CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Don't forget, Indiana also just convicted a woman of killing her fetus when she tried to commit suicide:

http://www.wncn.com/story/28664509/first-woman-in-us-sentenced-for-killing-a-fetus

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RuanGacho posted:

Government corruption requires public compliance and complatancy to exist.

Government Corruption would exist otherwise, its to what level it would exist that would change.

But most government corruption now is driven more by Citizens United and complacency than anything else.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Xibanya posted:

This is from the party that brought you that rear end in a top hat who thought you could observe a woman's uterus by having her swallow a camera.

This is from the party that we had to make a website for this:

http://www.dayswithoutagoprapemention.com/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

I suppose one positive outcome of this is that some businesses that are both hateful and dumb enough to put up like "NO FAGGOTS" signs in their windows or something will go out of business.

Seriously, just add an amendment to the law that requires business who wish to discriminate to have a sign.

And watch them burn to the ground.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

His Purple Majesty posted:

You're implying that businesses that explicitly discriminate would fold when I think that the opposite would happen. Remember chik fil a?

Chic Fil A still largely caved (or spent more timing hiding its donations to groups like the AFA and others) publicly. They just did it as quietly as possible.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 1, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

They posted signs in Jim Crow south. Notice how that turned out. And if you want to argue it's different, consider Chik-fil-a being unambiguous about their hate and consider how that ended up.

Basically, you are underestimating how hateful people are.

Again, Chic Fil A quietly said they were withdrawing support and funding for groups like the AFA and others. While I'm sure they are still donating under the table, their latest financial transparency reports show them only funding their own Foundations and no others.

They did it as quietly as possible so as not to spook the Conservative crowd that was throwing money at them.

And Jim Crow still eventually got wiped out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

We had 100+ years of "no colored allowed" signs being fine and dandy, I don't see posting a "no gays allowed" sign having any more of an impact.

We're in a different sociological climate, the sort of climate that allowed Jim Crow is no longer politically acceptable, regardless of what the Tea Party and GOP say. While during the Jim Crow era you could pass racially and religiously biased legislation and expect it to stick, now the GOP passes it not hoping that it will stick, they KNOW it will not, they pass it to appear to be listening to their constituents, and can just shrug when it gets struck down.

Its not the same.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Mods change my name to Powerful Gay Blitzkrieg.

"Mein Panzer ist Homosexuell"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

McAlister posted:

Can't quote as it's the new thread but on the rennie gibbs thing. I confess, I didn't read the link in its entirety.

I've been following this case for 6 years and I was googling as a citation, not with an eye to presenting someone unfamiliar with it a complete overview. I wanted a link with the umbilical around the neck thing near the top as that was a stunning and recent revelation. I've had far to many arguments on the Internet over this case that shred my soul. Assholes and pro-lifers are quite willing to imprison a child for life for being an addict who got pregnant. The expectation that a positive pregnancy test can heal someone of addiction is absurd but common. Decades of research trying and failing to find a link between "crack babies" and miscarriage bounce right off far to many people's heads. The umbilical thing finally shuts those people up ... For the wrong reasons but OMG FINALLY!

She miscarried in 2006 and was arrested and charged with "depraved heart murder" at 16.

In 2014 .... 8 years later ... Those charges were dropped ( speedy trial indeed ) and the state indicated they would pursue the case by seeking an indictment for manslaughter instead.

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/03/murder_charges_dismissed_against_mississippi_woman_on_trial_for_giving_birth_to_a_stillborn/

Manslaughter. When it is known that the cause of death was most likely umbilical strangulation and science has clearly established that cocaine doesn't cause stillbirths..

Per the link above the national advocates for pregnant women has records of hundreds of cases like these. There is insufficient resources to give all of them extra help. Rennie is thus lucky as she became a rallying point and was able to pay for good legal defense as well as eventually make bail. Over 70 medical organizations came to her aid filing an amicus brief with the court stating that the drug link was bullshit and providing studies showing that what they were doing causes pregnant drug users to be afraid to seek the medical help they need - which causes a lot of harm. And still she's been fighting this for a third of her life with a host of restrictions placed on her - even when out on bail you can't do things like leave the state which other people can do.

And all of this with no evidence of wrongdoing. People caught with gun in hand standing over a dead body have faced less jail time and less of a legal battle than women like rennie and Bei Bei have.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheDisreputableDog posted:

No, she didn't try to commit suicide, just threw the baby a dumpster after delivery.

Although this was an educational article in that Asian Americans can be referred to as "people of color", did not realize that.

quote:

"Purvi Patel's conviction amounts to punishment for having a miscarriage and then seeking medical care, something that no woman should worry would lead to jail time," said Deepa Iyer, Activist-in-Residence at the University of Maryland's Asian American Studies Program and former director of South Asian Americans Leading Together.

Despite Patel's claim that she gave birth to a stillborn child, prosecutors argued that Patel gave birth to a live fetus and charged her with child neglect. Prosecutors also claimed that Patel ordered abortion-inducing drugs online and tried to terminate her pregnancy, but a toxicology report failed to find evidence of any drugs in her system.

