Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

For the latest in fraternitas delenda est, a pledge may have gotten thrown over a bridge at Clemson because he couldn't afford to buy the fraternity McDonald's breakfast. And one of the people charged with his death is the son of a Democratic representative from Delaware.

Vdbl bros that sure was a sigepic run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

:smith:
I mean the median income for the us is just shy of $52k which is still less than 15 years which was the point, 15 years isn't that long at all considering I've been married to my wife already for 1/2 that and I'm only turning 34 this month.

Well, kinda. Depends on what you mean when you say median income. Household is $53k, non-family household is $31k, and 25 years and older income earning individuals male and female is $35k. 2013 ACS 5 year estimates

These distinctions matter.$750k is an incredible amount of money for the vast majority of people, it's over 20 years of working income for the median individual.

For more information, use the US Census American Fact Finder! You can select many different variables to filter by including year, dataset, geography, economic characteristics, and many, many more!

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Relentlessboredomm posted:

This was the best interview and discussion of Snowden I've ever seen, thank you John Oliver. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M

Everyone should watch this.

It's really satisfying knowing that I've goatsed the NSA

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

"drakegrim" posted:

Fever dream whats it mean I don't know maybe it's blow

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

drakegrim posted:

$7.25 is a poo poo wage and it should be increase, but i think 15 is stretching it. I am not an economics major and cannot answer the question with accurate assessment, but i think 10 and hour is reasonable and fair.

Economics as a field doesn't really have anything to do with what's reasonable and fair, that's the realm of philosophy. Also an undergrad economics major also doesn't have any idea about that stuff. Undergrad economics programs are almost completely divorced from the academic field of economics, because if they actually trained economists no one would major in economics ever because it'd be really hard. To go to grad school for economics, it's generally recommended to major in math afaik. Also most actual economists aren't going to have anything to do with wages anyways, only some industrial organization economists would but plz correct if I'm wrong on that I'm not an economist. It's a difficult system to understand though so I don't begrudge people the misunderstanding.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Effectronica posted:

The fun part of economic orthodoxy is when it pretends that everyone could be a CEO and this would be a good thing.

I don't think orthodox economics says that in any way at all.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I've heard this but I don't know if its anything more than a platitude that came about after Vietnam. Didn't the US do an awful lot of regime changes during the cold war? Didn't the Soviets do likewise with Eastern Europe? Isn't there a fuckton of historical examples in general of an outside entity setting up puppet governments or otherwise dictating how things are run in their sphere of influence? I think its accurate to call it a lot more difficult and dirty than people would like to imagine, but taking a strict "can't ever work" approach seems sort of simplistic.

Likewise, I'm not really convinced that Iraq was "unwinnable" at the start (although everything about the idea was generally stupid, don't get me wrong). A lot of the terrible results came about since the Bush Admin. was generally awful at actually carrying out an occupation, from the "hailed as liberators" sentiment, appointing the living turd in human form, Paul Bremer, to manage Iraq, and otherwise doing basically nothing to prevent the establishment of an insurgency.

This may not be a very popular opinion.

Uhhh let's consult wikipedia because cold war regime changes aren't a thing I personally know a lot about, I'm a bit familiar with the resulting genocides and mass murders though.

Syria 1949: Overthrown after 4.5 months.
Iran 1953: Duh.
Guatemala 1954: Genocide, 200,000 dead.
Tibet 1955: Armed the anti-communist insurgency, Didn't End Well.
Indonesia: 1958: Anti communist rebels armed and funded by CIA. Within 10 years began a genocide, 1,000,000 dead
Cuba: Bay of Pigs et al.
Iraq 1960: Iraq didn't turn out too great.
DRCongo 1960: Mobutu Sese Seko took power with large amounts of western aid. DRCongo didn't turn out too well.
Vietnam: Duh

Could keep going but like drat dude at least google it

Edit it's pretty trashy to try and hand wave Vietnam as if it doesn't matter

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 20, 2015

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

Colleges are (supposedly) full of smart people, surely someone there understands they have something to bargain with.

When someone says that colleges have smart people they aren't talking about the administration.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah and when people dare to mention it's because way more people are in a large city than a tiny suburb of a small city, all of a sudden the whiner brigade goes donkeyshit over how unfair people are being to the white flight suburbs not being counted.

