Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

All it's doing is feeding the right's persecution complex, like they needed any help with that.

All I see is a Small Business Owner being unfairly bullied and discriminated against for her religious beliefs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If this becomes a trend, that'd actually be pretty huge. Its one thing for NASCAR/NCAA to issue statements about being inclusive and non discriminatory, but once the sporting events move out of state the pressure starts to be applied

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Are you trying to say that African-American culture and neighborhoods aren't different than white neighborhoods? Because I don't agree. I would not fit into a black neighborhood without serious time and investment.

Agreed. I don't have enough time in the day to both work and attend the various block parties, pick up basketball games, and break dance competitions

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pinball posted:

Are there any states that won't have issues with food and water in the coming years? Perhaps I should get out of Texas, if things are just going to get worse.

I can't speak much for the food sourcing, but NYC has one of the best systems in any major city for water supply

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Are members of Congress allowed to introduce legislation that would declare war on a country that the Executive Branch is presently engaged in diplomatic talks with?

They can declare war on whoever they want

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

How to make a cocktail, according to the US Department of Agriculture Forrest Service, 1974.

I cannot respect an agency that doesn't use 2oz pours for their cocktails

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Its pretty insane how last week tonight has some of the best journalism on any television program today

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My breakfast today was steak, a $100 bill, and a tall glass of the tears and sweat of poors

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Why would you mix scotch with Coke?

:shobon:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Did he store the corruption in his mini-fridge?

In other news, Fiorina knows what really caused the drought in California.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/6/carly-fiorina-blames-liberal-environmentalists-for/

The whole thing is terrific.

The candidate does not understand how rainfall works

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Man i should really start watching The Blacklist

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My phys ed was yoga

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Meg From Family Guy posted:

:smugdroid: cool goon flicks cigarette into puddle of gasoline leading to a car causing an exploision: youll have to make a new law saying fail aids is illegal to get rid of me

Lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

greatn posted:

Which makes them pointless toothless laws because no woman gets out of bed at 11 months and says "hmm, I don't want a baby after all, let's go partial birth abort this sucker".

I sure loving hope not because by that point the baby is practically going to burst out of her stomach alien style

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

zoux posted:

I know it's a crime for a citizen in probably all jurisdictions, but is filing a false report as a police officer actually a criminal matter or an administrative one?

Only if you can prove without a doubt that the officer knowingly and intentionally filed it as false, which is really hard to do

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lamentable dustman posted:

I did find it odd that CNN was showing the killing on a loop for like 15 minutes but they bleeped out the recorder cursing 'poo poo' as the shots were fired.

Welcome to the culture of violence that is the USA

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Radbot posted:

Like I said, this happens to people and families that don't involve murderers. Why is this relevant to this particular situation? Perhaps you should start a thread about COBRA?

Are we going to talk about the eligibility of his family for student loans post-innocent man murdering? What the gently caress is this stupid derail about?

It's relevant because someone pointed out that the reason the cop hasnt been fired yet (which is a valid thing to be concerned about) is because they're intentionally not firing him because it would cut his pregnant wife off from their healthcare

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I want this pregnant woman to lose her current medical insurance due to the actions of a man. I am a progressive and a feminist

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Unfortunately for the wife, empathy is an all or nothing commitment

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

I disagree. You won't find many points of contention about the case on this forum, since such incontrovertible evidence of guilt has been made public. How far the killer's state-sponsored benefits should extend, now that's a much more interesting political/ethical quandary (without the legions of strawmen anyway).

If the murder victim worked for the sanitation department and had a pregnant wife, would you object to the department keeping him on the books until she had the child so that she didnt lose the insurance she had at the time?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'd also like someone to answer this question: if the police department sets up a college fund for the kid and funnels public money into it, would objecting to that be "punishing" the wife? If so, why is an extension of healthcare benefits ok but not the college fund? What about a special pension for the wife if the officer goes to jail? How about extending the healthcare coverage until he's 1? Or 10? Where does "empathy" end and undeserved privilege begin? (I realize this is a hypothetical)

The difference is that everything you're listing is something being gifted, while what the issue was about is extending what she already has, is immediately in need of, and had been expecting to be able to use. If the police department upgraded her healthcare plan after her husband's arrest, this would be a very different discusssion.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

UIApplication posted:

This is the most concise summary of this viewpoint and I fail to see how people can disagree with it

I completely agree that the wife and child are victims of the husband! However, the state helping out victims is actually a good thing for it to do, and not a bad thing. I wish it could help more victims out, but I'd rather it help some victims than none at all

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

What about continuing the cop's pay while he (hopefully) serves life in prison? Also extending the health insurance out a year or hell, 26 years until the kid is an adult, would also meet your definition of "extending what she already has". Would you be ok with taxpayers footing those bills?

