Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Looks like a business is choosing to use the not-at-all-discriminatory Indiana RFRA to discriminate.

Sorry, the gays of Walkerton, Indiana, you will not be able to cater your weddings with pizza.

RawStory has a picture of the owner. She is basically indiana.jpeg

CommieGIR posted:

Seriously, just add an amendment to the law that requires business who wish to discriminate to have a sign.

And watch them burn to the ground.
They posted signs in Jim Crow south. Notice how that turned out. And if you want to argue it's different, consider Chik-fil-a being unambiguous about their hate and consider how that ended up.

Basically, you are underestimating how hateful people are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

I would be very surprised if this bill isn't neutered into zero effect or repealed in the upcoming days. I don't think supporters thought that there would be this much backlash.

My bet is a superficial "clarification" that doesn't change the discriminatory nature of the law.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Again, Chic Fil A quietly said they were withdrawing support and funding for groups like the AFA and others. While I'm sure they are still donating under the table, their latest financial transparency reports show them only funding their own Foundations and no others.

They did it as quietly as possible so as not to spook the Conservative crowd that was throwing money at them.

We had 100+ years of "no colored allowed" signs being fine and dandy, I don't see posting a "no gays allowed" sign having any more of an impact.

And as to Chik-fil-a they still saw a robust and continuing bump of support for being anti-gay even if they did stop directly funding anti-gay groups.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Anyways the takeaway from all this is don't support Big Gay, support your small, local gays instead

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So the MAC won't be playing in Indianapolis

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12594299/mac-hold-championships-meetings-indiana

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

This has really got to piss off the city as they specifically passed anti-gay discrimination laws.

I work for a company that sells sports swag here in Indianapolis; I learned about it because I heard the boss screaming about it through the wall and googled to see

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Internet Webguy posted:

The best way to protest this would be to make pizza the traditional food of gay weddings. Maybe it could become the stereotypical gay food.

I've been calling for it to be a thing that gay weddings have hookahs full of pot for a while now. They would be the gay wedding what an open bar is to irish ones. A pizza buffet would go along well with that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

The thing I think you're missing here is that unlike things like systemic racism, incarceration rates and so on, things like lynching and exclusionary signs are Clear and Obvious signs of racism to even the most ignorant of folks.

The thing you are missing is that the proposal is that they put up those same exclusionary signs that are Clear and Obvious signs of bigotry even the most ignorant of folks and somehow thinking this clear and obvious sign will be different from that clear and obvious sign. Try reading the exchange before snarking

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So we have an exclusive on the "new" RFRA

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/04/01/indiana-rfra-deal-sets-limited-protections-for-lgbt/70766920/

Key points:

1) the bill was literally written by "business leaders". The Indiana senate went to them, had them outline what they wanted, wrote it, and then went back to let them vet the language. This is also with Pence describing himself as CEO of the state and the Republicans denouncing the bill on the grounds that it is governments job to help businesses and that they should have had "business leaders" write the bill the first time. So yeah, flat out channeling Mussolini.

2) offered protections to customers, none to employees, which was one of the big points made of the existing bill. I'm shocked that "business leaders" made a point to preserve their expanded power over employees, shocked I tell you.

3) does appear to drop a heavy protection against discrimination for customers on for profit businesses so that good

4) this is preliminary language, yet to be studied by lawyers, so we will see

5) the leak to the star could be an attempt to disrupt the change; we'll see how this shakes out because it still needs to pass committee, senate, house, and pence.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

That's funny considering the people who helped write the bill:

The new one is written by the "business leaders", the original version (the one in that picture) that is presently law was written by a social conservative bill mill with Eric Miller and the rest signing off on it before it went to the state GOP and got signed into law. Sorry if I was unclear there

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

The writeup appears to suggest that only churches and other religious non-profits are allowed to discriminate but that businesses providing services used in religious ceremonies cannot discriminate. Since that's the reason the right is pushing these new RFRA bills, expect a violent backlash from the Tea Party if that's what the final language ends up being.

