Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I haven't been following the Chicago race at all and had no serious opinion on MIGF's political career before it, but I've really liked all of the photo ops he's done and the people he's posing with tweeting out how much of a miserable rear end in a top hat he is.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So whats going on with Missouri and their bill to ban people on SNAP from buying steak or seafood?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

So whats going on with Missouri and their bill to ban people on SNAP from buying steak or seafood?

Please tell me you're joking

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
We probably spend at least $100b every year just loving with poor people to satisfy conservatives.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Please tell me you're joking

If they are, say hello to a new party plank because it's too good to leave out.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

PostNouveau posted:

Please tell me you're joking

It's a republican controlled legistature. Drink up.

In a nutshell, Republicans are butthurt that people getting less than $7/day for food put enough aside to treat themselves because how dare those poors enjoy their lives for a moment every once in a great while. You know, ignoring that seafood and lean red meat are nutritious parts of any diet when in moderation, etc.

Also the sponsor of the bill claiming he can't afford filet mignon and lobster while food stamp supporters can is something that makes me too furious to actually laugh at.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

[Lobster]. It's like grey poupon. It only costs a few bucks but if a poor person eats it then it's all the proof that someone with a yacht and a dancing horse needs that the poor are grifters who are living high off the government.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I would love to see some Republicans write up meal plans based on a food stamp budget for a month.

Would they even think to include beans and rice? Or would it be mac and cheese and offbrand Froot Loops all the way down?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Article: Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood
From: Chicago Tribune
Date: April 5, 2015

quote:

In 2013, Fox News proudly broadcast an interview with a young food stamp recipient who claimed to be using the government benefit to purchase lobster and sushi.

"This is the way I want to live and I don't really see anything changing," Jason Greenslate, a surfer and rocker, explained to Fox. "It's free food; it's awesome."

That story fit a longtime conservative suspicion that poor people use food stamps to purchase luxury items. Now, a Republican state lawmaker in Missouri is pushing for legislation that would stop people like Greenslate and severely limit what food stamp recipients can buy. The bill being proposed would ban the purchase with food stamps of "cookies, chips, energy drinks, soft drinks, seafood or steak."

"The intention of the bill is to get the food stamp program back to it's original intent, which is nutrition assistance," said Rick Brattin, the representative who is sponsoring the proposed legislation.

"I have seen people purchasing filet mignons and crab legs with their EBT cards," he said. "When I can't afford it on my pay, I don't want people on the taxpayer's dime to afford those kinds of foods either."

Brattin says his bill is about making the food stamp program revolve around nutrition, but it also touches on more than that: whether poor people should be allowed to purchase foods that are deemed fancy. [...]

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

These people should be put up against a loving wall.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

KomradeX posted:

These people should be put up against a loving wall.

Oh no, you've inflamed them with your violent rhetoric. :ohdear:

Now they'll try to rub out poor people even harder. :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So... How do they intend to enforce it and how much will it cost?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Republicans posted:

So... How do they intend to enforce it and how much will it cost?

Probably the same way they do for prepared foods and like always it'll cost more than is lost to poor people doing this.

SedanChair posted:

Oh no, you've inflamed them with your violent rhetoric. :ohdear:

Now they'll try to rub out poor people even harder. :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Oh no, what have I done? I must have been the real racist all along!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
My state owns.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

KomradeX posted:

... it'll cost more than is lost to poor people doing this.

Of American politics' great ironies, fighting teen pregnancy by telling teens condoms don't work is second only to the fiscal conservative's de facto insistence on inefficiency and waste.

The chronically homeless of central Florida cost about ~$30,000/head/year, mostly by way of law enforcement and medical costs. A [Free Housing + Case Worker] program would cut that to ~$10,000/head/year.

Or, in other words, given their population, conservatives will have Florida spend $100,000,000+ over ten years to keep the homeless on the streets.

