Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

duz posted:

Not linking to the full post in the March thread since it's locked and won't let me, but re: this

It's the usual thing of the city/state wanting taxi companies to follow the law, but with the added twist of the banks pressuring the politicians to enforce the law for $$$ reasons and Uber spamming out a form letter for its users. This is the response a tired intern makes to one of those form letters, nothing malicious.

Oh, internet outrage brigades. Woman sends corporate spam email to every legislator in Kansas, gets reddit to spin up to 11 when one of them tells her to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Business Gorillas posted:

Wouldn't this do literally nothing since it would just go right back into the sewage system to be recycled anyways?

I'm sorry but are you such a disgusting person that you want to drink toilet water?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's easier to argue that those are essential uses of water though, right?

Making sure you can get peaches and asparagus in December isn't really essential when compared to a megadrought.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

Speed build a nuke plant, except direct all steam to desalinization instead of generation. Repeat as necessary. Problem solved.

Seriously, the waste steam getting used for that on a carrier cranks out 400,000 gallons a day. Granted, California needs ~20 billion gallons a day (BotE) but that 400,000 was low pressure secondary steam and a fraction of the output. Someone check my math on this but back of the envelope, Wikipedia says high end of electric desalinization is 6 kWh per cubic meter (seems real low but w/e); call it 10 for ease and inefficiencies. A cubic meter of water is 264 gallons, keep the math simple and say 110 kWh gets you 250 gallons. Go with a low end Westinghouse 200 mWe SMR, that's 72 million kWh electric. 72m/10*250= 18 billion gallons of potable water an hour, almost all of what they currently use for residential, industrial, and agricultural.

Build a bigger dedicated facility (1 GW, minimum 4 active, implement a more efficient method) and you can export it to all the other states.

I get "we need osmotic purification for *insert place here*" when that random place has no infrastructure and is overrun with warlords and nutjobs. This is California. We can build this here with no problems, hell the 200 mW demo can be up in under 5 years even if they drag their feet. If you go flat out it can probably be up in a single year.

We know the loving solution. Do it!

I'm assuming that this is a joke because it started with "speed build a nuke plant" but do you happen to have the numbers for how many plants will be required to pump this water, how much brine is produced, or current state of soil salinization?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

We are talking about enough power to run a city, the consumption of the pumps is negligible compared to that. Soil state is an issue of "how do we use potable water", not "how to we get access to it". I know our treatment of farmland is abysmal, but that's really a separate topic since it isn't water availability or scarcity that drives that, it's farming methodology and crop selection.

Water is heavy. Pumping water from the coast at sea level throughout the state requires a lot of energy.
Desalination is not a solution, it's just a short delay of the problems.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

At this rate, it's probably better to do Quote of the Hour. And I thought Republicans loving HATED the Catholic Church?

They hate those weirdos in the robes and funny hats who talk about immigration reform, feeding the poor, and universal health care. But they aren't real Catholics. The real Catholic Church wear suits and sweater vests and preach the word of Jesus about the War on Christmas and not helping blah people.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Winner is Jew posted:

Why the gently caress would they?

We've literally called up the last country we were at war with, told them exactly what we were going to do and how to do it and then because of how much we spend on our military we won without even really trying. We basically took the main highway to Baghdad with huge neon signs on our tanks saying "come stop up fuckers" and won handily. And I'm not saying this like I have a war boner or anything either... It's terrifying that the US military could basically curb stomp any other nation on earth even if it was being lead by George loving McClellan.

Yeah, there's a difference between theatre victories and winning in a national strategy sense.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr Interweb posted:

Has this been posted? Cause it's glorious:

http://crooksandliars.com/2015/04/watch-pat-buchanan-school-hannity-iran

Hannity's such a twat.

"Hussein" :allears:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wulfolme posted:

I still don't understand how Jesus getting executed redeemed something. They always state this like it's such an obvious fact and I just do not understand why it is supposed to mean anything.

It's complicated.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If he needs a sugar rush so badly I honestly think I would look down on him less if he just ate sugar packets.

