't ashamed of being unable to order the deaths of innocent people personally (he was), but it helps illustrate the problems the soldiers faced, many of whom turned to alcohol in order to cope.

That's the reason for the dehumanization the Jews were forced to go through before their deaths, and why the killing process ultimately had to be dehumanized: broken down into separate steps, with different soldiers at each one performing the same action repeatedly. While psychos could be relied on to hunt down small groups, killing a whole town required a methodical process; and we saw that in the first game through the Darcsen camps. The idea of front line soldiers trying to do this crap is laughably dumb, all the more so when the class literally has a photographer with them to prove the murders, and it was EXACTLY such photos that practically ended institutionalized racism in the west.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

What the rebels say they are protecting Gallia from IS the Darcsens; their willingness to destroy everything else to do that is what makes them seem like hypocrites. Also, ordering soldiers to gun people doesn't work on a consistent basis: for example, while the Nazi police battalions (the people tasked with the killings) had initial "success" in rounding up/killing minorities, so many of them deliberately missed, or turned a blind eye to escapees, or found an excuse to avoid their 'duty' that thousands of Jews managed to escape them. Not to say there weren't a fair share of psychos who volunteered for the later hunts, but most soldiers tried to avoid them as best they could. It even went the other way as well: there were cases of both enlisted men *and* officers walking away from shootings they were ordered to commit (generally because they knew the victims, either personally or because they shared a dialect), and suffering nothing from their insubordination.

Even those willing to perform the executions had their problems: one officer was crippled by stomach craps every time a hunt was scheduled, eventually costing him his position and getting him sent to the front lines due to 'cowardice'. When he got there? He earned the Iron Cross and managed to work his way up the chain of command, even surviving the war (IE, not a coward in the least). Not to say he wasn't ashamed of being unable to order the deaths of innocent people personally (he was), but it helps illustrate the problems the soldiers faced, many of whom turned to alcohol in order to cope.

That's the reason for the dehumanization the Jews were forced to go through before their deaths, and why the killing process ultimately had to be dehumanized: broken down into separate steps, with different soldiers at each one performing the same action repeatedly. While psychos could be relied on to hunt down small groups, killing a whole town required a methodical process; and we saw that in the first game through the Darcsen camps. The idea of front line soldiers trying to do this crap is laughably dumb, all the more so when the class literally has a photographer with them to prove the murders, and it was EXACTLY such photos that practically ended institutionalized racism in the west.

This isn't a professional "soldiers gunning down" action, this is a Pogrom. Spur of the moment style razings that have little thought beyond "kill them all".

Also, the occupation of Korea and Armenian genocide can serve as counterexamples of willing people who didn't flinch.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Started replaying this game a little. I have been skipping the classmate stuff and that honestly makes the game a lot more bearable. I think I had way worse memories of this game because I was doing every classmate mission and watching every skit. If you just go through the main plot, the tone shift doesn't get that bad. Tournament aside.

That said, I only now remember just how much I loving hated those "Defeat all enemies" missions because of the way the AI works. Sometimes I'll clear out all visible enemies only for one or two soldiers to remain hidden in the grass where I can't see them, presumably hoping that they can wait this out until I lost out of boredom. It's like they don't move until you "activate" them or something. It's really annoying and it only serves to make getting A Ranks harder. It's the worst feature.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Get this simple 2-map kill-all key mission out of the way. Its gimmick is that there's a sandstorm, but it's just an excuse to rotate out my Engineers. Which isn't happening fast enough considering how many Scouts and Snipers they've killed the past few missions.

Rene Quest 3

Uh, what's a Garment Goddess?
If you put your uniform by the classroom, somebody washes it overnight. Even the grossest stains are gone by the next morning. It's magical!
Sounds like somebody with too much free time. So, what's with the "goddess"?
That started when the boys decided it had to be some cute female cadet. It's THE topic of gossip in homeroom. Everybody wants to know who it is.

I guess this is a case of teenagers or something, but maybe Helmut or Reiner could've chimed in, "Hey guys, this is really creepy and we should trace whoever's kidnapping our clothes!"

I still don't buy the goddess part, but it's nice what they're doing.
Oof, I just remembered I'm supposed to go see Brixy. Sorry, gotta go!

*Later that day*

Sure, no problem.
Thanks. I, uhh... I can rest easy knowing you're there with us!
Oh, but I don't mean that like you're violent or manly or any of that junk!
Avan, are you still worried about me after what that boy said?
Now, that's not what I... I just thought, you know, that...
Ah ha ha ha ha! Look at how nice you are. I'm juuust fine. You don't have to worry about me at all, okay? Now, let's get ready to head out. We've got a big day ahead of us!
Right....

If you somehow don't see how this quest is going to go, the game is just throwing you the answer at your face.

I would like to say this was one of the more involved Arlem missions, but I think I just spent a whole turn trying to kill the enemy Fencer Ace, which is really hard to do.

It's a nice day out. Why not take a break before heading back?

*On the roof*

Whoo! Done for the day.

Just 'cause they're not washing it doesn't mean they have to dirty it ALL. Eh, at least this way I get to feel useful. Heh heh. Not a cloud in the sky, the laundry's all done, I'm feeling good!

