Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Isn't it just a squareback? Or is it some super rare variant non-VW people don't know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

There's no anything friendly radio units anymore. Aside from Blaupunkt everything else looks like it belongs in a riced out 90s honda civic. I'm convinced there's a huge market for somebody to design a halfway decent head unit with a simple utilitarian design that doesn't flash blue, red and orange lights every time you turn on your car.

Don't forget Becker.

Unfortunately both of them are a whole lot more money than I want to spend on a radio.

I think you're right: if someone came out with a mid to lower market non-blinkenlight radio with the BT, handfree, AUX in features you can now find in $80 radios they would probably do well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

I need a cigar, whiskey, and a quiet fishing spot.

I have to say, you seem to have your poo poo sorted quite well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Re: girls (and people in general, I guess)
I have met girls from every race, height, body shape, nationality, eye color, hair color, whatever that I would gladly date.
Doesn't matter. Not anorexic, not a land whale, have some interesting hobbies (awesome if we have some common ground hobby wise, but don't have to) and a job, be happy with your life and emotionally stable with some semblance of a sense of humor and I'm sold.

I'm strongly of the opinion that there are unhappy people and happy people. Why? I know some pretty unhappy people. Some of them have moved 3-5 times, always blaming their unhappiness on where they are, what they do for work, etc. Somehow they're still unhappy where they live next, too. Why? Because happiness is a state of mind, not a place*. Other people are happy no matter what, or mostly happy.

I don't like boring, emotionally unstable, or unhappy/negative people in my life. At this point I've realized that most people never change, and they certainly can't be made to change, they have to WANT to change, so if someone doesn't fit that bill and isn't family... sorry, bye. I don't need them negative waves in my life, Moriarty.

Self awareness goes a long way too. If you can't make fun of your own faults, you take yourself too seriously.

* I know this sounds pretty hypocritical seeing as I bag on Indiana and Florida a lot, I just happen to know or hear of a lot of wackjobs from those states I guess :v:

lifepro.txt

You seem to have poo poo figured out man. This is all the truth.

Especially the part about people not changing. When someone appears to have changed fundamentally and quickly it's an act. How much they changed is inversely proportional to how long they can keep pretending.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My preferred sport to watch on TV is better than your preferred sport to watch on TV.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Locator posted:

RE: SWAT. Marana is a pretty small town (about 40k population). I imagine that the police that you could see in that video was a sizable portion of the on-duty officers at that time. They have 85 sworn officers total. I seriously doubt that they have a SWAT team.

Most SWAT teams in areas with small towns are county teams consisting of officers from the various departments.

some texas redneck posted:

:can: T568A or T568B for home gigabit with CCA twisted pair cat5e?

568B. Always 568B. Because.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlesM posted:

Don't redo the jacks you've done already! As long as you use the same on both ends it doesn't matter! They are 100% the same.

And most relatively new switches are auto MDI/MDIX anyway, so even if you swap standards on each end it will still work.

Raluek posted:

Or just rotate the ears 90 degrees and screw them down.

Yes. Motronic_Barn_Cross_Connect.png

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

No, they just had recalls for fire risks. (2015 Chrysler 200 Sedan recall for wiring harness fire risks)

And the Grand Cherokee's vanity mirror lighting it ablaze.

Don't forget the early 90s spate of Grand Cherokee fires caused by a bad grommet on a bundle going through the firewall. I put out at least 5 or 6 of those.

kastein posted:

I think my favorite wiring fire issue has to be the F150 one that burns the truck to the ground, however.

I put out 4 of those, and one was in an attached garage and had started overnight with the residents in the house asleep. It had breached the door of the garage and extended into the attic by the time it was discovered. The garage/truck was OFF when we got there. Ended up venting the roof of the garage while another two crews went through the front door and pushed the fire back through the attic and downstairs hallway to the garage.

That was a fun morning.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Truth. The A+ is basically trash, I got it when I was 15. Thankfully, I found that out quickly and got m MCSE and CCNA

The only time I've seen A+ being useful/required is if you work at a shop doing warranty work. Some manufacturers consider A+ alone to be good enough to get warranty authorized on their product lines, some require A+ and a short test.

When I took it they were still asking about jumpers for IRQs and base memory addresses and how to use COPY CON come make a CONFIG.SYS if you didn't have any other editor available.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

They are. Also detailed repair questions about inkjet printers.

WTF. When I was working in a shop HP wouldn't even send us (warranty) parts for inkjet unless it was one of the fuckoff huge ones. They were basically disposable/depo repair.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

He'll be back.

But honestly, a Cayenne turbo is just about worth the pain and expense if you need that kind of space. They really are a hell of a lot of fun for something that size.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It's so drat gripping, I honestly couldn't get myself to put it down once I started, so I read it over a weekend. Recommended it to my mom who had basically the same reaction. What I particularly love isn't that it really isn't that far-fetched, almost everything described in the book is quite doable with contemporary science and technology, if we put our minds and money to a manned mission to Mars.

What a great book. I had exactly the same reaction/reading pattern.

And supposedly there is a movie in the works.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I needed to sleep on the flights up, instead I read the book. I planned on taking a nap when I got to my parents house, instead I'm reading this book. Pretty sure I'm not going to sleep tonight until I finish it.

I think it could make an amazing movie. So far I can't think of anything they would need to change to adapt it to a movie. Please don't gently caress it up hollywood.

Matt Damon...what could possibly go wrong?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Astonishing Wang posted:

Really? Dude delivers a lot of mail in a day.

My mail carriers know well enough to bring things to the shop rather than the house when a garage door is open. (not just USPS but FedEX and UPS as well) They remember stuff on their route.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Could be worse. If I owned a Rover I'd be living in a cardboard box by now.

It's not so bad this time of year now that it's getting warmer.

And the cardboard box leaks way less than my sunroofs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

goatse guy posted:

I got promoted to manager of our business development center at work. I'm excited about the pay raise and the new responsibilities, but I'm more excited about never having to work past 6 pm.

Nice! So what does that entail? Is that still individual customer facing stuff (probably not if you don't have to work past 6) or more higher level marketing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

goatse guy posted:

and listen to all of their crybaby bitching about how so-and-so gets all of the leads.

lol

Sounds good.

• Locked thread