He could at least go for the ice cream cakes or something more interesting.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Is Walker Photoshopped in there? He seems especially out of place on the 3rd one.

That's just because he's surrounded by people who work for a living.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Aliquid posted:

Yep, even Dave Ramsey suggests blowing a buck a week on a ticket. That's the cost of like one pint of beer a month.

Yeah, there's a difference between "I buy a Powerball ticket once a week" and "I buy scratchers daily." I really didn't know until recently that some of those scratcher tickets are over $10 each.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

Any reason to think that this was anything more than a mischecked box?

That being said, if Hillary had done something similar, oh the fair and balanced reporting that would result.

Hillary or, say, Elizabeth Warren?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr Interweb posted:

I accept the fact that Cruz may actually be a supremely knowledgeable person (dude did go to Harvard and Princeton, after all) but my problem has always been that none of that poo poo matters when you decide to become a Republican presidential nominee*. I mean, what's the benefit of getting a PhD in geology from MIT if you still happen to be an avowed flat Earther?

*or really just anything related to being a Republican in general
Paul Nitze went to Harvard. McGeorge Bundy and Samuel Huntington went to Yale and taught at Harvard. Walt Rostow went to Yale and was a Rhodes Scholar.
Paul Wolfowitz went to Cornell. Rumsfeld went to Princeton. Paul Bremer went to Harvard and Yale.

I'm not sure what an Ivy Leage education actually means but it sure doesn't mean that the person is in any way competent.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vahakyla posted:

I love how this was spun in fox:

From the article it sounds like a rogue state trooper let some passersby handle the State Capitol flags.

Every right wing article is saying that. WND, Gateway Pundit, Fox, etc.
The comments sections are great. Even though the video clearly shows a state worker removing the flag they're still whooping and hollering in praise of the patriotic policeman who tore it down with the help of the tea party patriots. These people are literally delusional.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

Here's an idea, what if all the poor people just loving died? Just like, and hear me out, what if they just all loving starved to death and died?

They had better do it and decrease the surplus population.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

The comedy of course being that that tiny fish is diet of all the fish we like to eat.

Salmon fishermen are probably communists anyway.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

any word on Ward 2 out of Ferguson yet? I'm interested to see how that race shakes out

The I <3 Ferguson guy won.

Two black candidates won other races.

quote:

For the first time in Ferguson’s 120-year history, the City Council will have three African-American members, but even so, Tuesday’s election was less than a clear victory for the throngs of volunteers who poured into the city in a last-minute push to sway voters.

Perhaps the most significant aspect of the results for Ferguson City Council was that 30 percent of the city’s 12,738 registered voters cast ballots — more than double the typical turnout.

The high turnout did not favor two candidates supported by protesters: Bob Hudgins and Lee Smith.

Hudgins, a self-identified protester and independent journalist, who ran in the 2nd Ward, lost to former Mayor Brian Fletcher, founder of the “I love Ferguson” campaign.

“I was being portrayed by the media as an establishment candidate and the old guard,” Fletcher said. “I guess the signal was sent tonight that this old dog has a few tricks ... Experience isn’t a bad thing. It can be a good thing.”

Smith, a retiree, ran against Wesley Bell in the 3rd Ward. Bell is a municipal court judge in Velda City.

In the days leading up to the election, dozens of volunteers canvassed neighborhoods for Bell and Smith. The two were supported by a coalition of groups, including Missourians Organizing for Reform and Empowerment, the Organization for Black Struggle, the Working Families Party and the Service Employees International Union.

Patricia Bynes, the outspoken Democratic committeewoman of Ferguson Township, managed the campaigns of both the men.

Ferguson’s population is 67 percent black, but as of Tuesday, just one of six council seats was held by an African-American: Dwayne James in the 2nd Ward.

In the 1st Ward, Ella Jones, the other soon-to-be African-American council member, garnered nearly 50 percent of the vote in a four-way race. Jones raised more money than all of her opponents combined, thanks in part to a $7,000 donation from the Communication Workers of America.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Amergin posted:

Cop is being charged with murder. I don't see anything wrong with this picture - the justice system is working as designed.