Yeah, and on top of that Steve Deace, the go-to-kiss-the-ring-grand-high-poobah of Iowa talk radio has declared that the Indiana RFRA should be a "litmus test" for the Iowa GOP primary.

poo poo is going to get nuts

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

So in the end, it was definitely the business interests that made the difference and not the human rights interests. I guess I'm not surprised, but I hope people there remember that if they think about bragging about how they pulled it together to keep this law from happening.

The indy Dems have been pushing the "it's all about business, listen to business" line so I don't think that will be an issue.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

No no, you were clear, I didn't read it properly. :doh:

No worries, I'm gonna use it to brings up the spin off of ALEC, ACCE, (which those shitheads are a part of) that generated the bill
http://www.ibj.com/articles/52347-secretive-bill-mill-gets-local-foothold

ACCE writes for smaller jurisdictions and pushes more of a social conservative edge. Plus ~*~rebranding~*~

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

baw posted:

I'd love for American conservatism to finally tear itself apart on the hill of gay rights. It would be almost poetic.

Drop the "birches and churches", go straight paleoconservative and I could see myself potentially voting for them (depending on the specifics of the platform).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

joeburz posted:

haha what, paleoconservatism still has tons of poo poo in it dude

Then I suppose my background in it is insufficient, my exposure to it has been the post 9/11 "the wars are stupid, labor is needed to balance the power of capital, global warming is real and serious, public programs are important and need to be sensibly designed, racism is still a thing that needs to be fought, we need serious Justice reform, invest in infrastructure" type

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Dr. Tough posted:

Paleoconservatism is like Barry Goldwater types. You're thinking of something along the lines of Christian Democracy or something.

Ah, see I was of the impression the Barry Goldwater types were the "birches and churches". The American Conservative spills most of its ink denouncing those and it is my window into paleoconservative.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

baw posted:

Like, the US is becoming less white. That's not really disputable.

History shows that "White" is really malleable. Wouldn't take a lot for Hispanics to follow the path of the Irish, Italians, Polish, Greeks, Roma, or Turks and become white

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

computer parts posted:

They tried that 70 years ago and it didn't work.

Like, literally the whole theme of Hispanics during the Civil Rights movement was to say "we're not just another white subclass, we're our own thing".

Chicano rights was more about land grants, farm labor, and combatting Mexican stereotypes than "hey we aren't white, we have our own unified identity", and Hispanic encompasses more than just Mexican, who were the driving force behind that. But I suppose we'll see. I look at Ted Cruz and see him and his stances and see what I'm talking about.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

D1Sergo posted:

He's a Democrat, you're a left-Democrat.

I was counting UHC as the public programs for whatever it matters

JT Jag posted:

- the wars are stupid
- labor is needed to balance the power of capital
- global warming is real and serious
- public programs are important and need to be sensibly designed
- racism is still a thing that needs to be fought
- we need serious Justice reform
- invest in infrastructure
- support for universal healthcare
- anti-intervention

Congratulations, you're a leftist.

I also support trolling and sarcasm as our primary means of national discourse, so I think that makes me LFM3W4EVAR

DoJ has formally charged Senator Menendez (D-NJ) with corruption. Let the conspiracy theories fly

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 1, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

If this is an April Fool's prank there will be a lot of blowback, if it is real, holy poo poo that's a hell of a win by labor organizers

McDonald's to Raise Hourly Pay for 90,000 Workers

quote:

McDonald’s Corp. plans to raise pay by more than 10% and add benefits like paid vacation for workers at U.S. restaurants it operates, an effort to rejuvenate the struggling fast-food giant that offers fresh evidence of rising wage pressure in the American labor market.

Starting July 1, McDonald’s will pay at least $1 per hour more than the local legal minimum wage for employees at the roughly 1,500 restaurants it owns in the U.S. The increase, which McDonald’s said will apply to some 90,000 workers at all levels of experience and rank, will lift the average hourly rate for its U.S. restaurant employees to $9.90 on July 1 and more than $10 by the end of 2016, from $9.01 currently. McDonald’s also will enable workers after a year of employment to accrue up to five days of paid time-off annually.

