Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Spaceman Future! posted:

The disturbing part is that we will never ever build protections in against ultra wealthy douchebags treating the entire country as their own personal ant farm.

Well not us but the French did develop something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Well they're telling golf courses to cut back at least, still short of their forced closure and guillotining of users but eh.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

What do you have against golf?

besides being an environmental disaster and the playground of the bourgeois?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

Wouldn't this do literally nothing since it would just go right back into the sewage system to be recycled anyways?

For proper spite you should fill containers full of water and allow it to evaporate outside.

It'd have to be reprocessed (needlessly) and the water shortage is causing some of our hydroelectric dams to go offline. Which is fine, its not like California has had power problems in the recent past or anything.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Fun fact, the most recent water conservation laws for commercial land development applies to everything but cemeteries. Most golf course are actually really heavily restricted when it comes to water usage.

They still exist so obviously they're not restricted enough.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This was apparently discussed in the drug legalization thread when the topic first came up in February, but it's come up again today and it seems worth bringing up in this thread...

Colorado lawmakers have been forced to send a question to the voters in order to hold on to the $60 million of marijuana taxes because their Taxpayer's Bill of Rights requires the state to send refund checks to all citizens if the state raises more money than they budget for, even though the marijuana tax itself has not been quite as successful as was originally thought.

What's stopping them from writing a budget that says 'we expect X amount but are budgeting for Y which is bigger than X' so they can just keep the money?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Sundae posted:

Agreed. Just pointing out the flaw in focusing on the energy generation aspect of the desalinization.

Energy is probably the biggest issue California has wrt to desalination as we have serious energy problems and the drought is loving with our hydroelectric power production.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Plain white sheet cake is the most boring and offensive desert ever made, gross.

If he needs a sugar rush so badly I honestly think I would look down on him less if he just ate sugar packets.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

site posted:

What's wrong with enjoying cake? Did you guys not have childhoods or were they just really rocky?

There are better sugar breads then dry as gently caress grocery store cake with colored sugar lumps disguised as frosting.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Axetrain posted:

although from what I understand he might as well just be a center right Democrat anyway.

He pretty much is.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

Still totally legal to carry a working firearm on school property in Tennessee, but please no toy guns or swords.

This is a clear violation of the second amendment rights of Highlanders, sighing Reagans, and Renfaire enthusiasts!

This fuckin' country.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ufarn posted:

I can't loving believe we live in a world where Tom Friedman(!) gets to do an interview with Obama(!!) on the Iran deal(!!!).

If Obama works a 'the next six months will be critical' into it I'll bump his presidential ranking above Lincoln.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zoux posted:

You guys remember in the primaries last cycle when they had a debate and one of the moderators asked "What should these people, without health insurance, do" and some people in the audience yelled out "Let them die". That happened right, that wasn't some satire move I saw?

Wasn't it an actual for real candidate for President of the United States that basically said 'let them die' to wild cheers and applause?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Fairly certain it was Rick Perry, but yes.

Turns out it was Ron Paul so scratch the 'actual for real candidate for President of the United States'.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I refuse to believe that the dude that bragged about killing people was taken aback by the crowd cheering.

zoux posted:

It's weird how many doctors are rabid rightwingers.

It's almost as if a lot of them get in for the money or something :shrug:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The man sure loves himself a smoothie.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

I don't care what they do but I just want to make statistics mandatory

gently caress You.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Hey folks, I don't normally post much but have been getting more interested/involved in politics lately so I apologize if this isn't the correct place for this discussion. Today, I had this article gracing my news feed on facebook, with many of my republican friends commenting and liking it. Here is the article in question:

http://www.usherald.com/maine-welfare-recipients-must-work-for-their-benefits/#.VSMk815brdk.facebook

I don't know much about the US Herald but it seems like your typical right-wing media outlet that likes to point out how dumb the liberals are for wasting taxpayer money. In reading the article though, it seems like they are mandating that able-bodied adults with no children are required to perform some level of community service in order to receive their benefits. Something about this just doesn't feel right to me but I am having trouble articulating it in a logical argument. It disgusts me that people commenting on this article find so much pleasure in "saving" taxpayer money by going after the absolute poorest people in the country, but I know that appealing to anyone on a compassionate level is pointless.

It also feels like this policy is almost a form of indentured servitude, where people are essentially performing a "job", but getting paid through benefits instead of a salary. Again, my apologies if this is not the correct thread for this type of discussion.

I'm going to wager a bunch of those dropped were students or live in the rural areas of Maine where vocational schools and volunteer outlets are lacking.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ra9cXx1-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSSn3NddwFQ

Though the last Confederate holdouts didn't surrender until May.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

R. Mute posted:

Compassion isn't a limited resource, Trabisnikof.

It is when you're liberal!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Radbot posted:

Why don't you start doing it and see where it gets you?

