Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Hey Auspol, have a graph I made:

This was made to show a bozo with an MBA why mobile data services aren't going to be obsoleting fixed lines any time soon.

Edit: included handset data and total mobile data.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

CrazyTolradi posted:

This is pretty much what real experts have been saying for ages now, but newspapers will still get "experts" in social trends to tell us how MOBILES ARE THE FUTURE of computing and wireless is the THING that will drive the Internet in this brave new world.
Luckily the latest round of ABS stats came out yesterday. Fixed had another year-on-year of double digit growth, mobile had gone backwards again. If I had more time, I'd look at their collection methodology for mobile, because mobile traffic going backwards is a bit counter-intuitive.

open24hours posted:

I'd imagine it's because it excludes handsets.
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@...2014&num=&view=

I actually read those bits and completely forgot about them.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 2, 2015

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Mattjpwns posted:

Re: the iinet sale, lots of incorrect info in this thread.

Phone posting at the moment so I'll be brief, but it hasn't been sold yet - it goes to a vote in the shareholder meeting in June/July. TPG require 75% of the total amount of shares to be in the hands of people willing to sell at the 8.60 offering price.

The board doesn't decide, they make a recommendation to shareholders. The shareholders then get the final say.

This is why founder Michael Malone is on the warpath. With 5% of the total share holdings, he 'only' needs to convince enough people to make up another 20% of the total amount of shares to vote against the motion.
Maybe a bit less: http://investor.iinet.net.au/irm/content/PDF/top20sh.pdf

Is he'Value Added Network P/L'?

Speaking of major shareholders, it seems like HSBC Nominees own 15-20% of just about everything

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 2, 2015

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
yeah I've already fixed the graph.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Mattjpwns posted:

iiNet's growth hasn't really been on an organic basis for years now, it's mostly been on acquisitions, and there's no one left to acquire.
That seems to be pretty much Australian-ISPs.txt these days. TPG owns the carcasses of scores of smaller ISPs now.

Seems like Value Added Network P/L is the fuckers behind Amcom.

Who was the poster doing an MBA @ UWA? Does the library/business school here have some sort of subscription to ASIC?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Murodese posted:

Does anyone have that Abbott quote on how he left the church because he felt they were too kind to poor's?
http://nofibs.com.au/2013/03/28/tony-abbott-on-why-he-left-the-priesthood/ or PDF scan: https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/special_eds/20100315/abbott/docs/Bulletin1.pdf

quote:

But mostly l felt “had “by a seminary that so stressed ”empathy” with sinners and “dialogue” with the Church’s enemies that the priesthood seemed to have lost its point.

Yeah mate, the best reason to become a priest is to go to war with the church's enemies, you antediluvian fuckwit.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 3, 2015

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Allah be praised

It's an Ice taskforce, so expect a lot of noise and not a lot of action.

I thought that problem was solved by taking pseudoephedrine out of pharmacies.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
what's the retention period?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
i've been fiddling around with my own one, with 7 days' retention, but don't have enough quota to do anything useful.

Are you hosting at home?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

lightinwater posted:

I'd like to know why Usenet is the go to option rather than seedboxes or VPNs which you can also use to get around some geo-restrictions

Cost of hosting @ home is lower than having a VM, esp if you have a healthy download quote. You can combine with VPN if you like.

ASIO won't give a poo poo about it, AFP *might* but if you're not uploading then you'll be so towards the bottom of the list of targets. AFP still bust people burning DVDs and selling them at markets.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

This thread has been pretty quiet on the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement. The Greens on FB and Twitter have been going mental over it for ages, as has a bunch of non-aligned pundits. Anybody got any thoughts? It seems like one of those dodgy as gently caress things that in ten or thirty years historians will look back and be like "It seems so strange that they just let such a huge thing slip through without a murmur" but the big wigs have been pretty good at keeping it under wraps. Can't we just... can it once it gets released? Or are they going to boobytrap it so hard that if we try to touch it half the rest of the world is going to gear up and send a bunch of aircraft carriers to park in Sydney harbour?

Well we've already harmonised our IP regime (eg patents, copyright) to suit US interests, extending it further to allow nonsenses like re-patenting existing pharmacueticals doesn't seem like that much of an issue.