The changes come amid mounting criticism from labor groups over wages and conditions at McDonald’s and other fast-food chains. The move doesn’t apply to employees of the franchisees who operate nearly 90% of the 14,350 U.S. McDonald’s—a fact critics may seize on. McDonald’s says franchisees are free to set their own pay policies. The company said it does plan to make subsidies for some education costs available to all U.S. workers as part of its plan.

McDonald’s Chief Executive Steve Easterbrook, who took over on March 1, said the policy is a response to employee surveys and is central to his plans to revive sales after more than two years of declines. “What we need to underpin that is highly motivated teams in our restaurants,” he said in an interview. “Motivated teams deliver better customer service and delivering better customer service in our restaurants is clearly going to be a vital part of our turnaround.”

The move follows similar efforts by other major U.S. employers including Wal-Mart Stores Inc., which is raising hourly pay for 500,000 workers to at least $10 next year, and reflects wider public pressures over income inequality as well as intensifying competition for low-skilled workers.

From a year earlier, average hourly earnings for non-manager employees at limited-service restaurants like McDonald’s rose 3.5% in January to $9.54 an hour, according to Labor Department data, well above 2.2% pace for all private-sector workers.

Historically, stronger pay increases are somewhat unusual at this stage in the business cycle for lower-skilled workers, who typically are the last to see better wage gains. The increases could reflect some payback after several years of wages barely keeping pace with inflation, or could indicate that skilled-workers who resorted to restaurant jobs in the economic downturn are now seeking better paying work.

Better pay among lower-skilled workers has the potential to “bubble up” through the economy, said Patrick O’Keefe, an economist at CohnReznick LLP. Raising starting wage will likely boost wages of others within a given company. Also, more money in workers’ pockets should provide a boost to consumer spending and aid overall economic expansion.

“The underlying motivation is a response to market conditions,” said Mr. O’Keefe, a former Labor Department official. “The firms that have announced very publicly that they’re raising their entry wage are signaling that to attract the quality of labor they’re looking for, they have to be more competitive.”

The federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour hasn’t increased since 2009, although 29 states have set minimums above the federal level, as have cities such as San Francisco, which requires pay of at least $11.05 an hour. Efforts in Congress to increase the pay floor stalled last year. But more large employers raising wages could set a “de facto” minimum wage that is higher than the federal floor, said University of Michigan economist Donald Grimes.
McDonald’s announcement is unlikely to satisfy its strongest critics, who have been calling for much larger increases and demanding the company take responsibility for pay and other policies at its franchisees. Fast Food Forward, a group backed by the Service Employees International Union, has helped organize nationwide protests at McDonald’s and other chains demanding a $15 hourly minimum and the right to form a union without employer backlash. The next round of protests is scheduled for April 15, according to organizers. McDonald’s said the protests weren’t a factor in its decision.

The move could put pressure for similar increases on McDonald’s franchisees, powerful stakeholders that the company carefully manages its relationships with. McDonald’s sets many requirements in agreements with its franchisees but doesn’t govern their wages and benefits, and it is currently fighting complaints by the National Labor Relations Board’s general counsel last year that claim McDonald’s has sufficient control over its franchisees’ operations to make it a joint employer responsible for the rights of franchisees’ workers.

Mr. Easterbrook said the franchisees are “experts…at setting the right pay levels in their local markets.” Asked if McDonald’s would consider requiring them to enhance pay or benefits in future contracts, he said “absolutely not.”

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Memories Pizza has been receiving death, arson, and bomb threats all day and is presently saying they may never open again, thus reminding us all that the real ideology of internet activists is "it's ok when I do it"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zelder posted:

Oh man, internet death threats. That's a serious thing and definitely not something that has happened to literally every single person on the internet.