Every leftie or centrist I've gone over this with has been sold just with some details about the program or the research. They like that it helps people. They like that it reduces crime. They like that it cleans up the streets. They like that it saves money and increases efficiency. But the conservatives? I've yet to find a single one that can get past the whole, "They don't deserve it," angle. It's loving crazy.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I work in the same building as the man in charge of running Missouri's Medicare/Medicaid programs and he makes $33,000,000 a year lol.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Accretionist posted:

[...]

Yeah, this is what I was getting at every conservative programs from drug testing to tax cuts costs us more money than other alternatives and yet they still advocate for them. Not because they care about being fiscally responsible but because they want people to suffer. I had a conservative friend of mine once say in response to being told that food stamps generate a dollar fifty for every dollar spent, "If I give you a dollar how do I have a dollar fifty?" They are incapable of seeing anything beyond their personal experience.

This guy has also said to me that health insurance should be done away with so health care can be run on capitalist principles, that he doesn't understand why a mutual friend of ours would be upset if someone was being anti-semetic toward him and that Mike Brown and Eric Garner got what they deserve. Gen X is worse than the loving Boomers and conservatism is some kind of sociopathy since it seems to be rooted in lacking empathy for others

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
As proof of the new rising tide of freedom against the tyranny of social justice warriors and Tumblr, I present to you the resounding success of a quiet revolution in sci/fi and fantasy writing: The Hugo Awards were swept by Sad Puppies.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Amergin posted:

As proof of the new rising tide of freedom against the tyranny of social justice warriors and Tumblr, I present to you the resounding success of a quiet revolution in sci/fi and fantasy writing: The Hugo Awards were swept by Sad Puppies.

Who could possibly care?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Amergin posted:

As proof of the new rising tide of freedom against the tyranny of social justice warriors and Tumblr, I present to you the resounding success of a quiet revolution in sci/fi and fantasy writing: The Hugo Awards were swept by Sad Puppies.

Finally white men with libertarian and right-authoritarian political leanings have a voice in the world of genre fiction. It's a glorious new day!

Edit: Re: Conservatives willing to spend money to gently caress over things they hate, up until yesterday there was a possibility that the state of Indiana would decide not to fund the Amtrak Hoosier State line between Indy and Chicago. Since Amtrak uses that train to move equipment between their Chicago hub and their Beech Grove maintenance shops in Indy, a bunch of jobs that combined pay more in state income taxes alone than what it would cost the state to fund the line would disappear with the train.

I forget the exact numbers, but essentially it would cost the state 7 figures/year to not fund the line. Yet a number of conservative politicians advocated for that, because of all the usual reasons conservatives oppose publicly funded transport.

Theris fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 7, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "Should have put $10,000 on my bracket." ~ Mitt Romney

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Joementum posted:

Warren is... running for President and people who like Warren (myself included!) should be happy about that.

Holy poo poo!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

More Onion articles becoming laws.

quote:

“There’s no reason she should be loading up on those pricey TV dinners if she’s getting the government to pay for it,” Gaither told reporters at a local Super Stop and Shop, training her prodigious faculties on a welfare recipient using a benefit card in front of her in the checkout line. “If I were on food stamps, I’d just buy two whole chickens and a bag of potatoes—you could feed a family for a week on that and still have money left over.”

“All that junk she’s buying is just loaded with sugar, too,” said Gaither, identifying with uncanny speed another critical flaw in her fellow shopper’s grocery selection. “No wonder her kids are acting out like that.”

Sources said that Gaither, in addition to being a noted scholar of how the indigent squander her tax dollars at the supermarket, is able to detect with astonishing frequency instances in which poor people claim they are unable to pay their own grocery bills yet, seconds later, pull out a brand-new cell phone that’s far nicer than the one Gaither herself owns. Moreover, as one of the most respected voices concerning the poor’s flawed eating habits, Gaither reportedly possesses the ability to instantly assess when people on public assistance keep coming back to the same fatty foods that pretty much explain how they came to look like that in the first place.

