Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

I hereby register my strenuous objection to this part of the OP on the grounds that you are going too loving far. We (yes, we, there's still plenty of Dems) are still a party as far as the AEC is concerned, and until remain so until such time as the party is actually deregistered. Also stop being a bunch of shitlords carrying on about something that happened twenty years ago that half of today's party membership had no loving control over (due to, you know, being children at the time).

Gods preserve me.

You know what else happened when you were children: literally anything the australian democrats ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tokamak posted:

I love that this is the stale corpse of a political party which you are desperately clinging on to.
Maybe ScreamingLlama is taking heart from the no land tax party, who got 2.3% of the vote with a corpse.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-31/no-tax-party-bega-candidate-may-not-be-alive/6361410

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

I like Llama being here, it's kinda neat.

You're just happy there's finally someone more politically naive than you for us to make fun of.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Yes, we should base our opinion a political party solely based upon one person we know who votes for them instead of their policy.

To be fair Llama is the only person we know of voting for them

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Be the change you want to see in the world.

*eats a billion sugar free gummi bears while hitting post*

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Let them who are not Anidav cast the first stone

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

starkebn posted:

yay, destruction of property! that's a rational response

Won't someone think of the poor institution which systematically enables and protects practicing pedophiles!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

kingcom posted:

Also it was done mostly during periods where there was no farming to be done so they were essentially giant employment projects that pulling in a huge number of craftsman and trained up a lot of people with a new set of skills.

Yeah, the pyramids were essentially the predecessor to FDRs government works program

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
But look way radder

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Pickled Tink posted:

I AM SUMMONED!

Mine was better

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Shadeoses posted:

First Dog is the comic that Auspol deserves.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

To be honest I don't feel SHY is an asset to your team.

A penetrating insight

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I wish it was mills making that mistake so we could report him to the ato for an audit

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I agree that we should crack down on welfare cheats, turn the rich old fucks still drawing the full pension into nutritious gruel.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Victorians get public holiday penalty rates this Sunday :toot:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Drugs posted:

I post in 4 (four) threads on these entire forums and Craig is trying to ensconce himself as a regular in three of them.

Thank god for Auspol Crew

What's the other????

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Welfare is not a waste of money. Consider it an investment in avoiding the guillotine.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Pickled Tink posted:

See 50 new posts, pop in, and it is just a torrent of abuse between a bunch of shitposters.

People: Please stop being so easy to troll. When you read something here, get up from your computer, walk around your home a few times, then sit down and ask yourself the following question: "Does what I want to say in any way add anything of value to this discussion". When you say yes to yourself, realise that you are a loving liar and walk around the house again. This provides both exercise and makes sure you actually think before you put what passes for thought into words, and maybe will help make this thread less of an absolute shithole.

The problem is not Graic. The problem is you. You are the problem. I know Fruity made the whole "Angry ranty" thing seem cool, but you are all a load of poseurs compared to the magnificence of her incandescent rage. The thread only needs one Fruity (or less), and certainly has no requirement for Gough Suppressant knockoffs. I have the first dog market cornered, and a few other people post interesting or contributive things here and there. The rest of you seem to be engaged in a contest where you see who can scream at thread targets the loudest and only appear to hit anything of substance by accident.

Please try not to act like bigger children than our government.

I confess, I wrote the above because you lot made me have to open up and actually read one of Graic's posts. I've had him on ignore for months now, and been the happier for it. Please note that I am not actually responding to him here, just using what he said because it is a clear example of how many people think:

Welfare will always be a cost. There will always be those who cannot work, are unable to find work, or are in some way unfit for work. Yes some forms of welfare are, in fact, being rorted. The aged pension is the biggest example of this. In the end it boils down to two main competing world views.

One of them is the self centred one, where the person sees what they have accomplished and rightly or wrongly credits only themselves with having achieved their own outcome, and feels that others who have not had to jump through the same hurdles they have do not deserve to have the same or similar conditions and circumstances as they do. These people measure their self worth by how they compare to others in society. This is a more selfish and short term form of thinking.

The others are more society oriented. They recognise, rightly or wrongly, that what they have they have not just because of their own efforts but those of other people around them, and they measure the worth of themselves by the society they live in and how they have affected it. This can be selfish too, especially if you are on a lower rung than the average, but is generally a more longer term sort of thinking.

These are a gross oversimplification, of course. But it is politics, so we need to simplify things to communicate concepts in ways that don't make everyone else's eyes glaze over.

