Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Redwolf posted:

Welcome back you damned souls that haunt this thread, its been another fun month on the ceaseless thrill ride that is Australian Politics. March saw the passing of the last vaguely human member of the Liberal party with Malcom Frasier dying of shame after reading one too many articles on the current state of the party, the perhaps even more tragic loss of beloved Queensland icon Jeff the Tyrannosaurus, Labor capitulating on the metadata retention laws like the gutless cowards they are, the Palmer United Party inching ever closer to just being Palmer sitting by himself in the cafeteria crying into his caviar, New South Wales conclusively proving itself to be worse than Queensland and...well lets just get this over with shall we

So that happened. Yes, that is the leader of our nation eating a raw, unskinned onion live on camera as though its a normal thing humans do. Truly Tony's weird, awkward, inhuman nature knows no bounds.

For those of you who are just joining us here is a brief overview of Australia's major political parties largely stolen from Quantum Mechanic.

The Liberal Party of Australia

The Liberal Party are a pro-capitalist, right-wing, socially-conservative party currently in power. Led by Tony Abbott they believe in screwing the poor, torturing refugees in tropical prison camps and hanging on to power at all costs.

The Australian Labor Party

The Australian Labor party are a pro-capitalist, right-wing, socially-conservative party currently in opposition. Led by Bill Shorten they believe in screwing the poor, torturing refugees in tropical prison camps and regaining power at all costs.

The National Party of Australia

The Nationals are a pro-capitalist, right-wing, socially-conservative parasitic twin latched onto the Liberals and are thus technically in power. Led by the reanimated corpse of Warren Truss they believe in whatever the Liberal party has told them they believe today.

The Australian Greens

The Australian Greens are a motley band of belligerent anarchist rabble whose supporters are heavily represented in the thread. Led by Christine Milne they believe in Scott Ludlum's dreamy, luxiourus hair, free lattes for all, and probably the same things you do unless you're an absolute shitstain of a human being.

The Australian Democrats

The Australian Democrats are a pro-capitalist, right-wing, socially-conservative party consisting of forums poster ScreamingLlama. Led by forums poster ScreamingLlama they believe in fabricating a list of 550 members to prevent their imminent deregistration as an official political party.

We have an irc channel, #auspol on synirc where we discuss news, politics and which quantum state of employment Anime Dave is currently existing within.

:siren: Some things to consider before you join #auspol :siren:

• On occasion the channel will become voiced either to cut down on bullshit or more likely because I got bored and wanted to annoy people. We STRONGLY SUGGEST that you register your nick with Nickserv so we can add you to the voiced list. To do so, just /msg nickserv help register and follow the instructions.

• Since the irc is full of Australians and therefore poo poo and terrible people who don't think or learn without being repeatedly beaten about the head, we have a word filter that will kick you for saying certain words. These are mostly unfunny jokes chosen by and changing at the capricious whims of the mods, but it also watches out for certain gendered slurs and words which are considered unacceptable, and for which the mods will ban you for one day if you use. We don't apologise for this and don't really care how you feel about it. Please also avoid offensive fake user@hosts, you will be banned until you change them if you want to participate.

• Shut the gently caress up about wrestling. Goddamn it. Goddamn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Looking like the Nats will hang on to Lismore.

I don't want to shoot the messenger but gently caress you.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

ScreamingLlama posted:

Drunken, bitter, angry yobbos mocking everything remotely political while impotently stewing in the futility of their own acts? Smells like auspol.

I'm just saying myself and my beloved party seem to be receiving a disproportionate amount of mockery and abuse.

I'm not willing to accept the idea that one fuckup means that group should be gone forever. After all, the ALP put Kim Beazley in charge for a long while.

What is the dems official position on asylum seekers?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Blab Snorten posted:

Tony Abbott has cut more than $50 billion from Australian hospitals, threatened a new GP Tax and slashed funding for preventative health initiatives.
To help Australia's health system cope with this, Labor will today launch a new preventative health campaign – An Onion A Day Keeps the Doctor Away.
The multi-layered campaign will raise awareness of the ongoing health benefits of consuming raw onions.
The campaign will also bust the myth that onions are best consumed cooked and with the skin removed.
Research suggests that not only does eating raw onions ward off disease, it has been shown to make you up to three per cent more popular.
The campaign will seek well known “Allium Ambassadors” to use their profile to break down the unwarranted stigma that’s often associated with randomly picking up a raw onion and taking a big bite out of it, like its an apple.
More information on the campaign will be available shortly.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
I take back some of the bad things I've said about Victoria. Unless this guy turns out to be from another state at which point Victoria still sucks

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Anidav posted:

I like Llama being here, it's kinda neat.