It's unAustralian to not let ourselves be reamed by overseas interests

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 16, 2015

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Scylo posted:

...who is currently not attending party room meetings following his being mentioned in the ICAC developer donations inquiry.
NSW_politics.txt

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I will bet real money that when the GST gets raised it will be accompanied by cutting stamp duty.
Replace stamp duty with an land value tax.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

council rates are a fee for services, aren't they?

Or just raise the LVT to a level where is can fund all local govt operations too, and get rid of rates.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, it's one of the things that keeps popping up in every tax review.

I pinch most of my ideas from the Henry Reveiw, TBH

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Stuff from NZ counts as Australian when we like it, it's in the constitution.

S.129, which got up with the 'Phar Lap/Pavlova/John Clarke' referendum.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Cambodia's great! Only 900-1000 people per year killed by landmines and other unexploded ordnance. Only an infant mortality rate 11-12 times higher than Australia. Nearly a third of the population have access to sanitation! Only 16 times fewer doctors per 1000 people!

Poor brown people displaced by conflict/genocide/repressive regimes should only go to other poor brown countries. Saying otherwise is racist! Besides, rich white countries can't afford to help them. Our GDP per capita is only 44 times higher than Cambodia's!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

hooman posted:

This senate inquiry into financial institution corruption seems pretty interesting, I don't understand a lot of it, but am pretty curious as to what is going to be coming out of it.

A royal commission? I won't be holding my breath.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Murodese posted:

Europe has a real problem on their hands here. They could do worse that follow Australia's lead on this issue. Its a no-win situation for the refugees of course. All the worlds powers i.e. USA/Russia/China/Europe/Japan need to get on the same page and take down these idiot governments where the people are fleeing from and install a colonial rule until they can demonstrate a degree of civilized behavior.

The white man's burden, knowing what's best for everyone else.

Edit: also, if economic migrants are so terrible, why fixate on the humanitarian intake? Everyone else who migrates to Australia is doing so for work, or related to someone who has done so. We take 130k economic migrants + 60k of their families every year, but are more worried about a relative handful of asylum seekers?

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 21, 2015

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Hi Auspol, I'm more worried about a few hundred asylum seekers turning out to be 'economic migrants' than 190,000 actual economic migrants arriving in Australia every year.

Oh wait, it's actually because I'm so concerned for their safety at sea that I'd rather they stay home and be tortured/blown up/ethnically cleansed/raped. Because the very idea that someone might potentially take advantage of our offer to help them is so outrageous that we'd better send 9 people back into harm's way than let that 10th person through.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 21, 2015

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
457 visa workers don't count as migrants, do they?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Jumpingmanjim posted:

In light of last night's four corners on soft marking of international students (and some domestic students too), does anyone want to share their experiences? It seems like everyone's got a story to tell about this, its almost like an open secret, but its never got the kind of attention that you would this kind of rampant corruption to receive.

I've seen international full fee paying students get extra coaching on how to answer questions, but they still failed if they didn't answer them adequately or by the due date. To be honest, I passed some things that a super strict subject co-ordinator would've been within their rights to fail me on, so I can't complain too much.

My partner has failed international full fee paying students with no repercussions, although a case of blatant plagiarism she found was allowed to resubmit.

Universities are loath to fail people in general - a bunch of Uni Adelaide medical students were blatantly cheating in a barrier exam a couple of years ago, but they all got to repeat that year rather than fail. The faculty seemed too scared to remove them from the program. Who would've though that making universities so dependent on student tuition would have this sort of outcome?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Mithranderp posted:

e: you really have to ask how they're getting into your courses in the first place. There's supposed to be a minimum English standard for most courses (like IELTS or some poo poo), but people with extremely limited English skills are still being let in by the thousand.
Pretty much half of 4 Corners this week was on how the English language admission standards are subverted by the profit motives of third parties and universities

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Scott Ludlum's Hair is going to be at a "data retention: what to do" thingie in North Perth tonight:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Asylum shopping: wanting to go a place where you are safe enough to have a decent chance of not being blown up/maimed or dying from what Australians consider a Victorian era disease! Also, asking a country that can easily afford to help you instead of one that can't.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

UWA's home page is flagged as a phishing site in Microsoft's filters, and their main account management portal is still vulnerable to FREAK attacks. Not surprising, considering how top-heavy their central IT department is

Negligent posted:

A person who has money seeks out a criminal to help him or her get what she or he wants.

