Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

So this guy seems to think Kansas' trickle-down policies have been an indisputable success:

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/033115-745978-kansas-job-creating-machine-shows-that-tax-cuts-work.htm

Worth mentioning is what was not mentioned: any talk about the magic of tax cuts increasing revenues.

Note its sources are the Kansas Policy Institute that is funded by the Koch bros. So this is almost certainly bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

A Winner is Jew posted:

Isn't this the rag that Ramirez does cartoons for, or was that Branco?

Yes. Also the paper responsible for this all-time great statement from 2009:

IBD posted:

People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

colonel_korn posted:

Reminds me of Powell holding up the yellowcake.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

colonel_korn posted:

No loving way. Did they actually say this. Sweet God.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rexicon1 posted:

No loving way. Did they actually say this. Sweet God.

Extra fun is the time when Stephen Hawking was visiting the US and had a health issue, and rather than go to a US hospital he flew directly back to the UK.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Mr Interweb posted:

So this guy seems to think Kansas' trickle-down policies have been an indisputable success:

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/033115-745978-kansas-job-creating-machine-shows-that-tax-cuts-work.htm

Worth mentioning is what was not mentioned: any talk about the magic of tax cuts increasing revenues.

Kansas government and social structure is crippled, the only teat to slake the thirst of the masses is from abusive oligarchs. The rich have gotten supremely richer while disabling any mobility.

I don't know what you are talking about, Kansas WAS a massive success.

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

Sir Tonk posted:

Who said it wasn't?

TheBlaze might be wrong about almost everything, but they aren't cartoonish supervillains.

Alternatively, they don't have the balls.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Kansas City Star's take on the job numbers:

quote:

Gov. Sam Brownback recently said Kansas had created more than 59,000 new private sector jobs since he took office four years ago.

It’s a completely accurate statement.

It’s also highly misleading.

Using the most telling yardstick — the percentage rate of job growth — Kansas actually trailed more than two-thirds of the nation’s states in adding private sector employment during Brownback’s first term.

More notably, Kansas has created jobs at an even slower pace since the massive income tax cuts that Brownback champions as the savior to the state’s economy took effect in January 2013.

The Star compiled the following figures from the most recent U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics report. It’s the same source Brownback used in making his jobs claim during his State of the State address this month.

▪ Kansas’ private sector employment grew by 5.5 percent from January 2011 through November 2014.

That’s far from impressive when stacked up against the rest of the country.

Kansas trailed 33 other states and Washington, D.C., all of which have added jobs at a healthier pace since 2011.

The six top gainers over that span were North Dakota, the leader at 28.5 percent, followed by Texas, Utah, California, Florida and Colorado.

Sixteen states did lag Kansas in private sector employment in that time, including neighboring Missouri and Nebraska, both up 5.3 percent.

The five worst rates were in Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Mississippi and West Virginia; the latter two had bottom-feeding growth of 3.3 percent.

▪ After the tax cuts became law in January 2013, the number of Kansas’ private sector jobs went up only 2.5 percent through November 2014.

That was below 37 other states (including Missouri) and Washington, D.C.

Put another way, Kansas has gained employment faster than only 12 other states since the tax cuts took effect.

▪ Overall, total nonfarm employment in Kansas — which includes government and private sector jobs — had risen just 4.1 percent since January 2011.

That again put Kansas behind 37 other states and Washington, D.C.

Kansas actually gained only 54,500 total jobs, or almost 5,000 below the private sector number, because state and local government employee rolls declined. That effectively meant 5,000 people were without jobs that allowed them to pay taxes, buy houses and shop in Kansas.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article8030766.html#storylink=cpy

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Are members of Congress allowed to introduce legislation that would declare war on a country that the Executive Branch is presently engaged in diplomatic talks with?

The real question is whether there is a veto proof majority in Congress to reimpose the sanctions regime on Iran, which would kill this deal. Probably not, but we'll find out later this year.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

The real question is whether there is a veto proof majority in Congress to reimpose the sanctions regime on Iran, which would kill this deal. Probably not, but we'll find out later this year.
...what do you mean probably not??? Don't you mean "hahahaha of course there isn't the GOP could kill this deal but not like that."

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

...what do you mean probably not??? Don't you mean "hahahaha of course there isn't the GOP could kill this deal but not like that."

Never over-estimate the courage of Democratic elected officials.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "Neville Chamberlain got a better deal from Adolf Hitler." ~ Senator Mark Kirk.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

gently caress you Kirk.

Does the U.S. have to sign a treaty at all? What I mean is, in the last month, Congress has shown to be an unwilling partner. Could this deal be set up to automatically remove the U.S. from the equation? Congress renews sanctions so the other countries drop their sanctions even more to offset the U.S.?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "Neville Chamberlain got a better deal from Adolf Hitler." ~ Senator Mark Kirk.
Honestly, I was expecting a lot more vitriol from the R's today, and not just a bad godwin :/

/disappointed

E: did you catch the speech from Obama? Was there anything of importance in it?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Had My Mother Attended the Nuclear Negotiations, by Rep. Steve Israel (D-NY)

quote:

IRANIAN FOREIGN MINISTER MOHAMMED JAVAD ZARIF: The hour is late. Do we have a deal or not?

SYLVIA: What, all of a sudden you're in such a rush? You should never sign a nuclear program agreement on an empty stomach. Here, have some more brisket.

