Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

In all honesty, speaking as an experienced shooter with years of interest in firearms, there isn't a whole lot that a mandatory safety class can really teach. The vast, vast majority of negligent shootings with guns has to do with violating the core safety rules:

1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
3. Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety"
4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It
5. Use Correct Ammunition
6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

Outside of these rules, learning about firearms is almost entirely marksmanship and other skill tests rather than anything that would improve your handling. And the first four are the ones most likely to cause damage when violated, and thus the ones most often repeated. A firearms safety class in school would probably last a month at the most, unless the rest was marksmanship and cleaning practice.

The number one safety rule that actually gets people (kids) killed is lock your loving guns up properly in your home so your kids can't get at them, assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not to mention that the more liberal parts of the country, two states of which provide more than 30% of her votes to win, have been recoiling in horror to all the poo poo that the republican run states and the republican congress have been pushing the last 2 years, and it's not like you can gerrymander the presidency like you can with the senate and house.

You absolutely can, it just takes a lot more work. States could switch to proportional electors rather than winner-takes-all and then gerrymander the electoral districts. You don't even need to gerrymander the electoral districts if you just get only your oppositions' states to switch.

All it takes is California electing a republican governor (which we do constantly) who convinces people to pass a state constitutional amendment as a ballot proposition to implement proportional electors and the republican party picks up 20 EVs every election going forward. That's not likely, but it's way more possible than I'd like.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

I thought that this was what Florida and other Republican led states were trying to do specifically. Make it so that it's a proportional electorate system and then gerry mander that way.

They want to do that in Florida, but ~mysteriously~ make no similar effort in South Carolina or Alabama, because the real idea is to make every D state split its EVs while keeping R states as a bloc.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because it makes no sense to have a special tax that occurs only if you do x number of transactions per day.

A financial transaction tax wouldn't need to be tied to a specific frequency of trading; as long as it applied to the types of transactions HFT engages in then it would necessarily restrict it more than other financial activity.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Anybody who is pro-space colonization needs to also be for actual solutions to climate change because the largest technological hurdle to space colonies is in our lack of ecological understanding making it impossible for us to manage a closed environmental system like a bernal sphere or a moonbase.

This is also a major hurdle to our not destroying the earth so hey, synergy

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

Unfortunately, that same military industrial dick propelled us to the moon and catapulted us into the space race. NASA was founded on the fears of the Soviets gaining the high ground, and almost all of our spacecraft design was done by the same people building combat aircraft for the DoD building wunderwaffen for the reich.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Zeitgueist posted:

NASA is a good general R&D thing to have, but if we're thinking of space colonization happening anytime in the next couple of lifetimes that's ridiculous and we should instead be concentrating on stuff that would improve the world we live on as it's more achievable, barring some radical breakthrough.

The flipside of the fact that space colonization fetishists advocates should absolutely support researching climate change because of its relevance to space travel is that space agencies are actually relevant research departments for ecological science; the ESA for example has the biggest closed environmental systems research center running at the moment.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Zwabu posted:

The GOP should be really concerned about that gender gap, it's absolutely ridiculous.

If it's a legitimate gender gap the party has ways of shutting it down

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

I have my own answer, but since we have a lot of posters here who appear to match Matt Yglesias' description of a Hillary defector, what would be yours?

To start, for me it's easy: I live in Vermont, so it doesn't matter and I can check whatever box on the ballot, like I did in 2012 when I voted for the 28 year old Leninist.

I live in California so the general will only have two candidates on it and it'll be [anointed republican lunatic] and Hillary so I won't actually be a "defector"

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Friendly Tumour posted:

It's a thing that I keep wondering about as an outsider. Looking at America, you seem perpetually on your way towards a civil war that never quite, as you say "kicks off".

It's not really that they don't kick off, they just end quickly.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

On Terra Firma posted:

I will never understand this. It shows how transparently racist so many self professed libertarians are if they cannot acknowledge that there are people right here and now that are being oppressed by "the state". It's unfolding right in front of them and for all their talk about government never taking their guns or how they want to call for revolution, the poo poo hits the fan and they don't say a word. Every single one of these gadsden flag waving motherfuckers should be called out as cowards at every opportunity, or racists for dismissing the concerns coming out of predominantly black areas of the country. gently caress these people.

If the gun rights advocates were pushing really hard in urban communities for increased gun ownership the same way they glorify it out in more rural areas I might have some small amount of respect since they're treating everyone equally, but they don't. When conversations pop up about how gun owners aren't bad people and guns don't kill people, nobody ever suggests going out of their way to arm black dudes in major metropolitan areas. Nobody ever rattles that off as a solution to inner city violence, or protection against government tyranny, or whatever it is they fantasize about. So loving shameful.

This nation was founded on the principle of government by white men of property, for white men of property. Is it any surprise that those who worship the founding principles of the United States only care about white men of property?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

JT Jag posted:

Oldest continuous government. As in, one who has operated along the same structure for the longest time without being overthrown or changing in form dramatically. There are many older states, of course, but America has one of the oldest governments.

Honestly the reconstruction amendments were such a dramatic change of form and nature of the US government that it wouldn't be unreasonable to point to 1870 or so and say that's the start of continuous government, but I think that still leaves it as one of the oldest governments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, but the U.S. System dates from 1789. Reconstruction was a big deal, but it was achieved via processes and legal foundations that were already present in the 1789 constitution. There's a very, very solid case that Lincoln and Johnson at times operated outside the law, but they are generally given a pass since they were in the process of putting down a well organized, massive, violent failed rebellion against the legitimate law of the land.

Hell no it wasn't, the Reconstruction Amendments redefined the franchise, were passed by militarily occupying the dissenting part of the country, ejecting them from the legislature and mandating by force of arms that they agree to them in order to be restored to congress.

It was absolutely justified and the right thing to do, but it's exactly the sort of thing we call a revolution when other countries do it and then try pretend it wasn't when we did it.

• Locked thread