Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Unfiltered hard cider = great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
So what do you call rover people? :v:

Staten Island Ferry has 16 oz beers for 3.50... That's a bargain!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MustardFacial posted:

I've started looking for a new job because I can't stand working for my parents any longer. I came across an ad for a diesel mechanic for Canadian Pacific, working on diesel locomotives and I'm thinking about applying for it. From what the ad says I could probably enter as a trainee, and work my way up from there. Working on trains sound super loving cool to me, but apart from that I know next to nothing about the locomotive industry. Any AI goons have high praise (or warnings)?

[edit] Apart from the diesel mechanic certifications, I may be way over qualified for this job.

They train you, all you need to know is do as you are told and work safely. You may be way over qualified but its simple work and its going to involve shifts nights/weekends/etc. But the money can't be beat!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Jesus, I don't know how some of you people deal with these expensive rear end phones, you may as well be walking around carelessly with $600 in your pocket.

I get made fun of for having an "out dated" phone. Its a droid xt907 and you know what, the drat thing takes a licking and keeps on ticking. gently caress it, I hate getting a new phone then trying to relearn all the drat settings and poo poo. Plus it was free :v:

But I am always a generation or 10 behind every one else when it comes to phones.

Also part of the Fast7 crew now. God drat, after 4 that poo poo got pretty awesome. Its just a good ol fashion shoot em up and drive fast movie. The ending was a little sad though :(

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Could this made to be better with...oh I don't know... A super charged 3800?

I mean part of the charm of a bi turbo is a lawn ornament.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

My ex (who put on 40lbs in the first year we lived together) lost her loving mind when I joined a gym. It got so bad that I had to quit going after two months because all she did was bitch about how she wasn't good enough anymore and other terrible poo poo.

Turns out she wasn't and I left her fatass.

haha, sounds like my ex wife. I worked in the yards, so I never really gained weight, as I was pretty physically active (these days not so much - I need to get after myself) But she was always doing the thing of the day which included:

-Buying her a elliptical to the tune of 800 bucks that was used exactly 5 times
-Zumba work outs to the tune of 200 bucks and was used 3 times
-A gym membership that was used exactly 4 times (I dont remember the cost)
-A YMC membership that was only used the day she signed up

Ugh, what a frustrating woman. Never happy, constantly wanting more and never happy with what she had.

Sorry for E/N here.... that was uncalled for.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

Well, apparently the refrigerant on my home's AC is low, because it iced up both the condenser and compressor. Ugh.

Thankfully, being an older house, it has a big swamp fan in the attic that suck the air out of the house. So that'll tide us over till pay day.

Do you have gauges? I can't imagine home ac being completely different from car ac. Same principal... Just bigger.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I know I have adapters for R404 in my tool box, that's the only reason why I threw it out there. Bit I have a buddy that does HVAC work, so a case of beer took care of any of those issues.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

I love chubby girls, fit girls remind me of dudes and it turns me off big time. Women should have soft, not hard bodies, so as a result chubby girls are more feminine and attractive to me :3:

Madonna used to be so cute in the 80's when she was chubby now she's gross and looks like a dude.

My future wife has big tits and junk in the trunk. She likes to have sex all the time, doesn't mind my car hobby....

Yep I got it made :)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I tried the fit girl thing... Just didn't do it for me. Boy rear end girls just don't do it for me. Just need curves!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Das Volk posted:

You know, Sir Mix-A-Lot has a huge collection of cars, I wonder if there's a correlation :v:

Hahah I didn't even think of it. My future wife is not perfect by far but she has been working out and changing diet. She's semi soft but lately... (With out sounding like a bro) Dang! She's shredded around 15lbs and has a goal of 45 or so more to go she says.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Why the gently caress are birds chirping and its 3 am and dark as poo poo out? Can some one please explain?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I've had my ups and downs in life but I'm figuring it out. Its mostly been by eliminating hateful/hurtful people in life. I have no tolerance now for the bullshit and its making things much better.

Also, any one on snap chat get on there for some train snaps. First one is mediocre but the second on has some lovely diesel idle.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I trimmed the fat as well. I like Facebook for a more of a photo album as I hate dealing with imgurs app. I have quite a few hidden albums for uploads of various stuff.

Plus I like AI people on Facebook. They always post the coolest stuff.

Edit: I also found that the less fake friends I have the more "real" friends in real life. Mostly because I'm a less miserable rear end hat and just happier in general. Its not a popularity contest.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 14, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Some times the wives just like a nice boring car. Because with out them, our driveways would be filled full of broken dreams, tears and oil stains.

The CR-V is a kick rear end vehicle though. Not to crow about the Hyundai Santa Fe, but its worth a look. We test drove one when we were looking for the GFs new ride, and it was a very competent CUV

Edit: The Santa Fe Sport does come with a 2.0 turbocharged 4 banger, its even decent on fuel FWIW.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Hahaha, thats the best.