*Avan arrives on the roof*

No way...
YOU'RE the infamous Garment Goddess, Rene?
Avan! Ah ha ha! Busted, huh?
Busted how? It's not like it's anything to hide.
Aw, it's just kind of embarrassing. Plus it's not really my image... And there's no way I'd fess up after the whole Goddess thing started!
Forget your image, man. I'm sure everyone would be super grateful.
Yeah, but that's not why I do it. It just feels good, you know? I get a kick out of seeing everybody looking nice and having fun.
You know something?

Before, you said you didn't think you had any appeal. That's crazy. You look cool playing soccer. And you're cute humming away while you hang up the laundry!
A-Avan!
If I'm ever looking for a girlfriend, you'd better watch out, man!

A semi-confession is not what I was expecting out of this classmate quest.

Wha-?! Now you're just messing with me!
...Thanks, Avan. It feels really nice to hear that.
Huh? I'm just callin' it like I see it.
Hah! You're a good guy, you know that? C'mon, I'll cream you at soccer. We still have to settle the score!
Totally! I'm gonna mop the field with you this time!

The garment goddess thing is a little random, but hey it ended in a nice way that Avan helped...sort of.

This is probably one of the worst classmate Potentials, as it increases Evasion when a listed Friend is nearby.

And I just realized another Lancer is gone, leaving Vario and Coleen left. I might have to change Noel back to Lancer Vet at some point.

Oh yeah, remember this whole Yuell thing? The cutscene that we literally got days ago because we needed to do multiple month missions to access this cutscene?

drat it! Outside our jurisdiction?!
Yuell's a little north of us, so we can't move without Army orders?! Stupid!
I applied here because I wanted to protect what matters to me, but now...

I'm not understanding what's so immense about the battle in Yeull, considering we're probably the only squadron that fought the rebel leaders multiple times without a single casualty. If anything, we're super qualified!

Okay, we're not THAT qualified.

What?
I know two people isn't going to be enough to drive back the rebels. But maybe we can make an opening for the Army to turn things around.
Avan...

That sounds like a SUICIDE RUN. ARE YOU SERIOUS

"The Pain of my friend is my own." Leon's words. Any time I felt blue or got mad or got hurt, he was right there for me. He'd be worrying along or getting mad with me. We faced it all together.
Now it's my turn to be there for my friend!
Avan, I...Sniff...Thank You.

SUICIDE RUN, do you not understand what that is???

Hey, don't cry! C'mon, we should get going!

Zeri?! Did you come here to tag along with--
I came to save your necks, you idiot. If they see you, you'll be expelled.
This is important, Zeri. I'm going, now get out of the way.
Even if you do go, you'll be breaking academy rules. Going AWOL, and for what? So you can die a senseless death in Yuell and drag Lanseal's name in the mud?

Even Zeri agrees with me! Even if Avan is invincible, you got a goddamn Engineer that can't do anything half the time.

Or maybe we'll actually make a difference! We won't know until we try.
You'll know the minute you consider the facts. They are elite armored corps!

A reminder, Audrey is attacking Yuell with her infamous tank squadron.

So what, then? If the enemy's too strong, you just give up?
You can't win what you can't win, Avan. That's a simple fact. Why do you always do this? You drag everyone else into your insane plans. I told you, I have to become a hero! I have no desire to get killed as a result of your suicidal impulses, oka--

WHAT THE gently caress

A hero?! Don't make me laugh! A hero for what?! For having played it safe long enough to get promoted? If you can't help a friend who's suffering, then to Hell with all of it! I've got no more time for this. Cosette, let's go!

"Yeah, gently caress your dream for equality among the Darcens and everyone else. You're a bastard for not willing to die a pointless death with us!" Are you loving serious with this, you loving shithead.

*The two run away*

*Time passes*

Um...
Cosette, you're shaking. You gonna be able to fight?
I... I'll be fine! See? Fine.

*Giant explosions shake the ground*

...There are just more of them than I thought.
We'd never get through them from the front. We need a plan.

*A radio signal comes in*

An incoming signal? But I only told--

Zeri, this is far more than he deserves.

I knew it! We got into Yuell okay...But there are too many rebels for a frontal assault.
Obviously. You're only two people. What were you planning to do if we didn't show up?
We?
I've got the whole class. We just arrived at the edge of town. I can't have you ruining my reputation by dragging Lanseal's name in the mud.
Everybody? Zeri, I--

We'll create a diversion. Meanwhile, you and Cosette will get in there and blow up that depot. That should cause them to panic, which gives us a window to attack.
Okay, got it. You're a genius as usual, man!
Compared to you, anyway. Just the same, this plan hinges on you two.
Stay alive long enough to rendezvous. Promise me.
I promise. We won't waste this chance, you guys!
Now, let's go take back Yuell! Class G, move out!
Right!

Rene art pages

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 26, 2015

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Next skit is Avan being court martialled and executed by firing squad.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

gyrobot posted:

They are talking about economics, rebuilding after the war is a dicey issue. On one hand, subsidizing the agricultural sector means North Gallia could produce more food for the army and civilians which will keep the other villages from volunteering to join the GRA for food. Of course Zeri realize this is bull since the nobility will simply skim from the coffers and the people would still starve.

