Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

My dumbass dad got impatient with a Roku installation and somehow ended up contacting Orlate Inc. while looking for Roku support online. He gave them access to his computer and he told me that they found all sorts of "corrupt files" as well as "network intruders" and charged him $99 for a 3-month tech support subscription.

There isn't enough :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh: in the world right now but I'm trying to pull damage control. How much of a scam are these guys? How many passwords do I need to change? I've instructed him to turn off his modem and computer until I get home and can take a look at what exactly was changed on his computer.

They surprisingly have a sparse online presence except for BBB accreditation (from January!) and a facebook page full of clueless and thankful old people. They apparently "fixed" the Roku install but I'm obviously all sorts of suspicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
At least its not as blatant as some others. I was expecting the worst from Googling it.

Me personally I'd nuke everything. Chances are way too high they will they're gonna flip after a while and steal everybody's info at once.

• Locked thread