Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

VitalSigns posted:

There is no discrimination against Christians in America. Comparing real discrimination to imaginary discrimination is not the same as comparing real discrimination to real-but-not-as-bad discrimination.

Not being allowed to force your religious values on everyone else is totally discrimination!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Fried Chicken posted:

"We know the solution to the problem by we don't want to do it so we will wait until it is a catastrophe and then still drag our feet" is basically post Carter America in a nutshell and it is the number 1 thing that pisses me off day in and day out. All the poo poo we fight over, we know how to solve it. We just don't because, well, because. And none of it is hard. It is a lot of work, and in some cases expensive, but it isn't hard. Going to the moon, that was hard. We had to invent whole new branches of science to do that. Unfucking our land use policies to knock down barriers to urban growth is easy, it's a series of procedural votes by a few dozen fools to repeal existing rules.

We could fix all the things we currently rage over, start addressing real issues, and unlock and amazing period of better standards of living, but we just don't want to. We'd rather keep trying to ban gay people or something. It's infuriating.

Those solutions do not fit into the cost-benefit analysis and may reduce earnings for a quarter, so it must be avoided at all costs. As long as politicians get second, and sometimes more significant, paychecks from bribery nothing is going to change. And of course the politicians would have to come up with the laws preventing politicians from getting bribed, so good luck.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Evil_Greven posted:

I saw this bill and it's a fun one:

The fun part of that is going through it and seeing how many things the past few GOP presidents have done that would be considered impeachable offenses.

Not that this will ever become law, but I want to see how fast they could get this stricken from the books as soon as a republican became president.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
GOP brainiac Steve King has introduced a bill to strip the courts of their constitutional right of judicial oversight.

As a resident of Iowa I am so sorry and I give you all permission to turn this state into the world's largest popcorn tub.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Has the US offered official apologies to all the people whose countries we have ruined and brutalized?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I love all the people talking about Japan whitewashing what happened in ww2 because it's not like we live in a country that has always done it's best to whitewash and pretend it really want as bad as some people say for things like our treatment of the native Americans, slavery, internment camps for japanese-americans in ww2, and all the other crap that we as a nation have done that we do our best to ignore or pretend it wasn't that bad, and that is how it is passed on to the next generation. Is Japan different because they didn't win and only the victors get to rewrite history?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah this whole war apology thing appears to be not an apology from the nation of Japan but an apology by Abe for being a douchebag over the war.

Expecting a right wing but from any country to apologize for being a douchebag about anything is a clear sign of being way too optimistic for this world.

• Locked thread