If only they focused on the political aspect also like Dog Life and Dog Style, it shows just how hosed up civilian life out of the warzone is like.
Well, even if they have subsidies for the farmers, I can specifically talk about the difference between dairy in the US and Iceland, where the former despite heavy agricultural subsidies still has a free-market with open competition going on as a result of the post-war period; while in Iceland a government monopoly on milk has lead to a stagnant, incredibly corrupt operation that doesn't even sell smoked cheese, drat them.

While in the American sphere you have the problems of the subsidies being a self-feeding loop of subsidies followed by political donations, at least they are to some degree provide a useful function; they provide a very stable food supply and encourage variation in milk products.

Whereas in Iceland, the closed market means that not only are the people not profiting at all, but combined with political corruption and protectionist tariffs, alternatives are expensive, even while the farmers themselves get paid very little.

Oh and actually on topic jesus loving christ, that plot point is so idiotic it hurts and isn't even well executed. Why not have more than literally 2 people? Why not have that vaguely plausible situation that more people would likely abscond with them, if it meant saving friends and family?

NO GOTTA HAVE ARE GREAT HEROES DO ALL THE WORK HOO HAH WE HAVE NO IDEA HOW COMBAT WORKS

VVVV

Xander tell me about the Israeli Dairy industry please

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 25, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Claiming to save friends and family would have at least provided a semi-plausible excuse for the whole suicidal scenario.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I kinda hope Zeri has snapped and is bullshitting Avan into finally committing suicide by stupidity.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Im interested to see how you do this mission actually. I always do it a certain way. Ill mention it after you handle it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The whole Yuell arc is an exercise in stupidity.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A very short update

A bit of a change-up in presentation with Cosette in place of Brixham.

The objective is for Avan or Cosette to reach the objective, and there's a poo poo ton of enemies between those two things.

Two new gimmicks. First are searchlights, which paint howitzers on that location. Not exactly that dangerous, as I've said my peace on them before.

Second gimmick are doors, which can only be opened by a switch somewhere else.

Zeri's plan is to travel his team at the A switch, so Avan/Cosette have a shortcut to the objective. Keep in mind that the A rank requirement for this mission is 5 turns.

5 turns.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Having not played this game or any of the others in the franchise, I do not understand the CP economy and so whether you beat a turn limit or not just seems to be arbitrary magic.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Lotish posted:

Having not played this game or any of the others in the franchise, I do not understand the CP economy and so whether you beat a turn limit or not just seems to be arbitrary magic.

The turn limit is just how many turns you are allowed to use to still get an A rank in the mission. CP is just how many moves you can do in that turn.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Ahaahahaha I knew you were going to do that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hmmmmm on the one hand Avan's plan is stupid, on the other hand gently caress Zeri...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lotish posted:

The point is that you're supposed to be spending a lot of time fighting your way through with an entirely separate force on another map to ultimately hit a switch and open a door, but instead he just made Avan an armor tech, buffed his defense, and walked straight past a tank to get to the goal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That was just the laziest method. The map isn't designed that well at all, because a simple Constructor+Scout immediately opens up the A door. And honestly, you don't even need to buff Avan with an Order. Natural Armor Tech Avan without a buff can run through tank+Gatling turret fire.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
On one hand Zeri's right in that Avan's acting really dumb and hotblooded about the situation and that he should cool down a bit.

On the other hand he's phrasing it in one of the most asinine ways possible. 'I won't let you jeopardize my becoming a hero to show that Darcsens are Just Fine by dragging me on idiotic suicide missions where you'll get us killed!'
My immediate reaction was 'Wow Zeri, that is so heroic.'

It could have been handled better yes, but that's pretty much Valkyria Chronicles 2.txt.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I dunno guys. You keep going on about it's a suicide mission but it looked pretty straight forward to me.

Maybe you're not applying enough in universe thinking.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Honestly? Avan is just following in Welkin's proud footsteps where if a guy makes an argument you don't like but can't refute, you just hit him .

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Close to a new page for the next update, so here's a dirty secret and reveals how casual this LP is:

I never actually beat VC2. Past May, I've basically been playing blind story-wise.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't blame you. Everything about this game looks awful, I'm following because it's hilariously bad.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Honestly? Avan is just following in Welkin's proud footsteps where if a guy makes an argument you don't like but can't refute, you just hit him .

Do you mean Faldio? He may have had good intentions, but he still shot and almost killed Alicia.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I forgot to post Rene's pages since her quest is done, so here it is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tae posted:

I never actually beat VC2. Past May, I've basically been playing blind story-wise.

Huh, so you don't even know that word is secretly longer word? How will you be able to judge exactly how cliche the plot is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Clarste posted:

Huh, so you don't even know that word is secretly longer word? How will you be able to judge exactly how cliche the plot is?

This but unironically. There are some magnificently dumb 'twists' in the game and I wasn't sure if you weren't complaining about the heavy-handed foreshadowing to preserve the surprise or what.

• Locked thread