Edit: this is too sarcastic but I'm always wary about internet death threats as a sign of "someone has gone too far". I get death threats when I beat people in Street Fighter or post my opinions on Twitter, it's just a rather repugnant outcome of internet anonymity.
If the past several months have been a push against it being done to "your side" you drat well don't get to do it to "their side" Actions are either right or they are wrong, they don't magically become ok because you are the one doing it, and the belief they do is one of the major reasons why the world is in the shape it is.

http://www.nuvo.net/FoodDrinkBlog/archives/2015/04/01/restaurant-owners-freeze-out-mister-ice

quote:

One of the most outrageous parts of the passage of RFRA is it gave huge swaths of people who have never visited the state a blanket reason not to even try. For the hospitality business, this kind of legislation (and the horrific PR storm that followed) is nothing short of a nightmare. A lot of owners have expressed frustration over the bill because they've worked so hard to make sure the local dining and beverage scene welcomes all, and everyone knows they're welcome. We chronicled some of our favorite responses to RFRA on Nuvo.net/food, from the simple hand-drawn signs to professionally-applied, permanent window decals. The reply from the majority of the community has simply been a succinct "No."

In fact, there has been only one confirmed restaurant owner who has publicly supported the bill: Big Apple Bagels in Brownsburg's franchise owner posted a bold and permanent whiteboard message of support for "our governor Mike Pence," right where patrons could see it moments after they paid. The sign has been erased, it seems, and the corporate office is investigating this bold stance of toroidal carbohydrates in favor of religious liberty, which, ironically, came to the United States via the Polish-Jews that Big Apple's owners are now legally allowed to deny service if it conflicts with their own religious beliefs.

And as it turns out, the author of the bill, Scott Schneider, is the Vice President of Sales for Mister Ice, one of Indiana's largest dealers of ice making equipment and supplies. So the owners of these businesses are ditching their Mister Ice makers in response, hitting the Indiana lawmakers the only place where they still seem to have some feeling: their wallets.

We first heard of the movement to ditch Mister Ice from Some Guys Pizza general manager Charley Sterne.

"I had heard about Mister Ice through social media. So I did some of my own research and found that Schneider was the author [of SB101]," he said. Sterne shared this information with Some Guys owners Keith and Nancy Carey, and they're now in the process of doing the right thing with that information: getting rid of all their machines. And they're far from the only ones.

Sterne confirmed one major player in the Mister Ice movement is Martha Hoover, whose lineup of restaurants include Cafe Patachou, Napolese, Petite Chou and Public Greens. Between Hoover and the Careys, we're already talking about a loss of at least 12 restaurants for the ice vendor.

Annie Zoll at Zesco, our local restaurant supplier, also confirmed that she knew of a few more owners getting rid of their Mister Ice machines, but was unable to confirm exactly whom all is planning to switch businesses.

The reaction is one of revenge, no doubt, after unnecessary legislation like RFRA threatens to bleed our economic viability dry. According to Sterne, Schneider's father, the company's owner, is pulling out every last desperate stop to keep his own business from failing. Unfortunately, he is apparently doing so by trying to re-explain the bill to his customers.

There is some good news in all this though: some non-hateful, non-damaging-legislation-writing ice dealers are about to have an absolute explosion of business.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

radical meme posted:

Two of the most worthless uses of water are golf courses and graveyards. Golf is a dying activity anyway, just stop this stupid poo poo already.

And as for graveyards. we've had a solution to that since 1839

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

site posted:

Already? Didn't he just support the bill like yesterday, or two days ago?

Saying that people shouldn't do something is a far cry from saying "We should make it a law that people can't do a thing". Pence has been saying "People shouldn't discriminate" as his defense of this bill

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This was apparently discussed in the drug legalization thread when the topic first came up in February, but it's come up again today and it seems worth bringing up in this thread...

Colorado lawmakers have been forced to send a question to the voters in order to hold on to the $60 million of marijuana taxes because their Taxpayer's Bill of Rights requires the state to send refund checks to all citizens if the state raises more money than they budget for, even though the marijuana tax itself has not been quite as successful as was originally thought.

