Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Doctor Butts posted:

Their duties are greater than 100% therefore we should not have to pay them for having greater than 100% of duties. Yea that makes sense.

Like why the gently caress bother complaining about the middle class might not be feeling the positive effects of the recovering economy when you're doing everything you can to stop them from making more money?

The infographics suck (as usual) but the >100% sum kind of makes sense. Ordering products or scheduling employees likely involves paperwork and they are making up their own definition of what managing employees means so they can categorize anything involving customer service as "leading by example" to show or constantly remind the employees how the work should be done. So a shift manager should work the register when there is a line because we understaff due to thinking of the manager as another clerk there is an indication that the hourly employees need a reminder of how to operate efficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sir Tonk posted:

I dunno, perhaps yelp shouldn't let people review a business if they can't prove they actually went there...

Yelp is pretty good about handling this sort of thing. They let the rage run for a bit and once the flood stops clear out all the bogus reviews. Removing them while the story is still hot just makes it last longer as people post more to get ahead of the removals.

That said I imagine their rating will never recover as people who have visited and are pissed about the bigotry will update their confirmed valid reviews.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mcmagic posted:

That is the least disturbing thing about him. And it's pretty drat disturbing.

I don't see it as that bad really. It is a bit of a running joke in exercise circles that you are exercising so you can eat more and if his guilty pleasure food is cake and ice cream that's no better or worse than anything else.

FCKGW posted:

Plain white sheet cake is the most boring and offensive desert ever made, gross.

Maybe he meant with white frosting? I hope so at least.

Grocery store cake is normally pretty bad though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Killer robot posted:

I agree here. One of the best things about working out a lot is that you can regularly binge on stupid junk foods.

I can totally see the argument that the guy's got lousy taste in cake, but lots of people like crappy comfort food of some sort or another, and as long as you like it that's the only important part.

Yeah my normal meals on a weekend where I bike 50-60 miles on Saturday and Sunday are a huge cinnamon roll and bacon+cheese kolache for breakfast, two giant pieces of NJ style pizza or chinese for lunch, and something similarly awful for dinner + a few drinks. And I still managed to lose 110 lbs.

The only thing I can fault the guy for is for not having them write "Happy Un-birthday!" on the cakes. Even the grocery store cake is explainable because sometimes you don't want what is good but you want what you grew up with.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The bad thing about the lottery is it is also a funding mechanism for states so schools and other programs are funded by ticket sales largely purchased by the poor turning it into another regressive tax covering the fact that corporations and the wealthy don't pay their share.

And the various legislatures cut the hell out of higher ed funding citing the lottery scholarships as an excuse, leaving everyone worse off.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I know a 23 year old who has an "I miss Reagan" sticker on her car and named her pets after Republican First Ladys (of course one is Mary Todd :rolleyes:)

Also even if they pass into the minority of the population the racists and bigots will continue to have an outsized influence on politics as long as they turn out for primaries in key states.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

shrike82 posted:

If you're poor, you still get affected by time value of money on stuff like borrowing.
Stuff like this really highlights the need for financial literacy.

"Financial Literacy" is a pile of bullshit served up by the financial services industry to try and blame the victim of predatory practices which they fight to keep legal.

If you are poor the time value of money isn't even a rounding error compared to the traps set up to extract as much money as possible regardless of the amount of pain inflicted on the "customer". You spend the money you have now because if you let it sit it will soon disappear to fees and assorted bullshit that the non-poor don't even know exist. And when they choose the "nearly certain financial ruin" over "completely certain financial ruin" they get tut-tutted at by smug assholes who don't even consider the possibility that perhaps not everyone has the opportunity they have. The poor don't have the option of paying cash later or borrowing now... they can either lose all their income or accept the razor-wire "lifeline" of a Buy here Pay Here lot offering a 25% APR on an unreliable car marked up to triple what any legitimate dealer would charge. They pay 50% higher monthly rent to stay in a run down motel because they don't have three months cash to sink into a deposit (partly because they are paying too much in rent).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

VitalSigns posted:

You don't understand the argument that's being made.