But you're from Queensland so your opinion is bound to be poo poo.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Kommando posted:

I'm just trying to get one of those sweet Democrats gangtags.

Anythings better than right?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Jonah Galtberg posted:

It gives me chills seeing anime dave using "we" in a context where I might be under that umbrella

At least you have an umbrella when Anidav is weeing

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Ragingsheep posted:

Current Telstra and Optus offer up to 100mbps. Maybe you won't be able to do it streaming from the US but 4 4K streams from Australian servers should be ok?

Not on copper they don't (guess what most people have access to).

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Is anyone going to the antifa rally in Sydney this weekend who maybe wants to grab a bit of lunch or some such?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Fruity Gordo posted:

I am! I imagine I'll be in a big crowd of young greens so PM me when you get there

Sold, not sure if I'll be flying solo or have company yet but I'll hit you up when I get in there.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Drugs posted:

Ban all things that aren't sport

Reported so mods see you posting a banme.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Endman posted:

Is the thread tearing itself apart again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plz-bhcHryc

I don't care if this is :thejoke:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What's the thread's opinion on Israel?

Produces some OK animés but terrible wrestlers.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Birb Katter posted:

Produces some OK animés but terrible wrestlers.

Actually, if the number one linked thing on Google for "foraging weeds israel" is a blog post with only one post then maybe it's less cool.

You can collect the following around the area though

Wild greens:
mallow, wild mustard, nettles, sow thistle, milk thistle, wild fennel, wood sorrel, eryngo (which looks pretty cool), purslane and lambsquarters

Fruits:
figs, pomegranates, apples, lemons, prickly pears and grapes

Nuts:
almonds and pine nuts

Spices:
mustard seeds, sumac, fennel seeds, pink peppercorns

Olives and capers are also to be found around the place.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Here is the Storify of the whole Jezza business

It involves being pilled out in Queensland.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Doctor Cave posted:

Ten's of anti Islam types have turned up at the Hobart rally. Massively outnumbered by the antifa.

Aww yeah :redhammer:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Brown Paper Bag posted:

So if I'm reading this correctly the rallies have been postponed until Mother's Day?

Note that the press release came out after the rally was due to have started.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Big Willy Style posted:

70 ppl showed up in rockhampton central qld. No counter protesters.

How did the Sydney antifa rally go? I know fruity and one other were going, I was showing my solidarity to Vietnamese refugees by eating at noodles house in regents park instead.

I was going but the weather here in Sydney is freaking poo poo and I'm pretty crook with no wet weather gear in town so bailed and watched the drama on Twitter like a true slacktavist. This doesn't have most antifa numbers but does peg the fascists in Sydney at about 500. Assuming antifa turnout in numbers like Hobart then we're looking at over 1k protesters. Antifa guys did have to get shuffled on by the coppers for busting onto the Reclaim Australia stage though.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

I'm not watching 35 minutes of that. Even one minute made me hate this place we live in. buggsbunnyqld.gif

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
It's gotten even more stupid. You probably can't believe it but it's a fact.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Seriously, if the problem with capitalists earning money is actually religion I'm ok with religion being banned.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
I'm going to go all :tinfoil: here and blame the banks.

Cafes don't care, pubs don't care. They know the cost and factor it into the price of stuff they sell. Banks on the other hand have massive clout with the government and want to open much longer hours but are super loving pissed that it may cost them more in wages. They know that people already expect banks to have poo poo opening hours so being closed doesn't hurt them like a cafe not opening on a Saturday would hurt them.

They literally want to screw people over because they're too tight to pay double time for Sunday banking. poo poo a business can even still do banking after hours using a night safe or what ever, they just want to cut hours for staff during the week and make it required for the same staff to make it up on the weekend at no cost to them. Work life slogans be damned.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
itshappening.gif

SPILL SPILL SPILL posted:

Two of NSW Labor's most senior officials are pushing for an investigation of possible rorting of the 2013 national ballot that saw Bill Shorten elected party leader, after revelations the addresses for dozens of voting papers were altered.

