Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
straighten that poster aaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. loving food poisoning. My rear end is a geyser.

Pretty sweet avatar you've got there, dude.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah because people who use drugs at all are degenerate scum. Legalizing it might mean that some of those worldviews aren't black and white, and we can't have that, now can we?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Astonishing Wang posted:

My last order from Rock Auto had 6 air filters, in a box that could hold at least 20.

Amazon also seems to do a super lovely job of fitting the item to the correct box. I know I can't really complain about waste since I'm the rear end in a top hat doing all of the ordering, but I swear everything I order not only comes alone in a box, but the box is almost always comically large compared to the item.

HP is notorious for this kind of thing.

Two sheets of paper:

One memory stick:

One 10' power cable:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Extra posted:

I'm having a hard time figuring out why local "mom and pop" businesses can't have an online storefront and order processing with a local warehouse for pickup.

Because that assumes a lot about their logistics capabilities. If you have 20 retail employees, you might not have someone to write you up some software to interface whatever platform you're using for inventory. Since it's a small operation, you might not even have super accurate inventory anyway, and rely on hand-counts of the important stuff every once in awhile. There might not be an easily accessed database of what product is currently in-stock, and if it exists it might be in some old-rear end format that won't play with a web frontend very well.

Basically, it's complicated, and you'd need to burn a lot of manpower integrating whatever system they use with whatever framework you want to hang your e-commerce site on, and a lot of them are probably past the point of that kind of thing being profitable. Especially when you only have a couple employees.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Brigdh posted:

Logistics capabilities isn't really the excuse it once was.

IBM will happily sell you an inventory system that has all the same general features and based on the same enterprise quality software that the elephants like WalMart use, for a reasonable price and designed for businesses that really don't have their own in house IT or are slightly behind the technology curve. Pretty much a plug it in, boot it up, click a few buttons, and its up and running/ Check under their small and medium business offerings.

I know of a few small start ups that are trying to hook up existing POS systems to an Android or iPhone app to help businesses manage inventory, see customer metrics, and do social media type advertising among other things. Its all intended to be automated, so the business owner gets a notification on the phone when some product is selling faster this week than normal and probably needs a reorder ahead of schedule.

Maybe some mom n pop places are capable of doing that. The one I used to work for refused to use a computerized point of sale, instead opting for a cash register and a separate DOS inventory program, which was fed by hand-counts every six weeks. This business sells computers and electronics. :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Brigdh posted:

Thats not a logistics problem, thats a political problem.

It takes billable hours that small businesses can't afford, endless nights, to convert these kinds of systems into something modern that can be plugged into a modern system. Not to mention re-training, and paying for the software in the first place. The thing with small businesses is that they are small because they can't afford to be any bigger.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

Hey guys, remember me?

I was wondering what happened to the Tome of Antiquities. Sorry to hear about the Japanese penalty box. Glad things worked out with that one gal, you guys seemed perfect together.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

Just a heads up to anybody into game of thromes, the first 4 episodes of the new season leaked, so there will probably be a ton of spoilers everywhere, the biggest being Luke and Leia are brother and sister

lol.

For those seriously worried about spoilers, y'all know that the books exist, right?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

So down here in Cali

You gonna still be in the area for the (tentative) Saturday meetup/drive (which I might not even be able to make) that's been mentioned in the James Wood thread?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Gotta be at san jose airport at 4:30 saturday, what are the details?

dema posted:

Anyone wanna do Skyline, starting from 92, on Saturday morning (18th)? Then breakfast at Alice's.

Thinking pretty early, like start at 8am from that 92/35 overlook/vista parking lot. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4947397,-122.3682527,227m/data=!3m1!1e3

There are some confirmations in this thread.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

:can: T568A or T568B for home gigabit with CCA twisted pair cat5e?

568B is the de facto "standard" in the united states, but as long as you do it the same on both ends it doesn't actually matter.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

it seems like B focuses on backwards comparability with POTS. [...]