Nah it's more that you're using technical legal definitions people don't really use in casual conversation because it's weird. When people say Boston they're not referring only to 48 square miles.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

^^^ without knowing the lit, I'm gonna guess it's actually something geographers don't agree on and there's like fifteen different definitions all with fairly good arguments backing them up and positives and negatives to each definition. Welcome to the social sciences, it's not physics.

Nintendo Kid posted:

When one says they're from Boston though, you call bullshit if they clarify with "I'm from Lawrence" (a town 30 miles away and almost in NH). But that's what you're saying is acceptable for St Louis? Ridiculous. Hell, Providence, RI counts as being in "Boston", if you go with the maximalist definition of St Louis required to boost it over 2 million.

Also of note: tiny in land Boston packs in 650,000 people all on its own.

lmao no you don't. Well you probably do, but I don't. It's a mega weird move to be like "Oh yeah I know where you're from better than you do."

Personally I was actually thinking more of in terms of self identification, I don't think people from Providence, RI self identify as being from Boston. But for specific things the Boston CSA is probably very useful and a very acceptable definition of the city, probably in terms of economic influence and how the lives of those within the area are centered around Boston. I'm not a geographer though so ymmv. Not sure why you dislike that specific technical definition so much.

There's nothing wrong with a city crossing state lines fwiw.

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 28, 2015

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

edit: multiple discussions can happen at once jesus christ this isn't TVIV

Nintendo Kid posted:

People who are from the far-flung suburbs and exurbs may choose to claim they're from the city, but everyone knows they aren't. Don't give me this self-identification crap. Most people from the St Louis greater metropolitan area probably wouldn't claim to be from St Louis, especially when so many of them continue to actively leave the city or refuse to move back in after their parents/grandparents did. I'm sorry but you're not using any sort of technical definition from actual American geography when you're saying "its ok to say you're in Boston when you're dozens of miles outside even the inner suburbs/subcities".

Cities that actually cross state lines are very rare. Usually it's a situation like Bristol TN/VA or Texarkana TX/AR where it's a moderately sized town split across a land border such that the transition is close to seamless.

No hand waving allowed, why is self identification wrong or bad?

People leave the "city" for many reasons while still identifying as being in the city, because I'd argue they're moving from what they see as one neighborhood to another.

Cities as you define them, sure crossing state lines is rare. Broader definitions are gonna be much more common.

It'll take a minute because I don't know the search terms to use but I'll dig around for a definition, it's an interesting topic so let's see what pops up.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Self identification doesn't pay city taxes, and further no one takes you seriously when you live way out of the city all of your life but claim to be from there. Like it's straight up a thing you will get mocked for.

Most people don't see areas 20 miles outside the limits of the innermost suburbs to be the city.

They're not going to be more common, because people understand what cities are, and when they're not in them.

Frankly you seem to be really confusing like, the Australian usage of "city" for American usage. Most Australian "cities" have the city proper as tiny, no more than a few miles square central business district with minimal residents, but a measure of unified authority among the many independent towns and "suburbs" that make up the city. In American usage, such an arrangement is just called a metropolitan area (or if the population's small enough, micropolitan area).

Paying city taxes doesn't define a city. Not to say that it's unimportant, but it's for different reasons. Weird thing about self identification, they don't think they live all their life out of the city. Straight up they don't really get mocked for it.

Like if you want to talk about cities with that definition, that's totally fine. But then what the hell do people mean when they say they live in or are from Houston or Las Angeles?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, they really, really do in American law and geography. I don't care that someone who lives dozens of miles away and never even visits thinks they're from the city, everyone knows they aren't. It's like trying to brag about how you can totally lift 400 pounds, just not today because you're sick or other such boasts.

Houston's a huge rear end city with huge city limits. Same thing goes with LA. Most of the people from the independent cities/town bordering or sometimes enclaved within them will make a point to say they're from that specific place if you ask where they're from. For example, Spring Valley, TX people are often real snooty about being from there, even though they're just a former suburb that managed to resist the annexations that nor totally surround it. Same goes for LA: people from Beverly Hills let you know they're from Beverly Hills.