NSW Labor assistant secretary John Graham and the state secretary of the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union, Tim Ayres, who is also on the national executive, have written to general secretary Jamie Clements calling for the move.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Queensland, police, this story is all about The Worst State™. Stay classy QPS.

The ABC posted:

The Queensland Police Service (QPS) is refusing to apologise to an Indigenous officer who was referred to as an "Abor" on a roster written by the officer in charge of the station.

The senior sergeant also wrote the word "gay" next to the name of another officer on the same roster at the Coolangatta Police Station.

A senior police source on the Gold Coast defended the senior sergeant, telling the ABC he was not a racist or a homophobe. He said the senior sergeant had written "Abor" next to the constable's name so that he could deal with potential cultural issues and offer appropriate support. The source said the word "gay" had been written next to the other officer's name because it was well known the officer had been struggling with his sexuality and had told staff he was gay.

The senior police source told the ABC that two of the three officers who made statements about the "Abor" and "gay" references were now under investigation for providing false statements

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Matthew Beet posted:

So from the article it seems this was written on his personal copy and not intended to circulate publically and someone went and got that from his desk. Is that right?

The wording is a bit ambiguous but that's the way I read it too. Could be that he had other notes taken from his desk and is trying to use that to weasel out of stuff.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Matthew Beet posted:

I dunno, having abor as opposed to abo sticks out to me. I don't think this is clear cut as you're making it out to be.

I'm a management fuckwit myself and I have notes on people for legitimate reasons. One example that came to mind as I read the article was that I had written annotations like 'halal' next to a name on a list of staff attending an all day off site thingo so we could prepare appropriate food options. Without context that could be completely spun any which way as my list didnt say "dietary options" or anything, it was just a list of names with that one thing next to one name.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have applied some thought or sensitivity to it, I would never have written gay next to a name for example, I'm just saying that I don't think it's a great example of 'Omg how corrupt are QPS and qld sucks'. They are and it does, I just don't think this as great of an example.

That's a fair point. I just figured 'abor' was either a Queensland thing or someone who can't spell so good.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Didn't they introduce stuff that said you couldn't put your kid in childcare if they weren't vaccinated already?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Matthew Beet posted:

Concientious objection was still allowed or on religious grounds I think.

So what you're saying is we should ban all religions.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Gentleman Baller posted:

The hell does this mean? Do we build separate schools for children who are unvaccinated? If not and their parents can't afford to homeschool them are they just screwed? Are we going to send them all to a single area to make life more livable or just forcibly keep them under house arrest?

Lets put them on an island, build a camp for them, let Serco handle it all.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

I saw a great tweet about that. Something along the lines of "I'm happy for the death of journalism if this is what passes for it".

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Birdstrike posted:

In the latest Ipsos poll NSW is reported as 52 - 48 2pp in favour of LNP. I thought it could be factoring in an imminent Turnbulling but no, Abbott is also preferred PM by 5 points. Even WA, 50-50 2pp has Abbott behind.

What the poo poo, NSW?

First state worst state.

Let me see: Tony Abbott; check, Bronwyn Bishop; check, Joe Hockey; check, Scott Morrison; check. Do I need to go on?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Stop the breasts?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

The ABC posted:

Australian real estate shows no sign of slowing down, with 79 per cent of auctioned properties sold last weekend.
The real estate analysis firm's data show prices are up 6.4 per cent in Sydney so far this year, compared to 3.9 per cent gains in Melbourne
At this point in time we think the [Sydney] market's about 25 per cent overvalued and, if our forecasts come in for this year, it'll actually get up to about 40 per cent overvalued
A typical Sydney home is a record 10 times income and Melbourne is just below its pre-financial crisis record of nine times.
the chief economist of Australia's biggest home lender - Michael Blythe from the Commonwealth Bank - told The Business that there is no bubble

There is going to be so much frothing rage when people who have their million dollar houses suddenly worth 600k

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Just another reason not to shop at woolies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Oh god, it gets worse

• Locked thread