I got the impression "A" was the standard for residential, with B being commercial

Nah. Literally the only difference is that the orange and green pairs are switched.
B: O/W O G/W B B/W G Br/W Br
A: G/W G O/W B B/W O Br/W Br

The electrons don't care about what color the jacketing on the pair is, as long as they're twisted correctly. America tends to use B, and I've been told that A is more popular in Europe. If you want to make a crossover cable (for 100mbps and down, mind you; GbE uses all 4 pairs) you do A on one side, B on the other. Those speeds only use the orange and green pair (one for transmit, one for receive) so you switch them for crossover. The POTS pair (blue) is the same between both standards.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
RE: switches, usually the soho ones will have the little crosses on the bottom to wall-mount them. Otherwise, you can get wall-mount 1U brackets to hang whatever up there. Or just rotate the ears 90 degrees and screw them down. I've had good luck with D-link of all people; they have a fairly inexpensive 16-port managed switch that I've installed in the past with success.

E: This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127351
Or 24-port variant: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127356

As far as the HDMI-over-cat5 baluns, I don't have any reason to suspect that they suck. All HDMI cables are inside are shielded twisted pair anyway. If you are using UTP (which I assume you are) it's probably still fine, although I don't have direct experience with them.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 17, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Not only am I using UTP, I'm using CCA UTP. :cripes:

Can't argue with the price though - $39 shipped for 1000 feet, 24ga solid.

You know, the cost of these kinds of jobs isn't in the materials, it's in the hassle of having to string everything around. Having to redo it later because you used cheap wire just doesn't make any sense to me. But, do your thing, I guess. No idea how that'll do with HDMI, since that's a fairly high-bandwidth signal that's pretty sensitive to that kind of thing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'd imagine it would say on the jacketing or on the box if it was plated. Also, I'd think the plating would be pretty thin, so if you looked at a cut end it should be pretty obvious? I dunno, man :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mariooncrack posted:

If you have Windows 7 and your key laying around, you can reinstall Windows 7 64-bit with the same key. It should work fine. Not sure about Windows 8.

True for Vista, too. Probably true for 8, since I think they came with one key and two discs in the box.

If you don't have the key, but bought Windows (i.e. it wasn't preinstalled) you can use Produkey or jellybean keyfinder to pull it out of the registry. If it's an OEM preinstall, there are other methods, but they're more complicated.

Assuming your hardware is capable of 64-bit?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

This is pretty good, but keep in mind that you want to un-twist the pairs as little as possible. It's better to have more jacketing cut away rather than more untwisted pair, if you have to choose. What you have looks pretty good, but that blue pair on the cable second from the top is pushing it. Isn't the spec that you're supposed to have no more than 1" of untwisted wire length across the whole run? It's something like that. I don't remember exactly.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tide posted:

I see that on all models of Lexus. I think it's just a thing with them

Cat5 chat: I need a diagram showing what color go where on an att phone jack. Believe about 3/4 of the wires aren't needed, but don't know which ones to use and which to ignore

The thing that is most done (since, as was said, you only need one pair) is to connect the blue pair to the center two pins of the 6p4c. If you only have one line, that is all that matters. Basically, look at TIA-568 (both A and B are the same in this instance) and hook up only the blue wires.

Deeters posted:

It seems like almost every first gen Lexus IS I see has reverse lights that turn on with the brake lights. Any idea what causes that?

If you mean the center lights here:

(yes I know that's a GS not an IS but the IS300 looks similar)

Those are actually tail/brake lights. However, the red coating they use for the lens sucks and fades with time (or from the sun?) and they end up pretty much clear. In that picture, it looks like the driver side got replaced, and the passenger side is about halfway through losing its color. Is that what you mean? Or is it actually the reverse lights next to the turn signals?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fixed your link for you.

Look at the red and green wires on the jack itself. Those are the two wires you need, unless Uverse requires 4 wires (it's a form of DSL, so usually 2 wires). In your case, it looks like the blue and blue/white wires are the ones you need to be concerned with. The black and yellow wires at the jack are for a 2nd phone line.

That's not Cat5 at all, I have no idea what that is.

The installer might suggest a home-run jack - meaning one wired directly to the NID (the box where the telco wiring connects to the house), and usually wired with CAT5. I'd personally do that, UVerse is pretty drat picky about signal quality. If they're actually bringing fiber to the house itself (which is rare), rejoice. If you don't have a POTS line, I'd just have the installer disconnect the house wiring and hook up a home run jack, that eliminates multiple points of failure.