Like again, you seem to be trying to conflate cities with metro areas in a way American people don't usually do. But you're doing it in a way that matches up very well with how Australians use "city".

We're not talking about American law so I super don't care, and I disagree about geography. They don't need to "visit," because as far as they're concerned they're already in the city, so that's really kinda an improper way of thinking about it. If we are talking about American law you need to state that explicitly and then the discussion changes a whole heck of a lot.

So as far as I can tell all you care about for what defines a city is that it is a governmental entity called a City with city limits. I think that because all you seem to refer to are city limits and the characteristics of Houston and Boston are massively different, but you still consider everything within the city limits as The City, because definition. That's weirdly rigid and a fairly bad definition of a city that, I think counter to what you say, doesn't apply to much of how people think of cities, in America, not in Australia, you weirdo.

I don't think people have a sharp distinction based on if you step across an invisible line you are now inside the city, and if you step outside of the line you are now outside of the city. I think this looks even more ridiculous when you apply it to places like Anaconda, Montana, where there's hundreds of square miles of uninhabited forest that's technically city.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

I sincerely dispute that most people who have never been to a city consider themselves inside the city. Perhaps people who are severely uneducated and also never had to tell anyone their address do? Also, why would we not be talking about American law when we're talking Americans, and American cities in the American politics thread? Seriously are you foreign or something, is English a second language for you?

No, people in America really do understand that the city limits judge where the city stops and another place begins, in America, because that's how this country's system of government, society and history regard it. You seem to have a weird hang up about like the platonic ideal of the city but that's really quite irrelevant.

Anaconda may be legally termed a city, but your average person would consider it merely a small town and it'd only be important that you entered it if they had laws that you might be violating.

Again you seem to be just considering metropolitan area = city even though no person really thinks that.

So when people self identify as being from a city it doesn't matter, but when people "consider" what a city is now somehow it matters? And now we can ignore the city limits as defining the city?

So the city limits judge where the city stops except where they don't, and also what people consider being a city doesn't matter except where it does, cool good to know.

Law is a technical topic and technical language is used. Different words are used, words mean different things, and mixing technical discussion into normal discussion is loving stupid and I hate it.

You think weird and are a fairly well known shitposter on an internet forum, like, you post enough to have that reputation. I'm not sure you can speak to how normal people think.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Japan paid reparations, or at least large amounts of economic aid and low interest loans even if not marked specifically as reparations, to Red China as well as Taiwan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China%E2%80%93Japan_relations#1960s

Abe sucks, yeah, but lots of people seem to have a hair-trigger reflex of calling Japan a nation of revisionist war criminal Nazis basically any time the country is mentioned. I think basically every single East Asian country would be considered ultranationalist by most people's standards, Japan is probably the least bad of them, or at least is no worse than the others. From what I can tell the country is pretty racist but actually fairly non-nationalistic, even in TYOOL 2015 after years of lurching to the right a dude lit himself on fire in front of parliament to protest the proposed constitution change

Not Japanese and I don't study Japan or whatever, but I've done some reading on textbook and newspaper studies on remembrance of WW2. It's been a fairly big issue internally in Japan afaik and there's significant pressure to defend the actions of Japan in WW2. It's apparently a pretty partisan issue. Their reasoning for defending WW2 Japan is usually along the lines of the main international narrative being victor's justice and children are being taught to be ashamed of their country which is bad.

Japan hasn't really been A Team Player regarding their history and WW2, and they deserve to get poo poo for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

I love all the people talking about Japan whitewashing what happened in ww2 because it's not like we live in a country that has always done it's best to whitewash and pretend it really want as bad as some people say for things like our treatment of the native Americans, slavery, internment camps for japanese-americans in ww2, and all the other crap that we as a nation have done that we do our best to ignore or pretend it wasn't that bad, and that is how it is passed on to the next generation. Is Japan different because they didn't win and only the victors get to rewrite history?

Guess before every time I post about the atrocities one country has committed, I'll type out an exhaustive list of every atrocity committed by any country, then I'll be allowed to talk. Do I have to do all the central and south American tribes too? Those are gonna be hard...

• Locked thread