You seem to be misisng the extremely relevant point of the immediate need of the healthcare. If she had a massive mortgage payment due and the cop was paid weekly or monthly, then I have no problem with her getting another paycbeck before cutting her off. I just do not understand how you can equate 'keeping her current health insurance until her baby is born' with 'state paid healthcare for 26 years'

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Recycle Bin posted:

I was mulling over what it would mean to have a First Man as opposed to a First Lady under a Hillary presidency, and it occurred to me that I don't think there's anything legally preventing Chelsea from assuming the role. Thoughts?

She already has experience as the first lady, since Hillary had to abdicate the position while campaigning for Senate

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Slate Action posted:

Ginsberg will be gone before any of the conservative justices, most likely. All the more reason.

RBG will be the first human life ever recorded as sustained through sheer force of will

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I am 100% convinced that Walker is a golem that has been animated purely by Midwestern Republican Values

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Wasnt it CNN that cut them off?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Franco Potente posted:

It took me a moment to realize you meant Michigan's 5th congressional district, and not the UK's secret service.

Unless...:monocle:

The Manchester Candidate

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's the Democrat version of this look like, anyway?

Probably much less interesting since theres only one candidate

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

So say that you want to work to change some of the hosed up poo poo going on in this country? What is a good organization to start with as a volunteer? Particularly in Arizona, but national groups are also fine. I just want to get involved somehow and try to do what little I can to help change poo poo.

Is there a particular issue that you personally feel strongest about? Popular answers include Women's Rights, Criminal Justice, Environmental Policy, Education, etc. In other words, who do you want to help? Because as a volunteer you're going to have the best results working with a more focused organization

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Accelerationism actually makes a ton of sense once you stop seeing people who disagree with you politically as human beings and instead see them as brainwashed zombies who don't deserve to live a full and healthy life

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Someone should tell the Senate Foreign Relations Committee about Obama's nefarious plan because they just passed it unanimously, 19-0.

Do we know the actual content of the bill?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Just put Biden in different poses on everything

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Charles and David Koch are well known for their business success, their generous philanthropic efforts and for their focus on innovation in management. Some also know them for their activism in the political realm. All of these are important contributions to society. What is underappreciated is their passion for freedom and their commitment to ideas. Unlike many crony capitalists who troll the halls of Congress looking for favors, the Kochs have consistently lobbied against special-interest politics." ~ Rand Paul

"Son....I am disappoint."

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Amergin posted:

Citation needed: evidence that a minimum wage increase will improve quality of life and give a substantial increase to disposable income in the long run.

What is your metric for an improved quality of life?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I stopped reading the list after whoever made it started including racism against white people because lmfao

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

quote:

24) “The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t. But she is a typical white person…” -- Barack Obama

Clearly Both Parties Are Equally Racist

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

drakegrim posted:

http://news.mcdonalds.com/press-releases/mcdonald-s-usa-announces-new-employee-benefit-package-including-wage-increase-an-nyse-mcd-1185520

McDonalds did increase to wage to Corporate employees, but you have to remember that most of the restaurants are franchised and do not fall under Corporate McDonalds. That being said, franchise restaurants usually take a 15 to 20% hit on margin profits for paying low wage employees. Increasing the wage can cause a lot of financial instability to the franchise, so they would have to raise the amount of their product being sold. if you, raised the average wage of $7.25 to $15.00 , that is almost a 100% increase. If you pay 1 dollar for a large fry and apply the same dynamics to the new cost of the fry, that would be almost $2. Would you be willing to pay for the same fry of the same consistency and quantity but at a 100% increase? The average cost of a family of a father, mother, 3 kids cost about $28. the new cost could be over $55 now. see my point?

Ahahahahaha you have no idea how revenue works

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

"If my employees are making twice as much money, then we need twice as much turnover to pay them!!" -how Republicans actually think wages work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Vermont: America's Norway

• Locked thread