Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

Is that really the best argument they've got? That if their managers can't micromanage then everything will fall apart?

Their duties are greater than 100% therefore we should not have to pay them for having greater than 100% of duties. Yea that makes sense.

Like why the gently caress bother complaining about the middle class might not be feeling the positive effects of the recovering economy when you're doing everything you can to stop them from making more money?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

So in the end, it was definitely the business interests that made the difference and not the human rights interests. I guess I'm not surprised, but I hope people there remember that if they think about bragging about how they pulled it together to keep this law from happening.

Because I know some libertarianish people who will proclaim that this is proof that the free market winning out, I'm going to cut it off at the pass.

It's not a free market victory because a group of businesses legislated the government to do something, instead of running their own business their way.

I understand that the thought comes out of nowhere, but I just anticipate these sort of arguments these days.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

Palin cleans up well, at least. And did have some media training

these people would be the equivalent of just grabbing some rando from walmart

That is sooo late eighties.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

Mandatory firearms safety training in schools might not be a horrible thing.

I received firearms safety training in high school.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

MrSargent posted:

http://www.usherald.com/maine-welfare-recipients-must-work-for-their-benefits/#.VSMk815brdk.facebook

It also feels like this policy is almost a form of indentured servitude, where people are essentially performing a "job", but getting paid through benefits instead of a salary. Again, my apologies if this is not the correct thread for this type of discussion.

Yea I saw that on my Facebook feed as well. The discussion isn't off limits here but the subject might be better served in the 'got a crazy forward' thread.

I think the website that posted it is poo poo. The program is a 'success' only because it kicked shitload of people off welfare- not that people just magically found jobs and didn't need it anymore. I can make a welfare program where if you breathe you don't get benefits and kick everyone off it and by that measure it would be a 'success' in getting people off it as well.

edit: could also go in the right wing media thread as well as the forward thread. They're kind of interchangeable at points.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 9, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

wait i thought unemployed people and immigrants get the best healthcare in the world and that's why makers are forced to pay so much for it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I hope Gore runs.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I really, really do not want to vote for Hillary.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

zoux posted:

Good news, you don't have to.

Yes but I feel that if I don't someone worse will be in power.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I almost never had school lunch. I always had bagged food. Like a ham sandwich, chips, and pop.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Not to mention all you have to do is look at Comcast's lobbying in Tennessee against EPBs Gigabit Fiber and imagine that across the entire US.

Remember: This is the company that said people don't NEED faster than 25 Mbps

Well, until you actually have to buy it from them! Then they say, well, we offer 25, but if you have a computer and a smart phone, you'll need our blazing fast 50mbps for an extra 35 dollars a month!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3059840/Anarchists-year-s-violence-Ferguson-active-Baltimore-claim-social-media-experts.html

"A leading data mining firm, which has asked to remain anonymous because of its government work, claims that between 20 and 50 social media accounts active in Baltimore on Monday were also used some 825 miles away in Ferguson during the peak of last summer's violence following the death of Michael Brown"

"Not all the accounts called for outright violence, but at the very least, the tweets were menacing and ominous, reports Fox News.

So here's the thing.

I first saw this posted elsewhere and I IMMEDIATELY bristled at it because not only was it from TheBlaze, but because it quotes an anonymous source.

But I took a moment to scan it and it basically supports an idea that the rioting and looting is the work of outside agitators, and that members of the community are not destroying their own town.

That pretty much destroys a lot of arguments people have about the rioting in general. If they abhor the reaction of the community, it should be known that blame is being placed outside the community.

But that's, you know, assuming this anonymous source isn't bullshit. Still, should you see this posted in the future- it pretty much undermines whatever argument the person was making who posted it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't understand why these uppity gun owners are so up in arms about their rights. Before they come to us and ask for more guns to buy and more ways to carry them around- they should address the problems in the gun owning community.

An alarming number of gun crimes are committed by people who possess guns. Sure, there is a difference between a responsible and irresponsible gun owner: shouldn't they prove to us they are all responsible before we allow them these rights? I mean, do they not realize its their fault that we think people with guns shoot people? They need to control their own before they should expect any protection.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

#HASHTAG #THE #gently caress #OUT #OF #EVERY #WORD #IN #A #SENTENCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JeffersonClay posted:

The full weight of the US military was not enough to stop an insurgency in Iraq, and it's a lot easier to hide in the Rockies or Appalachia than in the desert.

I think these situations have two major differences that should, for the most part, disqualify them from being compared.

• Locked thread