It looks like cat5 to me, just with the jacket stripped way back. Like you said, it's only the red/green wires you need to care about for a single-line POTS system. Yellow/black is for the second line. I have no idea what U-verse does wrt wiring, i.e. if it needs all 4 wires or just 2, but a normal POTS telephone only needs two. I remember it as the Christmas pair (red/green) is for line 1, and the Halloween pair (yellow/black) is for line 2. For tying into cat5, as you seem to have, it's correct to use the blue pair (blue/white and blue) for line 1 (Christmas) and either the green pair (green/white and green) or orange pair (orange/white and orange) for line 2 (Halloween). That is to say, it looks like you have it right.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

from my cold dead hands

I mean, car driving does cause tens of thousands of deaths per year, we should probably put more restrictions on it, maybe keep people from buying supercars especially if they have black interiors and manual transmissions. Modification should be strictly illegal without justification and a notary stamp.

Evil Black Racecar?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bajaha posted:

think off all the problems you could solve by just printing the part you need.

..out of really brittle, coarse plastic. Neat for prototyping, or if you want to make a positive for a mold or something, but it's not like you can just print a replacement mechanical part most of the time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CommieGIR posted:

Not essentially true, if you change the infill and shells properly, they are perfectly usable. Not to mention, add a heated bed and you can print with Nylon or ABS as well:

http://www.matterhackers.com/3d-printer-filament-compare

I'm actually printing the Belt Gears right now, and the extruder feed gears are also printed.

Those are pretty low-stress parts, but you're right that I was thinking mostly of PLA.

E:

Bajaha posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of making small interior trim pieces, gauge holders, replacing broken plastic pieces. Solutions to small problems, and applications where they're unlikely to be under much stress. Even around the house it would come in handy.

The other applications you mentioned (proto, and molds) would be pretty useful. Plus there's probably quite a few more problems that become that much easier if you have a 3D printer handy. Once we get 3D printers that can make more robust products, that's going to be truly revolutionary.

I'm not sure the resolution would be good enough for finished little plastic trim bits, but maybe it is. Wouldn't you rather have a desktop li'l CNC mill, though?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So what is even the deal with your habit of jumping ship from pizza place to pizza place every few months? Just a while ago I remember you gushing about how much better Jets was run than the place you came from; that the people were super chill and you made so much more money than the old place that was dicking you around. Now, you're moving to a new place, because you're making crap money and the old place is dicking you around? Is this going to happen again in 3 months? Is the grass really greener?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

......to decide exactly how many more cylinders than stock to go?

Yeah, really. LS is the obvious choice, but if you wanted to get fancy, maybe an M70?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Personally, I'd want the first one, since it's rattier and you'd have to do some choppin' to make things fit. I'd feel bad about desecrating the second one; it's too nice. Also, what are emissions like in your area? Here in CA, both those Datsuns are too new to be smog exempt, so you'd have a lot more hassle with any engine swapping.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Safety Dance posted:

I'm a member of a hackerspace. The board voted on, and passed, three policies today:

- No drinking between 2 AM and 9 AM (ostensibly due to laws or insurance)
- No animals that aren't service animals (ostensibly due to laws or insurance)
- No holding events that break laws, rules, invalidate our insurance, or hurt our potential 501(c)3 status.

Normal stuff, right? Nope. People are yelling about the board overstepping their bounds by creating invalid policies, etc. This is the kind of thing that will, doubtless, be dragged on for weeks. There will be bitter recriminations, people will get butthurt and leave, guaranteed. This is why we can't have nice things.

After reading the Noisebridge thread in YOSPOS, I'm pretty sure those are the people you want to leave anyway. gently caress 'em.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Finally can confirm that In-N-Out is one of the best drat burger chains out there. I'm in San Jose until Monday, any other nearby California things I should check out?

When DICKPOCALYPSE was down here last weekend, he mentioned Kirk's Steakburgers was one of his favorites, so maybe you should give that a shot.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IM LAYING NAKED IN MY ROOM POST SHOWER AND I JUST HAD THE HUGEST loving WOLF SPIDER RUN FROM THE BACK OF THE COUCH ACROSS MY BARE CHEST AND DISSAPEAR SOMEWHERE INTO THE DARKNESS

IT WAS LIKE TWO INCHES ACROSS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

She was flirting with you! :3:

The female ones are bigger, so I am making an assumption

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bolind posted:

You and me both. My grandma is wayyyy past her expiration date and I should really go visit her this weekend as I'll be out of town for a few weeks. I just have almost nothing to talk to her about, and she's kinda semi-senile so she has little idea about what goes on in my life.