Patel is the first woman to be sentenced under Indiana's feticide laws but she isn't the first woman to be charged. In 2011, Bei Bei Shuai, a Chinese American-woman, was held in prison for a year before feticide charges against her were dropped as part of a plea deal. Shuai was reportedly suffering from depression and tried to commit suicide while pregnant. She survived, but the fetus did not.

"Instead of receiving the medical support and counseling [Shuai] so desperately needed, the state charged her with murder and attempted feticide," said Iyer.

Different case, same state.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Accretionist posted:

Where are you getting suicide from?

It was a different case, same state:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bei_Bei_Shuai

Either way, we're charging someone who has a miscarriage, largely criminalizing miscarriages. Regardless, this is setting a dangerous trend, and in Tennessee, they've enacted a law where women who use drugs while pregnant will go to jail after the birth, largely criminalizing someone who needs help and counseling, not prison time and a record.

quote:

Shuai's case is the first in the history of Indiana in which a woman is prosecuted for murder for a suicide attempt while pregnant.[6] The feticide statute under which she is also prosecuted was intended, when enacted in 1979, to cover acts by violent third parties such as abusive boyfriends.[4] Women's groups in the U.S. warned that Shuai's prosecution could set a precedent for criminalizing a pregnant woman's actions, such as smoking or drinking, or having a miscarriage.[4]

At least 38 U.S. states have similar "fetal homicide" laws, which are increasingly used to prosecute the pregnant women themselves.[9] Recent similar cases in other states include that of Rennie Gibbs (charged with murder in Mississippi for having a stillborn daughter while addicted to cocaine) and at least 40 cases of pregnant women charged in Alabama under a "chemical endangerment" statute originally intended to protect children from the fumes of illicit meth labs run by their parents.

The problem with the case I linked is that multiple states are starting to prosecute stillbirths and miscarriages. That is the issue at hand.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 1, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

So we have an exclusive on the "new" RFRA

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/04/01/indiana-rfra-deal-sets-limited-protections-for-lgbt/70766920/

Key points:

1) the bill was literally written by "business leaders". The Indiana senate went to them, had them outline what they wanted, wrote it, and then went back to let them vet the language. This is also with Pence describing himself as CEO of the state and the Republicans denouncing the bill on the grounds that it is governments job to help businesses and that they should have had "business leaders" write the bill the first time. So yeah, flat out channeling Mussolini.

2) offered protections to customers, none to employees, which was one of the big points made of the existing bill. I'm shocked that "business leaders" made a point to preserve their expanded power over employees, shocked I tell you.

3) does appear to drop a heavy protection against discrimination for customers on for profit businesses so that good

4) this is preliminary language, yet to be studied by lawyers, so we will see

5) the leak to the star could be an attempt to disrupt the change; we'll see how this shakes out because it still needs to pass committee, senate, house, and pence.

That's funny considering the people who helped write the bill:

EDIT: I just noticed we're talking about the "New RFRA". My Mistake.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 1, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

The new one is written by the "business leaders", the original version (the one in that picture) that is presently law was written by a social conservative bill mill with Eric Miller and the rest signing off on it before it went to the state GOP and got signed into law. Sorry if I was unclear there

No no, you were clear, I didn't read it properly. :doh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh Georgia, do we REALLY want to be Indiana that badly?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Accretionist posted:

From the end of last thread, I thought this deserved more attention:

Article: Texas measure cuts HIV funds, boost abstinence education
From: ABC News
Date: April 1, 2015

An appropriate response.

Sounds about right. They are still pushing for Abstinence only sex ed in the South despite our loving awful Teen Pregnancy rates (and the weird idea that if you tell kids not to do something, they won't do it.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slate Action posted:

It doesn't reduce pregnancies, but it does increase the amount of votes you get which is of course the real objective.

Somebody think of the easily exploitable children and the Quiverfull movement :qq:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/01/todd-gardenhire_n_6986582.html?cps=gravity_2425_-1375174207172446721

quote:

On Tuesday night, a Tennessee Senate committee voted to deny some 280,000 state residents access to health care, rejecting a plan to expand Medicaid that would have cost the state nothing.

Following the vote, advocates for expansion ran into state Sen. Todd Gardenhire (R), a wealth manager at Morgan Stanley who sits on the committee. One activist, Damien Crisp, asked Gardenhire if he would be willing to give up his own state-subsidized health insurance.

Gardenhire, in a video of the incident taken by another activist, turned around and said something along the lines of "Not giving it up, rear end in a top hat" or, perhaps, "Why don't you give it up, rear end in a top hat?" ("rear end in a top hat" is the clearest part of his rejoinder.)

Gardenhire's health coverage has been an issue in Tennessee before. He had previously claimed not to receive state-sponsored coverage, but the Associated Press, through an open records request, revealed that he does.

"I have it, but I don't use it," the lawmaker told AP after the revelation. "I use Morgan Stanley's insurance, which is far greater."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Also from the not-poo poo-you-joke-about department: California enacts water restrictions.

As climate change starts to hit home.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I don't think California is the center of climate change opposition. Maybe ask all those eastern states who got tons of snow and cold who are asking "if global warming why cold?"