Morally it's no different to hiring a hitman.
Taking up Australia's offer to help. Exactly the same as paying someone to kill another person!

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 22, 2015

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Negligent posted:

If you seek out a criminal with the intention of paying him or her to engage in criminal conduct for your benefit you bear moral responsibility.

People smuggling is a crime. By supporting people smugglers, wealthy asylum seekers are culpable for deaths at sea.
Considering that it's Australian government policy that forces asylum seekers from certain places to try and arrive by irregular maritime means, wouldn't you agree the Australian government is responsible?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Lid posted:

So this is happening.

Well of course the UWA central admin wouldn't complain, they will be sucking up anything up to 30% of that grant money in "overheads"

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Zenithe posted:

It actually isn't criminal, if you care in the slightest.

Even if it were criminal, what is criminal can be changed very easily (and plenty of things are criminal that shouldn't be, like mocking federal parliament).

Edit: if you mock the parliament, you are morally equivalent to a person who engages a hitman. :downs:

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 22, 2015

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

katlington posted:

Labor released a super tax policy!?
Taxing investement income above 75k? OMG politics of envy!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Oskar Schindler - morally equivalent to a hitman
Also, Rall Wallenburg, honourary Australian citizen.

If we want to riff on the ANZAC thing, Nancy Wake AM GM.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Negligent posted:

good laws attempt to reflect the norms of a society, including moral norms, and breaching those norms should have negative moral connotations,
I agree, and can only find negative moral connotations for the actions of Charlie Perkins

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Negligent posted:

I mean rescuer in the philosophical as well as literal sense.
What does it mean to philosophically rescue someone? Help them when they're drowning in confusion about de morgan's laws?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

kingcom posted:

What do you do if someone is coming to murder and torture you and your family and you need a way to avoid being tortured and murdered.

contract some Australian legal experts to prepare a report for your on the legality of your taking the only option available to get to a safe country (a country that won't let you travel there safely)

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Negligent posted:

Paying someone money, who in exchange for that money places your life and theirs at risk, is not.
such as buying booze.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
http://theconversation.com/asylum-seekers-in-indonesia-why-do-they-get-on-boats-8334

Is it wrong to force people stay in a place they aren't safe, or deny them safe ways to leave said place?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Negligent posted:

Endman already tried that.

What about my point about the sale of alcohol (and cigarettes). Both of these pose real harms to the person acquring them, and the community at large, as well as the vendors.

Still waiting to hear how it isn't wrong to do what our government does, ie force people stay in a place they aren't safe, or deny them safe ways to leave said place.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Negligent posted:

I don't understand the comparison.

If you buy a pack of smokes the vendor isn't required to smoke them with you, whereas a people smuggler goes on the boat with you.

If you buy smokes you aren't doing so in the knowledge that this particular transaction will, with certainty, require someone else to rescue you.
Why did you ignore the alcohol bit? Bar staff are at risk from drunk punters, ergo it's exactly the same by your absurdly reductivist reasoning.

Anyone, the ones operating the boats aren't the ones making much money, they're poo poo poor indonesian fishermen getting paid gently caress all and running the risk of ending up in an Australian prison.

Edit: also, still waiting to hear if you think it's morally acceptable to force people to remain in danger, or to prevent them from seeking refuge in a safe manner, as our government does. Australian government polciy has a central role in why people get on 'leaky boats' in indonesia, and it's the only thing we have a chance of changing (compared to, say, ethnic conflict in Sri Lanka). Why won't you address this?

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 22, 2015

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Negligent posted:

I mean rescue in the broadest sense. Not just that the navy comes and saves you, or even that the boat reached shore and you make it to civilisation, but that you will be completely helpless and at the mercy of your rescuer, and again, I mean rescuer broadly.

If, in your current location, you are in danger of being murdered, then the prudent thing to do is go somewhere that you are less likely to be murdered. Walking is available to everyone, whereas people smuggling is not.
How do you walk off an island?

still waiting to hear if you think it's morally acceptable to force people to remain in danger, or to prevent them from seeking refuge in a safe manner, as our government does. Australian government policy has a central role in why people get on 'leaky boats' in indonesia, and it's the only thing we have a chance of changing (compared to, say, ethnic conflict in Sri Lanka). Why won't you address this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Tokamak posted:

Auspol or Cryptoparty.... Auspol or Cryptoparty....
Pls phonepost from the cryptoparty

• Locked thread