Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

shortspecialbus posted:

I see the new thread is off to a nice angry start!

cops are basically soldiers but with two years more schooling and no deployments to get the killing out of their system so they roam the streets looking for action and grow more jaded by the year until they inevitably drink themselves to death or days after retirement their body collapses under the weight of years of unchecked hatred suddenly borne without the sweet release of giving hippies the hickory shampoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, copgoons, quick question. Do any of your departments actually do any practical threat assessment training on the regular? I'm talking about the sort that actually includes practical exercises in when to escalate to violence.

I keep hearing in local political bullshit that part of the problem with any sort of reform is that there "just isn't any budget" for training, and I'm curious as to your experiences.

We do it in our "academy" but we don't have ongoing training in it.

Honestly, we need way more of it - I'd say scenario training provides a huge training value that is necessary for modern law enforcement. The problem is that scenario training doesn't provide value unless you have solid fundamental skills. Fundamental skills are what we usually think of as law enforcement training - defensive tactics, firearms manipulations, positioning and communication. So scenario training can't replace that initial training. It has to follow it. So that means adding weeks of training, which requires roleplayers, props (including vehicles, weapons, and furniture, etc) and locations that provide useful approximations of real life locations. None of that is usually free. The highest value scenario training includes simulated use of force tools (firearms, baton, OC, taser), which are even more expensive. It's a hard sell to convince management of the importance of this kind of training on an ongoing manner.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I will never get tired of hearing idiots extolling the virtues of "small government" while being totally ignorant to the massive inefficiencies in having dozens of law enforcement agencies in each region with a web of jurisdiction and independent training, management and equipment systems.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Small government and local units of government are two completely different things.

My state, Illinois, has one of the largest, if not the largest number of local units of governments. Something like 7000 units of government between cities, townships, libraries, school boards, forest preserves, park districts, water reclamation districts, etc. Many Republicans support eliminating some of these overlapping jurisdictions and consolidating because that saves money and is what small government is about.

Maybe since you're in Canada you're talking about something else?

For reference: https://www.illinoispolicy.org/reports/too-much-government-illinois-thousands-of-local-governments/

It's stupid that we have 3 man police departments, but I don't think a central state police agency controlling everything is the answer either. If anything, rolling back more police jurisdiction to the county level and absorbing some of these small town PDs would be a better way to handle things. But it would cause people to lose jobs and many towns don't want to lose local control of their police force for obvious political reasons.

Oh, and the sheriff comes with its own political problems. At least on the local level you have civil service lists and not the sheriff picking whoever he wants to be hired.

No, you're talking about rational approaches to actual issues and I'm talking about the average voter who's "republican"/"conservative" because daddy said liberals are all pinko fags and their degree of political sophistication is eating up talking points and deciding to support initiatives on a binary partisan scale so when they hear "small government" they think "gently caress anything federal, we need everything to be local"

basically I'm just venting about idiots who haven't even posted here so don't worry about it

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

FRINGE posted:

Taking your collection of anecdotes as true - that shows that it is possible to detain people without things like this happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZIsKaIFCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0v213GCEkc

You seem to think Im ruining the thread, so Ill stop, but these things should not be happening. If you manage to restrain troubled people without gunning them down then you are an example of what the public wants.

What percentage of arrests do you think end with people being shot?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

GlyphGryph posted:

Question not related to the shooting or guns at all - Is it common in your departments for police to 'dip into' illicit goods confiscated from criminals? It shows up a lot on TV, and obviously it happens since I've seen articles about officers fired because of it, but I'm wondering if its anywhere near as common (in at least some major jurisdictions) as media tends to imply. Beyond that, is drug use in general common among police officers? It seems like many of the stress factors of the job would make that likely.

Yeah we're allowed up to a pound of weed per month but you have to sign the "Stolen Weed From Evidence Room Log". Coke is for personal use only. It's encouraged as long as the Sgt can't see your hands shaking.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
YOU'RE DOING THIS TO ANOTHER AMERICAN

I used to love arresting belligerent Americans because they'd almost always say they were going to call their congressman :downs:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

And when they do, the unpaid college intern who answers the phone gives them a little lesson about federalism :eng101:

I wish they could just silently point at a map of North America and just frown as they run their finger along the border

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Rad Lieutenant posted:

How's that torture?

uh yeah

it's part of our hiring board interview

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Branis posted:

some of us prefer blueberry syrup on our breakfast foods.

get your fuckin cissyrup out of my face and stop canadashaming

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Bring it on, I'll gladly fly the tranq gun attack helo.

Me too but I insist they all have HD cameras coaxially mounted with Tasers and I'm allowed to post the video online.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Here's a question: there have been a few cases recently where a prisoner insisted that they couldn't breathe, or needed a doctor, or were otherwise in distress, and the sheriffs basically laughed them off. Do a certain percentage of people you detain insist that the cuffs are too tight or otherwise act like they're dying, to the point that people start to tune it out, or were these sheriffs just shitheels?