The argument is that education is not enough, not that it shouldn't be done.

No, the point I was trying to make (poorly because I got caught on a late night rant) is that the "education" which is pushed is being used as an replacement for actual regulations which would address the root cause of the problem of the industry actively working to gently caress people as hard as they can get away with. Companies and trade groups say "We offer financial literacy education! We're giving the curricula to schools! Aren't we such great corporate citizens that we don't need through regulation and investigations into deceptive and predatory products?"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I wonder if conservatives will change up the type of cards used for SNAP and WIC benefits soon. In October everyone will have to use chip and signature/pin and they will no longer be able to quickly identify whether the person in front of them is someone just using a debit card or a filthy poor who they can sneer at for buying the decadent heavy syrup variety of canned peaches.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You assume they bother to verify anything before they cook up an anecdote about how they totally saw some woman with long nails and six kids buying nothing but sirloin while chatting vacantly on her impeccably up to date iphone 7.

Oh, I wasn't assuming.

You left out the "and made the hardworking young man who bags the groceries carry it all out to her Escalade." part though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PupsOfWar posted:

Cruz was a literal champion debater in college, which I think is responsible for more of the "Ted Cruz will crush his enemies, see them driven before him on the debate stage, hear the lamentations of their women" thing than his law career. It's a vastly more extemporaneous thing than any kind of real-world legal practice is.

But both competetive debate and Law are about procedural wrangling, thoroughness, consistency, etc. Whereas a televised poltiical debate is theatre. It is about giving good soundbites and Seeming Cool. Is cruz good at that? probably not, at least when he's dealing with a more general audience than his own base.

Exactly. A flubbed argument or badly worded statement in a campaign will reverberate for weeks or even years. In debate it might get your speak points dropped a bit but judges are supposed to be more concerned with content when picking a winner. "You didn't build that" wouldn't have even been a blip in a debate but was practically the entire basis for GOP messaging against Obama.

Additionally in a debate competition you have to win over one supposedly impartial person, who must make a final decision right then. The audience in a campaign isn't even pretending to be objective.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The real problem is that there are vending machines kids will go spend there money on if the food doesn't match their palette. This usually means something like five Doritos bags and a coke (not an exaggeration).

And those machines are there because the school needs the money they being in. Whether that is because the budgets are too low or poorly spent on top heavy administration I leave up for you.

And private schools weren't exactly much better. I have nightmares about that turkey tetrazzini.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

VitalSigns posted:

Hmm

Oh someone is talking about all the violence that underlies society and the way blacks have been left out of--

:what:

I see you are unfamiliar with the construction of the typical Ross Douthat column.

He starts to says some stuff that seems ok but then serves hard into crazyland and makes absurd conclusion after absurd conclusion.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zwabu posted:

So you mean Chipotle-gate hasn't made the nation realize what a monster Clinton is? Maybe if they just flog it, like, really hard, for several more months they will get the result they seek.

I tuned out for a week or so and I'm confused about what the Chipotle thing is about. Is it just that she went to Chipotle instead of whatever other fast food joint is considered the most American now by the GOP?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

I thought it was that she didn't tip.

Well if they had given more chicken instead of shaking the spoon after scooping to dislodge some maybe they would have gotten a tip :colbert:

withak posted:

No one knows what the Chipotle thing was about. That is why it is so great.

The more I try to find out what is going on the less sense if makes. It appears to be somehow even worse than Obama getting the "wrong" mustard on his hamburger. I'm even seeing a mix of "ugh blatant photo op" and other outlets saying she made a mistake by not turning it into a shake hands with everyone photo-op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Amergin posted:

Southern Maryland is more outright racist than South Carolina was in my experience. The Saint Mary's/Waldorf area farmers don't mind telling you their thoughts on race.

Oh my is thus true. I have family that lived in that area and left to visit Houston for the election because their neighbors had convinced each other that "the blacks" would burn DC to the ground and come spilling out into the countryside in search of food when Obama lost.

• Locked thread