If there weren't a third party recording the events the cop's statement would have been taken at face value. The system is not supposed to work by the chance presence of a cameraman.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

My Imaginary GF posted:

Thing is, it doesn't matter how much in economic activity it generates. Thats such an aughties way of thinking. Is it revenue neutral?

Why is this not probatable?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

Officer Slager has been fired, per the North Charleston mayor

Any statement from the union?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you had to pick the best position within a Hillary whitehouse for Rahm, what would you pick?

Doorman.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gravel Gravy posted:

...union? In South Carolina?

https://www.sspba.org/gen/chapters/South_Carolina_Division_14.jsp

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Amergin posted:

Most homeless have mental health issues, why would you hand them guns?

For defense against all the NRA members with mental health issues.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

Life Survival Class should be a central part of a high school's curriculum and there should be Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior level classes, each one a required pass to graduate.

Which course gets cut?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

All of the hard sciences become elective beyond a mandatory Freshman general knowledge course

Indeed. The Republic has no need of scientists.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

if you like your science class, you can keep your science class, have your high school experience specifically tailored to make you better at science, and graduate with a degree that says you are good at science. And if you don't like science, gently caress it.

Yes, let's make optional the courses that are most connected with critical thinking, problem solving, and fact-based analysis of the world around us so we can have "life survival."

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I would honestly cut low-level computer classes. Higher-level CS can stay (though I've only ever heard of rich white suburban schools offering it) but the vast majority of people nowadays are semi-computer-literate and you could very easily roll a basic "how to use Microsoft Office" (which is all those classes ever were in my experience, just dragged out and repeated for a year) into that life survival class.

Information and library skills are more important now than ever before. I don't know what kind of students you work with but the idea that kids just magically know how to use computers in a productive way is nonsense. I've had to spend 40 minutes getting kids to make simple graphs in Excel, much less use spreadsheets for computation.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

joeburz posted:

logic courses aren't a part of every schools curriculum and its really hosed up

The material can easily and appropriately be integrated into science, math, and language arts.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

site posted:

Yeah phys ed was a complete joke at my school. Got more exercise walking the hallways between classes.

Half my English classes were just reading lovely old lit books so those can go too.

Yeah, a good solution to poorly structured courses is to remove them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RuanGacho posted:

I'm as goony as the next guy but the idea of goons being against PE is so :goonsay: it can't possibly considered reasonable.

Goon school

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bobby Digital posted:

All PE classes now consist only of biathlon.

All 9th graders must survive the Badwater run to advance.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tender Bender posted:

Nutrition and actual exercise education would go a long way further than forcing kids to play kickball and to walk/trot around a track. I hated PE and was out of shape as a kid. Only well after high school did I discover I enjoyed working out and tracking my gains.

Yes. Having PE teachers who are trained and actually put in thought and effort into instructing children versus someone who tosses out a nerf soccer ball and pulls out a magazine to fulfill his requirement that coaches be full time teachers would be a start.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Edit: ^^ Are you for loving real?

No, he's a gimmick poster even worse than Amerign.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

whitey delenda est posted:

150 new posts huh I wonder who died...

Oh

A black man. Which is why 150 posts have been about a white woman.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

whitey delenda est posted:

How does one "use" a bible? Like... to prop up a wobbly table leg, or maybe to kill bugs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It's better than nothing, but as someone who's been on both a Cadillac public worker plan and state Medicaid, there's a pretty big difference in flexibility, ease of use and face time with physicians. That little tyke will need all the help he can get, what with his lack of a proper, non-murderous father figure.

The kid would probably be better off being raised by people who don't require an oppressive police state for their personal comfort.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Okay, maybe he could have used a course on how to murder and frame minorities better.

Step 1: eliminate witnesses.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Isn't Ways and Means one of the plum assignments because of all the bribes contributions it entails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

Walker kind of concerns me if he gets to the general, because he's so dull and unremarkable that he might not gently caress up. He's like a much more well-funded Tim Pawlenty.

Who?

• Locked thread