I mean't like the US home, not California in general.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “We shouldn’t discriminate based on sexual orientation.” ~ Jeb Bush.

Wow....um, this kind flies in the face of his previous claims.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Deporting all Muslims is an assault on religious freedom, we just have to point that out to Republicans and they'll reconsider

"The only correct religion is my religion"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "What's going on right now between us and Israel used to be accompanied by a kiss on the cheek and thirty pieces of silver. We're truly looking at a Pontius Pilate President." ~ Rep. Mike Kelly (R-PA).

Obviously, Israel is the King of the Jews, and the only way we can complete their purpose on this earth is to crucify Israel so that all our sins can be forgiven.

I mean, Mr. Kelly does realize that the crucifixion and Judas' betrayal was necessary, right? Does he even understand his own religion?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 2, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

This is a rhetorical question, yeah?

Yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gravel Gravy posted:

Also this makes the US sound like a prostitute.

And we all know what Jesus thought of them :smuggo:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

quote:

Appearing yesterday on CNN, Senator Tom Cotton (R) urged critics of Indiana’s “religious freedom” law to get “perspective,” suggesting the treatment of LGBT people in Indiana compared favorably to countries where gay people are executed.
“I think it’s important we have a sense of perspective,” Cotton said. “In Iran they hang you for the crime of being gay.”

gently caress you Tom Cotton. gently caress you and the letter you wrote to Iran, and the letter you wrote to the UN saying that Obama cannot negotiate Climate treaties.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

God I love that response.

"Those fags should be happy that we don't just straight up execute them like SOME PEOPLE (awkwardly points to Iranian flag)"

"At least we are not killing the gays like Iran......

....yet"
- Tom Cotton

I'm waiting for his next media quote

"At least we painlessly execute gays, compared to ISIS that throws them off buildings"
- Tom Cotton

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if he and a lot of his base would sincerely like to hang gays.

On that note, after Duke announced their opposition to Indiana's RFRA, a noose popped up on campus.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/04/01/noose-reported-bryan-center-plaza#.VR1hsfnF-30

Probably has more to do with racism, but either way, the fact that nooses are showing up says a lot about some of the people Tom Cotton and others represents.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Oh God this reminds me of the Dinesh D'Souza movie my dad took the whole family to that was basically this for two hours.

Dinesh D'Souza: The ultimate irony considering how his country treats class differences.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

Speed build a nuke plant, except direct all steam to desalinization instead of generation. Repeat as necessary. Problem solved.

We know the loving solution. Do it!

California.txt

They are so busy shutting down ALL their nuclear plants (Fukushima :qq:) to replace them with....

Solar and Natural Gas. Solar I am okay with, but Natural Gas is such a irony considering how environmentally damaging is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

I thought it better to burn methane than to have it released into the atmosphere.

The problem is not that methane is not cleaner burning than coal, it really is, but the fact that the extraction method and the heavy leakage is kind of an issue, considering methane is a much more potent greenhouse gas than CO2 and the average leak rate from extraction is 3-5%

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

How could that message not be interpreted as a direct middle finger to at least half those groups? Or was that the intent?

"I love you all so much, but gently caress you"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Spaceman Future! posted:

Regular millionaires blow money just as stupidly but have built in mechanisms already in place to replenish their bank account after the impulse second wine cellar.

See: Donald Trump

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

UIApplication posted:

BACK
DOOR
BULL
BANS

That Gay Marriage Slippery Slope? There it is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Axetrain posted:

His dad may have been a "different kind" but Rand is pretty much your standard boilerplate Republican, hasn't he cleansed himself of any libertarian divergence? Does he draw the same libertarian lite types his dad did? If they have been paying attention at all I would think they have moved on by now.

No, he still pushes a lot of the Libertarian stuff still, but he's started to court mainstream Republican values more vocally.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Petr posted:

ITT white liberals with bellies full of beef, fresh produce, and flavored vitamin water use their smartphones to post about how poo poo life is and how hosed are the middle class.

Won't anybody think about the dog loving minority?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

My breakfast today was steak, a $100 bill, and a tall glass of the tears and sweat of poors

Today, I lit a cigarette in front of a beggar using a $100 bill, and then took a dump in his collection cup while singing the national anthem. Liberalism at its finest, I tell you.

Gravel Gravy posted:

We do, that's why we have beastiality laws.

They have their rights too! :qq:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

blunt for century posted:

Did you get that $100 from getting paid to vote several times, or is it welfare tax dollars?

Bailout funds, so corporate welfare

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gravel Gravy posted:

Why would you mix scotch with Coke?

So he can bear to see his trophy wife screwing his publicist yet again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Tom morrow, I become an even more hateful Libertarian rear end in a top hat appealing to the Tea Party"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

I accept the fact that Cruz may actually be a supremely knowledgeable person (dude did go to Harvard and Princeton, after all) but my problem has always been that none of that poo poo matters when you decide to become a Republican presidential nominee*. I mean, what's the benefit of getting a PhD in geology from MIT if you still happen to be an avowed flat Earther?

*or really just anything related to being a Republican in general

Plenty of morons that can memorize text books and answer test questions.

  • Locked thread