In my experience? Probably like 75% of the people I've used force on have falsely claimed to be injured or screamed something like "please stop hurting me I haven't done anything" or "I can't breathe" while they're literally fighting with me as I try to arrest them. Experienced cons all know that if they make the scene look good for the cameras their chances of getting away increase a little bit, but there's zero downside to play acting so why not? I think a large part of it is hoping they'll be fighting a soft or inexperienced officer who will ease up on them if they complain, which gives them room to fight harder or escape.

I had a woman tell me I dislocated her shoulder after a standup armbar into a wall. I've played football and wrestled and snowboarded my whole life. I've seen and heard lots of dislocated shoulders and she didn't have one. But I still ask them twice if they need medical attention. She said yes so I called EMS, they checked her out and confirmed she was full of poo poo. Nobody in that entire event was surprised - least of all her. When they told us she wasn't injured she didn't even bother to feign disappointment or surprise. She just sat there looking bored waiting to get transported to cells.

My rule is that if anyone complains about an injury, once they are secured I will ask about injuries and call EMS if they request it or they have visible injuries. I'm not going to stop the fight because they're crying. Too many liars.

Edit: I guess I'll address the "I can't breathe" statement too - I've choked people out before in BJJ and wrestling practise, as well as just dicking around in elementary school. I'm comfortable determining whether someone actually can't breathe or whether they're faking it during a fight. But not everyone has that experience, so I think that's where mistakes are made. There's so much misinformation about how the body works, that makes it tough to get the right information to the guys who are making these calls in the middle of a fight.

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 1, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Haha, yeah. Our use of force instructors taught us carotid restrictions because airway restrictions are dangerous. :ironicat:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think it's hard to not charge someone being that a dude can't really sever his own spine when he's cuffed in paddy wagon.

When I first heard about the case, my first thought was that the guy was probably in the back of the van in a bad position and he somehow broke his neck. An officer breaking someone's neck during a fight (or beating, depending on circumstance) didn't even occur to me.

That reminds me: I've read in a few articles that the officers apparently breached policy by not seat belting the deceased into the van. Do they seriously have seatbelts in their vans? Do any of you?

None of our transport vehicles have seat belts in the prisoner compartments and I've never seen another agency up here that has them either. The reasoning seems very self-evident. Is that just :canada: ?

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 1, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

We have seatbelts in our vans. DC police have a roller coaster style bar that comes down across the waists of the people in their vans, plus the seatbelt.

:stare:

And you've never had problems with strangulation? Or do the vans only have retracting lap belts?

The roller coaster bar sounds awesome though.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

How would they get strangled? Seriously I'm curious. We're not wrapping it around their neck, it's a regular retracting seatbelt.

From my limited understanding the roller coaster bar is for when they can't safely put the seatbelt on (person is combative, whatever) so they have some restraint.

Well, my primary concern is them strangling themselves. Putting a seatbelt immediately beside their head gives them a ready made noose.

The second concern I have is them strangling each other, but if they're all buckled in, it's less of a concern.

I think our policy is predicated on avoiding self harm as opposed collision injuries. Apparently when they put the cages in our vans, they had a safety expert do the math and the internal dimensions are optimized to minimize injury in a collision. That's the justification I read in a court case when we were sued for not buckling in prisoners.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Rad Lieutenant posted:

So are they expected to stop and question the other officers PC before lending a hand in loading a dude into a van?

"Whoa there Rick, I know this guys handcuffed and laying on the ground and needs help getting into that van but before I do anything I'm going to hold an impromptu probable cause hearing right here in the loving street cause no way am I being charged with murder 2 weeks from now when it turns out he only had a pocket knife."

Yeah. That's extremely concerning if it set precedent.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

E Depois do Adeus posted:

A Paramedic (an instructor, no less) told me a story about how he arrived on the scene of a suicide. The cops + FD were already on scene and the guy still had the gun in his hand. He apparently tripped over the guy and the gun went off (without hitting anyone). He said that this was the fault of the police for not securing the weapon properly.

With that in mind, does anyone have any good stories involving EMTs/Paramedics? Asking as a soon-to-be EMT.

Working paid duty at a concert, this chick gets taken into custody for being ludicrously intoxicated. As were explaining this to her, she goes unconscious. EMS shows up and starts doing sternum rubs to wake her drunk rear end back up. She wakes up and immediately starts flipping out, trying to get away. The Emt's grab her and start wrestling with her, yelling"stop resisting" while five cops just stand there incredulous.

The role reversal was delicious. Once they had a grip on her I just leaned in and clicked on the cuffs and shackles. :smug:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Cops stood by while an intoxicated female was sexually abused by a couple EMTs. Got it.

Yeah it was nice to see the love glove on the other hand for once

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Grem posted:

You just flick their eyeballs, that's the only way I was taught.

Sternum rub for waking up drunks, pinching the poo poo out of the inside of their bicep for females.

I'm not a sexist rapemonster so it's sternum rubs for everybody

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Foxes having sex and keeping council estate residents awake.

We asked the foxes to quieten down. They refused.

Is dogging still a thing over there?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Well at least the Internet didn't lie to me

:unsmith:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there any cops here that do some form of martial arts? Been working as a bouncer for about a year now and I've been doing judo & grappling for ten years, couldn't even think about doing that job without that sport experience.

