Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Crime Mob posted:

See me I ain't nothin nice
And crime mob it ain't no stoppin'
They be like Sadaam Husein, Hitler and Osama Bin Laden
Like they steady gum poppin
And I am actin a fool
I wish a hater would get crunk up on this crime mob crew
Now enough is enough boy
Rough and get stuffed boy
Luck is a must boy
Knuck if buck boy

Forever I love Atlanta. Goondolences on the bong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Christ, STR. Is your TV a laser array? I fall asleep with my DLP projector on all the time and don't have temperature issues.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

NitroSpazzz posted:

The M5 came with a hideous radio head unit. The rest of the stereo install is decent and will likely stay but I need a head unit that matches the rest of the car. Are there any companies that make head units that look like mid/late 80's BMW style but would function with a newer audio install? Basically I don't want a big screen, a bunch of lights and graphics.

edit: I'm stupid, ignore me

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Haw. Welcome to Hotlanta

Have we ever figured out who else lives in the north metro?
Also gently caress this pollen. Waxed the Tiger 10meter today. Took more time to get the scum line of pollen off the drat thing than putting ptfe on the whole wetted surface of the lower hull. X5 was a champ pulling it out, though! :D

e:

Holdbrooks posted:

Anyone got a good recommendation for a cheap obd2 reader on Amazon.? I have the wifi one and some iPhone apps but they don't like the fiat and won't read the codes. It won't start after the tune and I'm not sure if I unplugged something or my ECU is bricked.
anything elm327 based will work with torque. Wow I read gud. Go ahead and buy a cheap android tablet or something because Apple's bluetooth implementation is poo poo.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 10, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

We need more Atlanta Goons. :getin:

I need to get you out sailing one day.

Speaking of which, our North American Champion trophy came in last week with our shirts from the class association!

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Tiger_10_M)

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

The Locator posted:

Googled this. I am now officially jealous.

You should note I'm not the owner, just a very lucky crew member, with the blessing of the skipper to do what is necessary to make the boat go fast and win. You could call me the crew boss/first mate.

That's not even the craziest thing going on around here right now. My buddy does the same thing on a [redacted for legal reasons]
Yes. It is straight carbon loving fiber and it is insane. The owner tried to order it with a carbon fiber rig and couldn't find anyone to insure it because it'd be that insane. So its only aluminum, but considering the abuse we've put it through, that's probably a good thing.

I was on this ride and it was crazy. I'm not legally allowed to say what happened but...things broke that day. We're lucky the boat and everyone on board survived.

Start @4:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTlsK3xh7Hw

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 10, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

The Locator posted:

Awesome video, that thing was hauling rear end. I'm not sure how 'sailboat things' venture into the territory of not being able to legally talk about them. :) You are certainly living the dream though (well, maybe not everyone's).

When I was in my early teens I got to crew on an O'Day 29 that a friend of my father would enter in races (obviously not a serious racing series given that it's more of a cruising sailboat) and I loved it. I really have no idea how I drifted away and never got back into it. The older I get the more I really want to move somewhere that I could own my own sail boat. My 'win the powerball dream' would be to have a custom made boat based on the Baltimore Clipper topsail schooners of the early/mid 19th century, like this:

But with all the modern cruising sailboat features like auto-furling sails, diesel auxiliaries, etc. so that it wouldn't require a huge crew. It's a silly dream, but what the hell. :)

You might actually be able to answer a question that I've wondered for a long time now - why did modern sailboat designs mostly lose the bowsprit? Seems like it allowed the older designs to carry a silly amount of canvas, and it seems like sailboats are always trying to pack more sail area aboard.

Pending/possible legal action. ;)

Tall ships are sweet, I hope I'm able to sail one someday.

Sprits are a complicated question. Initally, the bowsprit was one of the best-secured parts of the boat, so it made sense to attach more sail area up there. As better materials in boat building and sailmaking came along, the tall ship and yawl rig went away because sloops made more sense. If you go back and look at the video of the Carbon Colubmia and the sailplan of the Tiger10 and other contemporary sportboats, the bowsprit is making a comeback, albeit, generally retractable. We've discovered that downwind, hoisting a big rear end spinnaker further off the forestay makes it easier to trim and to bend the apparent wind angle.

I might have gone a little bit overboard on the technicalities, there, let me know if I need to explain everything further--I can answer questions in more detail tonight after I get off work.

