Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

VikingofRock posted:

Holy poo poo people in this thread are defeatist. Things can change, and particularly in times of crisis things can change quite quickly. A better world isn't going to be easy, but it's definitely possible and worth fighting for. People have been slowly improving their world for literally millennia; what makes you think that the problems we face are in any way special?

the climate issues we're currently facing are pretty clearly categorically worse than anything faced by humanity at any other time in history. like by orders of magnitude. and the people who need to be on board with fixing it almost exclusively aren't. also the world is definitely not improving for the vast majority of people at this particular moment in time

I too believe that change can happen and do so rapidly, but pretending that the facts don't tell us things are historically awful is naive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Another part of the connection is that there are tons of Fox News watchers who think that because the DOJ report on Mike Brown knocked down the "fleeing with hands up" thing, this type of event doesn't happen at all. They are now confronted with hard evidence.

Not that it will change their minds, necessarily . . .

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Trabisnikof posted:

No one is saying she should be kicked off insurance, just that a murderer shouldn't keep his job just because he knocked up his wife. How hard is that to understand?

well ok look back one page please

people have been saying she should be kicked from the police insurance, that's what the whole thing is about. don't move the goalposts to include medicaid/care now, your stupidity is already cataloged

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm saying that there is a big different between "someone shouldn't get special treatment because they married a murdered" and "ban this women from healthcare!!!!" None of those quotes fall in the latter category.

Its a rather subtle distinction apparently.

It isn't charity when its the tax payer's money.

like four or five people are saying that instead of her husband's insurance being extended to her until her child is born, she should be kicked off it immediately, you no-reading gently caress

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Trabisnikof posted:

If only there wasn't a long as gently caress line to receive the state's help, I think fewer people would have a problem.

Yes, people are saying she shouldn't get special My-Husband-is-a-murdering-cop extended benefits. That's not banning her from health insurance, that's not arguing she shouldn't get healthcare or anything else you're pretending it is.

Trabisnikof posted:

No one is saying she should be kicked off insurance, just that a murderer shouldn't keep his job just because he knocked up his wife. How hard is that to understand?

what you wrote does not mean "banned from insurance and medicaid." you just moved the goalposts to make it so you could sleep at night after you wrote it and realized you were wrong. i'm done, you're a loving moron who can't even remember what you yourself wrote less than a full page ago

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
didn't qv say to probate him if he ever seriousposted in here again?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lemming posted:

The average voter is incredibly stupid and misinformed, I agree. I don't see what your point is.

the average voter also doesn't let those facts stop them from having strong opinions about things. that's all he was saying.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I don't see Clinton following up on any eat-the-rich rhetoric once she's in office. Campaigning is nice and all but every person here should be keenly aware that candidates and presidents are different animals.

emdash fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 23, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
There's some TPP language around the same stuff some other FTAs have had regarding "you can't give advantages to local businesses over distant or foreign ones."

That's all I really saw that reminded me of "free trade"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

McAlister posted:

And

I set my goal posts carefully and I'll thank you not to move them about. This is a left wing forum where "eat the rich" is said only half jokingly.

She is an out group here. Which is why when you guys bemoan her it's mostly tone arguments or hand waving about how she shouldn't be given credit for good thing X because she's really a horrible selfish money grabber who is just pretending to be a caring person.

wait who's joking

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
quality poster amergin here to remind us that our justice and financial regulatory systems are infallible. they certainly never fail to punish any illegal activity by people in entrenched positions of power, wealth, and/or privilege

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i thought about telling him to read The Divide, but I'm sure he wouldn't anyway

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

VanSandman posted:

Oh a bunch of new posts I wonder what -
oh
oh dear

What's the latest from the authorities in Baltimore anyway?

Curfew 10pm-5am for the week, Nat'l Guard activated, expect robust crackdown to begin today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

:drat:

• Locked thread