Related: http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Willie-Nelson-to-launch-his-own-brand-of-weed-297843711.html

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Speed build a nuke plant, except direct all steam to desalinization instead of generation. Repeat as necessary. Problem solved.

Seriously, the waste steam getting used for that on a carrier cranks out 400,000 gallons a day. Granted, California needs ~20 billion gallons a day (BotE) but that 400,000 was low pressure secondary steam and a fraction of the output. Someone check my math on this but back of the envelope, Wikipedia says high end of electric desalinization is 6 kWh per cubic meter (seems real low but w/e); call it 10 for ease and inefficiencies. A cubic meter of water is 264 gallons, keep the math simple and say 110 kWh gets you 250 gallons. Go with a low end Westinghouse 200 mWe SMR, that's 72 million kWh electric. 72m/10*250= 18 billion gallons of potable water an hour, almost all of what they currently use for residential, industrial, and agricultural.

Build a bigger dedicated facility (1 GW, minimum 4 active, implement a more efficient method) and you can export it to all the other states.

I get "we need osmotic purification for *insert place here*" when that random place has no infrastructure and is overrun with warlords and nutjobs. This is California. We can build this here with no problems, hell the 200 mW demo can be up in under 5 years even if they drag their feet. If you go flat out it can probably be up in a single year.

We know the loving solution. Do it!

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 2, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

California.txt

They are so busy shutting down ALL their nuclear plants (Fukushima :qq:) to replace them with....

Solar and Natural Gas. Solar I am okay with, but Natural Gas is such a irony considering how environmentally damaging is.

"We know the solution to the problem by we don't want to do it so we will wait until it is a catastrophe and then still drag our feet" is basically post Carter America in a nutshell and it is the number 1 thing that pisses me off day in and day out. All the poo poo we fight over, we know how to solve it. We just don't because, well, because. And none of it is hard. It is a lot of work, and in some cases expensive, but it isn't hard. Going to the moon, that was hard. We had to invent whole new branches of science to do that. Unfucking our land use policies to knock down barriers to urban growth is easy, it's a series of procedural votes by a few dozen fools to repeal existing rules.

We could fix all the things we currently rage over, start addressing real issues, and unlock and amazing period of better standards of living, but we just don't want to. We'd rather keep trying to ban gay people or something. It's infuriating.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm assuming that this is a joke because it started with "speed build a nuke plant" but do you happen to have the numbers for how many plants will be required to pump this water, how much brine is produced, or current state of soil salinization?

We are talking about enough power to run a city, the consumption of the pumps is negligible compared to that. Soil state is an issue of "how do we use potable water", not "how to we get access to it". I know our treatment of farmland is abysmal, but that's really a separate topic since it isn't water availability or scarcity that drives that, it's farming methodology and crop selection.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Sundae posted:

The math may be okay but I believe you're missing an important factor: energy generation isn't your bottleneck, but flow rate. You're going to run into flow issues more than energy issues. In order to generate your proposed 18B gallons of water per hour, you're talking a volumetric flow rate of 5 million gallons of water per second through your system. I'm not exactly an expert here, but every reference I'm finding for municipal or military water pumping applications measures their pumping rates in the ranges from hundreds to thousands of gallons per minute, not second. Barring some crazy tech shift, you're going to need an enormous number of said plants to provide equivalent output to your proposed output. Your flow rate is going to be bottlenecked either by pressure or by inlet/outlet diameter for either case, and each of these cases has completely different design issues you have to deal with as well.

Edit: Take your carrier example: 400,000 gallons per day is 4.6 gallons per second. You need, for California, 231000 per second.

Yeah, I didn't consider that. Though that's a logistics problem and one that can be alleviated by a different system design that what I jotted down in 5 minutes. We don't need a miracle breakthrough, we just need to use our existing technology better.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Press conferences later today probably.

Yeah it started at 1, it's happening now

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Obama will speak on Iran in 10 minutes

Edit: Kerry's comments are that the P5+1 and Iran "now have parameters to resolve major issues on [Iran's] nuclear program"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Relentlessboredomm posted:

No the Iranians probably just used the fact that the US congress is insane and unreliable to extract better concessions from the Europeans.