ZARIF: Enough of these stall tactics! I have been instructed by my government to walk out of these negotiations!

SYLVIA: You don't like my brisket. [Lower lip begins slight tremble. Eyes commence a forlorn roll upwards.]

ZARIF: It won't work this time. While you roll your eyes, we are spinning our centrifuges. And we will keep spinning them until Iran has enriched enough uranium to defend ourselves from the Zionist aggressors. Nothing can stop us. OK. Just one more piece of brisket. And that's it.

It goes on like that..... (and on)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

Night? It's still only 4 PM in Cali.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah, but it's 1am in Prague, Iran.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

EST is the only time zone that matters.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's just... too dumb to even make snide comments on...

I guess the playmakers are too busy trying to figure out the next move to be on point PR-wise

site fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 3, 2015

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Do the Republicans have anyone with any credibility in foreign relations? I recently watched the Obama and Romney debates (thanks to talk about them in this thread) because I didn't get a chance to see them the first time around and there wasn't a single proposal of any substance from Romney ("I'm gonna hold China accountable!").

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mauser posted:

Do the Republicans have anyone with any credibility in foreign relations?

Scott Walker posted:

If I can take on 100,000 protesters, I can do the same across the world.

:colbert:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mauser posted:

Do the Republicans have anyone with any credibility in foreign relations? I recently watched the Obama and Romney debates (thanks to talk about them in this thread) because I didn't get a chance to see them the first time around and there wasn't a single proposal of any substance from Romney ("I'm gonna hold China accountable!").

well, usually your experts in foreign policy are the guys from the previous administration who got to do some of it, so...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mauser posted:

John Bolton, for certain strictly defined, totally insane definitions of "credible."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there an Iran deal thread or is it being covered in the ME thread?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
WaPo says Indiana reverses course on poo poo bill and has Pence sign a revised version clarifying no discrimination based on sexual orientation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

site posted:

WaPo says Indiana reverses course on poo poo bill and has Pense sign a revised version clarifying no discrimination based on sexual orientation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT3OQwyvKmk&t=31s

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Wouldn't a bill with changed wording need to go through committee or at the very least be formally amended and voted on again? Can they just... change it and have him sign a different thing like this?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

JT Jag posted:

Wouldn't a bill with changed wording need to go through committee or at the very least be formally amended and voted on again? Can they just... change it and have him sign a different thing like this?

They have been working on it a couple of days, it got voted on and passed 34-16. Only the token 10 dems and 6 republicans voted against it in the Indiana Senate. Pence is going to Europe for Easter, had to get it done quick.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Joementum posted:

This could be the quote of any night since Obama's inauguration in 2009. The right can't decide whether Obama is Hitler or Chamberlain. It might have something to do with their focus.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So I've been reading William Greider's One World: Ready or Not 1996 novel on the Loony Global Economic Revolution, and my dad's been reading novels about the threat of corporate states in Blade Runner style.

I'm wondering three things: When will the current global economic revolution (multi-corporations and all) reach it's expiration date, if it has one? Is the US destined to become a corporate state in which interests are served only to the oligarchs? How hosed is the future of our middle class?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ErIog posted:

This could be the quote of any night since Obama's inauguration in 2009. The right can't decide whether Obama is Hitler or Chamberlain. It might have something to do with their focus.
Schrodinger's Obama. To a right-wing commentator, an unobserved President Obama is both spineless and a tyrant until observed and the wave function collapses.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Grouchio posted:

So I've been reading William Greider's One World: Ready or Not 1996 novel on the Loony Global Economic Revolution, and my dad's been reading novels about the threat of corporate states in Blade Runner style.

I'm wondering three things: When will the current global economic revolution (multi-corporations and all) reach it's expiration date, if it has one? Is the US destined to become a corporate state in which interests are served only to the oligarchs? How hosed is the future of our middle class?

1. The apocalypse
2. U.S. already is one
3. Very

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grouchio posted:

It will probably be like today except with fancier gizmos.

Also by most metrics the US probably already is a corporate state in which interests are served only to the oligarchs (and has been for like a hundred years).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Grouchio posted:

in order, long after you are dead, it always has been, and completely

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Chicken posted:

in order, long after you are dead, it always has been, and completely

The second one I disagree with. I really do believe that by the centuries end we'll see the united states with life long presidents that will be answerable first to the military and will have come to power claiming they were helping the masses. Also as a mutipolar world becomes a reality these multinationals will only become active in regions where there nation dominates and become servile to such receptive super states. Everything else is right

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

Yeah stalling an invasion for a few years while you build your defenses was quite a good deal for Chamberlain.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah stalling an invasion for a few years while you build your defenses was quite a good deal for Chamberlain.

the nazis never had the capability to invade england, even if they had totally won the blitz

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kinda like how Iran doesn't have the capability of creating a feasible nuclear weapon.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
What does the rest of the world think of the nuclear deal with Iran? Did it seem like US was too desperate to make something happen, therefore in a position of appeasement rather than decision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Governor Peter Shumlin (D-VT) has halted official travel by state employees to Indiana. Today, the state House tried to go farther, but got hung up on a technical issue.

quote:

Poirier told a gathering of Republicans that the ban would halt official travel to about 20 states.

“There’s eight,” countered Rep. Anne Donahue (R-Northfield).

“We should know how many states we’re banning travel to,” Rep. Patti Komline (R-Dorset) said.

They decided to take up the measure again tomorrow.

• Locked thread