Speaking of pets, a friend of mine has a bulldog. Its the most lovable drat thing, and now I want one. :3

meatpimp posted:

That poo poo is awesome and extremely valuable, Fart Pipe, get them in a safety deposit box and/or insured!

News: Community College enrollment for this Summer is down 50% from this time last year. That is a gently caress-ton. Why? I'm going to bet that a bunch of stupid kids believed Obama when he made that ridiculous statement during the State of the Union address where he promised free community college. I bet they are sitting back and planning on waiting until it becomes true.

It will never become true. Obama directly hosed the most impressionable and trusting demographic. :(

Well, most other industrialized countries, college is free, or drat near free.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Yep, and instead of that, we charge students interest rates on their student loans that are fully double what mortgages go for... even though some students owe as much as a house in Student Loans. 'murica. :911:

I don't want to get into huge debates about it, but we never invest in ourselves with quality health care, education and so on, but instead make it almost a crime to be "poor" like the latest rounds against welfare.

I commented the other day on a facebook status about how they think people shouldn't get hand outs from others etc etc. I casually pointed out that the mortgage interest tax credit is a free hand out, along with the those roads, that while we all pay taxes to use roads, that the truckers pay a much higher percentage of road taxes vs his fuel efficient car, so you know, he can thank those truckers.

My comment was deleted quickly.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well, I am going to be taking the plunge back into home ownership in augustish. I am quite sick of not being able to slap in a 240v outlet.

ITS RIGHT NEXT TO THE GOD drat BREAKER BOX WHY CANT I DO THIS YOU poo poo(land)LORD?

When I own my house, I am going to have black jack. And hookers. And 240v outlets every where. I'll even install it next to the bed just because I can :colbert:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have been watching MotorTrend's Road Kill on YouTube lately... God drat, I'd love to do that poo poo.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'd say most of us car geeks are science geeks as well. Post away!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sure seems that way.

I did the same when I accelerated out of the corner then saw the could behind me.

Friend runs a towing company so he came and picked me up, towed all the way back to the house. He's a BMW and E30 nut so it was a good time. I'm happy it didn't happen on the Tail of the Dragon or other twisty road full of motorcycles. Time to see how good Grundy's towing reimbursement is.

I cursed myself yesterday...

Haha. Its a curse with foreign cars and plastics. My old P38 rover was good at pissing coolant and plastics randomly making GBS threads themselves.

Though to be honest, I had way more issues with my suburban than I ever did with Rovers

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
gently caress all printers.

Except for the Laser Jet 4. loving tanks. If you can kill one, you really really did it right.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

I have less issues with printers ever since we got the Kyocera series laser printer/scanner combos at work. At home we have a Samsung color laser printer, and we've had zero issues with that.

I have kept out of the loop in terms of technology, but we have these god awful lexmark printers at work. I hate them fuckers with a passion, I just want to go all office space on them on a daily basis.

In other news, I am finally getting my heat dialed in right on my welder, and really starting to get this welding thing figured out. I am still not perfect, but I am really getting there.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Land Rover did one better and you actually need to vacuum out the old oil in order to do an oil change on the latest LR4 and Range Rover. :psyduck:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

He'll be back.

But honestly, a Cayenne turbo is just about worth the pain and expense if you need that kind of space. They really are a hell of a lot of fun for something that size.

Are they really closely to the VW Touareg? The turbo V8 model looks like a shitload of fun.

Edit: I wish they stuffed the W12 with a turbo into the Cayenne. Balls to the wall stupid fun in a SUV that's pretty tidy.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Re: Spouse chat

I am glad mine has friends that are pretty tolerable. Most of her friends husbands are into smoking meat, shooting guns, and a few other things that interest me. She likes hanging out with most of my friends, but their spouses are a bunch of stick in the mud type people. But FWIW - I really don't care for most of my friends spouses - its not like they are lovely or awful people, but they aren't super huge into the things I like.

Liquid Communism posted:

Jesus titty-loving Christ I hate previous owners.

I knew my XJ had developed a mysteriously fast-spreading rust problem in the rockers. I did not expect that the rear corner of the rockers, on both sides, was actually tinfoil and bondo stretched over Great Stuff and then covered in bedliner. This loving guy, I swear.

Well, I knew I was probably replacing the rockers anyway, and I needed to learn to weld, but I guess it's higher priority now. Any good suggestions for learning how to do bodywork for dummies?