I too agree that the SC should have accepted the ACA expansion.

I'm sorry we're all too busy white-knighting an 8 month old pregnant woman.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Radbot posted:

Understandable when you can't comprehend how America's social insurance programs work.

Well you see she already has insurance and is in and use to whatever system of doctors that insurance works with but I guess I'm just white knighting a pregnant woman for thinking that having to get new insurance and maybe new doctors with a month left in the pregnancy is a bad thing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Her husbands actions are the only reason she first got health insurance then is what is allowing her to get special treatment. If it wasn't for her husband's actions she wouldn't have gotten the special extension.

Really you all should just donate if you're that worried and overflowing with compassion: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/michael-t-slager-support-fund

lol, yes thinking his pregnant wife should take the help offered her is EXACTLY THE SAME as supporting the murderer husband

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Radbot posted:

I'm honestly more concerned about the man who was murdered than the inconvenience of an unrelated party. I own that.

Oh I'm sorry, I was too busy white knighting a pregnant woman to realize that this was an either/or situation and not a bunch of morons wanting to punish his wife for something she had nothing to do.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Glad we've moved the goalposts from "is it good policy to give special treatment to the families of criminal cops" to "should someone accept free insurance they get because they married a murderer."

I agree, she should take the deal. Doesn't make it a good deal for the rest of us.

Oh no a pregnant woman is getting health insurance, what an awful deal for the rest of us and totally not a chance to vent police outrage on a person who committed no crime.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Radbot posted:

It's funny how you choose to rage against a few posters on this forum, which helps no one, instead of raging against the SC legislature who are the only people who could have ensured this woman would have appropriate medical care regardless of whether her insurance was extended. Whether or not this woman will actually be covered is meaningless to you, it's more important to get those gotchas in.

Funny in a sad way, I mean.

Well the SC legislature isn't in this thread unironically saying 'white knighting a pregnant woman' so you'll have to do until someone buys them accounts.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Radbot posted:

It will, because of Medicaid. Thank goodness for that, huh?

Again, the argument isn't helping a woman or not - it's about keeping her on private insurance or letting her use public insurance. Apparently public insurance is literally nothing to some people!

Cancel your health insurance and figure out a new system of insurance and doctors in one month. Oh and be 8 loving months pregnant while doing so.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Radbot posted:

I agree that it's crap that it's so inconvenient to transfer doctors or insurance, though that's not really germane to this discussion.

The inconvenience of transferring doctors or insurance isn't germane to a 'discussion' about having a pregnant woman transfer doctors and/or insurance?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I'm a little amazed that someone could be this flamboyantly liberal and ignore the working poor so hard.

I dunno that's like liberalism 101.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

Looks like Rick Santorum's PAC is going to launch it's own network TV crime drama based around ISIS haxing teh gibson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ExyzEhJ_8Q

Patriot Voices: Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest [Coming this Fall on ABC]

:lol: child_waving_flag.avi even made it into this

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Karnegal posted:

Odds on the likely white dude being called a terrorist by the right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V3CfD8TPac

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

whydirt posted:

I'd hope we're smarter, because we sure aren't tastier.

Hey! Long pork is delicious :unsmigghh:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Jesus Christ you idiots the crab bucket is a metaphor, you aren't supposed to take it literally.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

What about continuing the cop's pay while he (hopefully) serves life in prison?

No one is going to agree with that except the racist nutbags that think the cop is totally innocent.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Why not? It's the same rationale that grants the changing of the rules to grant an extension of the healthcare until the child is born. "extending what she already has" is a direct quote. Someone with more empathy than you (my empathy is over 9000!!!!) could easily tell you how much of an rear end in a top hat you are for not wanting to help this poor woman.

Well just lemme trump this all right now and inform you that I am very in favor of full communism now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Yo can we get "Love me, I'm a liberal" embedded in this thread? It'd cut down on the need for trabs and radbot to post.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

I like the part where you quoted the text that would specifically exempt the ex-cop's wife from COBRA insurance.

http://cobrahealthinsurance.com/Questions/COBRA_faqs_Frequently_Asked_Questions.html#Who_is_entitled_to_benefits_under_COBRA

Qualifying Events for Spouses:

Voluntary or involuntary termination of the covered employee's employment for any reason other than gross misconduct

:laffo:

Alternative (and wrong) post:

Trabs doesn't think gunning an innocent black man is gross misconduct.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Congratulations Rand Paul on your brand new car!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Pohl posted:

Heh. Do you know what Something Awful has done to my Amazon page? I always forget that clicking on a random amazon link is going to bite me in the rear end.

You can edit your viewing history as well as which purchases to use for recommendations on Amazon FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

But not all Republicans are convinced of the tactical genius of this plan.

I'm amazed Massie is that lucid about defunding the ACA.

• Locked thread