Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Not content to let Indiana and Arkansas get all the attention, the Texas House Votes to Defund HIV Prevention to Pay for Abstinence Education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

richardfun posted:

As a Dutch person, I'd like to both laugh at you guys and offer you a sincere apology. Our most (in)famous politician, Geert Wilders, is going to visit your fair country to (presumably) throw some oil on several fires.

What brings Wilders to the States, you ask? Well, he was invited!

By whom, you ask? By Louie Gohmert and Steve King, of course!

From Geert's own little blog, I bolded the most hilarious/unbelievable part.

Isn't this guy super racist? Is there some smoking gun of blatant racism that Americans might not know about that could be spread around to shame Gohmert and King?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So is there an actual chance that the GOP fucks this deal up?

I don't know, but Obama's speech did have a section about Congress where he said "if Congress kills this deal."

It's already dead, isn't it :(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SaltLick posted:

Now that's the scam to get in on. Next time there is a national "outrage" just be the one who sets up the gofundme page and skim off the top as administration fees

Or be the person getting ostracized and take the whole shebang.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tune in to Channel 2 for the hardest-hitting news in the region.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Coming soon to a Republican state legislature near you:

Texas Bill Would Name Judges Who Give Minors Permission to Have Abortions

quote:

In 38 states, it is illegal for a minor to terminate a pregnancy without one parent's knowledge. (Some of those 38 states go further, and require a parent's permission.) Girls who are afraid or unable to involve their parents can ask a judge for permission instead. This confidential process, which the Supreme Court helped establish in the late '70s and early '80s, is called judicial bypass.

But Texas is the first state in recent memory to consider naming the judges who rule on bypass cases. One bill, introduced by Republican Rep. Ron Simmons, would name the judges outright. Another proposal, authored by fellow Republican Rep. Geanie Morrison, would list the courts that grant bypass petitions. Since some courts have just a few judges, Morrison's bill would make it easier for abortion foes to identify and pressure judges who give minors permission to get abortions. Morrison did not respond to requests for comment, and Simmons declined to comment.

Proponents of the bills have argued that they would bring accountability to the bypass process. Critics say that the bills are aimed at discouraging judges from participating in bypass hearings. "This isn't about transparency in the petition process. It's about punishing judges," warns Susan Hays, a Texas attorney who works with a nonprofit group called Jane's Due Process to represent minors in bypass cases. Texas, she notes, elects its judges. "We pass these bills, and suddenly you don't even have this option in huge swaths of the state."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

So whats going on with Missouri and their bill to ban people on SNAP from buying steak or seafood?

Please tell me you're joking

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Amergin posted:

As proof of the new rising tide of freedom against the tyranny of social justice warriors and Tumblr, I present to you the resounding success of a quiet revolution in sci/fi and fantasy writing: The Hugo Awards were swept by Sad Puppies.

Who could possibly care?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mastervj posted:

Is there any thread talking about this? Because, Jesus, this is hosed up.

Criminal Justice thread here

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

You know what, I agree. I am being a crab in a bucket. I think we should start a goon project to ensure that people fired for murdering others get to have their families stay on their insurance. Who's volunteering?

I'll make the wiki

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Magres posted:

Hey guys I hear a Republican said something stupid

Let's talk about that instead of this god awful race to the peak of Mount Shitpost

Alternately, an actual question - I cannot remember the name of it, but there's an idea that a just society is one in which we can look at it and say "yes, without knowing anything about where I'd wind up in this society, I would be happy to be a part of it regardless of my status within it." Ring any bells? I'm trying to find it for an argument about SNAP. It's an idea that I really like and that has influenced my arguments with relatives about THOSE drat WELFARE POORS

John Rawls' Veil of Ignorance

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Right, so my question is, how would market sharing/price fixing agreements ever be subject to the law then? Surely they wouldn't sit in a room together and write down "okay you guys get Chicago and we get New York", but the government would have to find evidence like that to make a case?

I don't think noncoordinated cooperation is as difficult as you think, especially with so few actors in the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Fireman interviewed -

Vice: "did you put out the fire?"

BFD: "unfortunately"

Is it Tim? Did he bum a mic to do real interviews with?

• Locked thread