Welfare is a classic example of the divide between the two world views. One fails to recognise that they only succeed because of the work of others, without which their own work would have been meaningless. The other demands that those who have benefited the most from the system pay more to support it. I confess that I am in the latter of the two camps mentioned above. Anyway, I ramble. It is what I do when I am tired and grumpy and have a sugar high and a dozen achy injuries.

One thing people who oppose welfare need to realise is that the economy is all connected. People who receive welfare get what amounts to table scraps with which to make ends meet. This money is spent on goods and services, what little extra there is gets put away towards quality of life or emergency purchases. They do not gather up vast piles of unused capital. Every dollar that gets spent on welfare for the poor, unemployed, and disabled is put right back into the economy again. It becomes the wages that store clerks earn, the profits that drive your businesses share price, the grease that keeps the wheels of the economy turning without which the wealth that those of the selfish group would neither have existed in the first place or retain value today.

The true poison to an economy is not those who are on welfare. As mentioned, they spend pretty much everything they get thus producing economic activity and growth. The problem is those who accumulate capital and then don't do anything with it. This sucks money out of the economy. By amassing and hoarding millions of dollars for no better reason than to keep score, the selfish group cause the economy to contract. As it stands, this group are currently the ones in power, and they largely control the political discourse in the western world. They rig the tax rules to benefit themselves (Capital gains tax rates? low. Income tax rates? medium. Consumption taxes? high. Exemptions? Many if you are wealthy, few if you are poor) and serve the goal of further accumulation of wealth. The Austerity narrative is part of this.

It is very very easy to blame and vilify the unemployed. Blaming the victim circumstance for the circumstance is the easiest way to avoid acknowledging that you might actually need to do something yourself. This doesn't have to be followed maliciously. You can be too busy, or your own circumstances can be too stressful to worry about doing things for others. This whole series of complaints about the welfare system is essentially a manufactured distraction from the fact that the system that needs a major overhaul is not welfare for poors, but taxes for the obscenely wealthy (Both individuals and companies). It has become increasingly self evident that the wealthy are not paying their fair share to support the system that enabled them to be in the position they are today. Companies shift assets overseas and debts to onshore subsidiaries so they can claim a tax credit for a loss that doesn't really exist in the larger structure of the company. The wealthy hiding money away in offshore bank accounts and in ways that are taxed at vastly lower rates. The budget problem is one of income, not expenditure.

The reason welfare has not been cut entirely is not just because it is unconscionable, but also because stripping people of everything they have, and leaving them with nothing but crippling debt forces many of them into crime in order to survive. The scare analogy Gough suppressant provided comes into play at this point:

Though it is less guillotine and more having your poo poo stolen, possible kidnappings, etc.

Those who support cutting welfare down or off entirely either don't think it through to its logical conclusion, or they do, but believe either that they can simply flit off to another country where they don't have to worry about the angry mob, or that somehow they'll benefit from the police state required to keep order in such a society.

tl;dr: Welfare spending is not a problem, and is in fact a good thing, both socially and economically. lovely regressive taxation is the problem, and Welfare is just thrown up as a distraction by those who benefit from the status quo to prevent action being taken to meaningfully change it.

I apologise for this rambly post, but I am too tired to engage in more than a brief proofreading.

PS. Stop acting like a bunch of loving children.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

chaos rhames posted:

she's pointing out nobody discussed domestic violence rates in favor of whatever the gently caress they've been doing.

Yes but none of them were OUR BOYS getting killed by COWARD PUNCHES

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

Shouldn't the AFL and the NRL be handling all that stuff internally anyway? I never really understood why we're paying for ASADA to regulate sports that have plenty of their own money.

No serious sporting body on the planet handles their own PED screening process.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

Maybe not, but they should at least pay for it.

My guess for the AFL, NRL etc's argument against that idea would be that the reason they're governed by a WADA affiliated body is because Australia wants to be able to keep competing in the olympics and athletics, cycling, swimming etc are where the majority of problems are so make them pay for it.

I agree though, the domestic codes make money hand over fist so they should be contributing to it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Drugs posted:

Who cares about internet you nerds, footy's back!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Comstar posted:

Speaking of sport, was/is Essendon FC guilty? Sounds like they went out of their way to be dodgy as hell, and cried a lot when they got found out that EVERYONE WAS INVOLVED, and you can't just remove an entire multimillion business from the competition...that would cost them money and we can't have that now can we.

