Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Pence crumbles under the might of Big Gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

The original title of this article was Why I Won't Vote for Obama AG nominee Loretta Lynch: Opinion from Rep. Gary Palmer, R-AL, Rep. Brian Babin, R-Texas, Rep. Jeff Duncan, R-SC, Rep. Trent Franks, R-Az., Rep. Vicky Hartzler, R-Mo., Rep. Jody Hice, R-Ga., Rep. Barry Loudermilk, R-Ga., and Rep. John Ratcliffe, R-Texas.

Surprisingly, the article contained more text than simply, "Because I am a member of the US House and we don't vote on nominations.

why they continued to write past

quote:

As members of the U.S. House of Representatives we recognize that the power to consent on executive branch nominees resides in the Senate. The Senate also has the power, indeed, the obligation to reject those nominees unfit for service.

is wondered by all

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Fried Chicken posted:

Drop the "birches and churches", go straight paleoconservative and I could see myself potentially voting for them (depending on the specifics of the platform).

haha what, paleoconservatism still has tons of poo poo in it dude

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Dr. Tough posted:

Whites will always be a majority of the US population. The day that "white" as it's defined now dips to 49.9% is the day that "hispanic" disappears as a racial category.

hmmm nah

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

Ex-Congressman, current-deadbeat dad, future Illinois Senate candidate Joe Walsh will be broadcasting his talk radio show from Memories Pizza in Walkerton, IN.

will he be running vs duckworth oh please oh please

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, Mark Kirk will be.

is he going to run again with his stroke problems?

also lol

quote:

In a speech on the floor of the House in 2003, Kirk stated: “The last time I was in Iraq I was in uniform, flying at 20,000 feet, and the Iraqi Air Defense network was shooting at us”. Kirk has since clarified his statement, indicating that there is no record of his aircraft being fired upon.[25] “I simply misremembered [sic] it wrong”, he told the Chicago Sun-Times, referring to his military record.[26]

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

Congressman Huelskamp is mad about bullet bans. So mad that he's gonna ban the bullet ban... with bullets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWdbqV_AICc

Take that, paper!

was he aiming for "BULL" or just so mad he was extra aggressive with his pull

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

not sure if i missed any talk of it, but from that cotton article

quote:

You wrote a thesis at Harvard in which you suggested that people who run for national office possess a superior intellect compared with people who don’t. Has your experience in Congress and in the Senate confirmed that?

No and yes. My thesis was a defense of our Constitution on the terms that the founding fathers wrote specifically in the Federalist Papers. They hoped that our form of government would draw forward men and women who are the wisest, most prudent and most experienced.

is his thesis as bad as it sounds

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

site posted:

So Intro to Logic
logic courses aren't a part of every schools curriculum and its really hosed up

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Stultus Maximus posted:

The material can easily and appropriately be integrated into science, math, and language arts.

except they aren't

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Popular Thug Drink posted:

It's ok to be mad at a police man for murdering a guy but there's no socially progressive way to frame your outrage in a fashion which makes it OK for you to punish the dude's wife also.

We don't know why the cop hasn't been fired yet, but we can make all kinds of assumptions about unfair treatment so long as it stokes our righteous outrage towards those dirty drat cop-marrying pregnant women!

Iirc the chief literally said they weren't revoking the insurance yet. It's still stupid and I'm not excusing anyone, however.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Radbot posted:

If you don't think that woman should get the Luxury Suite at the hospital and not the Medicaid ward, you are literally calling for Hitler's return.

this poster has no idea how hospitals work

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

JT Jag posted:

I must confess that I care more about how a government governs its state as a whole rather than how it treats any single person. By giving 'charity' to select individuals to cover bad circumstances that they as lawmakers are largely responsible for, it allows a government to ignore the structural problems of its policies.

Sorry that I'm concerned about government accountability and am firmly against entrenched double-standards, I guess. That said I believe it is repugnant and regressive to think that a state should be allowed, nay, encouraged to assist whoever the hell it feels like assisting on a person-to-person basis.

concern yourself about the cop shooting an unarmed man in the back 8 times and not with revoking health insurance from a woman at 8 months pregnant you moron

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Family Values posted:

I like Krugman's answer to the 'both sides are basically the same' nonsense, and also the 'sincerity' double standard.

quote:

Now, some people won’t want to acknowledge that the choices in the 2016 election are as stark as I’ve asserted. Political commentators who specialize in covering personalities rather than issues will balk at the assertion that their alleged area of expertise matters not at all. Self-proclaimed centrists will look for a middle ground that doesn’t actually exist. And as a result, we’ll hear many assertions that the candidates don’t really mean what they say. There will, however, be an asymmetry in the way this supposed gap between rhetoric and real views is presented.