I work with guys who are really serious about a couple of different martial arts, including a dude who is a prominent boxing coach in our area. They're good to have around, but martial arts are only part of the whole spectrum of dealing with people. I'd rather have a guy with a silver tongue and limited martial arts experience, because it limits the possibility of me getting punched in the face and having to punch someone else in the face. I can think of a few guys who are tough as hell and amazing fighters but my skin crawls when I work with them because they have such a short fuse.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I should add to clarify that there's a sweet spot for martial arts prowess in policing. The guys who take it really seriously also seem to be really zen and chilled out, but the guys who take it semi-seriously but talk about it all the time are also the guys who are the most dangerous to work with. Same thing with guns.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I could see a public administration or MBA of some use for command aspirations. Computer or IT as computer forensics and network intrusion is the crime de jour and has outside career potential after you retire or get hurt or don't pass the application process.

I definitely wish I would have done a comp sci degree instead of criminal justice. But I can't change that now.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I tried it once before. I worked in law enforcement for a year and was like "I need to finish my degree" so I went back to university and I made it one year. I couldn't handle the people. I was surrounded by idiots. Students who would protest in the quad with signs like "Stop The Violence". Stop what loving violence? Where? Grad students who have never left their mom's basement who will insist on telling you how the world works. :argh:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I'm in grad school right now and all of my classmates have been pretty chill except for one glaring exception. :shrug:

Listen to this grad school motherfucker telling me how the world works

QED :colbert:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

While I don't have any interest in pursuing other fields of study, I'll be sure to find out about the academy process around here before I get any deeper in criminal justice courses. It sounds like I should know exactly where I want to work prior to graduating.

The DC thing sounds like something I might've considered if I'd known from the start that this was what I wanted to do. I'm 32, so not exactly "young", and my post-grad funbux are only usable in the state of Wisconsin.

You might rapidly develop an interest in other careers if you blow your knees out or get hit by a drunk driver and end up with a hosed up back.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Is it becoming more difficult to receive compensation for work-related disability? I mean I obviously have no idea what kind of toll a decade or two of patrolling takes on your body or what sort of career(s) exists beyond that, so I appreciate the advice. I'm not a guy who's going to pick-up a Comp Sci or Accounting or Biology degree on a whim- especially not as a means to increase my earning potential for a job/career in those fields that I have no intention of ever pursuing.

I'm not married, I don't have kids, and I have no debt. If I wanted to avoid $10-12/hr security work (or $14-16 you-have-a-bachelors-in-something-work), I wouldn't be pursuing a Film BFA. Waiting and living thriftily won't be a problem.

Well, up here I think long term disability is still only 55% of your base salary. So I'd go from $85k/yr to $38k/yr. I'd rather live on that for one year while I recover and line up an alternative career than five years because I need a new education to get another good job.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Branis posted:

99.9% of criminals are painfully stupid. Not only do they usually botch their burglaries, but once you have them in an interview room they usually talk themselves into a confession despite trying their best to lie.

It's even better when they have a scheme they've cooked up. Some of the smuggling attempts I've seen at the border have been pretty funny, especially when you start questioning them.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I take all my law enforcement moves from Night Court

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
"I'll do everything your wife won't let you"

She got credit for creativity. Never went to trial though. :(

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

nothing of value was lost

:hf:

Satisfies every time

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Had the silent alarm pushed at the courthouse once. We get there and nothing is happening. One of the clerks motions us over and points out a lady in a wheelchair that was having trouble getting into an elevator, and asks us to give her a hand getting on. The clerk pushed the silent alarm button because her manager told her "just push that button if you ever need help" :psyduck:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
She also got indignant when my old school super jaded partner gave her poo poo, because "if you made it here so fast, you probably weren't busy anyways"

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Cole posted:

why does anybody get locked in with one party

if a republican came out and said "I AM LITERALLY GOING TO GRATE YOUR rear end in a top hat LINING AND THEN gently caress IT AFTER I DIP MY COCK IN ALCOHOL BY THE WAY gently caress BLACK PEOPLE" and die hard republicans will be like "YEAH I'M VOTING FOR THAT GUY!" on the basis that he is a republican.

idgi

first honest politician ever

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I loved hinged cuffs but our agency policy says we can't carry and use them on our belt. they're only allowed to be used for prisoner transports. Which makes no sense to me, but whatever.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Branis posted:

Harry will smother Charles in his sleep.

If we're lucky.

Our province will apparently have to change all of our titles and signs and poo poo for the Court Of Queens Bench to Court Of Kings Bench and freemen will have a loving orgasm because the style of crowns will be wrong on our letterhead for months until we unfuck it

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

no duh idiot im talking to our socialist neighbor

Clinging to them is the only thing that distinguishes us from you turds anymore

Oh, and our standard of living :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Volume posted:

How do the cop goons in this thread feel about Officer Colin Boone being sentenced to 5 years for violently attacking a man who was experiencing a medical emergency?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2015/06/22/colin-boone-sentencing-excessive-force/29106285/

it's a travesty of justice

he should have got a medal for taking care of business

• Locked thread