Tiger10m with the sprit deployed:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Its not really that boats are any more expensive than cars, really. Its just the luxury market they cater to. I work for West Marine and their margins are obsecene. A fool and his money, though.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
All I do all day is talk to disgruntled people who have already gotten bent over paying for overpriced merchandise for a literal luxury. Enjoy, FP. gently caress people. (In general, AI is awesome, love you guys.)

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Astonishing Wang posted:

Karma goes both ways I guess.
:golfclap:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Picked up a Dell branded 17" trinitron from a guy who was just going to throw it out. Currently watching remastered Star Trek TNG with the intended hardware. Its loving sweet.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

I'm glad West Marine aren't the only ones still using terribly outdated backend systems.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Commie, if I'm ever in need, could I bother you to use your printer for beer/cost/whatever you deem fit?

Also, SoWo is less than a month away! Made plans to attend yet?

Also, also, the mitty is this weekend. I have to work saturday so I didn't pay for the BMWCCA corral but I'll be there sunday. If you're in the Southeast and love RoadATL or you've never been there, check it out, looks like its gonna be great fun!
http://www.roadatlanta.com/the-mitty

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
According to the coke I'm chasing my bourbon with right now,
code:
high fructose corn syrup
and
phosphoric acid
Disclaimer: I'm sure this is colossal bullshit and they put way more awful stuff in it than that.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Grats, honky!

Glad to hear it commie. I'm bringing some 2.7tt buddies who would love to chat with you. Shoot me a text at 770.561.0020 so we can get together and chill. We'll have an rv at unicoi state park about 15 minutes north of Helen if you'd like to stop by/crash. Keg choice TBD.

The e30 might be getting the ghettolicious primed/sanded but not painted-sorta imola -iS valance installed for the gently caress of it before I take it up there. We'll see how the RV and e30 cooling system repairs go.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
My hp laser has done well in my scenario.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
If they're broken how do you fix them? Import the scans into Inventor then edit them to correct tolerances, there?

e: An old family friend got me an in for a technical writing position with a local embedded systems designer. They want writing samples. I've never really done any technical writing per se, just technically inclined pieces for the college paper and a few other small things. Hopefully the good ol' boy discount will be enough to at least get me an interview. I know I can do the job based on what they've told me the day to day is, but knowing and convincing someone else are two completely different things. :sigh:

e2: I should note I have a journalism degree so I'm sorta there, and its an entry level position so, hopefully, I'm just psyching myself out.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 21, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Glue the trim piece that broke, scan it, and then clean it up in AutoDesk

Is autocad/inventor really a single thing now? Jesus. I feel old and I'm 20 loving 4. I haven't seriously used either since highschool but I've played with 2013 and it seems like they've (badly) combined the two.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Autodesk did something not lovely. gently caress me. Splice the mainbrace.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Cool old(er he is like 48) dude I know had a Cayenne Turbo. He is extremely affluent but even he balked at the 6 grand dealer ceramic brake job. So he sold it on C/L and bought a CPO M6. :hehe:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

That is my office setup, the weekend is the only time I get to bring servers up or down for maintenance. We needed as larger storage array, so we bought this guy.

THIS, is my home setup:

Holy poo poo dude! That's loving sweet.

T-Square posted:

This weekend I banged an ex and it wasn't weird, shot guns with the payroll lady at work and her husband and 8 year old son (he said my .22 was cool looking so I let him shoot it :kimchi:), and just about finished up fixing the water pump leak on my E30. Tossed a gallon of coolant in it, because that was all that I had on hand, but so far it isn't dribbling out of the bottom of the water pump like it was before. Refinished the valve cover, which is currently drying. Will probably throw that back on tonight or tomorrow, then it should be good to go after I replace the leaky oil pressure switch. :toot:
Discovered yesterday that the e36 fan clutch wrench doesn't fit the e30. What the gently caress.

14" booze chat:

My man.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

T-Square posted:

Well you can borrow mine if you're near Milwaukee :v:

Did you pick yours up from ebay? Some other specific retailer?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

T-Square posted:

I ordered mine off of Bavarian Autosport, I think it's something like $30 or $35.

While I loathe bav's website, I'll probably do that, then.

Maybe I'll call them over lunch.

:captainpop: Go on.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

It's the brand new cable out of the box, and I did say that I'm finally getting a laptop without XP :v:

The joke about your masochism almost writes itself, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
loving hell man. This beer is for him

• Locked thread