On one side, suppose that Ms. Clinton is indeed the Democratic nominee. If so, you can be sure that she’ll be accused, early and often, of insincerity, of not being the populist progressive she claims to be.

On the other side, suppose that the Republican nominee is a supposed moderate like Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio. In either case we’d be sure to hear many assertions from political pundits that the candidate doesn’t believe a lot of what he says. But in their cases this alleged insincerity would be presented as a virtue, not a vice — sure, Mr. Bush is saying crazy things about health care and climate change, but he doesn’t really mean it, and he’d be reasonable once in office. Just like his brother.

This is going to be true and it's going to be terrible because it works.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

All war is a crime. Hope this helps.

b--but my hegemony through military strength :qq:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Venom Snake posted:

I'm quite proud of my family history, so knowing my ancestors were slave owners isn't exactly pleasant.

lol

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Stultus Maximus posted:

Barriers are more effective than you think.

Where is it from and is there more?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

A statement was put out saying they could all attend as anyone was welcome to attend, just not as their particular group because ~bible reasons~

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Charles and David Koch are well known for their business success, their generous philanthropic efforts and for their focus on innovation in management. Some also know them for their activism in the political realm. All of these are important contributions to society. What is underappreciated is their passion for freedom and their commitment to ideas. Unlike many crony capitalists who troll the halls of Congress looking for favors, the Kochs have consistently lobbied against special-interest politics." ~ Rand Paul

How has Rand reached his age without being murdered by his father?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Evil_Greven posted:

Ah yes, the free market.

Suppose all compsci employees voluntarily accepted the average U.S. wage - even with shortages in said employees. They would then be paid that wage, and employers would rejoice.

Skill doesn't have an inherent value.

lol no way in hell he makes 189k at IBM in IT with a masters

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Grover Norquist did the Piketty write-up and its awful

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

but he makes 189k a year as an IT architect at IBM, guys

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

i went to a concert in burlington a few weeks ago and it was about 94% plaid shirts lmao

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

school lunches have been bad forever. maybe we should spend money to subsidize student lunches? hmm nah

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

got a link to stuff on that FC?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Luigi Thirty posted:

He's not wrong.

Shut up, meg.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Talmonis posted:

Who's the Oompa Loompa in that picture?

Ernest Moniz, sec of energy and funny faces during SOTU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Amergin posted:

Or the fact that liberals skewered Romney for "changing his mind" on things and didn't bother to listen to logically sound and consistent thought processes.

I'll bite to see you explain why he's pro-choice then pro-life, or the same for marriage, etc.

Oh...state's rights. How consistent.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Jared Polis is great and he probably makes so many people mad on the hill because hes gay as gently caress and its awesome

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

like polis adopted a kid and is probably 10000x a better parent then all those catholic fucks

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Badger of Basra posted:

Isn't Polis a wall street democrat?

uh hes from colorado and is just filthy rich from tech bubble crap so maybe thats where your confused, but everything he comes up for in the house is usually Good Things

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The governments of Algeria, Qatar, and Kuwait are deeply concerned about humanitarian issues and that is the only reason they would donate huge sums of money to the family foundation of a candidate for US President.

Wouldn't want to second guess the philanthropic motives of literal slave states.

Edit: I don't think Hilary Clinton is stupid, so I doubt anything provably illegal will happen.

And BP et al. donate quite a bit of money to all sorts of conservation projects despite being planetary vampires.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Like I said, nothing illegal will happen. I won't believe for one second the Emir of Qatar gives a flying gently caress about drilling wells in Africa though.

And I'm sure it's because deep down they feel bad and not in any way an attempt to dodge taxes and/or curry favor.

i dont happen to know exactly why they do it, just that people, corporations, and nations give money for weird reasons that aren't always an exact quid pro quo

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So would people consider a Google executive donating to the Gates foundation evidence of illegal collusion between the two companies?

people, and especially so conservative-minded ones, are going to fall into the ~foreign~ aspect of the money

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Stultus Maximus posted:

NPR's Steve Inskeep would like us to know that unlike Ferguson, Baltimore is a friendly, non-racist city and he just can't figure out what happened

I have no idea what the point of this story was other than to remind me that firing Bob Edwards was the first in a long chain of credibility-busting moves by NPR.

Steve Inskeep is a serial self-owner in the race to be ~reasonable~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

People actually purchase and wear the "miss me" W clothing? That can't be real

• Locked thread