Fuckit, I'll put a bunch of pics of the her great-grand miracle on the ipad in full resolution, show her those for ten minutes, then gently caress off to to the nearby tool store.

The thing to do is to get stories, if you can. I haven't had any grandparents in a number of years, and over the years there have been a lot of little things I've wished I had asked about at some point or another. I guess you can't know what those things are in advance a lot of the time, but if you've had something small you've been curious about, well, you aren't going to get many chances.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BraveUlysses posted:

row52.com buddy, use it!

also car-part.com

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

In CA we have rust free cars, even ones made by communists in Italy.

My mom got bit by a spider a few days ago though. She's an entomologist so I guess that's just a job hazard.

How does that work? Aren't spiders not insects?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Das Volk posted:

When 14" was driving with us on highway 35 there was a cloud of webs spun between the treetops crossing over the road. I have never seen something like that before but I'm convinced the spiders knew he was there.

At two separate points of our route, no less!

Magical :3:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Arriviste posted:

Could that have been webworms instead of spiders?

It was a crisscross of a few thick stringers across the road overhead, not a thick matting like those worms make. I guess it's possible, but it didn't look like that to me.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

For something you actually want to drive, carburetors suck. EFI is not much more expensive, if at all, if you use OEM components, and almost infinitely more reliable. I'd go with a hacked GM TBI before a carb. MegaSquirt preferably.

Replying to this here, because kastein asked me to not have conversation in poo poo up his thread.

What are the drivability problems with carbs? Both my daily and my truck are carbureted, and they seem fine. The closest things to "problems" I've had was that I had to rebuild the Holley on the truck after 50 years because it started dripping from the float bowl, and the Edelbrock on the car started idling weird one day (because my aircleaner hadn't been mounted correctly for longer than I'd like to admit), so I spent an afternoon with a can of carb cleaner and it's been fine since.

GM TBI seems fine if you value reliability and off-angle performance more than you do power. That's why I mentioned it. Megasquirt would be cool, but it seems like a lot of work for what you get. Plus, you'd have to do up a custom manifold with injector bungs and all that. Would be a neat project, though.

All these options are better than going out of your way to put a Chrysler motor into something, rather than taking it out :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cakefool posted:

There's nothing really wrong with carbs, but anything you can do with carbs you can do better, easier, more reliable, more efficiently with injection.

More efficiently? Definitely. Easier? Depends. The motor in question was an AMC small block, which doesn't have a lot of options. Either a $2500 Edelbrock sequential EFI setup, or a cheap junkyard GM TBI setup that you have to Frankenstein (which, IIRC, is great for economy and reliability, but doesn't make a lot of power). Or keep it carbureted, which is the cheap, easy option that makes power.

Darchangel said that carbs suck "for anything you actually want to drive", but to me the tradeoffs are really just in smoothness and economy. I don't see how my life sucks because I drive carbureted vehicles. Because you have to pump the pedal twice and choke it up a little bit to start it when it's cold? :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Okay, with that as a design goal then that's fine. I was approaching it from the angle of "I want a V8 in my Jeep" which to me means "I want to make power in my Jeep" so I suggested solutions that made more power than what I believe those Magnums do. I agree an LQ9 would be best, but I figured the AMC motor kept it in the family.

I usually consider EFI vs carb to be a function of what motor you use and what your usage case is, rather than by what vehicle it's going into. Like, it doesn't matter if the vehicle had EFI originally to me, it matters what options exist for the motor. I'd never put a carburetor on an LS motor, even if it was going into a carbureted vehicle. I'd probably also not bother putting EFI on an oldschool smallblock. I don't see it as a huge difference if we're talking the difference between mediocre EFI and a decent carb. My carbureted 350 starts fine in the dead of winter after sitting indefinitely too, just gotta pump it a couple times and pull the choke. EFI is neat though for offroading, which is why I mentioned the GM TBI.

Since you have a particular vision for the project, none of this applies, I'm just explaining why I think my viewpoint isn't completely idiotic. Plus, I just really like AMC stuff and really don't like the Magnum V8s. Without knowledge of your specific project, it just seemed like a lot of work to go through to swap in a motor that makes like 250HP. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

personal genital unit

Not sure if this is a better username, or band name.

• Locked thread