:smithicide:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SedanChair posted:

Oh no, you've inflamed them with your violent rhetoric. :ohdear:

Now they'll try to rub out poor people even harder. :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:
:wiggle:

Getting angry when poor people eat fancy feasts instead of Fancy Feast.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

"Oh ho ho," says Kansas. "Look at you Missouri, thinking you're hot poo poo. Well, you ain't seen nothin'."

quote:

Kansas welfare recipients will be unable to get more than $25 per day in ATM cash withdrawals under a new law sent this week to Republican Gov. Sam Brownback's desk by the state legislature.

The bill also prohibits welfare recipients from spending their benefits at certain types of businesses, including liquor stores, fortune tellers, swimming pools and cruise ships.

The maximum TANF benefit for Kansas is $429 a month which will no longer be wasted on Caribbean vacations and swimming pools!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bonus quote of the morning, "I just announced for President because I want you to keep more of your hard-earned money" ~ Rand Paul fundraising letter.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Accretionist posted:

[...]

Houston and a few other cities have been going pretty hard with these programs, especially with vets (since that's an easy sell) and single mothers. I spoke with the head of the Houston program a couple of months ago and even he was impressed with how well the program has worked and he designed it.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Homeless-population-continues-to-decline-5514857.php

quote:

The number of people placed into permanent supportive housing, which has no limit on how long a person can stay and is connected with intensive social services, has jumped 81 percent over three years, according to the coalition. Neal Rackleff, leader of the city's housing department, said the region is on track to build the last 1,000 units needed by the deadline.

The housing-first philosophy contends people are more likely to stay housed if they have the guarantee of a home as long as it takes them to manage financial, physical and mental health challenges. Advocates also cite a local government review that found it is at least three times cheaper for taxpayers to fund a unit of permanent supportive housing than pay for emergency room visits, jail time, and temporary shelter.

http://www.chron.com/opinion/editorials/article/Helping-homeless-veterans-4772484.php

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Parker-shifts-housing-priority-to-homeless-4058503.php

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-reports-progress-in-combating-homelessness-5765543.php

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Which state will change welfare to just mean all the beans and rice they can haul in their cadi?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
But they didn't deserve it! Why should I work hard everyday when I can just have everything GIVEN TO ME!!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm waiting for it to be only food you can scrape off your body after Tea Partiers get to pelt you with it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the morning, "I just announced for President because I want you to keep more of your hard-earned money" ~ Rand Paul fundraising letter.
USPol April: Grift Is Good

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radish posted:

I'm waiting for it to be only food you can scrape off your body after Tea Partiers get to pelt you with it.

"We realized that we were actually diminishing your potential by giving you hand outs, therefor we are switching to rocks."

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

Reading over the last few pages of this thread this morning -- with Rand, MO TANF, etc. -- gives me a feeling that the race to the bottom is speeding up. A sort of acceleration, if you will. :smuggo:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Which state will change welfare to just mean all the beans and rice they can haul in their cadi?

That's too generous. Welfare should clearly be all the rice and beans you can fit in both hands, once a week :colbert:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

blunt for century posted:

That's too generous. Welfare should clearly be all the rice and beans you can fit in both hands, once a week :colbert:

That sounds reasonable, it might not seem much but rice and beans expand when you cook them.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Update on Todd Kincannon (former South Carolina GOP head and douche bag) story from last months thread. He was arrested for criminal domestic violence while they are working on kidnapping charge.

http://www.wistv.com/story/28734435/attorney-former-sc-gop-chair-arrested-on-cdv-complaint

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I'm 675 posts behind but I just want to point out "President Rand Paul" is an anagram of "A ripened turd's plan"

Have a nice week

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

DemeaninDemon posted:

Which state will change welfare to just mean all the beans and rice they can haul in their cadi?

Don't forget "blocks of cheese" which is my favorite food item that shows up in those FWD:FWD:FWD "this teenager knows what to do!!!" emails

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
God drat do Republicans hate poor people.

:siren: 95% OF " " " "LOW INCOME" " " " HOUSEHOLDS OWN A REFRIGERATOR :siren:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Monkey Fracas posted:

God drat do Republicans hate poor people.

:siren: 95% OF " " " "LOW INCOME" " " " HOUSEHOLDS OWN A REFRIGERATOR :siren:

its even worse then u think...

  • Locked thread