The panel were satisfied that the importer, compounding chemist, and sports scientist all acted with the intent to import, compound and inject a prohibited substance to the players, but were not comfortably satisfied that they actually succeeded in doing so due to none of them testing the substance to ascertain it actually was the substance they ordered, recording results of said test, and volunteering results of said test to the investigation.

Essendon's entire defence rested on "we have no idea what we injected into our players so you can't prove it was prohibited".

Hopefully they get taken to the cleaners by work cover claims.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Only true renaissance men should be allowed to play professional sports. If a player is not able to perform an individual forensic chemical analysis on each substance presented to him by his club then he deserves to get injected with performance enhancing draino.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Murodese posted:

Does anyone have that Abbott quote on how he left the church because he felt they were too kind to poor's?

"I loving hate the poor and the infirm and especially the poor infirm" Abbott, T, Battlelines

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
:siren::siren::siren:http://thesauce.co/telegraph_generator/:siren::siren::siren:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Is anyone actually surprised that immediately after taking on the social services portfolio, Scott Morrisons response to anti vaccers is a collective punishment which impacts the children more than anyone else?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

best thing about morrison's policy is that it either shouldn't exist or should be a standard non-event policy that doesn't merit front page at all. as it is it's a great way to achieve very little, ruffle very few feathers, win a bunch of political points (gently caress the welfare queens! save our money!) and further vilify the poor and people on welfare, which as someone else pointed out, are the exact opposite demographic of who is actually perpetrating these acts.

it's like saying "anybody who commits voter fraud or embezzles money or engages in active political corruption to the detriment of the country will be stripped of their welfare cheques and deported back to sri lanka" except without the part where rich white conservatives could be affected. it's just more dogwhistling and the fact that we're talking about it at all in this context is hosed. if you agree that vaccinations should be compulsory, we shouldnt be talking about this welfare diversion but about legal penalties and social services and exclusion from society for offenders. if you dont believe that vaccinations should be compulsory then we shouldnt be talking about this either

anyone who writes overly wordy cartoons will be banned from gainful employment

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

TheIllestVillain posted:

isnt their legislature now controlled by literal crazy people

unlike australia, which

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

I sure am glad we have newspapers in this country to doxx perpetrators of violent crime for us so we don't have to do it ourselves, yes siree.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Hey, if not for this article we may never of known that correlation/causation between living in the Netherlands and killing an innocent person.

Or what ever the hell their point was.

I thought it was about unpaid internships

quote:

One of the company's founders told Fairfax Media Mr Stanford "never actually worked" for the firm but "did contribute" to some of their projects.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

QUACKTASTIC posted:

The most recent US midterm elections had the voter lowest turnout since the 1940s.

US Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz has just announced his opposition to the 'homosexual jihad' and Rand Paul walks out of live interviews when they ask him for policy details.
Come read the USPol thread if you want to compare them to the LNP, we've got quite a ways to go.

e. on the other hand, here's Rick Perry

Yes, thank god we don't have a candidate for executive office who just walks away in response to press questions.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Maybe businesses should not sign contracts months before an uncertain election the result of which will decide whether or not the contracts go ahead. Seems like poor decision making on their part.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The fact that republicans are even considering a Texan Latino for president shows that maybe some of them are waking up to how demographically hosed they are.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

QUACKTASTIC posted:

You mean a Canadian Texan Latino, surely.

Don't mention the Canadian part. I almost want him to win so some nutter brings a case to the Supreme Court and they actually have to rule on whether you need to be born in the US or just a citizen at birth.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

norp posted:

Not to derail but haven't they done that already because of someone who was born in a US military base overseas?

And it was never taken to the supreme court afaik.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Apparently the settlement for East-West link will be $339M, more than the $230M the state government first offered, less than the $2Bn the consortium first demanded(obviously a ridiculous ambitclaim)

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
This is a cheap price to get out of such a lovely project. Need I remind you that the business case for East-Waste Link recommended that in order to pay for it, all non toll highways would need to collect tolls for 50 years?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Hello dr Karl, would you like to spruik for our inter generational report?

Why yes Tony Abbott, given your excellent track record on science and evidence based policy I imagine that this will be an objective report and not tainted by existing ideological bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I absolutely agree we need serious investment in infrastructure, but spending billions of dollars on big dumb roads which don't stack up in their business or use cases is not what I had in mind.

• Locked thread