Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Apparently, someone brought Dennis Rodman to the horror talk show mentioned earlier in the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQoIo2K6zlM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Nah, we're bad people.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Wasn't Abrasso in Fallout?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Efexeye posted:

why do people in croatia continue to work for weeks without getting their pay?

It's kind of the norm. They learn to live the sunk cost fallacy and know they're never getting a dime if they quit.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Efexeye posted:

I have had many a lovely, lovely job, starting with caddying at a country club, then bagging groceries, working in restaurants of varying degrees of quality for a decade, teaching school and now finally consulting and my one solid rule across all these experiences is if you don't pay me when we agreed you would, I don't work. You have literally no other leverage over your employer in a right-to-work state, which I assume, croatia isnt

I'm not trying to justify being dumb, but Croatia has something like 20% unemployment rate and up to 50% for young people, so a job that pays occasionally still beats no job at all, ever.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving ASF!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Professor Puppytime posted:

What kind of self defense provisions are you allowed??

The gun laws are very strict in Croatia. It's difficult to get a permit to own a firearm and impossible to get a license to carry, unless you're law enforcement, working as a security guard or had credible threats issued against you. The background check is very thorough and includes police interviews with your neighbors and family. It's enough for a neighbor to claim he'd heard a loud dispute in your house for the permit to be denied. No selling or buying without permit. All guns must be transported unloaded, and you can only do that if you're on your way to the range or back. Police will drop by and check whether your gun is under lock and key. If your gun safe happens to be unlocked when they check it, you lose the gun.

That being said, there is a lot of left over crap from the war, PKMs buried beneath barns and the like, but gun crime is low and you're unlikely to be killed by anyone that isn't an alcoholic member of your own family.

There was an interesting case a few years ago when a war hero veteran general went nuts and had a rampage during which he killed five people in a rural area, among them a SWAT dude. The only man that faced him and lived was one Vlado Knok, who was so drunk the general thought he was already dead.

Have a photo of the general:

And of the lucky survivor:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

All restrictions for Germany were lifted on July 1st this year, so feel free to move there and get a job.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Efexeye posted:

I had an MRI and an MRA recently; not only did they have to pre-authorize them with the insurance company, but I'm also $780 out of pocket after their contribution. grr

Are you sure you needed a men's rights advocate? Joking aside, those two procedures would probably cost less if you just walked into a private clinic in Croatia without any insurance.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

If the tax office decides that the reported price was too low they'll calculate the market price and what would be the tax for it and demand that the buyer pays the tax difference. Which is still much cheaper for the buyer than paying the market price for the house. You sure showed him! PM me if you got any other real estate that you want to sell under price.

Yes, they will "calculate" the "market price" by taking a peek into their tables with inflated prices dating from the peak of the 2007 bubble.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The square shape gives it away as banjalucki cevap

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

So that’s what goes for 240€ in Zagreb today. I am guessing utilities go on top of that? Another 100-150€? That’s a sizeable chunk out of your wages if you’re waiting on tables or doing something similar to get by

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

That's not a concern of mine. I'd rather rent to a hooker than a waiter because the former is swimming in cash and the latter is picking pennies off the sidewalk. Harsh, yes, but that's just the way things are.

Don’t worry dude, I’m just making an observation about the rentals market. Of course you should charge as much as the market allows

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

So is it haunted or what? What’s the catch?

If you own property you can rent out in Zagreb or on the coast, you’re probably well off. If not, sorry dude, hope you like collecting bottles from dumpsters and trading them in for 10 cents a piece. (Thin layer of white collar professionals with superb connections and education excluded)

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I dunno, I like to imagine it’s forward rolls, my brain thinks it’s somehow even funnier than somersaults

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

What I'm picturing is desperate criminals and mentally ill convicts in Croatia just busting power moves and doing flips and cartwheels to while the day away

Sir, this is the Croatian parliament

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ASFB - literally worse off than when he had cancer

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I’d totally move to Croatia and live in the empty apartment if I didn’t desperately need major back surgery, which I’m guessing I don’t want to get in Croatia.

These guys rock, especially in terms of orthopedic surgery - https://www.svkatarina.hr/en

Probably a lot cheaper than in the US, and with Western European levels of service. I think they are owned by a German health insurance provider. Plus, you get a nice holiday.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

What does racism in Croatia look like? Who’s the minorities?

Casual xenpohobia - pretty much anyone who is not identical to you in every aspect, including Serbs, Bosnians and especially Albanians. Plus dreadful stereotypes about every nation in the world. Tell me where you're from and I'll tell what Croats think of you.

But the real marginalized group are the Roma. But I really mean marginalized - living in ghettos, would never be given gainful employment, infant mortality rate several times higher than for Croats, life expectancy decades shorter, universally considered to be thieving benefits scroungers... Unfortunately, most of them are also visually different than the majority. Croats will literally cross the street not to pass near them for fear of being pickpocketed. Very sad.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Poldarn posted:

I'm Canadian, my body is ready.

American, but duller. That is, stupid, uncultured and loud, but also living in the tundra.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Are there any black folk in Croatia?

Imagine being the only black guy for hundreds or thousands of miles

I’m sorry for hijacking ASF’s thread, if they don’t want me to do this I’ll stop.

Anyway, I’d say Croatia is still at the stage where there are very few black people. A buddy of mine, his dad came from Ghana, and he’s had a successful TV career so everybody knows him. The rest of them are mostly African people that came to study medicine or engineering during the :tito: years and their descendants. Some recent refugees, too, but a really insignificant number. I think the country is over 99 percent white.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Ooh do me next, I'm Dutch.

Are you a prostitute? Or you sell :420:?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

Yeah, it's Croatian, not Croation. I've seen that a few times online and it's puzzling since that's not a suffix for any nation (no Italions, Americons, Bosnions...).

Why do you have to be so negative, is it because you’re Croat-ion?

I’ll see myself out...

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Bobbie Wickham posted:

There is going to be there weirdest goddamn exodus from the West to all over the former USSR, like a reverse Cold War situation, only it'll be a bunch of drug addicts and thrill-seeking goons who appreciate the value of a dollar in Eastern Europe, and I, for one, cannot wait to bear witness.

They’ll be just in time to save all the landlords that kicked out working class families to make place for AirBnB day rentals, alas.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

They’ll be just in time to save all the landlords that kicked out working class families to make place for AirBnB day rentals, alas.

No edit in e/n LMAO. I meant to add the landlords are going bust due to oversupply. But not ASF, he’s one of the decent ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

So, what was that incident? Is anyone still making Awfulpedia entries?

There’s an 18 page thread in QCS that is closed now and a thread in E/N with GET PARENTING HELP in the title. The tl:dr would be former E/N mod Bobbie Wickham allowed a child abuser to continue posting for 16 pages and solicit advice on how to avoid CPS.

That being said, ASF is not even close to that level of a shitshow. He is an adult who has been through a lot and just likes shooting the poo poo with a few posters in this thread. Yes, he does abuse prescription drugs, but w/e. I sincerely believe he sometimes overplays some of the stuff for comedic effect. He is not suicidal nor does he do extremely dangerous poo poo like he used to. Leave ASF alone.