That's exactly what they did, reports were they used it to apply pressure to France to get them to ease up

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, there's a difference between theatre victories and winning in a national strategy sense.

The problem with saying we lost in failing to achieve our strategic goals is that there weren't any real strategic goals in attacking Iraq. Like even the nominal ones of "hinder access to resources by extremist groups" were undone by the fact we want to war, not by anything done to us. It was pretty much just "gently caress it, let's fight", not "war is the continuation of politics by other means".

I mean I honestly cannot come up with a national goal that wasn't lost as soon as we decided to go in, versus one lost by what those we were working against did. If anyone can think of one I'd be interested in hearing their case.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 2, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radbot posted:

Who would've guessed people on the Internet would do something like that???

It's organized by Glenn Beck's crew at TheBlaze

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mauser posted:

Do the Republicans have anyone with any credibility in foreign relations? I recently watched the Obama and Romney debates (thanks to talk about them in this thread) because I didn't get a chance to see them the first time around and there wasn't a single proposal of any substance from Romney ("I'm gonna hold China accountable!").

well, usually your experts in foreign policy are the guys from the previous administration who got to do some of it, so...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Grouchio posted:

So I've been reading William Greider's One World: Ready or Not 1996 novel on the Loony Global Economic Revolution, and my dad's been reading novels about the threat of corporate states in Blade Runner style.

I'm wondering three things: When will the current global economic revolution (multi-corporations and all) reach it's expiration date, if it has one? Is the US destined to become a corporate state in which interests are served only to the oligarchs? How hosed is the future of our middle class?

in order, long after you are dead, it always has been, and completely

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I'm 675 posts behind but I just want to point out "President Rand Paul" is an anagram of "A ripened turd's plan"

Have a nice week

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nonsense posted:

There will be a timely article stating that Scott had been jailed on unrelated charges at some point in his 55 year life, that will be the selection on front page, and a mention that he had no outstanding warrants at the end of the article on the inside of the paper.

That would be the New York Times version, yes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0

quote:

Mr. Scott had been arrested about 10 times, mostly for failing to pay child support or show up for court hearings, according to The Post and Courier newspaper of Charleston. He was arrested in 1987 on an assault and battery charge and convicted in 1991 of possession of a bludgeon, the newspaper reported. Mr. Scott’s brother, Anthony, said he believed Mr. Scott had fled from the police on Saturday because he owed child support.

“He has four children; he doesn’t have some type of big violent past or arrest record,” said Chris Stewart, a lawyer for Mr. Scott’s family. “He had a job; he was engaged. He had back child support and didn’t want to go to jail for back child support.”

Not particularly relevant to clear vied evidence of the cop not under threat, shooting someone in the back, planting a weapon on the victim, not performing any medical care, and lying about all of the above in the report, but don't worry - the NYT is there to tell you that black man was guilty of something

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Congratulations, MIGF.

any word on Ward 2 out of Ferguson yet? I'm interested to see how that race shakes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “It would be something more along the lines of what President Clinton did in December 1998 during Operation Desert Fox. Several days air and naval bombing against Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction facilities for exactly the same kind of behavior. For interfering with weapons inspectors and for disobeying Security Council resolutions. All we’re asking is that the president simply be as tough as in the protection of America’s national security interest as Bill Clinton was.” ~ Tom Cotton

I'm reminded of Krauthammer's "what harm would bombing do?" suggestion for handling Iran.

Joementum posted:

He's rather infamous for being sober for 28 years now, just FYI.

Well, public persona at least. I have a buddy who was a WH marine guard there, he had some stories about the stuff that goes on there, and I have no reason to doubt him. Among them was that Bush would from time to time come down to the station for them with beer to drink and bullshit, that in private he was a blast to be around.

Also Rumsfeld apparently has horrible breath. Like "just ate a plate of poo poo" horrible.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 8, 2015

• Locked thread