Watch Mills Fleet Farm ad, they run a special on the Hobart Auto Arc 130 for 350ish- Its a 110v unit, comes with a cart, regulator, helmet and machine, and a bonus, the Auto Arc 130 is "last years" Miller. Even when you pull the manual up online, it pops up as Miller and no mention of Hobart. I know we live in the same area - shoot me a PM if you want to try mine out. I need to get a bottle on mine, but I have flux core, and once you get poo poo dialed in, its smokey and has a little more spatter than MIG.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ozmiander posted:

Jesus. My Lincoln was like $700 from Homedepot.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/hobart-auto-arc-130-wire-feed-mig-welding-kit/0000000031165

The Hobart Handler 140 is more, I know the 10 amps over the Auto Arc 130 would have been helpful, but my next step will be 220v, so save a little cash right now.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/hobart-handler-140-mig-welder/0000000069035

Edit: the duty cycles were the same a max, just 130amps vs 140amps, would have upped me from doing 3/16 to 1/4. But pretty much all cars frames are 3/16 or less, so I am fine with what I have.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 25, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

Whoops, sorry, I am not saying that you guys could be replaced by computers. What I meant was "I dunno why anyone capable of flying a commercial airliner actually puts up with the poo poo pay and horrible hours/stress to do so". I would become a pilot for a corp jet or ultra rich eccentric with his own fleet in a second, but flying cattle cars around in the sky full of ornery passengers and getting poo poo on by the company for it while they dick you over pay wise? Fuuuuuck no. You have my undying respect for actually sticking to that because I don't think I would ever make it keep working.

I actually sat next to a pilot last trip - he was dead heading home, we got to bullshitting about work, etc. My job - hours suck, being away from home sucks, but at least I am paid pretty decently for it all. He was making half of what I made for way more bullshit, more hours, and less sleep. Why on earth some one would do that poo poo for what they make is beyond me (again the love of flight)

He was actually asking me about working for the RR, so I gave him all the specifics, he emailed me today and said that he is applying.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, I'm not terribly worried about pretty. Gonna cover the bottom quarters with bed liner anyway since I spend so much time on gravel and salt that they're inevitably hosed.

Good call. I've got 220V available, but it's directly wired to the compressor. :) I'll keep an eye out.

If you can get a 220V mig, do it, but be prepared to shell out some cash. I know the entry level Hobart 220v model is the Handler 190, which runs around 700. The mid level model is 1500. But if you can afford a 220 machine, get it.

SiF uses a chinesium model that is a good bang for the buck as well. Everlast and Longevity welders seem to be rated pretty high, and they are also good bangs for the buck. Just don't go with a HF model or some eBay special, because those are absolute trash.

Edit: I forgot - add in safety gear too, gloves, welding apron, helmet, etc.

Just don't get the cheaper auto darkening, get a good one.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 25, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think I've nearly got enough paint on this thing to give it a final wet sand, then see what I can do about getting a shine on it.

(that dark stuff at the back is just shadow from a tree)

Did you paint it yourself? Nice work!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
A properly tuned carb is a good actually. My jjjjaaaagggg has a carbed 400 small block and it starts and runs fine.

It does get crabby when cold but meh. The bigger problem was E-10/15 bringing in all the gunk into the jets, etc.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You could do a 6.5 lump in a jeep but that's a heavy gutless motor too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

You heard the man, everyone start grafting in chevy TBI setups

GM TBI: replacing carbs because gently caress carbs.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Oh my god I can't stop farting.

^^^^The reasons why I don't go out in crowds much any more.

I don't know... I just hate dealing with idiots any more. Maybe its because I'm getting old or I just like hanging out with my social circle. But gently caress me, dealing with other people some times becomes painful.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

88h88 posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan of stretching tyres stupidly but it's 'scene' so it'll happen. Also I'd rather kids piss their money away on bikes and maybe learn how they work than end up down a bar every weekend quite literally pissing their cash up the wall or snorting coke... At least they have something to show for it.

I am for more people wrenching as well. I don't necessarily like the styles and stancing crowd, but at least people are out in the garage.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Welp, I watched some videos about metal shaping on youtube... now I need to go spend money.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Slow is Fast posted:

anyone who feels REALLY STRONGLY about a stupid loving phone or stupid loving keyboard is someone who has too much free time and is probably insufferable to hang out with HTH.

I just pray my poo poo turns on and works. Explains why my computers are at least... 8 years old and my phone is 2 years.

Yes I still use XP. No I don't care. poo poo works, that's all that matters.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

:( Adiabatic needs an internet hug. :glomp:

Big group hug!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Don't you have a Miata to go drive and rave about or something?

You have posters confused.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Could be worse. If I owned a Rover I'd be living in a cardboard box by now.

My house is not a cardboard box, but a well constructed shanty with the rest of the town homes around here. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
get up to make lunch come back later.... 41 new posts.

About absolutely nothing.

Its like Seinfeld, only Seinfeld is actually funny.

• Locked thread